Screencap of the Day: "I can't go back"

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 27 2014, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 5 (335 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: "I can't go back" Can't Post

Frodo: What is this place?
Gollum: Master must go inside the tunnel.
Frodo: Now that I'm here, I don't think I want to.
Gollum: It's the only way! Go in . . . or go back.
Frodo: I can't go back.

After tricking Frodo into sending Sam away, Gollum leads Frodo to Shelob's cave. Earlier, when Frodo sends Sam away, he specifically says, "Go home." Now, Gollum tells Frodo that unless he takes this path, there is no way to go but back. When Frodo says he can't go "back", what do you think he means? Does he mean he is already too damaged by the Ring that he can't go home, the way he sent Sam home? Or does he mean he can't give up and turn back, the way Sam explained earlier:

"But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something."

Or is there a point in every hero's journey, where they realize they've reached a point of no return?

I always felt that the very simple, "I can't go back" had many layers of meaning, in this situation. What do you think Frodo means?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screencap of the Day is a place to post any thoughts or comments you have on a particular screencap. The above are just my thoughts on this one -- as always, anyone is welcome to share other observations and comments Smile!

willowing
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 8:44am

Post #2 of 5 (167 views)
Shortcut
As you say Frodo's words "I can't go back" had many layers of meaning. [In reply to] Can't Post

Three reasons may be because;

(1) He gave his word at Rivendell before the fellowship came together, that he would be the one to take the ring to Mordor when no one else offered to do it.

(2) Having to face Sam, after telling him to go home and Merry and Pippin, Bilbo. Elrond, Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli.

(3) His beloved Shire was facing the same peril happening elsewhere in Middle Earth.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 1:57pm

Post #3 of 5 (140 views)
Shortcut
Another layer... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Frodo probably only has an inkling of here, and only comes to understand once he's back in the Shire: he can never "go back" to the life he used to have; there's too much pain and damage, and wounds that can never heal. Unsure

"...at no point have I yet found artistic truth and theological truth at variance." --Dorothy Sayers

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2014, 5:09pm

Post #4 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
I thought about that too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2014, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 5 (170 views)
Shortcut
What struck me about this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

is that Gollum says Frodo 'must go in' the tunnel - not through it to the other side. Gollum has revealed he never intended Frodo to come out again.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.