Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Staring contest: Merry and Pippin

Trahald

Jan 26 2014, 7:47pm

Post #1 of 6 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Staring contest: Merry and Pippin Can't Post

Who, of Merry and Pippin, would win a staring contest where they need to stare at each others faces and look angry or do grimaces?

The person to first change expression to something happy-ish or laugh loses.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 26 2014, 11:42pm

Post #2 of 6 (905 views)
Shortcut
Merry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Easily. He's got the whole intensity thing going on.

Compared to him, Pippin is a tomfool Took. Great to have at parties, but no sense of discipline or decorum.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 5:32pm

Post #3 of 6 (864 views)
Shortcut
I second this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin always struck me as slightly ADHD. He'd probably go, "Ooh, look, a squirrel!" and turn to look at something.
Merry wins. Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 4 2014, 8:46pm

Post #4 of 6 (873 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Trahald! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent question. I have to go with Merry. I do not think Pippin could stay serious and focused nearly as long as Merry could.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2014, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 6 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry would roll his eyes and say "Oh, Pippin, don't be so childish" and Pippin would jump up and down and shout, "You blinked, you blinked,"

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 12 2014, 10:48pm

Post #6 of 6 (854 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Ooh, look, a squirrel!"

I agree - remember Merry's "Why do you always have to look?" line. Pippin wouldn't last five seconds in a staring contest Smile.

A fun question though!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.