Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'What Say You' - The Hobbit Movie Reports ~ Rumours & Rumblings ~ Del Toro WILL Direct The Hobbit ~ Jan 08

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 3:08am

Post #1 of 13 (348 views)
Shortcut
'What Say You' - The Hobbit Movie Reports ~ Rumours & Rumblings ~ Del Toro WILL Direct The Hobbit ~ Jan 08 Can't Post

Why didn't I listen to my French Teacher! LOL!
If anyone can translate the video it would be great - as dial-upers may have a problem getting through it ...

Heads up from Calasuri on Main and we are just waiting for the confirmation .... sooooo let the speculation begin ...

(On the assumption that confirmation is around the corner .... if not we can close the thread ... but)

Questions:
What are you feeling now, knowing that the Hobbit has Del Toro as its Director?
Only The Hobbit was mentioned ... not the second film - do you feel Del Toro is in line to do both films?
What are your expectation now for the Hobbit film? Has your vision or expectations of the film changed with this news?
What do you think Del Toro may do that would be detectably different from a Jackson Directed Hobbit?
Do you feel things are starting to speed up for The Hobbit now?
What do you think the the next step in the process will be after this news?

Any comments you have about this news are most welcome!

and ... Why wasn't TORN the first to know!! Wink

Cheers
Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 3:26am

Post #2 of 13 (165 views)
Shortcut
A post by Compa Mighty ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just thought I'd place it here as it was in amongst the other threadsbelow ... but it makes me ask ...

Did we miss the signposts on the way as to who might Direct the Hobbit?

Posting an interview with Del Toro with an apparently more formal French site:

http://www.dvdrama.com/...toro-nous-repond.php

De passage à Paris pour la promotion de L'Orphelinat de Juan Antonio Bayona que Del Toro produit, le réalisateur mexicain nous a répondu avec sa gentillesse et sa bonne humeur légendaire :

« Réaliser Bilbo le Hobbit ? Ca va se faire ! » nous dit-il avec un large sourire. « Il y a encore quelques détails à définir, mais j’espère que ça va se faire ! Ce seront bien deux films qui sortiront aux alentours de 2011 et 2012. »
Du coup les autres projets qu’on lui accorde semblent en retrait, notamment la réalisation du dernier chapitre de la saga Harry Potter : « Je ne sais pas encore quelle tournure cela va prendre, mais Bilbo le Hobbit va m’occuper pendant 4 ans et je doute que Warner attende autant de temps pour finir Harry Potter ! »

Translation:

Passing through Paris, for the advertising of Juan Antonio Bayona's The Orphanage, that Del Toro produced, the mexican director answered our questions with his legendary amability and good humor:

"Film The Hobbit? That will be happening!" he tells us with a large smile on his face. " There are still several details to define, but I hope that will be happening! They'd be two films that will open around 2011 and 2012."

Suddendly,his other projects seem postponed, notably the realization of the last chapter of the Harry Potter saga: "I don't know how that will turn out, but The Hobbit will keep me busy for 4 years, and I doubt Warner will wait that long to end up Harry Potter!"

So there! 2011 and 2012? Different from 2010 and 2011 we had heard of!

This interview sounds much more feasible, as his statement is relatively moderate, and he's not confirming anything.

Thanks Compa Mighty.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Patty
Immortal

Jan 30 2008, 3:35am

Post #3 of 13 (168 views)
Shortcut
Answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sad. He'll probably do the films justice (I would hope) but this is so much not what I wanted. I can't imagine a director with the clout of GDT acquiescing to the executive producer's vision when it conflicts with his own.

Only The Hobbit was mentioned ... not the second film - do you feel Del Toro is in line to do both films?

I expect he is.

What are your expectation now for the Hobbit film? Has your vision or expectations of the film changed with this news? Yes. I will see it once though, but no T-shirts.Laugh

What do you think Del Toro may do that would be detectably different from a Jackson Directed Hobbit?
Do you feel things are starting to speed up for The Hobbit now? Yes.

What do you think the the next step in the process will be after this news? After the strike is over I would think we'll hear more. Unless the actors or directors go on strike.

and ... Why wasn't TORN the first to know!! Wink I think because it's not official. But I think it's true.

For Gondor!

MorrsMinor1000

Jan 30 2008, 3:57am

Post #4 of 13 (180 views)
Shortcut
I am still hopeful, but this wasn't what I expected [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO The Hobbit is a more child-like story. I liked the PJ take on LOTR but had hoped when the Hobbit was eventually made that it would be less dark and gritty. I thought that if they didn't get PJ for The Hobbit that they'd at least go for someone who would make the story a little lighter. While I liked Pan's Labyrinth if it is an audition of sorts for getting the Hobbit, I'm a bit frightened. I still have hope for a Hobbit that can sit comfortably beside LOTR on my shelf, but I need someone more familiar with Del Toro's work to convince me that he won't make an adaptation so dark that my kids will have to be in high school before they are allowed to see it.

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Jan 30 2008, 4:55am

Post #5 of 13 (170 views)
Shortcut
OH HAPPY FRABJOUS DAY!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I AM THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here goes...

JOY JOY JOY!!!!! Can I say it again? I AM THRILLED. If not PJ Unsure, then either Alphonso Cuaron HeartHeartHeartHeart or Guillermo Del Toro HeartHeartHeart were my next picks. Cuaron was always unlikely because his plate is extremely full at the moment. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best of all possible outcomes without PJ himself at the helm and I'm vastly releived Sam Raimi will not get his mits on it.

Of course!! Don't be silly, they'll be filmed concurrently, that's the only way to do it profitably and coherently. Del Toro even confirms two films.

What are your expectation now for the Hobbit film? Has your vision or expectations of the film changed with this news?

I am eagerly awaiting official announcements, casting et al. I have high expectations that this will be a good FILM, since it's now confirmed a real film director is on the project. I can't wait to see a PJ/Del Toro take on Middle Earth.

Time will tell. Del Toro will naturally have a slightly different take ont he material from PJ. But with PJ producing, Weta doing FX/conception/design and the LOTR team writing the script, this Hobbit will be very much within the same universe as LOTR. The best thing is that Del Toro is a visually sophisticated director and he doesn't dumb down his films, not even his comic book movies. This is one of the top directors in the world at the peak of his powers, a filmmaker who has a a real flair for myth and magic, a terrific storyteller, and someone who is happy to collaborate. I'm excited about what little surprises are in store for us - this partnership has my expectations running high indeed.

Do you feel things are starting to speed up for The Hobbit now?

How not? We still have the WGA strike to get through, remember.

Wait for the official announcement - scriptwork, conecpt design will proceed apace etc. Very early days still.

Some of you may not realize it yet, but IMO this is the best outcome we could've hoped for...unless the script reeks...this Hobbit should be magical. Del Toro has written and directed two of the finest movies of the new millenium, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, and a great sleeper, Un Embrujo and the indie Cronos.

I'm not at all concerned about The Hobbit being too dark, as I certainly wouldn't want it "lightened up" into something frothy. Del Toro will be working with a PJ/Fran/Phillipa script, and it's the script that will provide the blueprint of the movie. They're not remaking Pan's Labyrinth, which is a part of Del Toro's Spanish trilogy begun in 1991. Del Toro ain't auditioning for ANYTHING, nor does he need to. PJ & Del Toro understand very well what kind of film they want and need to make, and it won't be something that would give middle schoolers nightmares. Del Toro is nothing if not an intelligent and sensitive filmmaker. This won't be Hellboy and it won't be Devil's Backbone II.

Think about it - did Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban remind you of Y Tu Mama Tambien???

No, because they're very different films. Del Toro is a director with a brain AND a heart. He even has a sense of hunor. Relax, we couldn't be in better hands.

Don't you remember how people felt when it was announced that a Kiwi "splatter" flick director was going to do LOTR????

and ... Why wasn't TORN the first to know!!

Cuz it ain't official yet, geeks! TORN will be first in line when the signatures are on the contracts. Nothing is certain in this world until the lawyers have ssaid grace over the contracts.

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Jan 30 2008, 5:48am

Post #6 of 13 (157 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo and PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Over at Aint It Cool News, Harry reports on a conversation he had with Del Toro before the news broke yesterday in The Hollywood Reporter.

Here's what Harry says del Toro told hime about his ambitions for the Hobbit...

QUOTE:

"When Guillermo and I talked about it [The Hobbit movies], he spoke very heartfelt about how he had to adhere to what Peter had already established - but how he couldn't wait to expand that universe with the environments, creatures and most especially Smaug. I'm giddy."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35428

Just remember, del Toro is a huge fan of not only The Hobbit but also of Peter Jackson. They are geeks and film fans first.

I'm like Harry, I'm giddy.

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 12:42pm

Post #7 of 13 (145 views)
Shortcut
What a response! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see you might be a bit pleased with the news and possibly doing a happy dance if its confirmed, No? LOL!! Laugh

Thanks for the reply ShadowFaxs - you make a good point about the 'dark and lightness' of the Hobbit.
I dont feel the Hobbit is a light story, but has shades of very dark grey amongst it - though I suppose we dont have to actually see Smaug BBQ'ing and crunching on Ponies Wink

but the Battle of the Five Armies scene will be interesting and very intense no doubt!
I hope your expectations are filled to the brim! Smile

Nice post!
Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 12:52pm

Post #8 of 13 (130 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone .there .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Patty!
Thanks for the reply!

.. and I think you're not the only one who is disappointed with this decision (when totally confirmed) ... when you've been waiting so long for some news and then wham - not what you had hoped for ...

A few comments made from fans on one of Del Toros website were not happy that he was going anywhere near the Hobbit - there were other films in the aisle they would like to see him working on ... so there is disappointment on both sides of the fence.

I am in two minds, though I dont see him completing the project ... just a feeling, so maybe reserve your sadness and have some fun ...

... and thankyou for posting your thoughts ... maybe you can have the No Del Toro T-Shirt ... ya gotta have a T-Shirt Patty!! Wink

Main thread has some news, and it looks as if its 99% certain ... so we have to wait .... still *sigh*

Cheers
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 1:00pm

Post #9 of 13 (133 views)
Shortcut
Maybe though ... [In reply to] Can't Post

to get the films ratings the same as LOTR - it wont be so gruesome and dark .... though I think personally - just my opinion here - The Hobbit could do with a bit of ... hmmm ... not so much darkness, but maybe maturity to it ... I think the gap between the LOTR and Hobbit, and possibly the second film should be a smooth connection, and not one which seems simplified because of the book ...
though Im sure the quality will still be there ... and Im sure they'll snuggle up on the shelves together when they're made Wink ... thats why Im so pleased Peter and Fran are around - Im sure they'll make that happen ...

Cheers
Elven

... and I love you nick! *thumbs-up emoticon*
I was a Cooper S Mk III in a past life Laugh

Thank for the comments and the post!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 31 2008, 12:53am

Post #10 of 13 (112 views)
Shortcut
Oh boy..where do I start? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

In Reply To
Why didn't I listen to my French Teacher! LOL!
If anyone can translate the video it would be great - as dial-upers may have a problem getting through it ...

Heads up from Calasuri on Main and we are just waiting for the confirmation .... sooooo let the speculation begin ...

(On the assumption that confirmation is around the corner .... if not we can close the thread ... but)

Questions:
What are you feeling now, knowing that the Hobbit has Del Toro as its Director? See Shadowfas's postLaugh

Yes. They are being shot back to back, as LOTR was, and that I think is the ONLY way to do massive Tolkien adaptations....with as much on-set continuity as possible.

What are your expectation now for the Hobbit film? Has your vision or expectations of the film changed with this news? It will take me a year to answer this, so people will find out in individual ways as the threads move along.

What do you think Del Toro may do that would be detectably different from a Jackson Directed Hobbit? I can't really say at this point, but I disagree with PJ's assertion that TH is as "linear" as it seems. I would hope that Del Toro would follow the PJ/Fran tradition of dramatic intercuts between situations ans scenes that hieghtened the tension and gave so much of LOTR its epic quality. There's room for that in TH and esp if the 2nd film is about the rise of Dol Goldur. We could switch between the escape of Gollum and other events....

Do you feel things are starting to speed up for The Hobbit now? Yes. As I pointed out in the other thread, according to Awardsdaily and Nikki Finke's site, things are going on behind the scenes regarding the writer's strike, and we could see a deal as early as early next week. Rumors are flying around town that the WGA is settling for a modified version of the deal the DGA got, and Gil Cates, the DGA negotiator, (who is also the Oscar show's Producer---hm?) is frantic to have the Oscars go on as normal. My gut feeling is that they will. I hope it ends soon, but I also want the writers to have gotten something decent out of it.

What do you think the the next step in the process will be after this news? The announcement of Del Tor directing of course. I think sooner rather than later, it's the best kept "secret" in Hollywood right now--that video has gone viral!! As regards the script...I think a workable 2-film "skeleton" is in place, they're ready to resume writing. As for the score, I think our Howard has been doodling away! He's not a scriptwriter, so you can bet HE's been hard at work! Hee hee. (I *love* Shore, he's such a geek, I can just imagine him having a Tolkien geek-out spasm at watching the video yesterday...or whenever he found out last month...that was one of my first thoughts, I wonder what Shore is feeling now....)

Any comments you have about this news are most welcome! Oh boy...where do I start:)

and ... Why wasn't TORN the first to know!! Wink We will be! we always are! *snert* With apologies to Francis Ford Coppola: "If Del Toro is directing, he's not directing until *we* say he is! Got it?"

Cheers
Elven

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 31 2008, 12:58am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2008, 9:51pm

Post #11 of 13 (85 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you found the translations useful! [In reply to] Can't Post

And to answer your questions:

Questions:
What are you feeling now, knowing that the Hobbit has Del Toro as its Director? The same way as I voted in the pole on the home page: cautiously optimistic. I am on record saying Del Toro wasn't my perfect choice, but after reading many of the forummers' thoughts I have started to change my mind. He just might do it spectacularly.
Only The Hobbit was mentioned ... not the second film - do you feel Del Toro is in line to do both films? Hollywood and the media aren't distinguishing between The Hobbit and the prequel, for everyone it's just the same project, and I think that's the way it will be. I don't think they'll do them simultaneously and bring another director. So yes.
What are your expectation now for the Hobbit film? Has your vision or expectations of the film changed with this news? Yes, actually. It can't be the exact same as if PJ would do them.But different is good. They both have shown enormous respect for one another. We just might be witnessing the genesis of the Spielberg/Lucas combo of the following years. Few can argue against how good that is.
What do you think Del Toro may do that would be detectably different from a Jackson Directed Hobbit? Interestingly enough, he might be more faithful to the book. At least in The Hobbit, I can't speak for the other movie.
Do you feel things are starting to speed up for The Hobbit now? Oh yes, they are. The strike seems to be near its end, and with everything set in the director area, we'll just have to wait for confirmation of the Boyens/Walsh/Jackson/Del Toro screenplay. Do you REALLY think they'll let anyone else within a hundred miles of it?
  1. Official confirmation of Del Toro.
  2. Confirmation of the writing team.
  3. Confirmation of Shore, Lee and Howe
  4. And oh yes! The actors! Expect the first one to be announced to be Sir Christopher Lee. You know, let's put our grudges in the past, and let's tell the fandom that Saruman is back! (And get his scenes filmed ASAP)

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

HUORN
The Shire

Feb 1 2008, 3:40pm

Post #12 of 13 (56 views)
Shortcut
excellent news [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very happy Del Toro is the guy. I hope he is given the freedom to do what hewants. I wish he would have done lotr. He values the story and the symbolic significance of the story. PJ is mainly a fan of b movies and over the top action sequences and effects. I have a feeling that the the more I enjoy it the less PJ fans will and vice verse.

(This post was edited by HUORN on Feb 1 2008, 3:49pm)

Elven
Valinor

Feb 6 2008, 6:14pm

Post #13 of 13 (65 views)
Shortcut
The Reports keep rolling in ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Feb 7th 08

Yet it is clear that there is an underlying factor presently which prevents the confirmation of Del Toro Directing the Hobbit, other wise we would have news now.

Some say the writers strike is the cause. Though I feel that there are other considerations which may well be effecting this decision as I mentioned earlier last month when the announcement was made, and I still believe that even if this comes about (Del Toro Directing the Hobbit), then there maybe a few complications further down the line, which may even see him leave the project at some stage....

Im not certain of factors - but I do include money in amongst the list - and
moving to a new home and placement for the years he must spend working on the film = relocation basically.
What he has to give up - other projects and the timing and schedules over the next 8 years ...

Another thought I had today which I posted about elsewhere; was the monitoring the reaction of fans and the interest generated by the news. So far, I see it as being a fairly cordial response, considering we are talking about 2 of the greatest Directors (IMHO) around ... and we are talking about one of the most well read books ... following on the tails of LOTR ..
But overall I think the response has been positive, yet this dragging the tail for an announcement might dampen the day a Director IS confirmed. Thinking (way too much here Wink) .. response may be also be monitored for investment purposes as well ... it would give some indication - especially confidence about expectations of how the movie will be received, what sort of promotional tools will be needed in advance to get this not just off the ground, but flying high - much of this can be done before the movie /s are released, but it is a build up of momentum ... and it has to be spot on to bring the money back into the pockets of the investors ... and possibly sealed so tightly (as to lawsuits) that lessens the risks of money going out, and money coming back in for the studios. Shaye mentioned last year that he had a new focus on Publicity and Relations ... maybe this is part of an overall strategy, or if not, maybe they should use what they can gleen at the moment to project how things might fare.

Speaking of confirmations ...
I found this also on www.detoromovies.com

It was posted a couple of days ago - so nothing new, but I found it interesting ...

UPDATE (1-FEB-2008)
From an email from GDT:
The Hobbit is not a certainty yet. We are in advanced talks but nothing
100% sure. I feel privileged to be approached but we all know -from
the lists of announcements in the trades- that we must wait until a
movie is green lit to make it a reality. Remember, the morning that
HELLBOY II was greenlit, I was finishing talks to do the WOLF MAN at
the same studio and one cancelled the other... That's how crazy it can
get."

Best

GDT

I think that response is also very much why the Hobbit cannot be confirmed, regardless of the writers strike.
There are other things at play which need sorting, and to me, if I had to move for such a length of time - relocate - give up other opportunities - I think I'd want a very big carrot dangling in my face in the way of recompense $$$$ to consider somthing as big as that too, let alone for my skills and position in the industry ... but to shoulder such responsibility must be also considered ... it would be a huge commitment, which ever way its looked at.

Just some thoughts

Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

(This post was edited by Elven on Feb 6 2008, 6:16pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.