Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right, ladies.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 9:16pm

Post #1 of 251 (4093 views)
Shortcut
All right, ladies. Can't Post

(And gents, if you feel inclined.)

Thorin. And his hair. Need I say more?

He stole our hearts with his majestic entrance into Bag End in AUJ (who knew "Gandalf!" could sound so sexy?). We loved him for his quiet chat with Balin in Bag End, for his regal singing of "Misty Mountains", for his majestic hair-toss atop his pony, for his smile when saved from the trolls, for his bravery in fighting Azog in Azanulbizar, for his sass to Lord Elrond, for...well, you know of what I speak.

But now, when does he steal your heart in DOS? Is it when he's nearly overcome with emotion at entering Erebor? Or when he so courageously faces down Smaug? Or when he holds Bilbo at swordpoint? Or goes nose-to-nose with Thranduil? Or somewhere else? And why?

C'mon, it's time for a bit of Thorin-swooning. There's been a decided dearth of such lately!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 9:30pm

Post #2 of 251 (2101 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's easy! [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thorin first appears when they're on the run from Azog to the final shot of him in Erebor's Hall of Kings facing down Smaug.

Yeah, that part there's my favorite!!!

Wink

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 23 2014, 9:52pm

Post #3 of 251 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Several places [In reply to] Can't Post

but especially his distress when they cannot find the keyhole/secret door and then the rapid change of emotion as he enters Erebor.

Funniest Thorin moment? Him running around under Smaug with that wheelbarrow!! It's so Monty Python, cracks me up each time!Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 23 2014, 9:52pm

Post #4 of 251 (2065 views)
Shortcut
a few notable spots for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly towards the end:

-- at the Hidden Door: "let those who doubted us, rue this day!" I am also distracted here by his smile (so rare)Heart

-- when he calls Smaug "slug" -- I am distracted here by his gleaming white teeth also.

-- atop the golden statue, hanging by the chain. This allows his hair to swing in a lovely way around him as the chain sways.

I am not surprised that RA missed the hair though long hair can be a bit annoying on a daily basis. I cannot function without my hair being tied back! I don't know how all these ME characters (male and female) manage it. Tauriel's hair really should be in a bun!

But it wouldn't be any fun for us if Thorin had all his hair tied back, would it?

Bernhardina
Rohan

Jan 23 2014, 10:17pm

Post #5 of 251 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Stole my heart [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush I did not fully realize it until you said it. Completely stole my heart while facing down Benedi... ehum, Smaug! Hanging on to that chain, looking at the lake of melted gold... Totally broke my heart earlier though, when he held Bilbo at sword-point (is that even a word?) but yeah, after Smaug fell into that burning lake and actually became golden Thorin was forgiven Angelic I just love RAs deep and majestic voice, even though he is (as Thorin) not the most good looking hero of Middle Earth (no, I don't imply Thorin is ugly, he is just not as handsome as Aragorn, Thranduil, Legolas, Boromir, Bard...) but it does not matter. Thorin is still one of my favourite character in all the movies, because of other things!

Thanks for the (unusal) thread where I can fangirl a bit without feeling ridiculous. Heart

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Jan 23 2014, 10:20pm)

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 23 2014, 10:26pm

Post #6 of 251 (1929 views)
Shortcut
*squeal* [In reply to] Can't Post

My FAVOURITE topic!!!!
Thorin...Evil
Ok...let me be serious now...
*ahem* I used to dislike Thorin (please don't judge me...I didn't care about handsome dwarves at that point!)
Then...I grew up Tongue and now I squeal at pictures of Thorin...and I'm completely obsessed.
Oh yes, and that '"Gandalf"' in AUJ, I always have to suppress a squeal Smile
In DoS, the entire '"I will not die like this"' scene, I was nearly sobbing in the theater.
To sum it up...(I can do so in one word!)
THORIN!!!

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 10:36pm

Post #7 of 251 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Swoons-A-Plenty [In reply to] Can't Post

I think nothing will quite equal his grand entrance into Bag End, just because 1) it was so unexpected and 2) seeing him was a total Take-Your-Breath-Away-And-Leave-You-Speechless moment. However, in DOS here are my prime Thorin moments:

1) His epic face-off with Thranduil - I've been waiting for this with such high anticipation. He didn't disappoint. Loved how he finished by spewing Dwarvish at him!
2) His moment on the doorstep when he thought he'd lost the light and his only chance to enter Erebor - Such a touching scene with Thorin showing another side of himself. He is almost childlike in his disappointment, with his wavering voice and almost tearful delivery of, "That's what is says".
3) His entrance into Erebor - Just perfect. Such an emotional and moving scene as he says, "I know these walls. These halls" and he touches the stone so lovingly.
4) The Western Guard Room - We see first his devastation at seeing what's left of his kin, his disappointment that there wasn't a way out after all, then segueing to his gathering courage and utter determination not to die without a fight, leading to his beautifully spoken statement, "If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together', which for me is the heart of the entire film.
5) His taunting of Smaug - the name-calling followed by him turning to his companions and saying, "Take cover!" with that little smile.
6) His stand-off with Smaug. Whoddathunk that one so small in stature compared to the dragon would have the courage, the audacity, the sheer craziness to stand up to the creature? He looks so proud in that moment when he declares he will take back what Smaug stole, ready to go down fighting.
7) His moment with Kili at the boat - When he tells Kili to stay behind until he's healed, putting his hand on Kili's shoulder and that smile again, showed not only that he was thinking about what was best for the success of their quest, but also what was best for Kili's survival because he cared.
8) I like seeing how, with Gandalf's absence, Thorin is a take-charge kind of guy and didn't hesitate with his decisions.

Soooo....Um, I'm sure there were other scenes I've missed, but these were the ones I remember as particularly Thorinesque for me.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 23 2014, 10:43pm)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 23 2014, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 251 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Not for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am not surprised that RA missed the hair though long hair can be a bit annoying on a daily basis.

since I'm more annoyed with my hair when it's short. Never doing that again! I would look like a guy with RA's actual style, so I'll stick with Thorin's length (though mine's a tad shorter) and style, thank you very much. I used to wear my hair back all the time, but now that I'm in my 40's my neck musles can't take the strain anymore, so I just wear it down. If I only knew where to put the two side braids, I'd probably wear my hair exactly like Thorin's.Wink

Back on topic, the scenes where Thorin really stole my heart in DoS include the On the Doorstep scene. That scene where he almost loses hope is so touching. I almost cry during that scene. Why is it always a hobbit that figures out these riddles, and always a Baggins at that?

I love the confrontation with Thranduil. Just before Thorin starts accusing Thranduil I always think to myself: "Now you're going to get it!" I'm of course referring to Thranduil, since he's too cold and arrogant for my tastes, even for a king. I mean what Elven King has dungeons? Honestly! I love the look on Thorin's face when he tells Balin what he told Thranduil in dwarvish (that scene still cracks me up after five viewings)!

And the way he insults Smaug into tricking him into lighting the furnaces is brilliant (though I still can't make out what he says just before this happens)!

And who can forget this line: "If this is to end in fire, then let us all burn together!" I love that line! I'm glad they put it in the end credits song, I See Fire (I always put this track on repeat a few times, much like I do with the Song of the Lonely Mountain from AUJ).

I'll post some more later, since when you get me started on a favorite character, this could very easily turn into a novel.Wink

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Jan 23 2014, 10:46pm)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 10:39pm

Post #9 of 251 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Ah, it's simply a matter of taste (and perhaps of age) [In reply to] Can't Post

"even though he is (as Thorin) not the most good looking hero of Middle Earth (no, I don't imply Thorin is ugly, he is just not as handsome as Aragorn, Thranduil, Legolas, Boromir, Bard...)"

To me, he's handsomer (is that a word or did I just make that up?) than all of those you mention combined!!Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 23 2014, 10:52pm

Post #10 of 251 (1948 views)
Shortcut
More handsome is the correct term... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"even though he is (as Thorin) not the most good looking hero of Middle Earth (no, I don't imply Thorin is ugly, he is just not as handsome as Aragorn, Thranduil, Legolas, Boromir, Bard...)"

To me, he's handsomer (is that a word or did I just make that up?) than all of those you mention combined!!Tongue

since handsomer is not a word. I would choose Thorin over any of these mentioned especially Thranduil, since he's too cold and arrogant for my tastes, even for a king (sorry to repeat myself, but I'm just saying). And Legolin here is the new Thorin fan I mentioned in another post a while back (don't worry, Legolin, I didn't say anything bad). She has a hard time deciding between Thorin and Kili (it's always been Thorin for me. Kili's cool too, but he's a little too young for my tastes).Wink

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 10:53pm

Post #11 of 251 (1908 views)
Shortcut
what a wonderful topic [In reply to] Can't Post

and I froze in shameless wonder so often in DOS at:

1) Bree;
2) "What was that?" The way that marvelous voice breathes that out, and the way the magnificent inky mane curtains his face, and the haunted look;
3) Thorin/Thranduil. Geez, I love that scene - I'm going to have to buy extra DVDs because I'm pretty sure I'm going to wear that section out replaying it. The Thorin close-up and the way his eyes darken framed by the mane of hair, and the fury when he turns around and the blazing eyes and the VOICE, and the way he spits out "but you turned your back". Did I say I love that scene? (And of course it doesn't hurt that the gorgeous, silky-voiced Thranduil is right there....) Oh, why, couldn't they have had a few more lines? But it's maddening when the camera turns to Thranduil, I wish we could watch them both simultaneously.
4) When the dwarves leave the river - gives a new meaning to god-king *sigh - smouldering eyes*
5) Looking out of the window at Bard's - impossible blue eyes;
6) At the doorway to Erebor, pretty much the whole scene
7) May the Valar forgive me, the primitive part of my brain redlines when the sword is held to Bilbo. Just shameful of me, and poor Bilbo, but still....
8) Pretty much the whole ending.....

OK, that's looks/voice alone.....but Thorin's character and performance shredded my heart in AUJ - so for DOS, more stabs to the heart came from Bree (there's so much barely-dare-to-hope for a chance in that scene, so much going on with Thorin there...), Thorin/Thranduil and the emotion "and the inferno that destroyed us"; the look Thorin gives Bilbo when Bilbo comes with the keys; the Laketown speech and the looks with Bard; Thorin's behavior with Fili and Kili at Laketown (the look and the hand on Kili especially); ALL of the entry to Erebor from the plains to "Master Baggins"; holding a sword to Bilbo.

The scene with the dwarf bodies just shreds me some more, and the way Thorin swallows hard looking, and quietly says "No, I will not die like this. Cowering....clawing for breath....and "if this is to end in fire...". The way he says "some of us might" [make it] is just so poignant for me.

Then telling Bilbo to follow Balin and pitching himself over into a pit - and won my (shredded) heart some more, along with taunting Smaug. I love the fire Thorin has (no pun intended).

So I've been watching the Appendices again, and in the dwarf section Peter Hambleton talks about RA being "genius casting", that when you watch RA you can see "he's bringing the goods". Well, these are all terrific actors re the Hobbit dwarves, experienced. But I still would echo the Popcorn Taxi interviewer when he was interviewing RA, saying RA had done something extraordinary. And IMO, RA has. I'm not even sure I have the right words, but when I first thought of this character (not being familiar with the ability of the actor, or RA at all) I pictured something pretty much like Theoden - tough, hardened, but caring. RA's Thorin is all that, but there's something remarkable about Thorin - he's just so rich and multi-layered, charismatic and complex, flawed and the more beautiful for it, like some rare jewel. Thorin BURNS, and that's interesting because RA had described Thorin as having a flame that was guttering, and here in the Hobbit it's being fanned, and all that comes across on screen.

Watching the Appendices and how Thorin's stunning look evolved is interesting, because it dovetails with what RA was saying about the whole team that was involved with Thorin. But. I've no doubt RA would have done a stunning job with a ton of silicon on his face, but for real, they did the right thing stripping him down so we could see Thorin's face. It would have been criminal IMO to hide all the nuances RA brings to this character under a heavy layer of prosthetics and makeup - and let's face it, the end result IS something that draws the eye, even in silence. He's magnificent. (I don't even think PJ & co. really understood what they had cast (how can you tell until the cameras roll?) but I think they figured it out pretty quickly....)

I've got no idea how the *bleep* I am going to get through TABA. Except I felt a tiny, tiny bit better thanks to some posters on this board talking about how the heirs are dressed for the last battle, and talking about the fierce Nordic influences. It sounds like another utterly hopeless situation that Thorin will take head-on. And he wouldn't be Thorin, no matter what happens, if he didn't do that.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 23 2014, 11:07pm

Post #12 of 251 (1962 views)
Shortcut
You can have Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take the other King---Thranduil! Heart

Although I do love Armitage and think he did a fantastic job in the role. He was perfectly cast.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 11:14pm

Post #13 of 251 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Thorin in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

First answer that comes to mind - All of the above! But the entire sequence of finding the door to Erebor and then going inside was really special, maybe the highlight of the whole film for me. And I could watch Thorin spar with Thranduil for much much longer than we were given in DOS, they had such a great dynamic together. And, of course, the scene in Bree just had so many lovely close-ups… All in all, it turns into a pretty long list Smile

(This post was edited by Elarie on Jan 23 2014, 11:17pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 11:18pm

Post #14 of 251 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Honestly? [In reply to] Can't Post

When he backed Bilbo during the wine barrells escapade. One pleading look from Bilbo and in an instant Thorin was on his side - loyalty for the win!

The other time was when Bilbo spotted the path up to the secret door - Thorin, for the first time, breaks into an entirely unrestrained smile. It suits him!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jan 23 2014, 11:21pm

Post #15 of 251 (1862 views)
Shortcut
All of the above! [In reply to] Can't Post

While Martin Freeman leads this cast, he would never have been as good if anyone (IMO) but Richard Armitage was his Thorin. Second viewing of the movie, I focused on any frame Thorin was in. It was amazing to watch! Not just the hair - which I admit is pretty spectacular - just the whole package! Just the way little things were expressed - not just the BIG emotions.

Faves -

1. When he tells off Thranduil, and subsequent scene with Balin! LOL

2. When he can't open the door, and just crumbles before our eyes.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 11:24pm

Post #16 of 251 (1929 views)
Shortcut
tastes! [In reply to] Can't Post

See, for me, I could readily say that everyone you named is definitely handsome (Thranduil being the most beautiful to me) but I've often thought that Thorin is the most beautiful "man"/character/*dwarf* I have EVER seen on screen. EVER. And there's lots of male beauty in the hobbit, including the wonderful Kili and Fili and Manu Bennett for that matter.

Course any interest in looks can get tamped down fast enough with a lackluster performance, not in this case. My big framed poster of the "blue" AUJ Empire cover is one of my most favorite possessions. Far as I am concerned there can never be too much Thorin, so if I ever met PJ the first thing I'd tell him is thank you for your exquisite, perfect casting instincts.

PS. Never mind feeling silly about fangirling - I like the line from The Color Purple myself, that God gets mad when you pass the color purple and don't notice. Yes, I'm sure all the females from 10? on up on this board all read and can talk highbrow intellectual - so when did that mean you weren't supposed to appreciate or feel beauty, when you see it? Or is it more cool to not notice? It's not like we're all flashing the actors (even Martin Freeman said Hobbit fans tended to be respectful compared to Sherlock fans.) I say, let's celebrate the joy of it (and give a Martin Freeman sign to anyone trying to damp the enthusiasm)! And it's not like men aren't noticing Thorin *cough* look at all the men dressed as him re cosplay, and the artwork.

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 23 2014, 11:36pm

Post #17 of 251 (1887 views)
Shortcut
"A Russian dwarf?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, your post brought back a really funny memory for me. When I first saw 'An Unexpected Journey,' and we meet Thorin, he turns and says "Gandalf" with what seemed like a very heavy Russian accent. While I was sitting there going WOW, Snow White got jipped, my wonderful husband leans over and whispers, "A Russian dwarf? What?" ;)

Thorin is so serious in Desolation, so I'm not sure where he stole my heart, but the look on his face when Smaug breaks free of the molten gold, I just died. He was so disappointed. That face, even with all the prosthetics is why Richard makes a perfect Thorin.

"Yar a wizard Peeta!" - Gandalf

(This post was edited by Ellanara on Jan 23 2014, 11:36pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 12:21am

Post #18 of 251 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Well, I agree there's been a dearth of Thorin swooning lately. [In reply to] Can't Post

My thoughts are that there's not nearly enough of him in DoS for a start. However, I think I like the line 'If this is to end in fire…' the most, followed by his reaction on entering Erebor and his interaction with Thranduil.

And for me, he is the most attractive male in the Middle-Earth films – I love his deep voice, and the way he uses his eyes to convey meaning, etc.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jan 24 2014, 12:27am)

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 24 2014, 12:56am

Post #19 of 251 (1822 views)
Shortcut
yep :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That's me, Legolin, the Thorin crazy person...Tongue
I think maybe I like Thorin a bit better than Kili (for obvious reasons Cool) though that decision is not final yet Wink
@Queen of Erebor, your username...I'm forever jealous! I'm glad you didn't say anything bad about me, lol Laugh

My hair is longer that Thorin's, but just as wavy, and my friend and I once went out in public with one of Thorin's hairstyles. It was really fun/funny
*NERD ALERT*Laugh
My heart will be shattered post-Bo5A!!!

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2014, 1:11am

Post #20 of 251 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Love what you say here Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

See, for me, I could readily say that everyone you named is definitely handsome (Thranduil being the most beautiful to me) but I've often thought that Thorin is the most beautiful "man"/character/*dwarf* I have EVER seen on screen. EVER. And there's lots of male beauty in the hobbit, including the wonderful Kili and Fili and Manu Bennett for that matter.

Course any interest in looks can get tamped down fast enough with a lackluster performance, not in this case. My big framed poster of the "blue" AUJ Empire cover is one of my most favorite possessions. Far as I am concerned there can never be too much Thorin, so if I ever met PJ the first thing I'd tell him is thank you for your exquisite, perfect casting instincts.

PS. Never mind feeling silly about fangirling - I like the line from The Color Purple myself, that God gets mad when you pass the color purple and don't notice. Yes, I'm sure all the females from 10? on up on this board all read and can talk highbrow intellectual - so when did that mean you weren't supposed to appreciate or feel beauty, when you see it? Or is it more cool to not notice? It's not like we're all flashing the actors (even Martin Freeman said Hobbit fans tended to be respectful compared to Sherlock fans.) I say, let's celebrate the joy of it (and give a Martin Freeman sign to anyone trying to damp the enthusiasm)! And it's not like men aren't noticing Thorin *cough* look at all the men dressed as him re cosplay, and the artwork.

Most marvelous way of bringing the intellect and the sensory into line. Because I have actually backed down quite significantly from any praise of the undeniable beauty of Thorin because I hate to detract or undermine the acting itself - subtle as opposed to very the outright physical attractiveness. So I love your pure appreciation!
My favorite DoS moments I think are both that warm, native smile with "....rue this day!" and everything he does in the Garden of the Fugitives (as I think of it, the W. Guard Room). Such a range of feeling, for the most part previously hidden; mid quest is no time to think with tears upon the dead but here he cannot escape it. It is like we watch him hit an impassable wall. Performances like his (and we can name so many others) do justice to the source material, even if it has been adapted.
Having seen him perform live last week, that range is such a pleasure to watch. Angelic

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 24 2014, 1:13am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 24 2014, 1:12am

Post #21 of 251 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Applause for you Ro. Great idea. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 1:12am

Post #22 of 251 (1860 views)
Shortcut
definitely a matter of age for me [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been many moments in both AUJ and DOS where I thought Thorin looked very majestic and even quite handsome (especially when he smiles), but I've never found him "swoon worthy" mostly because of age. It's not that I think he looks OLD old, but he does look more mature than some other characters and has grey streaks in his hair so he is too old for me to be all that attracted to him.

I feel the same about Boromir and Bard as well. Boromir is too old for me and Bard (although I know Luke Evans is in his 30's) looks too old for me.

I will admit that I have a bit of a double standard when it comes to Aragorn though. He's a definitely over my age limit for finding guys swoon-worthy, but his eyes get me every time!Blush

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 24 2014, 1:20am

Post #23 of 251 (1849 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost drooled during all the Thranduil scenes (Lee Pace is sooooo hot!Heart) and I have a pretty bad crush on Legolas too. There were a couple of scenes with Legolas that had subtitles and I swear, one time I was actually thinking, "Stop making me read when I'm trying to stare at his face!"Blush

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Esmeralda
Bree

Jan 24 2014, 1:21am

Post #24 of 251 (1835 views)
Shortcut
The Lord of Silver Fountains, The King of Carven Stone [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how much I can add to what's already been said about the great Thorin scenes in DOS - I agree with pretty much all of them. But I'll give it a shot :)

Walking into Bree, giving us such a good sense of his stocky build and emphatic stride - though it was certainly his scale-double MA on the street. (Was that RA or his scalie when we see his hooded face just outside the PP?)

Also in Bree, his decision to tell Gandalf that he's been looking for his father. That can't be an easy thing to speak of - that his father may be roaming the wilds as a madman. (How many times do we hear about the madness in Thorin's line? Seems like everyone brings it up…)

Thorin opening the latch at Beorn's house. I like to think he's the only one tall enough to reach, but surely someone could have popped it up with a dagger or something.

Thorin vs. Thranduil - Wow, yeah, this is one of the scenes I went back to the theater for. "You. Lack all. Honor!" [Chest thump]. It was so great to see Thorin finally uncorking that rage he's had bottled up for the past 100 years or so. And the dwarvish insults - he spits them out with such relish :)

I thought the Elvenking's dungeon would turn out to be Thorin's lowest point in this movie, but he seems to hold out hope that Bilbo will come through. I'm warmed by that faith. And when his burglar justifies that faith, he shows the depth of his belief in Bilbo when he commands everyone into the barrels without a trace of hesitation. "Well done, Master Baggins." Higher praise could not be uttered.

Thorin's axe throwing skills on display while riding in a heaving barrel. He pins that orc to a branch, and saves Legolas with a well-placed toss. I bet he always won first place in the axe-tossing event at the Dwarf Olympics - at least until it was banned after Bifur tried to catch one…

Thorin's face on the Durin tapestry. Want one.

Thorin blazing with charisma in Laketown as he whips the crowd up and onto his side. "I speak to the Master of Laketown! Will you share in the wealth of the mountain?" He really knows all the right buttons to push. Very different from the dwarf that Gandalf told to let him do the talking at Rivendell. I expect it's just elves that get Thorin in a froth. For humans he knows how to turn on the charm.

Durins tangle at the boat. Such personal moments which Thorin tries to frame as political and pragmatic. Think about the scene when Thorin opens the door. Now think about how Fili and Kili missed it. Heartbreaking. "I will not risk the success of this quest for…?" Anything, really. I think that's becoming pretty clear.

Thorin crossing the Delaware…er…Long Lake. Red cloak, billowing hair, set jaw. I rest my case :).

The whole door scene from finding the staircase to unveiling Bilbo's purpose. The absolute heart of this movie for me and the scene I watch with breathless intensity every time. There is so little wrong and so much right with this sequence, it's stunning - visually, emotionally, and performance-wise.

Thorin's profile framed against his Grandfather's stone face. (How often does he say he is not like his Grandfather? I keep hoping he'll prove himself right, but yeah...)

His gut-punch expression when he sees the long-forgotten gold of Erebor and his dazed intensity as he confronts Bilbo about the Arkenstone.

Stop Drop 'n' Roll Thorin. Watch and learn, kids, in case you ever find yourself on fire. I laugh every time he pops up like nothing happened. And good riddance to the ratty bath robe.

Confronted by the last of the Erebor dead - all of whom he must have known, and whom he was honor-bound, as their prince, to protect. It's interesting to me how he dismisses their manner of dying. It's as though he's disappointed that they gave up without a fight, which of course, spurs him on. "If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together!"

Directionally challenged Thorin. "Thorin! The forges are *this* way!" I can't believe he even gets lost in his own mountain. Oh, Thorin :)

I *love* his plan. So impressive, complex, and utterly fool-hardy. An incredible caper - It's like Thorin's Eleven.

Sneering at live dragons. As heart-stopping as it was, this must have been nearly as satisfying to Thorin as spitting in Thranduil's face. He really gets to give the Freeman Salute to everyone who deserves it in this movie.

Yeah, so many great scenes, and while they didn't all touch me as deeply as so many of the scenes in AUJ, there was a great deal of satisfaction watching Thorin truly come in to his own over the course of this film.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 24 2014, 1:34am

Post #25 of 251 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Almost? [In reply to] Can't Post

Come on, tell the truth. Tongue He is drool-worthy. What...a...performance. He was mesmerizing. I wish Jackson would compile all of the Thranduil footage and offer it on DVD. (The same goes for the rest. Give us all the deleted scenes and cutting room floor footage, please!)

Back to Thorin: What I loved about the Thorin and Thranduil scene was the contrast: Thorin is like this immovable earth to Thranduil's unpredictable fire or air. You have this mercurial King (Thranduil) facing off with the steadfast Thorin with neither backing down-- it's a sight to behold. They both exude this inner turmoil and pent up rage/emotion, as if they could explode at any moment. Love that.

In Reply To
I almost drooled during all the Thranduil scenes (Lee Pace is sooooo hot!Heart) and I have a pretty bad crush on Legolas too. There were a couple of scenes with Legolas that had subtitles and I swear, one time I was actually thinking, "Stop making me read when I'm trying to stare at his face!"Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.