Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right, ladies.
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Jan 27 2014, 3:24am

Post #226 of 251 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Young Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is a still of young Thorin. His beard is longer and braided, his face is thinner and there are no highlights in his hair.

I am also in denial mode re certain events in TABA. Peter Jackson was a total (but still lovable) grinch when he moved the premiere of TABA to December. I will prep the dvd-player with a Wholly Happy Ending - the Vicar of Dibley Christmas Special with Richard Armitage and Dawn French and watch that for comfort as soon as I return home from TABA.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 3:30am

Post #227 of 251 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Another attempt at a Sir Guy pic [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we go.....

mmmuhahahahha.....GOT IT!! Thanks Kim!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 27 2014, 3:31am)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 27 2014, 3:38am

Post #228 of 251 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

You got it--there's no stopping you now! I almost posted that one yesterday, but decided to go for the more "smirky" one. Wink

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 3:56am

Post #229 of 251 (1093 views)
Shortcut
And Guy from Season 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

After visiting Milan to get new clothes on the way home from the Holy Land at the end of season 2 (according to RA) Laugh :

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kim
Valinor

Jan 27 2014, 3:59am

Post #230 of 251 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Fine Italian Leather [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah yes, that make sense! Cool

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 4:22am

Post #231 of 251 (1114 views)
Shortcut
:( [In reply to] Can't Post

It upsets me how weak he is in that show. Robin out.... Everything's him. I mean, RA is right in that he has a face for villieny, but I want to see him play the hero one day.

One day, Richard, one day....

"Yar a wizard Peeta!" - Gandalf

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 4:32am

Post #232 of 251 (1081 views)
Shortcut
I haven't gotten there yet, but I like the change of clothes! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the longer hairstyle! He looks great! Thanks for the pic. I have this to look forward to!Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 4:34am

Post #233 of 251 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

He deserves to play the hero! But not the stereotypical hero. I think he excels at the conflicted hero...like Thorin.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:28am

Post #234 of 251 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Now There's An Elven King I Could Call Badass!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Eruvandi and Elanor of Rohan,
Thanks for the great picture of Thranduil turned Elven King Warlord in the heat of battle. I am 110 pct relieved and what a difference cool black armor, war headband, and a scarred face make. Hope he got it ventilating a nasty dozen or so orcs--hey Legolas let dad show you how it's done, son. Will say, judging from the way he executed the orc prisoner, he'll be a pretty deadly elf Errol Flynn with a blade, quick on the draw. So the pointed crown and cape are fine for palace wear, formal occasions. Still think the outfit's very 70s, Rick Wakeman-Yes, maybe Thranduil can play, "Roundabout."

Thanks, regards, 13th Warrior.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 11:41am

Post #235 of 251 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Balin is a dwarf for all seasons [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello MistyMt. Balin is a great choice! He has wisdom, bravery, compassion, dry wit, can challenge even the great Thorin on matters of treatment of others (Thorin's roughing up Bilbo and other dwarves on occasion--reminds all parties that they are comrades, in this together) Has a knack for telling the anecdote, bit of history that puts it all in context. Really resonates since we saw his final fate in Moria, LOTR-Fellowship. You can see the good dwarf Bilbo became friends with.

Regards,thanks,13th Warrior

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 7:43pm

Post #236 of 251 (1018 views)
Shortcut
The Howard Stern hair was not my favorite!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice duds though.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 27 2014, 7:45pm

Post #237 of 251 (1016 views)
Shortcut
yes, much better duds [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved his clothes in the last season on RH but his hair needed a serious trim! Or he could grow it really long as in a certain dwarf we all know and love Heart

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 27 2014, 8:14pm

Post #238 of 251 (1011 views)
Shortcut
OMG .. Sir Guy [In reply to] Can't Post

that has been ages ago.. OMG omg !! ..with THAT everything literally started xD

Just searched my hard-drive and found some very very old Robin Hood things from 2007 .. Gosh^^ .. and sometimes (not often though) I see Guy of Gisborn when Thorin speaks, there is this one scene where he says "really?" .. i can't help Angelic

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 27 2014, 9:31pm

Post #239 of 251 (997 views)
Shortcut
The hair is a little off close up [In reply to] Can't Post

RA had just come from filming Spooks/ MI5, for which he had short hair. They supplied him with a wig, which was q obviously a wig imo. And suddenly Guy's hair was changed from black and straight to brown and curly/wavy ( not obvious in this photo) Crazy

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 27 2014, 11:44pm

Post #240 of 251 (985 views)
Shortcut
Nice picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love the shot of Thorin looking off over the lake as their boat makes its way across. There are so many emotions flickering across his face. He's getting closer to his goal and closer to the most horrifying thing he's ever seen. And he definitely looks majestic, even when he gets there and loses the silly armor stuff and is just standing there in homespun.

]

He doesn't need a twiggy crown or flashy cloak to make him look kingly. And if those Thranduil babes or whatever it is can't see what is perfectly obvious ^^^ then they should get their own thread. Tongue Wink Laugh Cool

I have the same one in my Photobucket account (but the picture I saved is bigger). What do you think Thorin is thinking in this scene? Is it greed? Or anticipation? On thorinoakenshield.net, somebody said in an article that this might be part of the dragon sickness, but I think that's totally off base. The only time we see that Thorin is starting to be affected by it is that scene in Erebor where he blocks Bilbo. I love it when Thorin smiles (but it might be more of a smirk in this picture), since it almost melts my heart. And it's so unexpected, that you can't help (or at least I can't ) smiling back.Smile

Even though I'm dreading a certain scene in the upcoming TABA, I'll still go see it in theaters (many times). If this is the last week for DoS in our newest theater (it has yet to move to our cheapest theater), I'll have to, since I finally got enough Scene points for a free movie. And since the new HFR 3D doesn't get released on DVD or Blu-ray, this is the only time I'll be able to see it in this format. Maybe I'll just go watch the Extended Edition of DoS (or perhaps rewatch North & South) once I get back from TABA. It will help get my mind off the dreadful moments.Frown

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 12:19am

Post #241 of 251 (992 views)
Shortcut
I like the longer hair [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it gives another dimension to the character; he's different that season. His costume is all buttoned up and looks richer but the man inside the leather is walking a very fine edge. I'm not surprised that it's a wig and an inferior one though. Marian's costumes were cheap, and I spotted cargo pants on a few of the merry men are one time or another.

But I do believe I could wax poetic on Guy's costume in that pic. Blush

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 1:55am

Post #242 of 251 (995 views)
Shortcut
Denial is good [In reply to] Can't Post

For now I'm not paying attention to certain things re TABA, because it just gets me mad. I think PJ should do 2 endings, because outside of a strange minority can't say anyone is going to ENJOY certain scenes, and there's the very real issue of trying to hold the audience attention when a lot of folks are feeling bummed out. A lot of people DON'T read and have no idea re this book.

Just sayin' I wouldn't want to be directing a movie where a good part of my favorite cast members just vanished from the film, and I've got another half hour to 45 minutes to fill.

But, anyway, the DOS isn't even in Japan and China yet, it's still in U.S. theaters, so I'm going to cross my fingers for more pickups AND hope RA's upcoming tornado movie is a good one. But I'm dying to see him do another historical piece - too much talent and face and voice IMO that DESERVES a big screen.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 2:13am

Post #243 of 251 (990 views)
Shortcut
Two endings would cheapen what that cast has done though [In reply to] Can't Post

They knew the ending and worked hard to give their characters that journey. It's going to be awful to watch but, I have to admit, a small part of me can't wait to see Richard and Martin and the rest of them put everything they have into those scenes. Thorin will be glorious in this last part of his character arc. It is a journey few actors can even hope to play and (thank goodness) SPJ found a man who can not only play the part down to those massive steel-toed boots but also is humble enough to know what he has been given and to appreciate not only the chance to play the part in the first place by appreciate the quality of what he has been written.

You can't take Thorin's ending away from him. It would diminish his journey.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 8:29pm

Post #244 of 251 (928 views)
Shortcut
Kili! [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 9:46pm

Post #245 of 251 (934 views)
Shortcut
Agree with everything you say except..... [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can't take Thorin's ending away from him. It would diminish his journey."

It IS canon. And changes to Tolkien are, and will continue to be, a sensitive topic. But with time and some classes and seeing some real life - for me - even with literature/movies I've gotten a lot less patient about "today is a good day to die" - especially with a book I had had issues with (and still do, for all the things I love adore about it) and when I can see ways to rewrite a somewhat grey ending that would fit easily into the LOTR movies. So I'd disagree about the cheapening the ending, from the aspect that the company I don't think envisioned an ultimate sacrifice at the end of things (at Bag End in the films). Tho Thorin seemingly has always been willing to sacrifice himself (and he wouldn't BE the movie Thorin I care so much about, if not for that fire, which is the only thought that makes me feel any better - e.g., would I want him to be anyone else? Or the book Thorin, who was also my favorite.)

From Tolkien's viewpoint, sure, if this was supposed to be a moralistic tale about greed - but then again, if Tolkien were alive there are many questions I would have asked him as even way back I did not find the final events satisfying, but the whole scenario troubling. One reason unlike many I am very happy with the treatment that PJ is doing, so far.

True enough tho, I believe the acting will be beyond stellar, and for me based on the touch of madness in DOS for me there's a horrible fascination thinking about RA's performance - and MF as well. IMO even more difficult in that I think the actors are going to have to dial down enough to keep a PG-13 rating, possibly, which to me would be maddening.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 11:05pm

Post #246 of 251 (905 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is definitely a matter of opnion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Thorin's death brings the whole journey full circle. He comes back to his homeland but gives everything he has to get there. The Dwarves are back in Erebor. That really was his ultimate goal, I think, in the books as well as the movie. Peter has taken that journey and made many of us care more for Thorin than I think because in the book he was rather cantankerous and almost one dimensional. By using the appendices from LOTR, they used the back story to give us more of a reason to care. I love both stories but I like Thorin's arc more in the movie because well... there's actually an arc. It is not merely a tale of greed and that means he is barred from ruling Erebor as some kind of moral punishment. His greed and then realization too late means that others rule in his place and those left behind are meant to pick up the pieces and move on. I think part of Bilbo's journey continues with a piece of Thorin always with him. His last trip to Rivendell included a trip to the Lonely Mountain. Why? I think it's because he wanted to visit his old friend one more time.

I love movies that make me feel - happy, sad, good, bad... doesn't matter. One of my favorite of RA"s roles is actually Lucas North. That was an amazing journey he took me on. I guess I'm willing to accept the unhappy ending more readily than many. I've lived long enough to know that a true happy ending is rare in life. Most of the time, it is a mixture of happy and sad or just sad. To take the wonderful arc Tolkien created and Jackson embellished with Tolkien touches and make it into a fairy tale ending just so fans don't feel bad would be a sad thing indeed to me.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 12:04am

Post #247 of 251 (903 views)
Shortcut
Bittersweet agreement. *Sigh*. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I love movies that make me feel - happy, sad, good, bad... doesn't matter. One of my favorite of RA"s roles is actually Lucas North. That was an amazing journey he took me on. I guess I'm willing to accept the unhappy ending more readily than many. I've lived long enough to know that a true happy ending is rare in life. Most of the time, it is a mixture of happy and sad or just sad. To take the wonderful arc Tolkien created and Jackson embellished with Tolkien touches and make it into a fairy tale ending just so fans don't feel bad would be a sad thing indeed to me.
Haven't seen Lucas North, but I can only imagine. Unsure

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 29 2014, 12:46am

Post #248 of 251 (898 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

"I think Thorin's death brings the whole journey full circle. He comes back to his homeland but gives everything he has to get there. The Dwarves are back in Erebor. That really was his ultimate goal, I think, in the books as well as the movie."

Quite like Frodo, in fact. One of the things that drives me most crazy in the movie is that Thorin has suffered and carried so much already, so I think he deserves better. They all do - if not some Disney ending, but IMO Thorin most of all something better (tho it brings to mind a class I had examining the nature of a classic Greek tragedy - basically the daughter of a Greek king, lovely and with all of life ahead of her, honorably chooses to go into the cave where her father is condemned to be walled up and starved to death, because he's her father. She'll die with him. So if you freely choose, as Thorin does to risk it all, is it truly a tragedy? I don't remember there being an agreement. And boy, would I love to know RA well enough to kick back with him and hear his thoughts on this).

Too true tho. Life is not fair. And while of course PJ & co. had the script and vision to flesh things out - and the first PR image of Thorin for me was like a brick to the head - I think there can't be enough shout outs to RA for his remarkable performance that has people caring so much, wanting to see and dreading at the same time. As opposed to well-I-know-what's-going-to-happen so let's hope for some really great battles.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 7:50pm

Post #249 of 251 (863 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was a scholar [In reply to] Can't Post

He followed the tradition of Norse epic, and of the poems Kalevala (the Finnish one, his inspiration for the creation of Quenya) and of course Beowulf - he was one of the best scholars of his time. Are there any happy endings for anyone there? Nope.
Beowulf's ending is hard to bear and in the Edda there's a section called Ragnarok, which is often described as the holocaust of all the Norse Gods.
Of course, bearing these models in mind and truly wanting to follow in their footsteps in order to create a kind of "English mythology" he had to create bittersweet endings for all his stories: if the fate of Durin's heirs is cruel enough, at least they die fighting and this is, for a warrior dwarf at least, one of the best ways to end up his life. In my opinion, Frodo 's fate and his inevitable voyage to the Undying lands is even more unfair because he sees all his companions enjoying the fruits of their toils and he can't.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 12:48am

Post #250 of 251 (871 views)
Shortcut
And one reason I love the AUJ appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

This.
and

From Martin Freeman chapter. Possible caption: The [majestic] King Under the Mountain (looking total badass w. freshly washed fluffy hair) looks on impassively while his hobbit waves to the cameras.
Couldn't show the infamous Martin Freeman camera wave, tho.Evil

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.