Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
TOR - RPG News: 'The Darkening of Mirkwood' available for pre-order

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 4:13pm

Post #1 of 7 (455 views)
Shortcut
TOR - RPG News: 'The Darkening of Mirkwood' available for pre-order Can't Post

From the Cubicle 7 website:

The Necromancer may have been cast out of Dol Guldur, but a lingering darkness remains over Mirkwood, a shadow that will grow ever longer as the years draw on unless a fellowship of heroes step forward and hold back the gloom.

The Darkening of Mirkwood is a complete campaign for The One Ring, set in Mirkwood over the course of three decades. It allows you to tell your own epic saga, following your heroes in their quest as the tale of years unfolds before them...

...The Darkening of Mirkwood is a full colour, 144 page hardcover. Written by Gareth Ryder Hanrahan and Francesco Nepitello, with art by Jon Hodgson, Jason Juta and Jordy Lakiere.

Available for pre-order now at the Cubicle 7 webstore. Pre-orders include a PDF copy of The Darkening of Mirkwood. Hard copies are expected in April, PDF in January.

Check out the Cubicle 7 site to view the cover and some of the gorgeous interior art for The Darkening of Mirkwood. I've been looking forward to this and definitely plan on ordering it. Waiting for it to show up at U.S. retailers is just too frustrating.

In other C7 news, the Hobbit Tales story-telling card game has started to ship and has already been received by a number of U.S. customers who pre-ordered the game.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 16 2014, 4:16pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 19 2014, 5:43pm

Post #2 of 7 (197 views)
Shortcut
Dang it! They got to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since The Darkening of Mirkwood book isn't expected to be physically released before April, I was going to wait a while before ordering this. However, thanks to all of the glowing feedback at the Cubicle 7 Forums for the pdf copy, I just could not resist any longer. I have made my pre-order.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2014, 11:17pm

Post #3 of 7 (201 views)
Shortcut
Let us know when you get it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't played in years, and I'm curious about the state of the art these days.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 19 2014, 11:22pm

Post #4 of 7 (207 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have three consecutive adventures lined up for my party, but I wonder if I could work this in...
(Which is exactly why my games never seem to end. Right there. ^^)

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 2:27pm

Post #5 of 7 (205 views)
Shortcut
I downloaded the pdf yesterday; a brief review: [In reply to] Can't Post

This is going to be a gorgeous book. Adventure seeds cover 30 years, bringing the game up to the year TA 2977. Those 30 years are broken down into three distinct periods: The Last Good Years: 2947-2950; The Return of the Shadow: 2951-2960; and The Darkening of Mirkwood: 2961-2977. There are a few pages near the end of the book that largely duplicates information from the companion sourcebook The Heart of the Wild, this is the Appendix, which covers the Nazgul of Dol Guldur and other Characters and Creatures specific to the campaign. However, the duplication is probably worthwhile for ease of reference.

This is definitely a book for Loremasters/GMs as opposed to Adventurers but well-worth getting. The physical product is expected to be in stores in April. Recommended.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 20 2014, 2:41pm)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 11:21pm

Post #6 of 7 (178 views)
Shortcut
What are the game mechanics/dice/character creation like? [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked up the last ME RPG (ICON, I think?) and was disappointed. They were good looking books with lots of ME info, but the system was a headache for character creation. I tried to run a couple of encounters, and I concluded that the system needed more development, if not a complete overhaul.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 11:37pm

Post #7 of 7 (341 views)
Shortcut
Game mechanics of 'TOR' [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll let the folks at Cubicle 7 speak for the game:
- The One Ring Roleplaying Game
- TOR System
- TOR Characters

Years ago I played Iron Crown's Middle-earth Role Playing game (MERP). That was heavy on combat and relied a lot on tables. The last Middle-earth tabletop rpg previous to TOR that I am aware of was published by Decipher. I never bought it and I don't know how the mechanics played out. I do like the player character creation process in TOR, although it is a bit different from all other rpgs that I've played. The game has a very different feel compared to the average D&D dungeon delve. This game captures the atmosphere and tone of Tolkien's Middle-earth better than any other. The initial focus is squarely on the Wilderland region from east of the Misty Mountains to the Lonely Mountain including all of Mirkwood Forest. I look forward to it with great anticipation.

The next sourcebook, following The Darkening of Mirkwood campaign, will focus on Rivendell, its Elves and the Rangers of the North.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 20 2014, 11:42pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.