Some editing required, perhaps?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 7:56pm

Post #1 of 107 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Some editing required, perhaps? Can't Post

Just wondering if some dear admin might like to consider editing this post. Not that I'm prudish, but this is a bit coarse for TORn, is it not? Cheers! Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22 2014, 8:27pm

Post #2 of 107 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Your link [In reply to] Can't Post

goes to just the top post in that thread. Is that the post you are questioning, or another one further down?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 22 2014, 9:55pm

Post #3 of 107 (1534 views)
Shortcut
I won't speak for Roheryn, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think post #6 in that thread may be pushing the limits of impropriety for this forum.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 10:31pm

Post #4 of 107 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me that link goes right to the post I meant (not the top post). Trying again without being fancy: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=706585#706585

It's the one by isaac, the 6th post down as I type this.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22 2014, 11:38pm

Post #5 of 107 (1538 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it goes outside our TOS [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding language. It's a bit crass but I don't think it goes far enough to be called offensive.

Thanks for asking the question though. :)

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 12:15am

Post #6 of 107 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cultural differences maybe. My boys would get a good scolding for saying that word, and where I come from it ranks right up there with all the popular four-letter words.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 1:38am

Post #7 of 107 (1509 views)
Shortcut
I was expecting it to be removed [In reply to] Can't Post

I was quite surprised to see that it stayed, as I always consider the language limits around here to be very strict (which can be awfully challenging for a seasoned swearer such as myself). Children at my school would not be allowed to use that word.

Anyway, maybe the poster is actually talking about Tauriel's donkey, and we simply misunderstood.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 1:59am

Post #8 of 107 (1495 views)
Shortcut
"Looking at Tauriel's a**..." [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't suppose that's code for Legolas, do you?

(All in jest. I love OrlandoHeart.)

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 23 2014, 2:00am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 2:04am

Post #9 of 107 (1483 views)
Shortcut
I'll put this to the other admins for their input. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 2:07am

Post #10 of 107 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Ok, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's less of a cultural thing then. The variations in what's considered inappropriate here in NZ sometimes catch me out, with my favourite one being the five-letter F-word that is perfectly innocuous in the US and is (in the US) a child-friendly word synonymous with that other word for donkey. I once was getting out of my care with two Kiwi guys and asked one of them to hand me my f****-pack (aka a bum-bag) and they both did the most amazing double-take. It wasn't until later I realized the impropriety of what I'd said!

Donkey. Clearly that's what isaac meant and I shall take it as such. I would love to see Thranduil in the Bo5A, at the head of his Elvish army, riding his magnificent Megaloceros, with his mounted cavalry behind him, all riding donkeys.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 2:14am

Post #11 of 107 (1499 views)
Shortcut
The trouble is, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish there was more swearing on this site, so I don't even know what I am doing in this conversation. I do love donkeys, though.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 2:16am

Post #12 of 107 (1494 views)
Shortcut
When I was doing my teacher training, [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a lovely woman in our group who hailed from the USA. We had to do a lot of coaching with her, as that 'f' word came out of her mouth a lot, and caused many hilarious moments!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 2:38am

Post #13 of 107 (1491 views)
Shortcut
We might have a donkey [In reply to] Can't Post

come live with us sometime soon. If so, you're welcome to come visit him.

And I just might have to name him "Legolas".

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 2:49am

Post #14 of 107 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Or name him [In reply to] Can't Post

"Legol-ass".

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 2:50am

Post #15 of 107 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

*5-character F-word edited out of post". Cool

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 23 2014, 2:56am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 2:59am

Post #16 of 107 (1480 views)
Shortcut
*snort* :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 3:01am

Post #17 of 107 (1482 views)
Shortcut
*whistles innocently* [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the feeling that certain folks would raise a ruckus, even seeing that used as a proper name! Which it is, here in the States, and is even in a very popular song. And I have difficulty referring to my f****-pack as a "bum pack".

So embarrassing...how to handle these things! Blush

But the "offending word" has now also been changed in the main complaint post.

*Sigh* The things we Admins have to deal with...Evil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 3:02am

Post #18 of 107 (1476 views)
Shortcut
My flatmate's Aunty [In reply to] Can't Post

was called Fanny Cocks.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 3:04am

Post #19 of 107 (1475 views)
Shortcut
And what about that guy [In reply to] Can't Post

who was something to do with cricket - Bob Cunis - who was commonly described as 'neither one nor the other'.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 3:18am

Post #20 of 107 (1462 views)
Shortcut
OK, that one flew right over my head. ?? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2014, 3:20am

Post #21 of 107 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine going through your entire life waiting for the inevitable reaction every time you say your name. Crazy

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 3:20am

Post #22 of 107 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Sort of a Victorian-flavored Bond Girl name // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My flatmate's Aunty was called Fanny Cocks.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 3:48am

Post #23 of 107 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Well, I knew this kid in grade school... [In reply to] Can't Post

We would make him cry just so we could shout this:

"He's Lee King, He's Lee King!!!"

We were such bad children...Evil

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 3:50am

Post #24 of 107 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

If I actually use the correct words to explain it, I shall be banned for life. Shocked
Erm...think of a highly offensive word for a part of the female anatomy, combined with the correct term for the male anatomy, and then you get the 'neither one nor the other' thing.

I only shared it with you because you are into cricket, honestly, not because I want you to be my swearing buddy. Angelic

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 3:51am

Post #25 of 107 (1453 views)
Shortcut
oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you had to say that.

Laugh

And of course there's the Jane Austen character Fanny Price... Is that how much Tauriel paid for her donkey?

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.