Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right, ladies.
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 8:10pm

Post #151 of 251 (1078 views)
Shortcut
if it's not clear... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll choose the uncle (the piece about Dwalin eventually taking me home was the last strawEvil
Heart But why bother? They all die... Why have they made them the most adorable ones??

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 8:12pm

Post #152 of 251 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Updated... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, dormouse, Glorfindela, Elanor of Rohan, (anyone else)?

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, (anyone else)?

Bard's Belles: Starling

*Conflicted, channeling Bella Swan and Katniss Everdeen, looking for a love triangle Wink

THRANDUIL RULES! Heart Heart Heart

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 8:34pm

Post #153 of 251 (1061 views)
Shortcut
But but but but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't choose a favorite...

I like Thorin and Fili AND Kili because, well... you know. Great characters, great voices, great relationship, great actors, etc. Thorin is stronge majestic and all leader-y. Fili was raised and trained by Thorin so he has a lot of the same characteristics, but he's very loyal to his brother. AND then there'e Kili. Aidan Turner can light a country with that smile. I mean, talk about dark and handsome WITH an accent, too! BUT Bofur makes me laugh... He's has so much personality and doesn't take himself to serious. He isn't "handsome" in a Thorin sense, but I like the character.

And Bard is hot as hell...

I'll just go with being the Over Lord hot characters. A neutral, if you will.

"Yar a wizard Peeta!" - Gandalf

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Jan 25 2014, 8:38pm

Post #154 of 251 (1104 views)
Shortcut
SW's dwarves are not kick-a** enough [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard on the difference between Snow White's dwarves and Tolkien's dwarves (interview with USA Today from December 2012).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/...mitage/2023417854001

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 9:11pm

Post #155 of 251 (1056 views)
Shortcut
I'm leaving [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to be a 'belle'. It sounds awful and girly. I want to be a beau. *pouts*

And I liked the pun.

And since I'm the only one in the group I am surely in charge of it? Laugh

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 9:21pm

Post #156 of 251 (1062 views)
Shortcut
I see fire.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there is something about the way Thorin just turns the sword and the grating of metal against stone - and just the way Thorin stands....

But, personally, as awful as this is, there's just something darkly glorious about Thorin.....and *cough* it's a miracle the walls around them didn't scorch.
Not that I noticed the compelling eyes and the inky mane flowing back from Thorin's neck, of course. That would be shallow. Angelic

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 9:29pm

Post #157 of 251 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Updated for Starling! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, dormouse, Glorfindela, Elanor of Rohan, (anyone else)?

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, (anyone else)?

Bard's Beaus: Starling (Lone member & Prez of the BB club!)

*Conflicted, channeling Bella Swan and Katniss Everdeen, looking for a love triangle Wink

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 9:30pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 9:30pm

Post #158 of 251 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that link! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't seen that before - I love those kind of "60 second" interviews - geez, RA is just flat out a handsome, gorgeous man with a beautiful smile. I've been catching Robin Hood now and again - sorry for its fans but I keep thinking how cheesy this show is - BUT - there's something compelling about it and want to watch all of it. And then when RA shows up I have to work not to squeal - you can see the greatness there.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 9:33pm

Post #159 of 251 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Dear ladies [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to sound gloomy but...
now we are analyzing and rejoycing in blue eyes, megawatt smiles (the smile that could light up a country had me really in stitches, Ellanara)
and deep voices, brotherly bonds and loyalty, but what will we be talking about around Christmas 2014?
Do you know that there's plenty of tearful fanart and even more tearful heart-breaking songs to accompany them all over youtube?

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2014, 9:42pm

Post #160 of 251 (1032 views)
Shortcut
No argument there [In reply to] Can't Post

That is real power of presence in that scene. It's another scene where I said thank you to the Shakespearean gods for RA's training. That is stage presence, pure and simple. He used every single bit of that same training to give Thorin that ability to feel like thunder gathering even in the quietest scenes. It's a wonder to behold live on stage and I hope to be able to do that again sometime.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 9:56pm

Post #161 of 251 (1032 views)
Shortcut
but seriously re Fili and Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Fili and Kili. Not only are they gorgeous and fun in their own right, I think the movies have shown their quality - it's Kili who, in the middle of a skirmish, manages to open the river gate. It's Fili who stands up to his uncle, takes on the orcs at Bard's, who tells Bard to take his children and go. These two are WORTHY heirs of Durin, IMO, they are two of my favorites.

Re the movies - well, suspect a fair number of us aren't looking forward to certain events. PJ & co. needed people to care to follow the characters over three films, but I wonder if that strategy might backfire, a little. Hard to say - right now I am going to concentrate on getting the DVD and EE and be happy I can re-write endings in my head, as needed. Eventually.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 10:04pm

Post #162 of 251 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Bard's Beau.tiful Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

How's that? Cool

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 10:10pm

Post #163 of 251 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Too soon for that, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't remember what I saw someone post - maybe it was fan art - something about passing from life, into legend. E.g., that which is dead will never die.

I don't read Youtube comments and watch fan vids that often, some of the vids are incredible but you have to do a LOT of filtering - lots of maudlin sludge there too. (For me, mostly I suspect I'll just be furious, that characters I personally feel "eh" about are still hopping around but others are gone, why PJ just didn't re-do the ending or film two endings, etc. I'm really not sure what PJ & co. are thinking, on the one hand there's canon and you need to care about the characters to follow through three movies, and this IS Bilbo's tale overall; on the other hand the reality is for a number of people it's just depressing to think about.).

But it's too early, and no point in being in a hurry re TABA, because the worst thing after TABA is no more ME movies - not for many years I'm sure. But really, DOS hasn't even been released in some countries yet!

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 10:16pm

Post #164 of 251 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Durin's heirs'fate [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that JRR Tolkien chose to make them both die because:
- Thorin had basically two heirs instead of one, and in wiping out both of them he didn't have to choose one instead of the other.
By the way, in the Hobbit Kili is older than Fili, then in the Appendices of LOTR, we see in the family tree that Fili is older and this apparent inconsistency shows us that their roles were not definite at the time of writing.

-the other, more important reason, is that in Norse literature, the theme of the sister son (and/or sister daughter like in LOTR) is one of strongest bonds possible, symbol of loyalty and sacrifice till the end. So he had some examples of nephews, who bravely died to defend their uncles, to draw upon.

And since he was a philologist and a scholar, not a mere novelist, he wanted to follow that tradition.

And since PJ and FW and PB are the cruellest people on Earth, or Middle Earth EvilEvilEvil
Wink
they came up with the idea of the "cute dwarves".HeartHeart and we are all wondering whether Thorin's blue eyes are better than Kili's smile or than Fili's hair...

Ismene
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 10:45pm

Post #165 of 251 (983 views)
Shortcut
oh dear, decisions decisions. [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing as there's no Fili or Kiil thralldom here & Thranduil is just the wrong kind of crazy for me, Thorin's Thrall I shall be Heart

"I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me"

(This post was edited by Ismene on Jan 25 2014, 10:49pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 10:48pm

Post #166 of 251 (977 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the interesting post re Tolkien (I also think he was picking on his Thorin character so more, re the concept of greed and tragedy, but since I had issues w. the book it didn't have the effect I think Tolkien wanted re myself, since I just got irritated even as a child....)

"And since PJ and FW and PB are the cruellest people on Earth, or Middle Earth EvilEvilEvil
Wink
they came up with the idea of the "cute dwarves".HeartHeart and we are all wondering whether Thorin's blue eyes are better than Kili's smile or than Fili's hair...
"

Oh, yes. PJ & co. have been ruthless - knowing they had to hold the audience interest, probably re the You-Tube vids know full well there's a huge group of pre-teens, teens, who buy a lot of movie tickets and in a way are really going to ENJOY the tears of it all, practically wallow in it. Tho I wonder how many of the unknowing in the audience will just get mad - there were all these furious posts when Game of Thrones lost some characters, including ones that said they'd never watch the series again. Then there may be people like me who have the vague sense of being manipulated Mad.....but there is the fact that whatever PJ does, without him there would be no gorgeous, heartbreaking, Thorin, Fili, Kili, Bard, Thranduil, etc. So I have to give PJ & co. credit for that casting, even if I am furious (eventually) at the same time. Cool

Ismene
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 10:53pm

Post #167 of 251 (989 views)
Shortcut
'cute dwarves" [In reply to] Can't Post

And since PJ and FW and PB are the cruellest people on Earth, or Middle Earth EvilEvilEvil
Wink

Beautiful eyes, stunning smile or gorgeous hair - I'll enjoy all three thank you Evil

"I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 10:59pm

Post #168 of 251 (971 views)
Shortcut
You can name your club(s)! What shall we call Kili's thralls? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard's Beaus: Starling (Lone member & Prez of the BB club!)

Fili Fanciers(?): Ismene

Kili's Kitties: Ismene

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 11:12pm)

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 11:06pm

Post #169 of 251 (965 views)
Shortcut
He was going to rewrite the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

According to PJ in the EE AUJ, Tolkien was planning to rewrite The Hobbit, but didn't get to it before his death. That's why some of the text don't match.

I agree that he made Fili, Kili, and Thorin awesome so we'd all grow attached to them. Unsure

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 11:07pm

Post #170 of 251 (952 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili's Kitties!

Ismene
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 11:13pm

Post #171 of 251 (942 views)
Shortcut
Fancier's fits the alliterative theme [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili Fanciers(?): Ismene

Kili's ???: Ismene

but darned if I can come up with something suitable for Kili's. Concubines perhaps? Blush

"I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 11:17pm

Post #172 of 251 (948 views)
Shortcut
Kili fits the alliterative theme [In reply to] Can't Post

with ...Khaleesi WinkWinkWink
but I guess this is another story LaughLaughLaugh

Maybe the best is Kili's Kitties

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 11:24pm

Post #173 of 251 (938 views)
Shortcut
I went with Ellanara's suggestion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for Kili! (Kili's Kitties.) Smile

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 11:29pm

Post #174 of 251 (929 views)
Shortcut
It took me a moment... [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I got it! Very, verrrry rough draft:

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 26 2014, 12:34am

Post #175 of 251 (947 views)
Shortcut
only one marriageable dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

and, that, IMO is Balin. He is brave, caring, loyal, gentle, even-tempered -- all those qualities you'd want for a lifelong mate. Of course, I am SOLIDLY in the Thorin camp but as a husband? Erm, no. Too volatile, hot-tempered, unpredictable. But, yes, gorgeous so at least he would be nice to look at but, once the madness hits, watch out!

The second choice (and not a bad choice by any means) is Bard. Movie Bard shows that he is a caring family man who can love a woman (he has in the past) and can also discuss politics over dinner and a glass of wine. And he also is not bad to look at Wink

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.