Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
No one seems to bring up the topic of Cannabalism?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 2:11pm

Post #1 of 24 (1041 views)
Shortcut
No one seems to bring up the topic of Cannabalism? Can't Post

That must be the MOST Hideous
Crime one
Could
Commit.

Golllum is a Cannibal.

("We eats it whole?")

Orcs are Cannibals..

("Meat's back on the Menu!... Boyzzz?")

Trolls are Cannibals.

("I've Still got some Farmer?... stuck in my Teeth?")

Goblins in Goblintown are Cannibals.

(You don't see ANY Vegetable Gardens, do you?)

Bomby can't think of anything worse
Then to know...

When you are Dead
Then. You are Food
for the guy who
killed you.?

Are we jus' too Jaded to Notice
This gastly Crime against Nature?

That sure would have Frightened BIGTIME
Chris Tolkien when his dad Made that up!

Crazy

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 20 2014, 2:24pm

Post #2 of 24 (541 views)
Shortcut
Only orcs ''do'' cannibalism... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum is (was) a hobbit and does want to eat another hobbit (Bilbo) but does not actually do that.
All other creatures eat different species and are, thus, no cannibals (trolls are not human).

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

TheHutt
Gondor

Jan 20 2014, 2:26pm

Post #3 of 24 (527 views)
Shortcut
So far... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is only Gollum who is about to become a cannibal:
Hobbit wishes to eat another hobbit.

Trolls don't eat other trolls, goblins don't (reportedly) eat other goblins. Cannibalism means eating a specimen of the same species.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Jan 20 2014, 2:27pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jan 20 2014, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 24 (464 views)
Shortcut
In TT... [In reply to] Can't Post

the orcs and urak-hai eat another orc. ''Meat is back on the menu''...

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 24 (402 views)
Shortcut
Gollum does not recognize himself as a "hobbit" nor [In reply to] Can't Post

does he see Bilbo as a similar being to himself. He is so corrupted that he is alone with his Ring. I doubt his people referred to themselves hobbits per se...as Stoors....or he has simply forgotten.

"Stoors: The Stoors were the second most numerous group of Hobbits and the last to enter Eriador. They were broader than other Hobbits. They mostly dwelt beside rivers and were the only Hobbits to use boats and swim. Males were able to grow beards. Tolkien says they were "less shy of Men". Sméagol and Déagol were Stoors.[16] Tolkien used an archaic English word stor or stoor "strong"."

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 20 2014, 4:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 24 (413 views)
Shortcut
There's worse [In reply to] Can't Post

Under the right circumstances, cannabalism = survival.

Far worse, in my opinion, is sexual abuse of children. Just my 2 cents.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Noria
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 4:25pm

Post #7 of 24 (378 views)
Shortcut
It's difficult to know what cannibalism means in a world where there are quite a few sentient species. [In reply to] Can't Post

But one sentient being consuming another smacks of cannibalism to me.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 4:48pm

Post #8 of 24 (368 views)
Shortcut
I was reading somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

And the author postulated that children need scary stories. If used correctly, the stories would teach children what it was right and rational to fear. He contended that if left alone, their natural fear (which is a good, well developed instinct in a lot of cases) would develop incorrectly. Instead of having a healthy aversion to dangerous things, they would fear monsters under the bed and bug-a-bears, while recklessly playing with the proverbial 'fire'. He also said that it was part of the duty of a good story to instill a life lesson within the child.

So, if Tolkien thought so, he was telling these stories, and his children were learning what kinds of evils to avoid and virtues to embrace.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 5:08pm

Post #9 of 24 (343 views)
Shortcut
Agreed there [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't get the big deal about eating for survival. I would not be opposed to donating my body as food after I die, but someone said humans taste terrible. I'm not sure how they would know though.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 5: Elves)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=704543;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 6:12pm

Post #10 of 24 (325 views)
Shortcut
From what I'vre read [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really don't get the big deal about eating for survival. I would not be opposed to donating my body as food after I die, but someone said humans taste terrible. I'm not sure how they would know though.

The nearest comparison to human seems to be pork.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 20 2014, 7:16pm

Post #11 of 24 (306 views)
Shortcut
“Not eaten up by Wargs or goblins or wicked bears yet I see!” [In reply to] Can't Post

No surprise since the threat of being eaten up is a common theme in children's literature (Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, Three Little Pigs, etc. ). It is a major theme in The Hobbit along with similar childhood concerns of discomfort and homesickness. The trolls, goblins, Gollum, wargs, eagles, Beorn, bears, spiders, and of course Smaug all at one time or another seem poised to gobble up poor little Bilbo.

“So here you all are still!” [Beorn] said. He picked up the hobbit and laughed: “Not eaten up by Wargs or goblins or wicked bears yet I see”; and he poked Mr. Baggins’ waistcoat most disrespectfully. “Little bunny is getting nice and fat again on bread and honey,” he chuckled. “Come and have some more!”

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 8:57pm

Post #12 of 24 (249 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is SoGlad.... thizz Thread has SUM Legs? [In reply to] Can't Post

" What about their Legs?
...They don't need them"...

Yaznag.... (Bomby thinks)
delivered wonderfully by
Jed Brophy... (Bomby thinks)

That line, scared the
Pants off Merry &
Pippin...

Then one of grossest thingies
PJ Showed..
was intestines Flying in the Air..
As those guys
dissected Jed?

Really?..just how close
can PJ get
to showing
Cannibalism on Screen
in a PG film?

So much is implied
Yet, shown off screen
from "That Splatter-Film Guy" in NZ!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 20 2014, 10:24pm

Post #13 of 24 (225 views)
Shortcut
Bruno Betleheim? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the author postulated that children need scary stories. If used correctly, the stories would teach children what it was right and rational to fear. He contended that if left alone, their natural fear (which is a good, well developed instinct in a lot of cases) would develop incorrectly. Instead of having a healthy aversion to dangerous things, they would fear monsters under the bed and bug-a-bears, while recklessly playing with the proverbial 'fire'. He also said that it was part of the duty of a good story to instill a life lesson within the child.

So, if Tolkien thought so, he was telling these stories, and his children were learning what kinds of evils to avoid and virtues to embrace.

And I have clearly butchered the spelling of his name. The book is "The Uses of Enchantment." I read it long ago and it had some interesting things to say.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 20 2014, 10:34pm

Post #14 of 24 (223 views)
Shortcut
Coming in December to a theater near you. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/

The play was based on Bruno Bettelheim’s "The Uses of Enchantment”.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 10:56pm

Post #15 of 24 (212 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds right. I tried to find the original quote, (I know it said something about 'bug-bears') but, alas, it is lost, for no memories of mine live that remember it.Crazy

I might have to page through the book at the local library and see.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 11:12pm

Post #16 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
I don't know Bettelheim, but I like CSLewis' take on the subject: [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 11:26pm

Post #17 of 24 (196 views)
Shortcut
Nice!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that too!!

Lio
Lorien

Jan 21 2014, 12:44am

Post #18 of 24 (209 views)
Shortcut
Disturbing Gollum detail [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf on Gollum, talking to Frodo in FotR chapter 2:

"The Woodmen said that there was a new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests; it crept into holes to find the young; it slipped through windows to find cradles."

So, apparently Gollum is a baby-eating cannibal. Crazy So not cute, oh no my precious! Shocked

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

nandorin elf
Bree

Jan 21 2014, 3:12am

Post #19 of 24 (164 views)
Shortcut
Aww, I really like that quote. [In reply to] Can't Post

willowing
Lorien

Jan 21 2014, 7:27am

Post #20 of 24 (162 views)
Shortcut
We view Tolkien's.... [In reply to] Can't Post

book world as fantasy and we have become fascinated by and fans of his writings. The descriptions of many events that take place in his imaginary world is as old as the history of mankind. Killing, warfare, murders, looting, taking over different countries, regions, sorcery, witchcraft, cannibalism. The list just goes on.
There are also the positives.
The passage below can be found in this link
http://www.gotquestions.org/...e.html#ixzz2r0t1Sw8I

In summary, while Scripture gives no explicit command against cannibalism, from the beginning (Genesis 1:26-27) God made it clear that mankind is unique and distinct from the animal kingdom. Mankind, created in God’s image, has a value and honor above that of animals. The Old Testament closely associates cannibalism with the final stages of judgment from God, thus marking it as a loathsome and evil practice.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 9:29am

Post #21 of 24 (155 views)
Shortcut
Watching survivors of the Andes plane crash [In reply to] Can't Post

returning to the site to pay tribute to the dead was a very moving thing. They took their families with them, including children and therefore grandchildren who would not exist if those men had not had the courage to do what was necessary to survive.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 2:28pm

Post #22 of 24 (131 views)
Shortcut
Colorado has the only Convicted Canniball in USA History [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfred E. Packer got 30 years for
eating the rest (5) of His Snowbound prospectors
near Lake City, in the late 1800's

Look him up on Line.

The Student cafeteria & Grill
@ the University of Colorado (Boulder)
is named "The Afred E. Packer Grill"
as a joke
& it has stuck for 40+ years.

Bomby ate there all the time.
(Mostly Salads)

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 21 2014, 2:28pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 3:39pm

Post #23 of 24 (132 views)
Shortcut
Inspiring the movie musical... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115819/

Advising Elf
Rohan

Jan 21 2014, 5:17pm

Post #24 of 24 (163 views)
Shortcut
That's a Jacksonism, contrary to Tolkein. [In reply to] Can't Post

In "The Uruk-Hai" (chapter 3 of The Two Towers) Grishnakh insults Ugluk by suggesting that and the other orcs from Isengard eat orc flesh.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.