The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 1:20am

Post #26 of 402 (27985 views)
Shortcut
     Pretty sure it was inspired by a scene between M and Silva in Skyfall. [In reply to]  

Either way, glad you liked it.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jan 27 2014, 1:27am

Post #27 of 402 (27889 views)
Shortcut
     That is one amazing looking elf right there :3 // [In reply to]  

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jan 27 2014, 1:37am

Post #28 of 402 (27822 views)
Shortcut
     Actually, I should be in that list [In reply to]  

I've denied it for too long. Googling pictures of him and everything, though totally in denial... but not anymore. CaN'T... StOP... IT.... *sigh* Thranduil is too much for me. I blaim Lee Pace for bringing him to life too perfectly.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 1:43am

Post #29 of 402 (27823 views)
Shortcut
     The thralls... [In reply to]  

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, CathrineB, Bernhardina, (anyone else)?

*Also loves Thorin as in channeling Bella Swan / Katniss Everdeen and up for a love triangle. Wink

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 1:52am

Post #30 of 402 (27824 views)
Shortcut
     Those eyes [In reply to]  

That's really what it comes down to, his eyes! They are just amazing. When he talks about the gems and they take on that sparkle/gleam --love that part!

I'm really coming to appreciate Lee Pace more and more. Among my initial thoughts after seeing the film for the first time was that he was the perfect Thranduil! I've actually been looking into some of his other work since seeing him in DOS.

keep smiling Smile

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 1:53am

Post #31 of 402 (27833 views)
Shortcut
     Good night my fellow thralls... [In reply to]  

A final Thranduil pic to drool over... Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 3:13am

Post #32 of 402 (27765 views)
Shortcut
     No. [In reply to]  

Evil the influence of the Peckish Owl has spread across the world.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 8:12am

Post #33 of 402 (27747 views)
Shortcut
     Yeaaaahh... [In reply to]  

just.. need.. a bookmark right here xD .. NOW :D I'll share/post some stuff later on.. in the meanwhile I drool at work.

Tthanks Rowan for this VIP-Thread HeartHeart

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Barbarb
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 8:40am

Post #34 of 402 (27782 views)
Shortcut
     Oh my lord finally [In reply to]  

After the Thorin thread from a few days ago, I've been thinking where is the Thranduil thread?! I'm so glad it's here.

I'm pretty sure I was leaning way forward on my seat the first time he appeared. I like how our first glimpse of him (in DOS) comes in the form of these little snap-shots of his character; the bejeweled fingers, the crown and then the eyes.

My favourite scene is the Thorin confrontation. Thrandy has so much gravity here, and I was thoroughly impressed with how he uses the space. He's almost bird-like in the way he kind of flits around and tilts his head.

Ok I really can't praise Lee Pace enough. He just looked stunning and gave a magnificent performance.

When the movie finished I told my friend he HAS to watch The Fall...beautiful abstract movie starring Mr Pace.

Nice pictures everybody!!!

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 27 2014, 9:48am

Post #35 of 402 (27732 views)
Shortcut
     Definitive Elf... [In reply to]  

While Thorin is "my man" (dwarf... whatever) and has been for years (well, RA has at any rate), Thranduil IS pretty impressive. He is what I always imagine male elves to be like when I am reading the books. Lee Pace is plays him very majestically, in his own way and is completely convincing imo The Elves are a little too androgynous for my taste- think it must be an age thing... I would definitely have been a Thranduilite in my 20's and early 30'sSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 10:55am

Post #36 of 402 (27692 views)
Shortcut
     I figured we needed.... [In reply to]  

...our very own thread. (Or rather Thranduil deserved one of his very own!) Heart

In Reply To
just.. need.. a bookmark right here xD .. NOW :D I'll share/post some stuff later on.. in the meanwhile I drool at work.

Tthanks Rowan for this VIP-Thread HeartHeart

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 11:05am

Post #37 of 402 (27736 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil appreciation thread at last! [In reply to]  

Most of the words have been already used to describe the king of the woodland realm...majestic, mesmerising, mystical etc. I've never known any character to have this effect on me before...those eyes, that presence the way he talks and the way he walks, I haven't been a teenager for many a long year but I am in awe of him everytime he's on screen. I can't wait to see TABA because I love the hobbit films but would be a liar if I didn't have an alterior motive for watching it. Well done Lee Pace and Peter Jackson for nailing it..couldn't get a better Elf King. I want to see him and what he can do in battle we've seen what his son can do, so what can we expect from the king (he took off the orc prisoners head in a blink of an eye with his sword) I think he will be awesome! I like his son Legolas, I love watching him in action even though he can be a little OTT at times but he must have taken after his mothers side cos although he is cool he is certainly no 'chip of the old block'.

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 11:08am

Post #38 of 402 (27674 views)
Shortcut
     I agree, thank you Rowan I will be checking this thread often [In reply to]  

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 11:10am

Post #39 of 402 (27914 views)
Shortcut
     Lee Pace... [In reply to]  

...said in multiple interviews that Thranduil is "a game changer" in battle. So....can't.....wait!
http://fc03.deviantart.net/...bootslvr-d6bp619.gif

This is the one thread where we can let our inner fan girls out! LOL

I *hope* we get to see the scenes from the book, namely where he tries to convince Bilbo to stay with them for his own safety (after Bilbo presents the arkenstone to Bard/Thranduil), and later accepts the necklace from Bilbo as payment for his (unknown) hospitality, etc. I also hope we see him send aid to Lake-town following Smaug's attack so people will stop labeling him a jerk! Tongue

In Reply To
Most of the words have been already used to describe the king of the woodland realm...majestic, mesmerising, mystical etc. I've never known any character to have this effect on me before...those eyes, that presence the way he talks and the way he walks, I haven't been a teenager for many a long year but I am in awe of him everytime he's on screen. I can't wait to see TABA because I love the hobbit films but would be a liar if I didn't have an alterior motive for watching it. Well done Lee Pace and Peter Jackson for nailing it..couldn't get a better Elf King. I want to see him and what he can do in battle we've seen what his son can do, so what can we expect from the king (he took off the orc prisoners head in a blink of an eye with his sword) I think he will be awesome! I like his son Legolas, I love watching him in action even though he can be a little OTT at times but he must have taken after his mothers side cos although he is cool he is certainly no 'chip of the old block'.

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 27 2014, 11:15am)

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:14am

Post #40 of 402 (27745 views)
Shortcut
     some pics [In reply to]  

Oh I simply love the intro .. here it comes xD

In Reply To
I like how our first glimpse of him (in DOS) comes in the form of these little snap-shots of his character; the bejeweled fingers, the crown and then the eyes.

..and some more :)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 11:15am

Post #41 of 402 (27696 views)
Shortcut
     THANKS FOR THAT!!!! [In reply to]  

Now I can leave for work happy, with thoughts of Thranduil in my head. Heart

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:17am

Post #42 of 402 (27665 views)
Shortcut
     .. [In reply to]  

Not too bad, eh? :D I'm actually wasting my lunch break for it right now.. instead of grabbing some food

I love kinko-whites drawings

Heart

In Reply To
Now I can leave for work happy, with thoughts of Thranduil in my head. Heart

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 27 2014, 11:19am)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 27 2014, 12:35pm

Post #43 of 402 (27667 views)
Shortcut
     That red coat [In reply to]  

I swear that red coat is my favorite costume in the whole movie which says a whole lot. Red looks like really good on him and I hope he wears it at a point in TABA.

I personally think the armor he wears (TABA) looks really weird though. I need to warm up to it. Hopefully it looks better on screen (which things usually do).
AND I also like when he's not wearing the crown actually though it's a pretty cool one.

Anyway what I think I love so much about Lee is his ability to do such subtle emotions. Like when he's denied the casket in AUJ EE. So little happens with him, but at the same time so much happens in his eyes.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Jan 27 2014, 12:37pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 1:49pm

Post #44 of 402 (27634 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, thanks, Rowan - made my day!! [In reply to]  

Here's my small contribution...note the different design for the woodland crown in the second picture!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 2:04pm

Post #45 of 402 (27622 views)
Shortcut
     If you like White's pictures, you may like... [In reply to]  

...the art by Kimberly80 on DeviantArt Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 2:10pm

Post #46 of 402 (27640 views)
Shortcut
     Late to the thread but... [In reply to]  

I'm here now! Tongue Thanks Rowan Greene for starting this thread! I can't wait to see TABA to see more of Thranduil and his game changing ways! I also want to see those moments with Bilbo and having Bilbo wanting to stay with Thranduil to protect him. Heart

It's funny because I've always been a Legolas fan since way back when (ages ago really) and can clearly remember gasping when I saw him in the FOTR trailer. He was everything I'd imagined an elf to be. I'll always love Legolas (even if I think he's a bit ridiculous in DoS) but I've definitely fallen hard for his father. Lee Pace did an absolutely smashing job in the role. When he is on screen I cannot take my eyes off him AT ALL. Actually I'm like that whenever I see Pace in anything (Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Possession, The Fall, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day). Maybe PJ knew the effect Thranduil would have on all of us and just gave us enough to whet our appetite. If so, we thralls are ready for the main course PJ! Bring it on!

Now, how many adjectives can I come up with to describe Thranduil? Wink

Beautiful
Elegant
Gorgeous
Grand
Handsome
Imposing
MAGNIFICENT
Majestic (yes this has been used to describe Thorin and I don't disagree but it also fits Thranduil!)
Mysterious
Perilous
Proud
Regal
Stunning

*You'll have to excuse me for I've fainted and this is my cat typing for me*Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 2:39pm

Post #47 of 402 (27642 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting observation about Thrandy being "bird-like" [In reply to]  

As though LP really uses his neck in his performance in the scene with Thorin. However, given the way he darts his head in and out, I would liken his movements more to being serpentine. Don't you think his movements resemble Smaug just a tad?

I cannot declare myself a thrall to Thranduil (Thorin, I'm still all yours Heart), BUT I like him very very much and am impatiently waiting to see more if him in TABA.

And I think the cutaway pan shots of him are the best visual introduction of a character since hooded Strider and his glowing pipe in FOTR.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 4:17pm

Post #48 of 402 (27564 views)
Shortcut
     list of adjectives [In reply to]  

magnetic
suave

and as I have already said
mindblowing
when he slowly turns around and tilts his head slightly backwards, permitting us to admire
1. the crown
2. the eyebrows
3. his penetrating gaze
HeartHeartHeart

hobbitylass
Bree

Jan 27 2014, 4:49pm

Post #49 of 402 (27571 views)
Shortcut
     me too! [In reply to]  

I'm not able to post much here these days, but I continue to be an ardent appreciator of all things Thranduil.

Can't wait for all the Thranduily goodness I'm expecting to be in the DOS EE.

Twirl that cape, you sassy thing, you!

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 27 2014, 5:20pm

Post #50 of 402 (27567 views)
Shortcut
     Newbie here - couldn't resist this thread! [In reply to]  

What a wonderful thread - I thought I'd seen most Thranduil pics, but thanks to you good folks on here, it's wonderful to see more which are new to me!

Like you elf-lady, I was an ardent Legolas fan from the LOTR trilogy, but Thranduil has certainly elbowed his son out of my affections! I thought I would be delighted at seeing more Legolas in DOS, but I found myself longing for more Thranduil scenes and wishing Legolas had had a cameo role similar to that of Frodo - i.e. a decent nod, but not too overbearing. LP's Thranduil seems to be growing in popularity and I hope PJ takes this on board when compiling the EE, and considering Thranduil's exposure in TABA.

Having seen the pic of Bard with Legolas, I do have a niggle that Legolas will do the leg-work (pardon the pun!) with the Elves involvement in Laketown, and basically take scenes that would originally have been Thranduil's, as PJ/the studio seem to think Legolas is the be-all-and-end-all for all film fans.

I really want to see Thranduil shine on the battlefield. According to LP, he's supposed to be the best swordsman in Middle Earth - I certainly want to see him showcase that, rather than be reduced to a hanger on of Legolas. It should be the other way round.

Thranduil first turned my head when the trailers came out, and his deliciously rich, smooth, velvety voice came out on the voice-over. I was hooked with the voice before I saw the face. The whole package is amazing. LP's height adds the final touches as he towers over everyone else.

I've taken an interest in LP's work since June of last year, and have enjoyed The Fall and Pushing Daisies in particular. I have to say his English accent has greatly improved since he filmed Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day, where it sometimes veered between Northern English with a hint of Scottish! As an English person, I find his accent in DOS more than passes muster! I noticed in in the B-Roll online video that he was still pronouncing 'endure' with an American accent, but had swapped the pronunciation for a perfect English one for the final take.Cool

Happy to be among fellow Thranduil appreciators!

HeartHeartHeartHeart

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.