Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Define "cold" for you! (outside)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Define "cold" for you! (outside)
20-30 C
10-20 C
0-10 C
-10-0 C
-20--10 C
-20- -30 and below
View Results (58 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 22 2014, 12:31am

Post #1 of 54 (437 views)
Shortcut
Define "cold" for you! (outside) Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 22 2014, 12:32am

Post #2 of 54 (274 views)
Shortcut
// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 22 2014, 12:33am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 1:22am

Post #3 of 54 (264 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

there's cold.

then there's freezing (as a non-scientific descriptor)

then there's bitter.

then there's worse than that.

cold = 20 F (-6 C)

freezing = -4 F (-20 C)

bitter = -15 F (-26 C)

-22 F (-30 C) ... I don't have a description for it that can be expressed on a family friendly board.

So, do you want at which temp I start to admit it feels cold. Or do want the temp at which I'd do my darndest not to go out? Or do you want as bad as it gets here?

In the winter, as soon as the temps rise to 30... people start wearing shorts and going without coats. hahaha... they shout to winter... I laugh in your face! Take that! We don't need no stinkin' hats.

If a Dairy Queen is open, they're standing at the window waiting for ice cream. I swear ... I saw someone in flip flops on a below freezing day.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 1:49am

Post #4 of 54 (270 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty much okay with cold. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the wind that gets me.

Out in the middle of nowhere with nothing between me and the polar wind except a barb wire fence in North Dakota. Brrrrr!

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2014, 3:14am

Post #5 of 54 (240 views)
Shortcut
Below 0 is cold, but not enough to keep me in. [In reply to] Can't Post

-30 is when I don't go out unless I have to.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2014, 3:18am

Post #6 of 54 (263 views)
Shortcut
Converted to Fahrenheit, for my fellow USians... [In reply to] Can't Post

The ranges in the poll are:

68F-86F
50F-68F
32F-50F
14F-32F
-4F to 14F
Below -4F

My own vote goes to -4 to 14 (-20 to -10C) which I regret to say, describes the current temperature outside where I live. I am SO not looking forward to digging the snow out early in the morning if school is not called off. (It may be - it is also snowing and we might get up to 8 inches/20 cm of snow).

14-32 (-10-0C) is not my favorite weather, but with my nice down coat, ski gloves, hand-knit scarf, and one of those fleece headbands that cover the ears, being outside can be perfectly pleasant.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Jan 22 2014, 3:20am)

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 5:13am

Post #7 of 54 (243 views)
Shortcut
I'm so awfully ethnocentric that I actually thought that was Fahrenheit in the poll [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm thinking , heck, it's all cold!
Cool

60 weather is absolutely perfect for me. I don't start getting cold until it is under 30. And when it gets into the teens I want to stay in. Below zero I don't go out, more for the difficulty in breathing, as a person who gets asthma.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 5:18am

Post #8 of 54 (236 views)
Shortcut
when I first moved to Minnesota [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't figure out why so many people riding the bus were wearing surgical or dust masks. I thought they were afraid of germs. Then I found they used them to keep the air they were breathing warm so they didn't get asthma attacks.

I definitely try to keep a scarf over my mouth when it gets real cold.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 5:22am

Post #9 of 54 (236 views)
Shortcut
It's 3 out right now. [In reply to] Can't Post

And going lower tonight. I'm so blessed to be retired and not having to get out in that.

But Mr. Patty has a doctor's appointment later this week, and since he's temporarily on a walker I'll probably have to go with him. I might have to use your ideal about the surgical mask if I can't keep my mouth and nose covered with a scarf.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 5:28am

Post #10 of 54 (240 views)
Shortcut
neck gaiters [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/...ene-neck-gaiters.htm
http://www.legionsafety.com/...nit-neck-gaiter.html

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 6:21am

Post #11 of 54 (228 views)
Shortcut
Oh, awesome! Thanks. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 6:35am

Post #12 of 54 (219 views)
Shortcut
Just got one off Amazon since you drew my attention to this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be here in two days. This is great. Because it's been so cold it is hard to breathe out there and this should really help. Awesome.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 7:22am

Post #13 of 54 (218 views)
Shortcut
Now I'm wondering if these things are able to keep out flu virus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not. I expect the virus is small enough to get through if someone sneezes near you.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 9:11am

Post #14 of 54 (217 views)
Shortcut
That was my grandmother's life, Darkstone - [In reply to] Can't Post

Out in the middle of nowhere with nothing between me and the polar wind except a barb wire fence in North Dakota. Brrrrr!

and then she moved to Minnesota. When she inherited a bit of money, she told my grandfather, "I'm taking the boys to California. Are you coming?" They went.

She would have given me heck for moving to Illinois, then New Jersey, then Sweden after all her trouble to get me to sunny Southern California!Cool I think she would have approved of NZ, too. I'm done with cold cold.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 22 2014, 10:46am

Post #15 of 54 (205 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you, Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

The freezing wind is often worse I've found than the cold itself, a cold and windy day can be too much to stomach.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 10:53am

Post #16 of 54 (223 views)
Shortcut
Our definition of cold changes as the winter becomes spring! [In reply to] Can't Post

In January what makes us cringe, we consider balmy in March. I guess after the bitter cold of late January and February, the even-just-above-freezing temps of March are warm enough not to need a coat!

Our coldest here in east-central Ohio (since I came here from Los Angeles in 1967) is -12 F. In my opinion, WAY to cold.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 2:03pm

Post #17 of 54 (192 views)
Shortcut
I am thinking of getting these items [In reply to] Can't Post

being it 1 degree here. Perhaps Mr. Patty would be interested IN THIS as well. I bet he would reciprocate and buy you the other furry item Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 2:48pm

Post #18 of 54 (196 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it can't hurt [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think flu germs are spread as much on hard surfaces as they are in the air. So one has to use multiple approaches.

I had some checkup in Oct/Nov and all the doctors offices had mask stations. They asked people who were sick to mask up as soon as they entered the clinic.

I would also wash that neck gaiter fairly often. I think we tend to neglect how germy things like that can get over time.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 5:53pm

Post #19 of 54 (184 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind cold as long as the roads aren't slick. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate commuting on icy roads. But if it's just cold, I can bundle up. We've been cross-country skiing when it was around 0 Fahrenheit, which is -18 Celsius.

We saw this flagman wearing a fake-fur beard on the road the other day. I wear a crocheted beard when I go hiking in the cold myself sometimes.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 22 2014, 5:56pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 5:57pm

Post #20 of 54 (178 views)
Shortcut
-12 F is soap bubble weather! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when it gets that cold. Also good for seeing sun dogs and halos in the sky.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 6:12pm

Post #21 of 54 (180 views)
Shortcut
Magpie is right here Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think flu germs are spread as much on hard surfaces as they are in the air. So one has to use multiple approaches.

Absolute best prevention is frequent handwashing/sanitizing, and avoiding contact between hands and eyes, nose and mouth. That is the most common vector. That cloth gaiter will certainly provide a physical barrier - it is not a particulate mask (which is the TB standard we use clinically) but if the fit is over your nose and mouth it will serve the same purpose as a standard mask (such as one might get in the doctor's office) which merely functions as a mechanical barrier. For flu isolation in house we use the standard mask, so that is appropriate use.
It certainly won't hurt and may help. Stay well! Angelic

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 8:48pm

Post #22 of 54 (160 views)
Shortcut
Sil, you are so bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartCool

Patty
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 9:07pm

Post #23 of 54 (160 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I will wash it often. Our wash machine has a sanitizing cycle... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the material can take it.

Next year I'm probably just going to break down and get a flu shot. My doctor did tell me that as a person with asthma I should get one. I'm always uncomfortable about getting one because it seems to me that, as the flu strains change from year to year not enough time is available for adequate testing each year, and I'm more concerned about ill effects from the vaccine than the flu itself. But I read that, of the 10 people who have died from the flu in indiana none had been vaccinated. I'm thinking my odds are best with the shot now.

Purcell and hand washing are standard at our house. Everyone gets Purcell in her Christmas stocking each year.

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Jan 22 2014, 9:50pm

Post #24 of 54 (169 views)
Shortcut
14F today, winds at 10-15 mph. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went out for my usual walk, 3 miles in about an hour. It was fine.

Of course, it helps to wear the right kind of coat.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 3:55am

Post #25 of 54 (153 views)
Shortcut
Interesting picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

The way its shot, it rather looks like one of the Nine ready to go off with Ernest Shackelton.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.