Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 12:57am

Post #26 of 48 (132 views)
Shortcut
It's okay to post spoilers here - for things not out long, I think it's best to just provide a warning. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Jan 21 2014, 1:20am

Post #27 of 48 (128 views)
Shortcut
Lots of tv this week [In reply to] Can't Post

Downton Abbey, Sherlock, Psych, Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, Community

I did re-watch Sherlock seasons 1 and 2 to get ready for the season 3 premiere, and Netflix served up Being Human (UK) as a suggestion afterwards. So I watched the first 2 episodes with Aidan Turner. I'd seen the first few episodes of the US version, which was very similar. It was good, but I'm kind of over the whole vampire/werewolf thing for now, so I don't think I'll continue.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 21 2014, 1:26am

Post #28 of 48 (121 views)
Shortcut
research [In reply to] Can't Post

something occurred to me - did Sir Guy ever call Much by name? It might be as simple as that. Tongue

I tried watching Lover Come Back a while ago since I love Pillow Talk, but it was just too painful. I think I can only watch one of those types of movies, and the rest just come off as silly.

Sleepless in Seattle - a classic. Wink (whoa, I just realized, the 2 main characters are in Seattle and Maryland Shocked)

Jane Eyre - I like that version too, although my favorite is the one with Ciaran Hinds as Mr. Rochester. Evil

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 1:29am

Post #29 of 48 (170 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Pinter's Proust Screenplay certainly capped my list last week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoyed Sherlock last night. Didn't really watch much else I don't think.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2014, 1:44am

Post #30 of 48 (117 views)
Shortcut
toby stephens / jane eyre [In reply to] Can't Post

i love jane eyre, and have feverishly tracked down and purchased all the variations i have been able to find.

the stephens version is a little gem. the acting is wonderful. however -- i'm afraid stephens is too handsome (in a polished way) for rochester, much like timothy dalton. when either utters the rochester line "you are as beautiful as i am handsome" i snort / guffaw / roll my eyes (whichever inspires me most).

and i think it's less about being "handsome" (whatever +that+ is) than about a certain feralness (which dalton actually does well).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2014, 2:03am

Post #31 of 48 (108 views)
Shortcut
I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought they did a pretty good job of roughing him up (I've seen him in other things) so I didn't think of his appearance that much. The way he uses his body, the roughness of his voice and then its gentleness, everything I remember of the character reading the book, he was Rochester for me. Feralness... yes, that is a good word.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2014, 2:12am

Post #32 of 48 (105 views)
Shortcut
I like the most recent movie [In reply to] Can't Post

with Michael Fassbender as Rochester. He was great, and the actress who plays Jane was good too. Judi Dench as Mrs. Farifax was a nice surprise.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2014, 2:30am

Post #33 of 48 (100 views)
Shortcut
fassbender = a phenomenal rochester [In reply to] Can't Post

fassbender is so full of rochester.... intriguing, but so much is not admirable. haunted, tender, then spinning off into cruelty.

i thought that film was far too short, and we also needed more of jane's background. i also think it rushed jane's and rochester's relatonship. however, the acting was superb and the cinematography wonderful. i certainly did enjoy it. mia wasikowska was sublime as jane. perfect casting, and she certainly has the chops for it, even though she was very young.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2014, 2:31am

Post #34 of 48 (105 views)
Shortcut
he certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

he certainly was the most sensual rochester. of all the rochesters, i believe him best when he alludes to the debauchery of his past.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Patty
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 2:36am

Post #35 of 48 (105 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey of course, and I finally got around to watching the The Hobbit EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that The Hobbit, just as was the case with Fellowship, gets much more awesome with the extended edition. With a couple of exceptions, I can't even tell you what the added bits are, because I haven't been paying attention to the news, but it just seems to flow much better than the theatrical version to me. I think Peter Jackson just needs to go with his whole vision for a movie and then just release his movies to discs where you can watch them at home and not be inconvenienced by the length. His editing work is never what I think it should be. That's not to say that I'm ever going to love this like I did Fellowship. But I enjoyed it much more this viewing.

I discussed Downton in the Downton thread.

Permanent address: Into the West

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 3:43am

Post #36 of 48 (93 views)
Shortcut
Ikiru [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, my. Our local video rental store has a shelf labeled "Top 200" and this was on it. We picked it up, not knowing how wonderful it was going to be.

A middle-aged bureaucrat finds out he has terminal cancer (this was 1952, when cancer was usually a death sentence) and desperately seeks to find a way to give meaning to a life that up until now has been mostly filled with meaningless paperwork.

We both cried watching it, and I was especially stricken by a beautiful old waltz sung by the lead actor, Takashi Shimura. His deep, sad voice is so compelling.

I was very much reminded of "It's a Wonderful Life", and I found out after I watched the movie that Akira Kurosawa was indeed inspired by IAWL.

This also turned out to be a perfect movie for Martin Luther King Day weekend. It highlights the good that one person can do, humbly and without violence. The scene in which the main character quietly faces down a Yakuza is a great testimony to the power of peaceful resistance. The character later says "I don't have time to hate." Sounds exactly like something King would say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 3:46am

Post #37 of 48 (92 views)
Shortcut
"It's Teh-a-tee-me!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that book, and they did do a pretty good job with the TV adaptation.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 21 2014, 5:45am

Post #38 of 48 (83 views)
Shortcut
Hogfather! Michelle Dockery before becoming Mary Crawley! [In reply to] Can't Post

and infinitely more fun, in my opinon. Death has always been one of my very favorite Pratchett characters and Michelle is great as granddaughter Susan.

They did a great job with the screen adaptation but I can't help loving the book far more.

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 21 2014, 5:52am

Post #39 of 48 (83 views)
Shortcut
LOVED The Intouchables! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for Philomena - well, Judy Dench is Judy Dench. I found the true story upon which the movie is based quite touching, but it was that story that held my interest. I found myself feeling pretty neutral toward all of the movie characters and rather uninvested emotionally, so it was not a particularly good movie for me.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2014, 11:38am

Post #40 of 48 (81 views)
Shortcut
KoH music [In reply to] Can't Post

Two friends of mine here in Texas who specialize in ancient music and instruments were among the uncredited performers. That shows how wide a net Gregson-Williams cast to find authentic sound.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 2:16pm

Post #41 of 48 (69 views)
Shortcut
Marc Warren [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Warren was especially effective as Mr. Teatime. Simultaneously creepy and hysterical.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 11:13pm

Post #42 of 48 (60 views)
Shortcut
cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's one of the soundtracks I own. however I bought it as a digital download and one of the tracks has a decided buzz to it in one spot I'm convinced is not supposed to be there. I contacted Amazon and they said they'd redo the track. (and they refunded me some money) I waited months and downloaded it again and the buzz is still there. I regretted not buying the CD.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 3:07am

Post #43 of 48 (48 views)
Shortcut
Lone Survivor [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah. That's the way soldiers talk and act. I know those guys, or at least guys just like them. The whole movie was like a two hour flashback for me. I've been to Bagram AB, where some of the scenes were set; the movie wasn't filmed there, but the set was a very good facsimile of Bagram.

I was aircrew, not a groundpounder, so I can't say how realistic the fighting was. But the flying scenes with helicopters and gunships were dead on. That's what it was like to fly in Afghanistan.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 3:37am

Post #44 of 48 (56 views)
Shortcut
O.o Elanor! It's been ages! [In reply to] Can't Post

So good to see you again!

x

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 4:44am

Post #45 of 48 (40 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes indeed!\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2014, 9:48am

Post #46 of 48 (34 views)
Shortcut
I've missed you so much! I plan a personal accounting this Fiesta Friday. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 22 2014, 4:12pm

Post #47 of 48 (34 views)
Shortcut
We saw it too. **small spoilers** [In reply to] Can't Post

Very, very compelling. Little Eruvande wants to see this movie very much but he's going to have to do some growing up first. (He's twelve. ) The thing that irritated me most about the story was the lack of enough helicopters for timely air support. The ones assigned to the men in the story were pulled to go support another group, leaving the first group without support when they most needed it. I have a feeling that happens more often than we'd like to hear. Unsure
Anyway in spite of all the graphic battle scenes, by far the toughest part to sit through was the credits. They showed pictures of all those killed in the mission during happier times: weddings, playing with their kids, etc. These are ordinary men doing extraordinary things. It really hits home.
Thank you, Meneldor, for your service and the time spent away from your family. I'm glad you're here.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 6:02pm

Post #48 of 48 (28 views)
Shortcut
Good call, Alassea. A 12 yr old is too young for this one. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right about the difficulties of providing air support. Everyone wants it, and they want it right now. Aircraft need downtime for repairs, maintenance, servicing, and rearming, and the aircrew needs downtime to eat and sleep, so there aren't nearly as many combat aircraft available as you'd hope for. And even when they're up, they have many limitations; clouds, winds, target identification, navigation, limited munitions, and as we saw in the film, fuel tends to run low just when it's needed most. When I saw that scene I wanted to bang my head in frustration because I know how true it is and how little can be done about it.

I had heard about the real photos in the credits, so I was ready for that part. That reminded me of my time on the base Honor Guard; in two years I went to about 200 military funerals to present the folded flag to the next-of-kin. That was the toughest and most moving duty I ever had. "Ordinary men doing extraordinary things" is exactly right, and they had ordinary families dealing with extraordinary circumstances. Bless them all.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.