Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right, ladies.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 25 2014, 11:58am

Post #126 of 251 (722 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I showed this to my daughter and she is planning on moving Snuggle-Thorin into her 'Filly Magical Flower Palace' or whatever that strange pink thing in her room is called ... Crazy

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jan 25 2014, 12:10pm

Post #127 of 251 (770 views)
Shortcut
Ok let's stir the pot a bit on 'the dwarf guy thing'!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ro, how open minded of you to invite guys in to offer an opinion. what fun, coed sharing? I'll give you my guy picks as if i were your brother or cousin and wanted to set you up.

1) let's go controversial right away. my guy opinion says kili, aidan turner, would be the prime dwarf catch on this middle earth dating game--i think he is more handsome in a boyish way than richard armitage who is obviously a different, darker type--hidden ambition and aggression--kili is a handsome friendly guy, musical, fun, jovial, good storyteller, can do flirty fun mind games that pull you in with dwarf rune stones, ask tauriel. good guy for heart to heart chat, again, ask tauriel. life with kili would be enjoyable, never ending surprise.

armitage is a very good looking guy and a fine actor who's absolutely ruling this role--i imagine him coming at you as he battles white orc, cape flapping, through flames, sword in hand, eyes blazing stirs your heartstrings. but for a romance? he'd brood and obsess 24-7 on my lost kingdom, my people, our family dynasty and treasure, that foul dragon, etc. etc. think he's going to take you to dorwinion vineyards this summer, forget it. he'll be staring off towards erebor again.

2) honorable mentions to thranduil, got that old school duran duran, david bowie so handsome he's pretty thing going--if you want old thran you probably like a bit of aristocracy in your guys. but for a guy that rules one of mirkwood's only healthy living elf magic protected forests, he spends a lot of time underground. what the heck does he do down there all day? another guy who thinks, plots, schemes a lot? might get wearing.

3) oddball idea--the new old legolas. this is a weird one and it's just due to the way people age and they did LOTR first, 10-14 yrs ago. imhguyo, orlando bloom is handsomer and more credible as an elf of action in hobbit when he's supposed to be younger than he was in LOTR--while younger in the storyline, he looks older cause he is in real life, more seasoned and acts a bit meaner than in LOTR when he almost glowed with that rockstar sun god hair. his royalty comes across a lot more in hobbit, he is a prince in line for the throne and he acts with a more imperial air.

4) bard a little too dark and sneaky at present, though he will of course change his fortunes in the smaug attack. if you want stately older gents, there is elrond, who has a can't quite tell how old he is air of mystery about him--as tolkien suggested--and gandalf who goes around in beat up cloaks, but shines up literally in his gandalf the white incarnation in white robes, snappy wizard attire, the white tux guy of the 5 wizards, but that's ahead in LOTR.

So that's how one member of the other half thinks....Thirteenth Warrior out.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2014, 1:06pm

Post #128 of 251 (715 views)
Shortcut
Oakenminx? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it! LaughAngelic

"...at no point have I yet found artistic truth and theological truth at variance." --Dorothy Sayers

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 1:50pm

Post #129 of 251 (735 views)
Shortcut
Calling all members! Proclaim your allegiance here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dorwinion red with Thranduil... now you're talking! (In moderation of course--we don't want him passing out.) Blush

Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, (anyone else)?

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, (anyone else)?

Bard's Beaus: Starling

*Conflicted, channeling Bella Swan and Katniss Everdeen, looking for a love triangle Wink

In Reply To
Yes, you do need wine. Dorwinion red, say, and someone to drink it with...Thranduil, perhaps?Wink

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 2:03pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 1:53pm

Post #130 of 251 (727 views)
Shortcut
This is great... thanks, 13th Warrior... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's Thralls can bring him back into the light... All we have to do is kill Sauron and rid the forest of those nasty spiders. And break out the wine! Laugh

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 2:07pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 2:53pm

Post #131 of 251 (706 views)
Shortcut
*Creeps quietly in on Thorin's side.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...(well, no one ever notices a mouse)

Strange, because the Elvenking has been my Tolkien hero from the age of eight, or thereabouts. And I couldn't stand Thorin. But Thranduil, mean, moody and magnificent as he is - and gracious, can that man swirl a cloak! - he isn't quite my Elvenking, whereas Thorin is *cough* Richard Armitage.... And he is so powerful onscreen, despite being so - er - short. And his face really lights up when he smiles. And his voice....

Come the next film, when Thranduil has had a chance to be the lord of a good and kindly people, I might let him share the pedestal! Sly

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 4:05pm

Post #132 of 251 (697 views)
Shortcut
Calling all members! Proclaim your allegiance here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, dormouse, (anyone else)?

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, (anyone else)?

*Conflicted, channeling Bella Swan and Katniss Everdeen, looking for a love triangle Wink

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jan 25 2014, 4:15pm

Post #133 of 251 (702 views)
Shortcut
Guy to Elven King Guy, I'd tell Thranduil..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Rowan, if a mere mortal could give Thranduil a fashion tip, I'd say lose the big pointy tiara, it's kinda miss world crown-like, imhguyo, and go with the simple band worn by elrond, more elven ruler studly--and he'll need to go with dark cloaks and some military royal elf commander in chief armor outfit for the battle of 5 armies and the showdown over the arkenstone. can't have him in that yes/rick wakeman cape for those scenes!! i am suddenly writing GQ Middle Earth fashion magazine reviews. what the king of the northern elves is wearing this fall.....

Regards, Thirteenth Warrior

ps is that shadowfax on your avatar ID??

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 4:28pm

Post #134 of 251 (689 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's crown prince/princes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, well, I'm stuck in a sort of triangle, I can't choose between Kili and Fili (soft spot for Dean O'Gorman but also for Kili's wink when he smiles). I'm preparing a huuuge box of kleenex for TABABlush

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 4:34pm

Post #135 of 251 (693 views)
Shortcut
sorry but Thranduil's crown [In reply to] Can't Post

is so fabulous that it blows my mind every time I see him, especially when he turns around swirling his gown Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2014, 4:40pm

Post #136 of 251 (672 views)
Shortcut
Love the crown too but he looks good no matter what he wears [In reply to] Can't Post

See? He has a circlet, he just only wears it in battle

And he looks pretty darn good even without a crown at all!

Pardon me while I swoon!

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 4:42pm

Post #137 of 251 (675 views)
Shortcut
Thorin: definitely count me in! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, dormouse, Glorfindela (anyone else)?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 4:50pm

Post #138 of 251 (682 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts on your suggestions. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Kili: no, definitely not for me. Too much of a boy and not experienced, intense or intelligent enough. Thorin to me is much more enigmatic, handsome and masculine. (And I prefer leaders to followers myself.)

2. Thranduil: probably my second favourite from the Middle-Earth films (after Thorin).

3. Legolas: definitely not. I wasn't one of the OMGs over him when it came to LotR, and am most definitely not one now. Hate his characterisation (petulant and unpleasant), his zombie looks and the absurd CGI stunts. Waste of space as far as I'm concerned.

4. Bard: an interesting one. I think he could be a sensitive loverů

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 5:32pm

Post #139 of 251 (674 views)
Shortcut
Not Shadowfax.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But a famous Arab stallion (I forget his name).

Thranduil took your advice for the Bo5A and went with a simple "Elrond-ish" crow (although I do love his crown--so unique and almost threatening because you could put out an eye if you're not careful!: Wink
http://fc03.deviantart.net/...bootslvr-d6bp619.gif

In Reply To
Thanks Rowan, if a mere mortal could give Thranduil a fashion tip, I'd say lose the big pointy tiara, it's kinda miss world crown-like, imhguyo, and go with the simple band worn by elrond, more elven ruler studly--and he'll need to go with dark cloaks and some military royal elf commander in chief armor outfit for the battle of 5 armies and the showdown over the arkenstone. can't have him in that yes/rick wakeman cape for those scenes!! i am suddenly writing GQ Middle Earth fashion magazine reviews. what the king of the northern elves is wearing this fall.....

Regards, Thirteenth Warrior

ps is that shadowfax on your avatar ID??

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 5:34pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 5:33pm

Post #140 of 251 (665 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the crown. It's so unique. And the robes..... *sigh*

In Reply To
is so fabulous that it blows my mind every time I see him, especially when he turns around swirling his gown Wink

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 5:40pm

Post #141 of 251 (653 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they had reached a concensus the last time [In reply to] Can't Post

and it doesn't really matter to me, because I'm still gonna call 'em Oakensheilas in my head. ;) But I'd prefer to reserve 'Thralls' for our team. I was one of Fili's Fillies until the mesmerizing immortal one had his waycast his spell upon me.

I don't know if Kili's fans have chosen their name, but I've been jokingly referring to the potential fanbase as Kili's Kuties since the "Hot Dwarves" thing became news. I feared they would be like the new squeeing Orli girls. Leggy's Lasses was a bit too dignified for that young LotR bunch. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 6:00pm

Post #142 of 251 (630 views)
Shortcut
*adds to roster* [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent, I'll make sure you receive the weekly Thorin newsletter. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 6:06pm

Post #143 of 251 (642 views)
Shortcut
We wants it! We needs it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I would most definitely like to see that link. "lots of Thorin" bring it on! Cool

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 6:32pm

Post #144 of 251 (624 views)
Shortcut
Bard's Beaus [In reply to] Can't Post

You might want to check with Starling, but I think that should be Bard's Belles? Smile

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 6:59pm

Post #145 of 251 (614 views)
Shortcut
D'oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point! Not sure why I went masculine on that one. LOL

In Reply To
You might want to check with Starling, but I think that should be Bard's Belles? Smile

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 7:02pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 7:00pm

Post #146 of 251 (610 views)
Shortcut
Updated because I'm a doof... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Thralls (aka: the Oakenminxes): Kim, Roheryn*, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, arthmancer, Brethil, Dame Ioreth, Riven Delve, Avandel, Old Toby, elaen23, Angharad73, dormouse, Glorfindela, (anyone else)?

Bard's Belles: Starling

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 7:01pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 7:24pm

Post #147 of 251 (608 views)
Shortcut
Thanks 13thWarrior - I enjoyed reading your take on things! [In reply to] Can't Post

And, Welcome to TORN! Angelic
Oakenminx-ness aside, I like your points about Legolas' evolution as a character and why I actually find him much more interesting and intriguing as this arrogant insular Elfling that we see now; because I know where he ends up. His arc is no suspense per se, its the pleasure of watching it develop.
We just watched LOTR here at home, EE's over the last few days. At many points I found Legolas' actions and reactions enhanced for me, having seen him in his relative youth.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 25 2014, 7:24pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 7:27pm

Post #148 of 251 (638 views)
Shortcut
But could trust Thorin with my life [In reply to] Can't Post

And if anything, these movies have shown that Thorin is multi-dimensional - he hasn't forgotten humor e.g. AUJ "there are still a few warriors amongst us". He smiles a little in AUJ when Bilbo turns up. Might take some effort to reach Thorin but IMO life with someone like that would never be dull - it'd be fascinating. The movies don't show it, but I seriously doubt Thorin spent ALL his time in the Blue Mountains building shelters and/or hammering out horseshoes - he's a dwarf, and they like to celebrate. With energy. And dwarves are a serious race, so if you get involved with a dwarf, it's gonna be work hard, play hard.

Well, yeah, Fili and especially Kili are a good time. But dealing with them would be like herding cats, and especially Kili you'd have to yell at him all the time for checking out your competition.
And how are you going to compete w. the brother-bond anyway? It'd be like dating both of them, which gets pretty freaky. Seriously, you're at a club with them and they are texting back and forth and then Kili gets into a fight with an elf or a human and you get a table of drinks dumped on your new gown and a bowl of lembas thrown at your head.

And THEN you have to bail the both of them out of jail, which you don't have the coins for, so THEN you have to ask their formidable uncle for help (with a torn gown and hair dripping with ale while Thorin looks through you, not even disgustedly because you're not worth that much majestic effort) and THEN you watch Thorin cuff Fili and Kili in the back of the head for (not for fighting, but being a disgrace to dwarven-kind by losing and then getting arrested) and THEN you get a lift home by the terrifying Dwalin and have to cling to his gamey-smelling fur (with the fleas) on the back of an irritated pony and by the time you get home it's dawn and you smell like road kill and EVERY SINGLE NEIGHBOR in your apartment complex has decided to get up early for fresh bakery croissants and sees you limp to your door with your wrecked gown and smeared mascara.

Thranduil I think isn't for anyone with the slightest iota of insecurity, which rules out most of the population, really. But he might appreciate simple worship and awe....

Bard - there's another one IMO where life would never be dull. And any female with any kind of sense is going to realize while he might not party all night long like Fili and Kili, any guy who has done a great job with three kids might be someone worth thinking about for the long haul - and anyway he, like Thorin, has a killer smile - worth some effort. Legolas? Er, depends on whether you are the kind who enters marathons and then does an evening Pilates class - better be prepared to feel the burn (no pun intended).

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 8:03pm

Post #149 of 251 (606 views)
Shortcut
ok ok you can [In reply to] Can't Post

enlist me on the dark, erm ...dwarf sideHeartHeartHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 8:06pm

Post #150 of 251 (616 views)
Shortcut
You've ruined Snow White for me forever [In reply to] Can't Post

"While I was sitting there going WOW, Snow White got jipped,"

ROFLOL!!!!Sly (And I'd just seen Snow White and the Huntsman on cable - THOSE dwarves, well, OK. The "sanctuary" scene was lovely. But like I was possessed, my head kept turning to glance at my big framed Thorin and AUJ dwarves posters during the movie and giving a tiny sigh. Very CUTE dwarves in that movie, to be sure. But now something is just LACKING in those depictions.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.