Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel's Fate?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jan 15 2014, 8:24pm

Post #26 of 43 (525 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope that isn't the case. I suppose she can help, i.e. distracting Smaug, but Smaug's takedown should be done by Bard.

glor
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 12:20am

Post #27 of 43 (493 views)
Shortcut
One solution.. [In reply to] Can't Post

is that Tauriel ends up surviving BOFA and eventually guarding another prisoner and letting him go....Gollum..
or at least allude to it if PJ doesn't have the rights..

(This post was edited by glor on Jan 16 2014, 12:22am)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 2:10am

Post #28 of 43 (484 views)
Shortcut
Personally.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Along with the thoughts in my initial post, I don't want Tauriel's fate or actions to further impact any of the canon character story arcs or character development. I don't want her fate or story arc to have any bearing on Thranduil's decisions or actions, or to alter Kili's actions or fate in any way at the Bo5A. I also don't want her fate or story arc to have any bearing on what Legolas does at the Bo5A or how he feels about dwarves in the future.

In short: I don't want Tauriel to have any significant role in the Bo5A or the aftermath--she shouldn't influence the participation of any canon characters and her fate/story arc resolution should take a distant back seat to that of Thorin, Fili, Kili, Bilbo, Thranduil, Bard, Dain, the other dwarves, etc.

Thranduil's reason for marching on Erebor is established in the book. I'd much rather they didn't rely on a non-canon character's fate or story arc to explain his involvement, or anyone else's for that matter. Unsure

This illustrates what is perhaps my biggest issue with the character: "The Tauriel Effect" on the original source material and other characters. I mean, Legolas spent the entire movie reacting to Tauriel's story arc when he could have been an intriguing character had they shown more of the father/son dynamic instead of focusing on the rebellious-young-elf-warrior-on-a-mission-to-save-the-world.

This is The Hobbit after all and not "Tauriel: Rebellious Elf Warrior."

/end rant (sorry!)

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 16 2014, 2:12am)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 3:32am

Post #29 of 43 (456 views)
Shortcut
he should [In reply to] Can't Post

it was discussed during the Council of Elrond in the LOTR novel-that was Legolas's whole reason for being there, as his father sent him to report that Gollum had escaped during an orc attack.

I for one completely agree with you. She doesn't need to die to keep continuity with LOTR- she could very well have been one of the guards killed when Gollum escaped, and it wouldn't take anything away from LOTR.

And if she were to remain alive, it would allow focus to be where it is supposed to be, rather than taking focus away from the casualties of the battle.

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 6:56am

Post #30 of 43 (440 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...she wil leave (or be banished) and she will look for Dis to return the stone

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 2:46pm

Post #31 of 43 (426 views)
Shortcut
I thoroughly agree with this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am concerned that anything more than you've described could have a major effect on canon characters and scenes.

I don't mind her being there, but her portrayal needs to be extremely subtle to avoid the disruption of key aspects of the story. (That's from someone who can take a lot when it comes to changes to the story however, I would not be able to tolerate major changes to important characters and their scenes.)

In Reply To
Along with the thoughts in my initial post, I don't want Tauriel's fate or actions to further impact any of the canon character story arcs or character development. I don't want her fate or story arc to have any bearing on Thranduil's decisions or actions, or to alter Kili's actions or fate in any way at the Bo5A. I also don't want her fate or story arc to have any bearing on what Legolas does at the Bo5A or how he feels about dwarves in the future.

In short: I don't want Tauriel to have any significant role in the Bo5A or the aftermath--she shouldn't influence the participation of any canon characters and her fate/story arc resolution should take a distant back seat to that of Thorin, Fili, Kili, Bilbo, Thranduil, Bard, Dain, the other dwarves, etc.

Thranduil's reason for marching on Erebor is established in the book. I'd much rather they didn't rely on a non-canon character's fate or story arc to explain his involvement, or anyone else's for that matter. Unsure

This illustrates what is perhaps my biggest issue with the character: "The Tauriel Effect" on the original source material and other characters. I mean, Legolas spent the entire movie reacting to Tauriel's story arc when he could have been an intriguing character had they shown more of the father/son dynamic instead of focusing on the rebellious-young-elf-warrior-on-a-mission-to-save-the-world.

This is The Hobbit after all and not "Tauriel: Rebellious Elf Warrior."

/end rant (sorry!)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:02pm

Post #32 of 43 (417 views)
Shortcut
The Wood-elves did not let Gollum go [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is that Tauriel ends up surviving BOFA and eventually guarding another prisoner and letting him go....Gollum..
or at least allude to it if PJ doesn't have the rights.

Gollum managed an escape during an Orc-raid. It was the Ents who let Saruman go from Isengard (in Tolkien's legendarium) because they just weren't cut out to be jailers.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 19 2014, 10:22pm

Post #33 of 43 (380 views)
Shortcut
Well... *Spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us look at the facts that we know. 1. She is not in LotR. 2. She will fight in the next movie, with Lego. 3.There are two ways for an Elf to die, battle (aka, being killed) and a broken heart.

Will they kill her? I hope not. I don't mind the addition of the character in the least. I'm actually glad they added a pretty strong female character into a story filled with powerful men. BUT, with that said, my very first thought after leaving the showing of DoS was, I hope she doesn't interfere with the relationship of Fili and Kili. One of the main and only characteristics of these two dwarves in the book was that they are ALWAYS together. They live, they fight, and they die side by side. It's so important to me that JP not interfere with that. To make a crush trump a lifetime of brotherly love would be a shame to the story. Especially with Fili passing up the chance the enter the mountain he may one day rule, to stay with his ill brother. I was a little put off that he wasn't more involved in the healing scene, by the way. Maybe some was cut out? I don't know, but I was disappointed their final scene was Kili and Tauriel connecting and Fili was no where to be seen, like Kili's first reaction after waking up should have been to look for his brother. :/ Maybe I'm being to picky.

On that note, my hope is that she will not be a big part of their death scene. The scene is for Fili and Kili. Perhaps after the battle she will die of a broken heart, but off camera and after the film has ended. That could also contribute to Lego spending his life with Gimli, instead of finding a lady friend. He cares for Tauriel (which is fine with me), maybe not in love with her, but he cares. With that said, she would either have to make it very clear to him that she isn't interested if she doesn't die or she leaves the wood. I also think killing everyone wouldn't be very family friendly!

"Yar a wizard Peeta!" - Gandalf

(This post was edited by Ellanara on Jan 19 2014, 10:27pm)

iduna
Rivendell

Jan 20 2014, 2:57am

Post #34 of 43 (369 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but I think she's not gonna make it *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Tauriel is a great character, I like the way Evangeline Lilly portrays her, and I'm glad that PJ & Co. were brave enough to add a female character to this overwhelmingly male cast.

Furthermore, I think it's ridiculous that people complain so much about her character, when nobody even bats an eyelid over the inclusion of invented male characters like Alfrid, Lindir, or Azog (who, even though he appeared in the history of the dwarves, was long-dead by the time of The Hobbit. His only purpose in the story is to make Thorin's Company run, when they would otherwise walk).

All that said, however, I think Tauriel won't survive the Bo5A. She will probably die defending Kili -- and this will make Legolas angry, because he will hold Kili responsible for her death. This will give him solid reasons for being resentful of dwarves at the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Kili will be all broken up about it, of course. Fili will be a little sad, too, because she was a brave warrior who gave her life, et cetera and so on.

But then both brothers will go on to defend Thorin Oakenshield.

There's no reason why Tauriel's fate would in any way interfere with the eventual fates of Kili, Fili and Thorin.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2014, 3:04am

Post #35 of 43 (351 views)
Shortcut
Ah no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas went to Elrond to report on Gollum, he had a very good reason which had nothing to do with some PJ invented unexisting heroine! Hopefully more people read the books, really.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2014, 7:06am

Post #36 of 43 (346 views)
Shortcut
she doesn't have to be in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been saying this on several threads for quite a while, but about the time of the very inkling beginnings of FOTR, Gollum escaped from Mirkwood's forest where he was being held by elven guards, who were slain when orcs aided in his escape.

Why couldn't it be possible that the captain of the guard was one of the elves that were killed? Legolas in the book comes to Rivendell to report this very event to Elrond, and ended up joining the FOTR.

She doesn't have to die in BO5A just because she was absent in LOTR. She could have been the guard that was killed.

Easy peezy lemon squeasy- problem solved Cool

Ismene
The Shire

Jan 22 2014, 4:08am

Post #37 of 43 (329 views)
Shortcut
dead in Bo5A defending Thorin along side Fili & Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see her being killed off in the Smaug attack; feels too soon. Having her take the rune stone back to Dis isn't necessary as Balin or Dwalin would insist upon doing so based upon their long & close relationship with her family. As for bailing for Valinor when she just committed to ME? No. That would be pulling an unbelievable 180.

we'll all find out sooner or later though.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 4:25am

Post #38 of 43 (326 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone considered the possibililty [In reply to] Can't Post

that she could survive Bo5A and live out her life quietly in ME without being involved in any events from LotR?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

peterLF
Rivendell

Jan 22 2014, 5:16am

Post #39 of 43 (334 views)
Shortcut
You'd think introducing made-up characters warranted... [In reply to] Can't Post

... An account of her future whereabouts. She obviously isn't a part of any non-movie timeline, and seeing that she is immortal, the easiest way to account for her future after TABA would be to kill her off.

I suspect it will have something to do with the Legolas/Kili triangle, where her death (possibly in an attempt to rescue Kili?) would prompt Legolas to blame it on the dwarves. It would also establish [Azog's] bodyguard as truly menacing, and make the climax much more intense. Otherwise there would be no reason to keep Legolas on screen for the amount of time he aldready has been there. Just killing Bolg seems a bit easy on the writers part.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2014, 7:34am

Post #40 of 43 (316 views)
Shortcut
it doesn't though [In reply to] Can't Post

I have said, and will continue to say this though my face is now the color of a blueberry for how often I have said this, but Tauriel could survive TABA and still not be in the events of LOTR.

When Gollum escaped the woodland realm, several of his guards were killed in the orc attack that happened unawares and thus allowing him to escape. She could very well have been one of the guards killed.

Problem solved Cool

peterLF
Rivendell

Jan 23 2014, 3:14am

Post #41 of 43 (309 views)
Shortcut
I said "you'd think"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course she could survive. She could even be the single reason Saurons forces didn't win the north in the War of the Ring. But when hear death would make so much sense, this is clearly the easiest way to not get in unnecessary trouble with lore.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 23 2014, 9:35pm

Post #42 of 43 (301 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

She gets killed in the first 30 seconds of the Prologue by Smaug.

nuck
Rivendell

Feb 1 2014, 9:47pm

Post #43 of 43 (281 views)
Shortcut
Or survive and give birth to an Elvin Dwarvish child? [In reply to] Can't Post

A Dwelf? Thus explaining and fueling Legolas distast for dwarven kind. Grass mowed like no other elf had sufferred. And the child shall be named..... Willow.
Peter this stuff writes itself!

In Reply To
that she could survive Bo5A and live out her life quietly in ME without being involved in any events from LotR?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.