The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 5:21pm

Post #51 of 402 (29896 views)
Shortcut
     His voice during this scene got to me [In reply to]  

The slight pained exhalation of breath when Thranduil says"I have faced the great serpents of the North" was brilliant. Thorin looks stunned into silence.

ETA: The confrontation between Thorin and Thranduil in this scene will be contrasted nicely at the end of Bo5A when Thranduil lays Orcrist upon Thorin's tomb (PJ better show this and not give this to another character).

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 27 2014, 5:29pm)

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 5:58pm

Post #52 of 402 (29866 views)
Shortcut
     just my 2 cents :) [In reply to]  

So.. finally back from work with some time to spend. Unfortuantely the "quote"things makes some problems..

There's only ONE King! Heart

aww. I do so love this scene.. especially THAT arrogant look, aye thorin is small but still it has this "i look down on you, even if you would be 2 meters" .. gosh. I'm lost :D

In Reply To
That's really what it comes down to, his eyes! They are just amazing. When he talks about the gems and they take on that sparkle/gleam --love that part!

Oh me too, i could watch this scene from the EE a thousand times without getting bored (and I'm pretty sure I've almost reached the 1000 times). That was also the reason why I created this chroma keying imagine with the sparkling blue eyes. I love chroma keying itself and the eyes were just so very perfect for it so I tried :D .. there are some chroma-keying gifs also around (although I think the blue is too turquoise)

I really wished I would have more time to create some photoshop based fanart but I'm so busy *sob*

This one, and the chroma key thing are the only ones I did so far (which annoys me a little)

In Reply To
While Thorin is "my man" (dwarf... whatever) and has been for years (well, RA has at any rate), Thranduil IS pretty impressive. He is what I always imagine male elves to be like when I am reading the books. Lee Pace is plays him very majestically, in his own way and is completely convincing imo The Elves are a little too androgynous for my taste- think it must be an age thing... I would definitely have been a Thranduilite in my 20's and early 30'sSmile

For me it's pretty funny as I love RA as actor since that Robin Hood stuff a looong time ago and as Mr. Thornton in N&S he's just so very perfect .. but as Thorin.. I don't know, i do not really warm up.. no idea why, honestly, it's so strange. The voice is still amazing, yes, even better than in the BBC-series but I lack something (and I cannot even tell what it is).

I'm not sure if it an age thing, in my early 20ies when the LotR movies came out I was so into beardy, dirty rangers .. gosh.. (and that has not really change, I still love Aragorn.. but only the strider one, the king-one is rather boring)
an elf? blond? naaay, never xD I never liked Legolas much (it still has not changed), he was always way too nice and so on.. but I'm lost on his Ada Angelic. Would anybody have told me .. I would have been: *huuuge eyes* LOOL naaay, never.. and now? I'm totally in this fandom thing again, worse than ever before.. that's so bad, really, I lack the time to do so Blush

In Reply To

Oh I really have to check this out, thanks :)

So.. let's come to things I'm really looking forward

for the EE
- I want to see the interaction between Legolas and Thranduil, the scene from the B-rolls, where both are standing & it looks like if they have an argument. I think *possible spoilers* that Legolas did not rush immediately after Tauriel out of the palace but went to his dad to report that Tauriel went missing and tries to convince him, that he can join her (or he + other elves should join and aid).

Reasons why I think so:
- Legolas wears different garments when he meets Tauriel at the river
- Legolas says "the king is angry" - how would he know if he would have rushed directly after her?

Ohh.. I would dye for that scene, really!

Also I have the impression that the Thorin/Thranduil scene is longer, it seems (for met) cut at the beginning.

And I want to see how his red coat lands on the throne. it must be in. it MUST !

For TABA
- fighting... YEAAAH.. but please no weird-PJ-fighting (Legolas surfing down the stairs & the Mumakil).. more the Aragorn-fighting style
- the reaction when Bilbo gives him the necklace.. Awww.. I literally can see the gaze.. *drools*
- if Legolas calls him Ada I will be f**** freaking out in the cinema, really Angelic

Err.. I think that was kind of long.. and to end it: some pics for you

This was posted with the header "other lands are not my concern"

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 6:05pm

Post #53 of 402 (29684 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome Thranduiliel [In reply to]  

Welcome Thranduiliel to the boards at TORn!

In Reply To
Thranduil first turned my head when the trailers came out, and his deliciously rich, smooth, velvety voice came out on the voice-over. I was hooked with the voice before I saw the face. The whole package is amazing. LP's height adds the final touches as he towers over everyone else.

I've taken an interest in LP's work since June of last year, and have enjoyed The Fall and Pushing Daisies in particular. I have to say his English accent has greatly improved since he filmed Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day, where it sometimes veered between Northern English with a hint of Scottish! As an English person, I find his accent in DOS more than passes muster! I noticed in in the B-Roll online video that he was still pronouncing 'endure' with an American accent, but had swapped the pronunciation for a perfect English one for the final take.Cool

Happy to be among fellow Thranduil appreciators!

HeartHeartHeartHeart

What a lovely description of LP's voice! It is indeed velvety and smooth. *fans self*

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 6:08pm

Post #54 of 402 (29772 views)
Shortcut
     Ada! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
For TABA
- fighting... YEAAAH.. but please no weird-PJ-fighting (Legolas surfing down the stairs & the Mumakil).. more the Aragorn-fighting style
- the reaction when Bilbo gives him the necklace.. Awww.. I literally can see the gaze.. *drools*
- if Legolas calls him Ada I will be f**** freaking out in the cinema, really Angelic

OMG right there with you!
Heart

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 7:02pm

Post #55 of 402 (29795 views)
Shortcut
     ..Ada.. [In reply to]  

In Reply To

In Reply To
For TABA

OMG right there with you!
Heart

Ohh.. I am not alone xD
Im soooo totally into this "Ada" thing.. and the gorgeous fanart on tumblr does not help, either Heart

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 7:56pm

Post #56 of 402 (29691 views)
Shortcut
     speechless [In reply to]  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rzkhNTIxE

I am giggling like a teenager!!LaughLaughLaugh

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 8:02pm

Post #57 of 402 (29673 views)
Shortcut
     Sweet Dreams! [In reply to]  

That's too funny! "You forgot your hat!" *BWAHAHAHA*

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 8:06pm

Post #58 of 402 (29685 views)
Shortcut
     So sweet! [In reply to]  

Nope, you're definitely not alone. That first one is so pretty and sweet. So much pretty all over Tumblr, dA and pixiv! http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?s_mode=s_tag&word=thranduil (there may be images on pixiv not to everyone's liking [i.e. slashy] so viewer beware)

In Reply To
Ohh.. I am not alone xD
Im soooo totally into this "Ada" thing.. and the gorgeous fanart on tumblr does not help, either Heart

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 27 2014, 8:15pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 8:18pm

Post #59 of 402 (29660 views)
Shortcut
     enjoy! [In reply to]  

1:23 Dad, I wanna see the dwarves. No, Legolas, you might catch a beard...
2:16 not amoosed Evil
2:41 Jack, sorry, Ori, draw me like one of your French girls...Angelic

Barbarb
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 8:31pm

Post #60 of 402 (29625 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you! [In reply to]  

I really love that intro. And I love those cartoons they are so cute Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 8:36pm

Post #61 of 402 (29626 views)
Shortcut
     Agree w. serpentine [In reply to]  

Which IMO is a good thing as it's too bad snakes get the bad rap - they are beautiful and do so much good re eating rodents etc.
When Thranduil twists his (long) body around Thorin to look at him is one of my favorite movements of Thranduil's - also reminds me of a sinuous, long-bodied feline. Just beautifully played, but then the whole scene is and wish there were more of it *sigh*.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 8:44pm

Post #62 of 402 (29608 views)
Shortcut
     Agree about wanting more of this scene [In reply to]  

That appears to be unanimously faved. Fingers crossed for the EE!!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 9:00pm

Post #63 of 402 (29656 views)
Shortcut
     *Adjusts helmet* So, Thranduil fans, do U want MORE Thrandy and LESS T & L? [In reply to]  

Because I think there's a lot of T & L fans on this thread. Personally I'm a [friendly] lurker in that until Thranduil appeared my attitude toward elves was "eh". And as a Thorin Thrall if someone's going to dis the Mountain King they had better be something special, which I found Thranduil to be. Not that I wouldn't have laughed if Thorin head-butt Thranduil, but seriously Thranduil to me is the epitome of every elven king leader-of-the-wild-hunt folklore story I have ever read. The Fisher King indeed.

So while I don't have raging objections to Legolas and Tauriel (at the moment) there IS only a limited amount of screen time. So, I'll say it - to me these two pale in comparison. For me anyway.
Think Legolas in particular is suffering in comparison to his daddy. And while my attitude is there can NEVER be too much Thorin and dwarves, assuming there's going to be elves, I want lots and lots of Thranduil, and save T & L stuff for the EE version.

But I figure elf lovers by default have more right to say than anyone. On the other hand, for me, I'd rather see the Mirkwood elves than spend a lot of time at Dol Guldur.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 10:13pm

Post #64 of 402 (29580 views)
Shortcut
     Hopefully I didn't forget anyone! [In reply to]  

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, CathrineB, Bernhardina, hobbitylass, Thranduiliel, (anyone else)?

*Also loves Thorin as in channeling Bella Swan / Katniss Everdeen and up for a love triangle. Wink

THRANDUIL RULES!!! Heart Heart Heart

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 10:20pm

Post #65 of 402 (29616 views)
Shortcut
     I'll don my flak jacket as well... ;-) [In reply to]  

I want a LOT of Thranduil in TABA and wanted more of him in DoS. From the moment I first saw him I didn't want him to leave the screen. LOL

IMO, we got wwwaaaayyyyyy too much T & L (my apologies to those who enjoyed those two and their story arcs). Now, I would have welcomed more Thranduil / Legolas interaction as they so need to explore the father / son dynamic. Sans Tauriel... I don't want Thranduil to waste any more dialogue on trivial and unrelated matters like how Legolas thought she fought well / is fond of her / how he won't sanction the match. I want to hear more about their views, their agreements and disagreements, the sitch in Mirkwood, etc.

I agree--those other two elves pale in comparison. With any luck, Thranduil will be the center-stage-elf in TABA (as he should be)!!!

In Reply To
Because I think there's a lot of T & L fans on this thread. Personally I'm a [friendly] lurker in that until Thranduil appeared my attitude toward elves was "eh". And as a Thorin Thrall if someone's going to dis the Mountain King they had better be something special, which I found Thranduil to be. Not that I wouldn't have laughed if Thorin head-butt Thranduil, but seriously Thranduil to me is the epitome of every elven king leader-of-the-wild-hunt folklore story I have ever read. The Fisher King indeed.

So while I don't have raging objections to Legolas and Tauriel (at the moment) there IS only a limited amount of screen time. So, I'll say it - to me these two pale in comparison. For me anyway.
Think Legolas in particular is suffering in comparison to his daddy. And while my attitude is there can NEVER be too much Thorin and dwarves, assuming there's going to be elves, I want lots and lots of Thranduil, and save T & L stuff for the EE version.

But I figure elf lovers by default have more right to say than anyone. On the other hand, for me, I'd rather see the Mirkwood elves than spend a lot of time at Dol Guldur.

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 27 2014, 10:26pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 10:33pm

Post #66 of 402 (29628 views)
Shortcut
     Oooh! Those are lovely [In reply to]  

Those are some of the better Thranduil + Legolas pictures I've seen. I think their beautiful too and that means a lot coming from me because I don't usually like "anime" style artwork.

It's nice that someone's finally portrayed Thranduil as a kind, loving father. A lot of the artwork I've seen of Leggy and Thrandy seems to suggest that the artist assumes Thranduil would be a bad father who's arrogance and harshness with outsiders also translates to his parenting skills (ergo, they think he'd be kind of mean and condescending to Legolas too). I really don't like those and I don't think, (given some things Lee Pace has said about Thrandy's views on the sanctity of elven life and how they would therefore raise their children) that that would be the case at all.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 10:41pm

Post #67 of 402 (29594 views)
Shortcut
     1:23 is definitely my fave! <3 // [In reply to]  

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 10:44pm

Post #68 of 402 (29585 views)
Shortcut
     LOL! // [In reply to]  

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 27 2014, 10:46pm

Post #69 of 402 (29562 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks.... [In reply to]  

...for the welcome, elf-lady!Smile

LP's voice is the vocal equivalent of chocolate. I think my favourite word uttered by Thranduil is 'prosaic' - never has that word had such an effect on me! BlushCool

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 10:52pm

Post #70 of 402 (29570 views)
Shortcut
     Those are fantastic! [In reply to]  

You do some great work in Photoshop! Love, love, love the blue eyes..... THANK YOU!!!

I think we're all looking forward to the same scenes in TABA and on the EE. I hope they don't make us wait a year for the EE (again). So disappointing......

So.. let's come to things I'm really looking forward

for the EE
- I want to see the interaction between Legolas and Thranduil, the scene from the B-rolls, where both are standing & it looks like if they have an argument. I think *possible spoilers* that Legolas did not rush immediately after Tauriel out of the palace but went to his dad to report that Tauriel went missing and tries to convince him, that he can join her (or he + other elves should join and aid).

Reasons why I think so:
- Legolas wears different garments when he meets Tauriel at the river
- Legolas says "the king is angry" - how would he know if he would have rushed directly after her?

Ohh.. I would dye for that scene, really!

Also I have the impression that the Thorin/Thranduil scene is longer, it seems (for met) cut at the beginning.

And I want to see how his red coat lands on the throne. it must be in. it MUST !

For TABA

Err.. I think that was kind of long.. and to end it: some pics for you

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 27 2014, 10:52pm)

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 27 2014, 10:53pm

Post #71 of 402 (29568 views)
Shortcut
     More Thrandy please [In reply to]  

I'm hoping that the DOS EE will focus more on the Thranduil missing scenes (and Beorn) as the second half of the film needs no expansion IMO.

There should at least be Thranduil's introduction to all the dwarves, and a confrontation with Legolas after Tauriel leaves. Any more will be very welcome.

T & L certainly need no expansion either, for me. I think they have more than enough screen-time. I'm happy with what they have, but wouldn't welcome any more unless it involves Thranduil.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:05pm

Post #72 of 402 (29559 views)
Shortcut
     thx [In reply to]  

..but the gif is not mine :) it's the photo i posted on page 2

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:09pm

Post #73 of 402 (29537 views)
Shortcut
     Prosaic [In reply to]  

I know! It's the way he just enunciates everything and *swoon*...pardon me. I've got a bit of a voice fetish so Thranduil just torques my wing-nuts. Blush

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:16pm

Post #74 of 402 (29545 views)
Shortcut
     Could not agree more. [In reply to]  

I definitely want more Thranduil and less Tauriel and Legolas. As a Legolas fan I never thought I'd say that but I don't want to just watch meaningless gags with him surfing on the enemy or some such. I wouldn't mind Legolas aborting his chase after Bolg because he realizes Laketown needs protection and aid from the orcs (not to mention a dragon bearing down on them) and riding hard for Mirkwood to tell his father the men of the lake need help. I seem to recall something from the B roll where Legolas (we see his back) is striding towards Thranduil (who is wearing his robes and has a staff).

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 11:38pm

Post #75 of 402 (29551 views)
Shortcut
     *snerk* [In reply to]  

I like that! I like it a lot!LaughHeart

In Reply To
Twirl that cape, you sassy thing, you!

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.