The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: Shall We Dance?

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2014, 2:12am

Post #1 of 12 (626 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Shall We Dance? Can't Post

Times are dark for Gondor and only fool's hope remains but the one who said that seems to be gaining momentum. I decided to view Gandalf's performance here from a more artistic point this time. Choreographical. After all, even in war there is rhythm and where is rhythm, there is movement. This was the beginning of dance. Under the drums and horns, Gandalf looks like a dancer. What do you think? Is there beauty in this picture if we look at it from this side?

You can find the full size here: http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk1262.htm

Any thoughts on this intriguing image are welcome. Cool

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Jan 21 2014, 2:12am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 21 2014, 4:52am

Post #2 of 12 (443 views)
Shortcut
Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who has studied and practiced swordplay for years, I definitely see beauty in a skilled warrior wielding his weapons well. (Do I get bonus points for alliteration?) I understand Ian McKellen has a reputation as an accomplished stage combatant, and I find his movements in battle to be realistic enough as well as entertaining.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 5:05am

Post #3 of 12 (443 views)
Shortcut
I'm moderately sure that isn't Sir Ian [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's his stunt double. I say 'moderately' because I have a memory of hearing it - perhaps on the commentary track so it's more than a 'vague' memory. But I'm not going to pop in the DVD to check so I won't claim anything higher than 'moderately' sure.

although, I did find this:
http://www.news-mail.com.au/...stunt-double/101945/

and this: "Ian McKellen was nice, I only spoke to him once - most of the time his stunt double did the fight scenes for him."
http://bestofama.com/amas/u6xyy

but I still think I probably heard it on the commentary.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2014, 2:42pm

Post #4 of 12 (408 views)
Shortcut
Bonus point [In reply to] Can't Post

You do get one for studying such a thing! Cool I also see beauty in the movements and the choreography of a fight. The steps forward and backwards, the turns. It does remind me a complicated and possibly deadly dance. The "deadly" part adds beauty to me, I guess it's my dark side. I didn't know Sir McKellen had such a reputation, that's something to investigate further. Thank you.

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 21 2014, 2:43pm

Post #5 of 12 (403 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Something in the face made me think of a stunt double but because the focus of the picture is not clear I wasn't sure. Thank you for the links.

I believe

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 21 2014, 8:37pm

Post #6 of 12 (389 views)
Shortcut
In the contrast [In reply to] Can't Post

between the blurred figures of the soldiers and the clarity of Gandalf, it is as if Gandalf (the Maia) moves in a different world and at a different speed than mortals such as the soldiers.

Nice screencap selection, thank you Smile.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 21 2014, 10:38pm

Post #7 of 12 (380 views)
Shortcut
I'm not so sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall reading that McKellen did this scene in pickups, so it seems very likely that at least some of the performance is his. This particular shot might be a double, though - I think it's common to cut from actor to double as necessary to get the best shots, blending the two performances.

Actually, I just found this on Sir Ian's blog:
I didn’t actually finish until the next day. . . Wednesday 2nd July 2003.

... I finished mid-afternoon standing in front of a green screen close to the camera, filming a close-up of Gandalf as he battled with unseen (indeed non-existent) forces – orcs probably, although I confess I’m never too sure.

It can be surprisingly tiring in heavy robes twisting and turning even only on the spot, stabbing and slicing the air as a sedentary director watching a TV monitor of the action a few yards away shouts encouragement “More vicious! Behind You! Again – hit him again! It’s an effort! It’s exhausting! One last effort!” Then blessedly after a couple of minutes when my arms feel they are about to drop off, it’s “Excellent Ian! Alright?” ... “And that is a wrap on Ian McKellen!”
That sounds like this very scene, and if it is, it's the very last thing Sir Ian performed for the Lord of the Rings!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 1:56am

Post #8 of 12 (341 views)
Shortcut
Oh nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a very interesting view. It made me think. Thank you. It makes sense... I've always thought there are many details hidden in the movie like the one you see now. I like going through the galleries often and I find something I missed before all the time!

Thank you for stopping by. Smile

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 1:57am

Post #9 of 12 (344 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

So he did it himself! Amazing... I'll never stop admiring him. He's a fantastic actor. Thank you for digging out this part. I wonder how much of the siege he did himself as it looks so intense. Shocked

LOL I reread it and it sounds so funny too. But also very difficult. Not an easy job to be an actor, after all. One must have quite an imaginaton!

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Jan 23 2014, 1:59am)

Nira
Lorien

Jan 23 2014, 3:28am

Post #10 of 12 (340 views)
Shortcut
In the dvd extras his stunt double is shown to have done some of these moves [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it is very dance-like. The actors have to act and react at the proper moments...that'd be awkward to fall before being struck or turn into a strike. I forget who, but I recall an interview of an actor (I think it was for the newest Star Trek movies) that described learning combat scenes was like learning a dance.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2014, 4:16am

Post #11 of 12 (348 views)
Shortcut
Stunt [In reply to] Can't Post

h yes, he did have a stunt. But what Far From Home quoted from his blog means he did probably this scene on his own (he may ahve been replaced or partially replaced at a later point digitally). Fighting and martial arts are similar to dance, IMO. There is choreography. I guess what attracted me to that shot was also the darker side as this is a potentially deadly dance and while we usually associate "dance" with beauty, it may be a last dance. Multilayered, I thought.

I believe

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 23 2014, 10:24am

Post #12 of 12 (359 views)
Shortcut
Actors and stunties [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the way it's done, from what I've noticed in the EEs, is that the actor and the stuntie both perform the whole scene as far as they can (if it's too difficult or dangerous, of course, the actor won't do it at all). Then the director can cut from one performance to the other, every few seconds if he wants to, to get the best possible result. Sometimes the two performances are done one after the other (I think I recall that Legolas' surfing stunt was done that way, with the stuntie coaching Orlando). But sometimes the two performances are done at different times, which is what must have happened here. There was probably already footage of a stuntie fighing orcs, and they wanted footage of Sir Ian as well to splice in. So he had to fight imaginary orcs against a green screen. So I'm not sure there's any way to tell who's in any particular screenshot. Judging from some of the cast commentaries I've listened to, even the actors and stunties can't always tell who did what in the finished scene!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.