Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right, ladies.
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2014, 5:48pm

Post #201 of 251 (1047 views)
Shortcut
He's not only sexy, he's a fully developed character (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

The only one in the series, imo.

If it weren't for RA, I don't think we would have gotten that. There is an interview with one of the writers that talks about him coming to them with notes every day, asking about his character. In season three, we get to see the deconstruction of Sir Guy as he deals with his murder of Mariam (no, I didn't miss her she was a twit) and his failure to kill King RIchard. He unravels before our eyes and it's a very interesting journey, much more interesting than that guy they named the show after. Here is a gif that shows one part of a scene where he thinks he may have killed Robin but he needs a body. It's all in the eyes again.

Thank goodness he made that effort otherwise I think we would have been stuck with a one-dimensional black leather clad baddie. I can watch that an appreciate it for what it is (really!) but that's not going to keep me watching the show.

I think we're going to see more of this kind of acting in TABA. I'm already buying stock in Kimberly-Clark. They make Kleenex.

Thus ends the dissertation of Sir Guy. Please resume whatever it was that you were doing.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 26 2014, 6:06pm

Post #202 of 251 (1020 views)
Shortcut
the benefit of cheese.... [In reply to] Can't Post

*grins* I had come across an old article where RA was commenting on Robin Hood, and did remark that he was getting some strange items and letters from the fan base, including evidently some very odd letters about him and leather, and he commented "these people are weird". ROFLOL because my urban area has a couple of shops that cater to all tastes, and more than once - tho it's not cool, I've just stopped to gape at the displays of fine black leather goods with straps and metal studs. Mind you, some of these remind me of something I would use to hitch a horse to a cart - amazes me what imagination my fellow humans have. As RA seems like a very nice man, I hope his agency is filtering his stranger mail now.

Yes, I tripped over a Robin Hood episode this weekend - I think this is SERIOUS cheese - but I just want to keep watching! And not only is RA perfect, I think a lot of the actors are pretty good.
(I've actually fantasized that Robin Hood would get remade - again - w. RA as Robin Hood, because I really liked the Russell Crowe version of it, but that was just a prequel type story. All of the famous legend scenes like the archery contest didn't get covered. RA would be perfect IMO for so many roles - for one thing, I can see him joining the POTC cast (which is always stellar) but Disney is messing around w. those movies.

Do you think the file you are trying to upload is just too big? A few months ago I couldn't get an image to upload and just quit in frustration, but then there was this thread and I got re-inspired.
I'm used to working with big graphics and just couldn't cope w. having to make them small - BUT have since found out the online image resizers work pretty well (and of course TORn needs to keep a size limit on inline images). You get a lot of pop-up stuff, but http://www.resizeimage.4u2ges.com/default.asp?b=nc worked really well for me (from the TORn guide). And there are other online resizers - very handy.

http://www.resizeimage.4u2ges.com/default.asp?b=nc

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 26 2014, 6:41pm

Post #203 of 251 (1022 views)
Shortcut
OK, that's it, I hafta get all of this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"There is an interview with one of the writers that talks about him coming to them with notes every day, asking about his character. In season three, we get to see the deconstruction of Sir Guy as he deals with his murder of Mariam (no, I didn't miss her she was a twit) and his failure to kill King RIchard. He unravels before our eyes and it's a very interesting journey, much more interesting than that guy they named the show after."

The thing that kills me about the few episodes I've been able to watch is that there are good bones here - intriguing dynamics, good acting, a personable cast (tho I don't buy the actor playing Robin Hood so much). With more care, this show could have been incredible. And I just want to keep watching, even while rolling my eyes in frustration - not when RA turns up, tho.

Often wonder (after re-watching AUJ and replaying the Bag End speech - and the hug of course, love that scene) if PJ & co. truly understood the kind of quality they got when they hired RA. Boyens has said PJ saw "hidden depths", but RA has said that PJ really didn't know that much about his work (which I like, because to me it means PJ was casting on ability, not name or popularity, most of the time.) Guess they saw what they had on hand fast enough when rehearsals and shooting began. I wonder about this because my own expectations for Thorin were so off - seriously, while I loved the look in the PR pictures (jawdropping) it was the Bag End entry (and a bit of the blacksmithing) that froze me in place just staring and listening. And if I had thought about it at all, I would have pictured just another one-note tough cranky warrior type, something like Theoden maybe. I was so wrong, obviously - and there went my heart and loyalties re characters in this movie. LOL, Grasper and Keeper, the Bag End Speech grasped my heart, and the talk with Balin dropped me - I would have crawled to Erebor for Thorin.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 26 2014, 7:01pm

Post #204 of 251 (1010 views)
Shortcut
spice [In reply to] Can't Post

"not so goody-goody that they're pathetic."

I'd better get ready to duck here - but - tho Aragorn was written in a certain way and VM did a wonderful job, he's so GOOD I find myself wanting to kick him in the shins, just to get him to swear. Or something. EVERYONE strikes me as so GOOD in LOTR, for the most part, that I keep thinking off and on, "nobody acts like that".
I wouldn't say pathetic - just - I'd feel like I was at some endless dinner with these people (humans/elf/wizard/hobbit) where I had to be perfectly dressed, a perfect lady, and behave perfectly (where, after a few hours, my panty hose would be uncomfortable, my heels would be giving me blisters, I'd be tired of having to repair my face, and I'd be sneaking out back to share a cigarette and jokes with the catering staff.)

I don't think of Bard as too goodie - he's kind of fun, and I love his early somewhat snarky attitude with the dwarves. And yet, there's this kindness. But I love my dwarves - there's not one of them IMO it wouldn't be interesting and fun to hang out with - plus, they could show you handy weapon tips. (And by the end, even tho he helped Kili, I wonder if I will end up hating Bard....he DID disrespect Thorin.....)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 26 2014, 7:32pm

Post #205 of 251 (1043 views)
Shortcut
OK, perhaps not his finest moment [In reply to] Can't Post

but he looks kinda cute right before he starts foaming at the mouth. Wink

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 26 2014, 8:42pm

Post #206 of 251 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Who is this Thorin guy they speak of? [In reply to] Can't Post

King under the mountain? Huh?

King Thranduil is forever... Heart Heart Heart

(Thranduil upon hearing word of our arrival.)

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 26 2014, 8:42pm)
Attachments: 1012037_787711117912814_212688071_n.jpg (9.11 KB)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2014, 9:12pm

Post #207 of 251 (998 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, another one [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the shot of Thorin looking off over the lake as their boat makes its way across. There are so many emotions flickering across his face. He's getting closer to his goal and closer to the most horrifying thing he's ever seen. And he definitely looks majestic, even when he gets there and loses the silly armor stuff and is just standing there in homespun.

He doesn't need a twiggy crown or flashy cloak to make him look kingly. And if those Thranduil babes or whatever it is can't see what is perfectly obvious ^^^ then they should get their own thread. Tongue Wink Laugh Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 26 2014, 9:25pm

Post #208 of 251 (972 views)
Shortcut
(*jumping up an down*) [In reply to] Can't Post

Count me in for Thorin!!! Heart

I may not post as much as others but my allegiance is no less passionate!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 26 2014, 9:48pm

Post #209 of 251 (959 views)
Shortcut
Updated... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, dormouse, Glorfindela, Elanor of Rohan, The Grey Elf, (anyone else)?

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, (anyone else)?

Bard's Beaus: Starling (Lone member & Prez of the BB club!)

Fili Fanciers: Ismene

Kili's Kitties: Ismene

*Conflicted, channeling Bella Swan and Katniss Everdeen, up for a love triangle Wink

THRANDUIL RULES! Heart Heart Heart

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 26 2014, 9:49pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 26 2014, 9:55pm

Post #210 of 251 (972 views)
Shortcut
Epic, majestic even in a "bathrobe" [In reply to] Can't Post

Love this shot of Thorin holding the key. But for me, let's face it, pretty much every frame with Thorin in it is worth freezing and studying. When I get the DVD/BR I'd better block out 8 hours of time or so, warn everyone that I'm "sick", shut off the phones, and settle down to lose myself in the wonder of it all. Bwahhh, the remote will be mine, all mine....better get some spare batteries for it.Evil

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 26 2014, 10:05pm

Post #211 of 251 (936 views)
Shortcut
add me to Kili's Kitties! [In reply to] Can't Post

because my husband looks strikingly similar to Kili Angelic Blush, and it amuses me to no end...

Plus, I have a LOT of things genuinely in common with Kili- both play the violin (I have for 17 years), both are archers (I had a bow before I even knew TH was going to be made), both have a sword as well as a secondary weapon (though mine is polyproylene, as I cannot afford a steel one yet and won't have one with small children in the house), both can sing, both have a mischievous streak, both are loyal to their friends, both are open minded, both love adventure, both strive to prove themselves to those in authority, both seek self validation in approval from those in authority, both can be reckless and act-first-think-second at times, neither are obsessed over gold/jewels even if we can appreciate them, both have good aim, both possess physical characteristics that aren't considered very attractive by one's respective race, both just want to help, both are friendly, both fight for those who cannot fight for themselves....

And ironically enough, based on an excellent age comparison chart, Kili is the same age (29) as my husband (I am 27).

Need I go on? Wink

Besides, Ismene can't have all the fun Tongue

Thorin's too old, too broody, too grumpy and narrow-minded for me (sorry, ladies! He isn't horrible looking, but I look at personality first, looks second), and Thranduil's too tall (Kili and I are the same height- five foot- I can barely reach to kiss my 6 foot husband, and based on where the dwarves hit Thranduil, he must he 7 feet tall! Yipes! I would need to get a box (or maybe a ladder)...plus he's too pouty and sourpuss for me, and he's a bit arrogant and also very controlling.

Bard is a decent fellow, but he's just a bit too old for me (I am 27, and Sigrid is what? 14? Plus she's probably taller than I, which would be awkward- but my girls are threatening to be taller than I as well, so I'd better get used to it- anyway, he's probably at least in his mid-to-late 30's so too old) plus he can be a bit of a pessimist (and rightly so, but still).

So Kili's Kitties for me Blush

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jan 26 2014, 10:08pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 26 2014, 10:19pm

Post #212 of 251 (938 views)
Shortcut
it's difficult.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought we were talking about serious matters, like the waiting for the final chapter and so on, but we can't help going back to our favourite leading guys (elves, men, dwarves).
I keep changing my mindAngelic
since there are 2 new categories and since Kili has been enthralled by Tauriel,Wink
I'll change side and become a Fili's fancier, but with an asterisk*, that is any Durin will do , please Rowan Greene be patient with me Smile

Kim
Valinor

Jan 26 2014, 11:42pm

Post #213 of 251 (926 views)
Shortcut
They did! [In reply to] Can't Post

So now we can get this thread back on track - all Thorin, all the time! Cool

I too love this pic, and the moment right before where we get that beautiful smile. Evil

Kim
Valinor

Jan 26 2014, 11:47pm

Post #214 of 251 (945 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The other part of that scene that gets me is how Thorin reacts to what he has just done. He starting to skid down a slippery slope of dragon-sickness, he's off-balance and he's just done something that he didn't think he would do to a comrade-in-arms. There is a moment when he almost second-guesses himself; it flickers across his face just for a moment. I *love* how RA played that. Again, everything in the eyes. He *doesn't move*! I actually interpreted this a little differently. I thought that the first flicker across his face was the moment when he realizes, "hey wait a minute, there's a dragon around here somewhere, maybe I'd better focus on that first!" Now I need to watch that scene again. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 1:34am

Post #215 of 251 (904 views)
Shortcut
Would love to see them Dernwyn - a welcome (yet heartrending) repeat [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, and that picture of Bilbo is such a great blending of Sir Ian and Martin...I can only imagine what they *all* look like! And given the endings...yes. Ham Sammy's tissue custom concession will be very busy.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 1:50am

Post #216 of 251 (887 views)
Shortcut
I think I will too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, for the sake of research. I wouldn't want to get something like that wrong. Yes, much more research. Theaters only have it once a day now so it will be difficult but I've driven farther for other things. Cool I think I can find a theater with a time I can make. Yes, indeed... more research!

And when is the DVD coming out again?

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 1:55am

Post #217 of 251 (934 views)
Shortcut
Is this from TABA? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw this on my tumblr feed and it looks like the fur is different from the other costumes Thorin has worn. I can't be sure though. (Research anyone?)

This is going to kill me. Seriously. Look at him. Nope... nope nope nope. Can't stand it. Jumping into the River of Denial now.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 1:57am

Post #218 of 251 (885 views)
Shortcut
True Elaen - and Tuxedo is quite close to NYC! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since RA now lives part of the time in NYC- you could start a petition for him to be invited to reprise his Sir Guy role at the Fayre!! I'm sure Brethil would sign- and a certain others in the vague North East US areaWink Heck- I might even come for a visit from England to see that!!Crazy

I brought my pencil. Gimme somethin' to write on. Wink

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 27 2014, 1:58am

Post #219 of 251 (881 views)
Shortcut
What a still. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ismene
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 2:06am

Post #220 of 251 (883 views)
Shortcut
Irk? that ol' river's so overflowing with the clan of NOPE. [In reply to] Can't Post

AU Fanfic take me away!

"I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me"

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 2:09am

Post #221 of 251 (891 views)
Shortcut
yea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed! Completely!
That is the one reason and the one reason only that I am willing to wait until next December for TaBA!

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

Ismene
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 2:10am

Post #222 of 251 (876 views)
Shortcut
More the merrier :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, Ismene can't have all the fun Tongue

I love all the different POVs Smile Where some see grumpy, broody - never mind. Some see not too much any of those, just needs an edge taken off or a bit of help w/the Quest.

Diversity - yay!

"I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me"

Kim
Valinor

Jan 27 2014, 2:50am

Post #223 of 251 (882 views)
Shortcut
No, sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

That's from the AUJ EE appendices, during the filming of the AUJ Prologue, when Smaug almost steps on Thorin right after he breaks in the door. In the Appendices, it's in the section on Richard's acting style, how he has to focus on being in character between takes. This is actually part of a wider shot where he's crouched on the floor, focused, while a crew member is sweeping the floor nearby and you see Richard shift away slightly from the crew member, trying to maintain his focus.

However, I'm right there with you in the River of Denial. I plan to focus on DOS and the DOS EE for most of the year before I can even start thinking about TABA. Unsure

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 3:00am

Post #224 of 251 (849 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the input Avandel re: size [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I think the first time I tried the file was just a tad larger than the maximum. And also, I found that resizer you mention. It works great, I gotta say! But alas, I still had the problem. I've just received some suggestions from another poster so I'll give it another try.

BTW I actually think RA would be terrific as Robin Hood. The young fellow that plays him in this series is way too young IMO, and doesn't look like he'd be strong enough to pull a bow. I don't really go for the all black leather look for Sir Guy. Talk about stereotypes! Anyway, RA looks good in it. Then again, he looks good in a bathrobe! LOL!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2014, 3:09am

Post #225 of 251 (893 views)
Shortcut
Holy smokin Thorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never saw this pic! Thanks for posting it! He certainly looks very royal..very kingly in this. Check out those vambraces and his rings! And I notice this is before he cut his beard. Notice the silver clip holding his beard together, like we saw in the beginning of the film when Thranduil was approaching Thror's chair and both Thorin and Thrain were standing beside him.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 27 2014, 3:13am)

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.