Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Throws Open Door!* It's FIESTA FRIDAY!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 97 (301 views)
Shortcut
"Throws Open Door!* It's FIESTA FRIDAY!! Can't Post

I'll be your bottle-tipping hostess today whilst our brilliant Altaira is tending to RL distractions :)

MOST of the U.S. is in the grips of COLD COLD COLD! So I've got a vat of hot chocolate here and some cookies to help us through this challenging Friday.

How has your week been, and do you have plans for the weekend? DO TELL whilst I serve you up your favourite!

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 24 2014, 5:04pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 5:15pm

Post #2 of 97 (201 views)
Shortcut
*dips mug into vat of hot chocolate* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we survived the ICE STORM OF 2014 here in Central Texas Ithilien.

Tomorrow The Little Goblin has a basketball game then we are headed off to South Texas to help celebrate the 90th birthday of my father's cousin. He's an old farmer that never left the farm. His family (and mine for that matter) were part of that group of Polish immigrants that came over with their priest to start a new settlement in Texas. His first language is Polish and he only finished the sixth grade in school, but much of what he knows is self-taught. I like talking to him. Should be a nice little get-together.

Bundle up, everyone and have a nice weekend!

*tries to stuff tip jar with home made hummingbird cake; thinks the better of it; slides a plate over to gramma* Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 5:18pm

Post #3 of 97 (191 views)
Shortcut
Now that sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

My uncle was the same way on the family farm in central Ohio. Your cousin sounds like someone I could listen to all day! They're as deep and rich as the soil they've lived with all their lives!
I hope you have a wonderful time :) And good for you to make sure the kids know him, too!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 97 (200 views)
Shortcut
Hey, gramma! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa, those cookies look great! :D *grabs several*

Thankfully it's not as unbelievably frigid now as it was a few weeks ago, but yeah, it's still pretty cold, LOL. :P :)

Speaking of hot chocolate, I'll have a Winter Usual, please. :) Thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, gramma! *hugs*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 5:23pm

Post #5 of 97 (187 views)
Shortcut
One Miruvor and hot chocolate coming right up! [In reply to] Can't Post

HOW YA DOIN', EVEY!!! :D I hope you have an INCREDIBLE weekend!!! :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 97 (198 views)
Shortcut
*brings in large mug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's that hot chocolate? And I'll even snag some cookies to dip in it! Smile

It hasn't gotten too far below 0 F here at night, fortunately. Ever notice how squeaky the snow is, when you walk on it when it's this cold?

It's a good weekend to stay indoors and do some cleaning, and make some hot dishes...hm, there's an apple-cinnamon warm coffee cake which I haven't made in a long time, I need to get that recipe out. My eldest has never seen "How to Train your Dragon", so that's our latest Netflix DVD!

How are your furry friends holding up in this cold, gramma?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Post #7 of 97 (187 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm good. :) Hope you are, too!

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Post #8 of 97 (203 views)
Shortcut
Cookies: my life for the next six weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

Girl Scout cookies, that is. We deliver them to the troops tomorrow and the sale starts Sunday. I keep reminding myself of how much I love working with the girls as they grow, learn, and make their plans happen. It makes up for the insanity of cookie time - barely.

Thankfully, it's not as cold here in Colorado, though we had a bit of snow yesterday. And the weather this weekend will be downright balmy, before the next round of cold weather gets here on Monday. This is the closest to real winter we've had in years!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 5:34pm

Post #9 of 97 (189 views)
Shortcut
Hummingbird cake? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that is a most intriguing title - what all goes into it?

Stay safe on your trip south, it looks like there's some bad weather down that way right now! Unsure

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 97 (186 views)
Shortcut
Miruvor and hot chocolate go well [In reply to] Can't Post

with episodes of Sherlock...don't you think? Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 5:37pm

Post #11 of 97 (188 views)
Shortcut
We've already [In reply to] Can't Post

placed our order of GS cookie boxes to last us for a few months! Laugh Hubby's students love it that he's such a big supporter of the cause.

I'm glad to see those berry cookies again. Those are delicious, and great with coffee!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 5:38pm

Post #12 of 97 (191 views)
Shortcut
Hey dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Squeaky Snow!! YES! I love it when it squeaks and crunches. I've also noticed when it's that cold, there's not so much snow. When it warms up... it snows like a mother!

My outdoor kitties (2 + one stray) are all laying in a cozy little spot in the garage under a heat lamp and on a heating tray 2ft x 3ft) for animals and blankets all around with a heated water bowl right there. Those critters are fine :) The indoor cats don't ever go out, and Puddifoot (my dog) does VERY FAST TRIPS out to the yard :)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, m'dear... and save me a piece of that cake!

Oh... did I mention FeBea (Fell Beast) my black kitty looks A LOT like Toothless... only with teeth and long fur ;)

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 5:42pm

Post #13 of 97 (188 views)
Shortcut
Ymmm... Girl Scout Cookies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished a box a bought about 3 weeks ago of the lemon powdery ones. *slaver, slurp* Cripes I love the GS Cookies!

I'm glad you're winter isn't horrible :) The precipitation from the snow will really help come summertime. Same here. We normally don't ever worry about forest fires (Michigan as LOTS of forests), but it's been bad the past few years and the Great Lakes have been way too low!

Have a great weekend, m'dear... and enjoy the cookie crop!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 5:43pm

Post #14 of 97 (185 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes they do!! ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus, season 3 is my favorite one of the series so far, no less! :D

Hope you have a great weekend, dernwyn! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2014, 5:44pm

Post #15 of 97 (191 views)
Shortcut
Aww! [In reply to] Can't Post

Toothless is so adorable! (Did you catch him in the "How the Desolation of Smaug Should have Ended" video?)

Poor Puddi, it must be so uncomfortable for dogs out there!

I'd save you a piece, gramma, but I think it best to make a whole cake fresh for you, if you ever come by this way! Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 5:55pm

Post #16 of 97 (209 views)
Shortcut
Basil seed and gin cocktail please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Been doing storm water inspections all week of a nearby airport renovation. Gad, it's a cold work site! Working inside on paperwork today. Office is cold. Microwave popcorn for lunch. Cold is making the arthritis in my hands pretty bad. I always wondered why Mom rubbed her hands all the time during cold weather. Now I know.

Plan on finishing watching the first season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries with Wifey this weekend. Wfey and I love the 1920s. We're suitably impressed by Phryne, the *totally* liberated lady detective. The supporting characters are great too. Australia is beautiful.

I plan on watching the Noir series again. Watched it episode by episode before. Now I'll re-watch it all in one go to pick up all the clues.

Might go down to Angelika Dallas to catch The Invisible Woman, The Great Beauty, and a midnight showing of The Dark Crystal.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 6:02pm

Post #17 of 97 (197 views)
Shortcut
Hey Darkstone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that sounds like a great weekend lineup! Seeing the Dark Crystal at the theatre would be GREAT!

You've been working outside? Oh man... that's just not right in this weather. BE CAREFUL! I know you don't need me to say that... but it's a bad tick I have. At least I didn't shake my finger at you ;)

Have a wonderful time this weekend!!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 6:02pm

Post #18 of 97 (180 views)
Shortcut
*PUTS OUT SELF-SERVE SIGN* Have a great weekend, everyone... and STAY SAFE! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 24 2014, 6:04pm

Post #19 of 97 (187 views)
Shortcut
Hiya gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you've been doing well as of late. SmileSmile Hope you have a great weekend!!

*takes a cookie...or three*Cool

Well, I think I'm finally going to be able to see DOS for the fourth time this weekend. I haven't seen it since before the holidays, so I'm really eager to see it again.

Other than that, just trying to stay warm and get as much accomplished as I can. (Side note: *remembers that I've forgotten to post in the UT discussion in the RR for awhile* Gah!)

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Edit: Darkstone's post reminded me that The Invisible Woman is in select theaters. I'd really like to see that soon, before it disappears.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 24 2014, 6:06pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 6:05pm

Post #20 of 97 (181 views)
Shortcut
Cookie time! [In reply to] Can't Post

My troop only has 8 girls at the moment but we do a brisk business in cookies. We're saving for a trip-to-be-planned-later. As a Junior Girl Scout Troop Leader, I want to thank you for taking on that massive job. We love our cookie family (Mom *and* Dad)!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 97 (186 views)
Shortcut
Nah, bad weather is over. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tomorrow will be in the sixties, and Sunday is supposed to hit 76*. There is the drip-drip-drip of ice melting right now as I type. We never have a proper "winter". We just get the occasional arctic blast. Next week another one is coming, but it is supposed to be dry. So no more ice, hopefully. But the weekend will be good.

Hummingbird cake is what I make when we have squishy bananas that no one wants. We're not overly fond of banana bread, so I went looking for something else. I've always been a fan of hummingbird cake, but I never realized it has bananas in it. I don't know why it is called hummingbird cake, though. Maybe because it's pretty sweet. It's pretty similar to Italian cream cake, too. Here's the recipe I use.

2 cups flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup veg. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can crushed pineapples (the recipe doesn't say what size of can, but I use a big one. Not the little "half cans" you can get at the store.)
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped pecans

Frosting:
2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans
2 lbs. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*.
Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. (I cut out a round piece of parchment paper and put it on the bottoms of the cake pans--the cake comes out a lot easier.)
Combine dry ingredients. Stir in eggs and oil. Do not beat. Stir in vanilla, pineapple with juice, bananas and pecans. Pour into prepared cake pans.
Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool ten minutes in pan. Run a knife along the edge of cakes to loosen and turn onto cooling racks. (You'll be thankful for the parchment paper now.) Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: Cream the cheese and butter together; add powdered sugar. Beat until fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Frost the cake. Sprinkle with pecans.

I have to omit the pecans for some picky kids. But it doesn't take away from the cake. Also, the first time I made this, I thinned the icing with milk a little. Not good. It gets too soft and wants to ooze off the cake.

Hope you get to try it!

Smile

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 6:08pm

Post #22 of 97 (181 views)
Shortcut
No, I haven't.. and psst [In reply to] Can't Post

I changed my bio pic ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 6:11pm

Post #23 of 97 (187 views)
Shortcut
Oh, goodness, we've already bought two batches of the darn things! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a niece who is a Brownie, and a few of our fellow boy scouts have girl scout-sisters. So we are hit on all sides!
I'm not a fan of the lemon ones. They went and tampered with a good one. I really liked the lemon-frosted ones from last year, but some genius decided a change was necessary and now we've got something like a Mexican wedding cookie with a lemony coating. And it's not a subtle lemony coating, it's a LEMONY COATING! Crazy Well, that means I'll just have to order more Tag-alongs. Laugh

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 24 2014, 6:14pm

Post #24 of 97 (181 views)
Shortcut
Ooo, sandwiches! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

Well, watching guys dig ditches in freezing weather is a lot better than when I used to have to dig them myself! (Thank goodness I went and got a college degree so I no longer have to *work* for a living!)

You stay warm too. Don't go standing in any long lines for midnght showings of PJ's films.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 6:20pm

Post #25 of 97 (188 views)
Shortcut
Shoot - Self Serve already... [In reply to] Can't Post

Any hot chocolate left? With a wee dram of something good (Baileys perhaps) to keep away the chill.

We're cleaning up the last of Christmas and I"m getting caught up on laundry. Can't stand laundry so I plan to do a AUJ EE + Appendices binge while I finish it all. (Yes, I have a lot of laundry)

Has everyone voted for TORn in the Shorty Awards via Twitter? It's up for Best Fansite! Vote here! We've not only got the best site, we're more apropos with all our "short" dwarfs and "short" hobbits! Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.