Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Rings of Power...

KasDel
Rivendell

Jan 21 2014, 10:00pm

Post #1 of 7 (402 views)
Shortcut
Rings of Power... Can't Post

Search as I can, I have not found an answer to a question I have. Did Peter Jackson ever use the entire 'ring poem' any where in the movies?
"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

I know he used lines 6 and 7 inscribed on the one ring, but what about the rest of the poem?Unsure

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 2:48am

Post #2 of 7 (226 views)
Shortcut
I haven't checked to make sure, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think most of it is narrated in the prologue of FotR. I believe the line "In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie" is missing.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

KasDel
Rivendell

Jan 22 2014, 2:58am

Post #3 of 7 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember some individual lines being spoken, but the entire poem was broken into pieces. I have loved that poem since I first read the books. I think Peter Jackson missed out on a good vehicle to include as a showcase!Unsure Oh well!

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 22 2014, 1:32pm

Post #4 of 7 (205 views)
Shortcut
Originally yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Council Of Elrond scene Elrond was supposed to quote the entire Ring Verse parts of it can be seen in the EE Appendices, the council of Elrond scene should have been much longer with Gandalf explaining how Sauron made and is connected to the Ring "He mingled the gold with his own life force" if I remember correctly

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 4:50pm

Post #5 of 7 (173 views)
Shortcut
I thought so too [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have sworn they used the ring poem in narration during the prologue, but reading through an online script (http://www.imsdb.com/...f-the-Ring,-The.html) it looks like they changed the wording significantly. Unless the script is mistaken or it was included somewhere in the EE.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 6:49pm

Post #6 of 7 (182 views)
Shortcut
I thought I could remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond saying, "In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie," but I couldn't place it.
I agree with you - it is definitely in the appendices.

OldBeard
The Shire

Jan 24 2014, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 7 (145 views)
Shortcut
Yeah You Can See Some of Those Extras in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the Council Of Elrond scene Elrond was supposed to quote the entire Ring Verse parts of it can be seen in the EE Appendices, the council of Elrond scene should have been much longer with Gandalf explaining how Sauron made and is connected to the Ring "He mingled the gold with his own life force" if I remember correctly

Yeah, you can see some of that in the EE version of the movie where Gandalf starts using Black Speech. It's pretty cool and it would've been neat to see more of that in the theatre version. I haven't watched the appendices for the films yet so maybe I should do that.

@OP I think Galadriel gives a slightly altered version of the poem in the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring as others have pointed out. I don't remember ever hearing "In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie" ever spoken in any of the films. It's too bad because the poem is really good.

My Hobbit News Blog

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.