Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right, ladies.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 24 2014, 5:13pm

Post #76 of 251 (762 views)
Shortcut
blues.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think of sapphires as darker, whereas there are London blue, swiss blue, sky blue topaz - in the Balin/Thorin scene at Bag End that's what I thought Thorin's eyes look like - blue topaz backlit by fire.
Or shades of a Caribbean sea - *cough* I'm really looking forward to the DVD so I can freeze scenes like at the river edge and just stare in wonder for a few more minutes (and then remember to breathe, LOL).

Is the page-a-day calender a "good one" e.g. lots of great Thorin images? I need a 2014 calender, but the one I liked best is the German one - didn't think much of the U.S. calender. I'm doing a collage too!, got a hobbit/dwarves silhouette from Amazon that you usually put on a wall, and I figured I overlay stuff over that. Maybe I will do a scrapbook too - because like the WETA books from time to time I just want to flip through and look at pictures or read, not fire up a whole movie.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 5:54pm

Post #77 of 251 (785 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah, that Thorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if he was quite as swoon-worthy in DOS as in AUJ, and I don't know why that is. He does have some serious competition in DOS with Thranduil and Bard, yeah those two definitely got it going on! Like many I agree that the entrance to Erebor scenes were the most emotional, with both the despair and the (wow, don't have the words for it, someone help me out!) expression as he touched the walls for the first time in a hundred years! But the two scenes that stand out the most for me personally is (1) the showdown with Bard in Laketown. As Thorin talks, he walks up the stairs to be at eye-level with Bard - cracked me up! And (2) the slightly masochistic side of me thinks the scene where he pulled the sword on Bilbo was SO SEXY! That smouldering glare was hotter than Smaug - and that's saying alot! Take me, I'm YOURSHeartEvil

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 5:55pm

Post #78 of 251 (738 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for sharing that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that was long! I didn't think I'd read the whole thing, but I did because it was so interesting and fun to read about everything Samm did on her special day. It's so great that she took the time to write that down so we could all share in her excitement. (and boy was she excited!)

I just can't get over how incredibly humble, friendly, down-to-earth, and sweet everyone on the Hobbit cast and crew is! I don't care how good of an actor or director or crew member someone is, if they are not good people (a.k.a. jerks) in real life, it really takes away any respect I might have had for them. But with the Hobbit (and LotR for that matter), I have been continually impressed at how wonderful and kind these people are in real life and my respect for them as good human beings with exemplary character grows and grows every time I learn something new about any them. The way that they treated the Make-A-Wish girl like she was the most important person in the room is just another example of that.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 5:58pm

Post #79 of 251 (744 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, daft American calendar [In reply to] Can't Post

Not NEARLY enough Thorin - and who cares about Azog? Though the Thranduil picture was nice. I still bought it, but I'll probably replace Azog with a good pic of Smaug/Benedict, and possibly replace Radagast with Fili & Thorin from a cut scene. It's a good pic. Oh well, good luck with that German calendar. They really should make a Thorin calendar, shouldn't they?

(This post was edited by Hengist on Jan 24 2014, 8:23pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 6:02pm

Post #80 of 251 (747 views)
Shortcut
I got the Funko-Pop Thorin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope the picture uploads right - isn't it CUTE!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 6:06pm

Post #81 of 251 (758 views)
Shortcut
To paraphrase our friend Peckish Owl... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm really looking forward to the DVD so I can freeze scenes like at the river edge and just stare in wonder for a few more minutes (and then remember to breathe, LOL).

"And a dripping wet Thorin angrily climbs out of the river, accompanied by the sighs of thousands."Wink

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2014, 8:41pm

Post #82 of 251 (752 views)
Shortcut
ah, now that you mention that scene with Thorin drawing his sword on Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

" And (2) the slightly masochistic side of me thinks the scene where he pulled the sword on Bilbo was SO SEXY! That smouldering glare was hotter than Smaug - and that's saying alot!"

I know that was supposed to be a moment when Thorin was shown in a negative light, with his threatening Bilbo, but....I gotta agree with you. Whenever I saw that scene, I could only think, "Whoa, doesn't Thorin look....manly!" Reminds me of the same sense of imposing, charismatic manliness that we saw in the clip of him in silouette after the battle of Anazulbizar in AUJ. I realize we were supposed to be sympathizing with Bilbo at that moment with the sword, but still.....it's hard not to admire Thorin when he gets his feathers up.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Heir of Durin
The Shire

Jan 24 2014, 9:36pm

Post #83 of 251 (730 views)
Shortcut
Caressing the Wall [In reply to] Can't Post

All of his moments got me! I think the most touching moment was when he entered Erebor and utter those words and touched the stone he had missed for so many, many years. It showed his soft side.

I also liked his expression when he was holding the key after Bilbo found the keyhole.

And another one was when he stood before the people of Laketown and promised riches beyond their dreams. It was a very Kingly moment for him.

Of course his showdown with Thrandy was great.

Everything that everyone has mentioned above about sums it up! Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 9:53pm

Post #84 of 251 (690 views)
Shortcut
Already know one. [In reply to] Can't Post

A little second-grader at the school where I work. It feels a bit strange saying "Oh, Thorin, you didn't leave your Library books at home again, did you?" and then having to put a couple "on hold" for him.

Yep. I get Thorin's "holds".

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 10:05pm

Post #85 of 251 (703 views)
Shortcut
Are you referring to [In reply to] Can't Post

the third one down on this page: http://lestoilesheroiques.fr/..._medium=feed&utm ?

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2014, 10:05pm

Post #86 of 251 (714 views)
Shortcut
Yes. And no, that Speedo will live on. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

His tremendous and nuanced range is particularly apparent when he's wearing black leather pants.

And don't forget the Speedos...

When we are aged and sitting in the sun, we may not remember each others name but we can say, "That Speedo..." and we will both smile.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 24 2014, 10:09pm

Post #87 of 251 (687 views)
Shortcut
French Thorin poster [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! That's the one! Thanks for finding it.I think he looks particularly kingly in it. TongueCool

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 10:31pm

Post #88 of 251 (703 views)
Shortcut
Well clearly [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to go back and carefully watch all of Thorin's scenes so I can correctly categorize all the shades of blue. Will get on it.

The calendar is ok, it's AUJ as I couldn't find a DOS daily calendar (not sure if they exist yet?). I actually haven't flipped through the whole thing as I wanted each day to be a surprise, although I did flip through to find the first Thorin image, which wasn't until Jan 20. It was a good one (the same shot/pose as the standee), but I have to admit I prefer straightforward photos, and some of these are drawings or enhanced with extra background/borders etc. Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/...hobbit+calendar+2014

Update: ok, I just did a quick flip through since I couldn't resist and there are several nice Thorin shots, but not a lot, so if you're looking for a more Thorin focused calendar, this might not be the one for you. My collage might end up being kind of small. Tongue

Kim
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 10:48pm

Post #89 of 251 (661 views)
Shortcut
I do have [In reply to] Can't Post

the Thorin Lego piece on my tv stand, and the Thorin Funko Pop doll on my coffee table, looking at me while I sit on the couch. Smile

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 24 2014, 11:44pm

Post #90 of 251 (648 views)
Shortcut
I'm doing the same thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess this is the place to confess that I got the 2014 page-a-day calendar and I'm saving the Thorin pages with the intent to make a collage later. Blush

though I'm not sure if I'll make a collage out of them yet. It's a lot easier to save the pictures from this calendar (since the pictures are smaller) than wreck your wall calendar (especially if the picture is spread over two pages). I haven't made a collage in a while, so it may take me a while if I do decide to do this. I'll do the same next year if DoS has a page-a-day calendar.Wink

And to put in my two cents, Thorin is always swoon worthy, especially when he's angry. Sure, I feel a little bad for Bilbo (but not for Thranduil, since I never cared for him much) during the scene when Thorin draws his sword on him, but I'm more on Thorin's side than Bilbo's (our little burglar friend is fourth on my favorite character list, after Thorin, Balin and Bofur).

I love that picture you posted, Kim (I was using it for my avatar a while back, and I'm still using it as my cover photo on Facebook), but I was expecting that scene to be at the end of DoS, not on the way to the Lonely Mountain. Probably because I thought the outfit was part of the armor that Thorin and the dwarves have after they emerge from Erebor in preparation for the Battle of Five Armies in the upcoming TABA (I am not looking forward to that part).Frown

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 12:02am

Post #91 of 251 (655 views)
Shortcut
ah, not just me ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I started saving the pages in the cover box and started to think about what I wanted to do with them, and when I got to the first Thorin one, that's when I got the idea of a collage. I haven't done one in years, so we'll see what I come up with.

Agreed, Thorin is always swoon worthy. And yes, he looks absolutely fantastic in that scene. I have a feeling we're going to see more of that in TABA, which will be an interesting contrast - dark beauty as he descends into darkness.

That's funny, when I was debating which photo to post, I was deliberating between that one and the one you're using as your avatar. Wink I had figured the one on the boat would be as they were crossing the lake to Erebor, and I am anticipating something much more golden/shiny/elaborate when the dwarves emerge from the mountain before the BO5A (based on comments from RA, I think we ain't seen nothin' yet!). At which point, I will close my eyes and pretend the movie ends there. Crazy

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 12:55am

Post #92 of 251 (632 views)
Shortcut
"I've gone to the dwarf side" [In reply to] Can't Post

We need THAT on a t-shirt! Cool

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 25 2014, 1:24am

Post #93 of 251 (659 views)
Shortcut
This thread has taught me one thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have: Blush

Thorin's Thralls: Kim, Roheryn, legolin12, Queen of Erebor, TwirlingThorin, kildoescartwheels, Heir of Durin, (anyone else)?

And:
Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron,(anyone else)?

Two clubs worthy of our loyal membership.

What about Bombur's Babes? And maybe there are some Smaug Smittens? Legolas' Lasses?

(Clearly, I need wine.)

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 25 2014, 1:27am)

Barbarb
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 1:35am

Post #94 of 251 (658 views)
Shortcut
The key [In reply to] Can't Post

I love posts like this! When he reaches down to pick up the key he just has the most wonderful expression of longing on his face. I must admit it wasn't until this scene that I considered Thorin attractive. (I'm more of a Thranduil girl Wink) It's just a lovely shot of him.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2014, 3:05am

Post #95 of 251 (602 views)
Shortcut
Working on it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 3:08am

Post #96 of 251 (621 views)
Shortcut
Gotta love screen shots and thanks for the calender link! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaawww! That so nice of you to flip ahead - w. calenders I'd want to be surprised too. Sigh - there's probably not a Thorin or dwarf focused calender, but I wish they had put PR stuff out by group - elves, dwarves, Bilbo, wizards, etc.
So far the best for me has been the German one. Thank you for the link and looking. And simple collages can be the best, too, a few good images say so much.

I've resorted to screen shots in desperation, but it's a lot of work at times - tho the Heirs of Durin site has been a much-appreciated gold mine (no pun intended).

But for fun, here's one of my (slightly modified) screen shots:

PS. This thread FINALLY got me to learn how to post an image. For Thorin. Because he's worth it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 3:14am

Post #97 of 251 (607 views)
Shortcut
(*applause*) Avandel that's simply hilarious. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Kim
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 3:38am

Post #98 of 251 (601 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin seems to be the motivating factor for lots of us to learn how to post photos here. The results are definitely well worth the effort.

Something about your screenshot below makes me think Dwalin is reading Thorin a bedtime story while Thorin drinks his warm milk. I think he needs someone to tuck him in. Evil

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 25 2014, 4:12am

Post #99 of 251 (589 views)
Shortcut
Been lurking... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on this thread. Thorin's my favorite. Heart In DoS my favorite Thorin moments are the confrontation with Thranduil (who is perfect, just less to my taste...), and the scene where the Company finds the dead Dwarves.

Though I think Bard deserves mention in a discussion of this sort. For me the writing for this character and Evans' performance were the biggest pleasant surprise of the film. (Not to say Smaug and Thranduil weren't great - but I *expected* that coming in. Bard in he book never interested me).

Yes, you do need wine. Dorwinion red, say, and someone to drink it with...Thranduil, perhaps?Wink

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jan 25 2014, 4:20am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 4:14am

Post #100 of 251 (586 views)
Shortcut
oh yes..... [In reply to] Can't Post

"And a dripping wet Thorin angrily climbs out of the river, accompanied by the sighs of thousands."Wink

Accompanied by the snapping *pops* and burnt rubber smell of electronic components around the world as they are overloaded with the megawattage of incandescent MAJESTY. Of course, electronic meltdown wasn't an issue with heavy duty theater systems, designed to handle all comers with multiple viewings - but the average home entertainment system was never designed for the combined surge of Thorin and Thranduil....plus Kili and Fili, Legolas and Bard? Probably good idea to have some extinguishers on hand....maybe talk to the fire department ahead of time, be kind of tough to explain tho. Perhaps we could point out that the New Zealand stamps actually have to be held in special cold rooms and only men over the age of 78 are allowed to handle more than four of the Thorin stamps at any one time.

This is really trueEvil.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.