Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Dame Ioreth goes There and Back Again and meets Brethil along the way...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 8:28pm

Post #76 of 105 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the offer [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think B and I did fairly well for me being a relative tenderfoot. Laugh I'm actually quite proud of myself.

I've driven on the wrong side of the road too, in St. Thomas. What was really odd was that the cars were American (driver on the left), but they drove on the left side of the road like the Brits. Very disconcerting turning onto a 4 lane road trying to figure out which lane to aim for! ShockedLaugh

Funny you should say that about NYers... most of the gaggle of fans were from NY and the surrounding area. I think I was the only true out-of-towner. And Brethil can tell you, she and I were the coolest ones there!

Regardless, I'm glad I still get a little buzz seeing someone I admired who was famous. I'd hate to lose that appreciation for something. I've done lobbying in Washington and been around celebrities too but it's still fun to realize "that is someone famous". For example, I was in the Senate Hearing Chamber when Gabby Giffords entered her testimory on background checks. She is an amazing, strong woman and it was a privilege.

What I think is important is to give something back, not take more. Part of the job of an actor is to acknowledge the fans, but the tone of an interaction comes from the fan. A simple thank you for the performance at hand like Brethil gave Richard is I think much needed when presented with so much of another kind of interaction. Again, I think the two of us carried ourselves quite well.

Way to represent TORn, right Brethil?

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 8:36pm

Post #77 of 105 (1233 views)
Shortcut
*I'm* quite proud of you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Driving all that way and finding your way around too! (*applause*) In a very big city as well. Thrilled you did it! So yes: you should feel proud too. So, when do we do it again??????
"Way to represent TORn, right Brethil?" We can hope! SmileCoolWink

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 8:42pm

Post #78 of 105 (1273 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking about this last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

Having come into the performance cold, without having read the script or the book, I am amazed that this spartan production managed to keep all the plot threads and chronology and the emotion and motivation of the characters so clear. It is a complex play but I found it easy to follow with that director/cast as my guide. I felt for Marcel and yes, for Charlus. As I said, funny, but in a sad way.

So, what are we seeing next? Cool

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 19 2014, 4:28am

Post #79 of 105 (1213 views)
Shortcut
yes, you did admirably [In reply to] Can't Post

I know lots of folks that live in the outer boroughs who are apprehensive about navigating the city and they don't live in Maryland! I am very impressed with the both of you.

I may try to be cool around celebrities and have not yet ever spoken to one (one notable exception was meeting Glenn Close at the zoo but she was on a tour so I was required to speak with her. Lovely woman) but I would be terribly flustered if I saw RA on the street. I really don't know what I would do -- faint maybe?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 19 2014, 4:34am

Post #80 of 105 (1220 views)
Shortcut
It was a lot of fun Misty Mountain! [In reply to] Can't Post

My only issue with events like that is that they seem to go by too quickly!
The performances were so worth it all.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 19 2014, 4:45am

Post #81 of 105 (1233 views)
Shortcut
No Man's Land it would appear!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

So, what are we seeing next? Cool

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2014, 4:48am

Post #82 of 105 (1227 views)
Shortcut
You are a bad influence on me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or good... Crazy

But I have to remember never to have my credit card around when on PM. Laugh

OK, No Man's Land Closing performance! Whoot! NYC, here I come! Again!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 19 2014, 5:01am

Post #83 of 105 (1215 views)
Shortcut
So: good influence in the worst way. Right? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You are a bad influence on me...Or good... Crazy
But I have to remember never to have my credit card around when on PM. Laugh
OK, No Man's Land Closing performance! Whoot! NYC, here I come! Again!

Hooooo-ray! Yup! Can't wait, my Tookish friend!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 19 2014, 5:03am

Post #84 of 105 (1232 views)
Shortcut
last performance when? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it on March 29th? On my birthday? Maybe I should go...

Kim
Valinor

Jan 19 2014, 6:04am

Post #85 of 105 (1243 views)
Shortcut
OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, you've got the bug now! Hopefully you can go for the weekend and paint the town! Cool

iduna
Rivendell

Jan 19 2014, 10:33pm

Post #86 of 105 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful report! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 20 2014, 5:56pm

Post #87 of 105 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Those birthday presents are the bestest Precious!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 21 2014, 1:14am

Post #88 of 105 (1134 views)
Shortcut
I prefer to think [In reply to] Can't Post

of situations like these as an opportunity for people to expand their horizons. Some RA fans may never have seen a play but I don't see that makes their interest in being there any less worthy. Some of them might even go to another one because of their night at this one.

I read this comment from one who admitted she had some trouble following the play because of lack of knowledge of it and the actors playing multiple parts but she nevertheless had this to say

I watched those youtube clips and I have to say that it's day and night from watching the actual performance. I mean even without knowing a single cast member and not having anybody to swoon over, attending a live theater performance is unlike watching any recordings. There's something magical about live theater - you breath the same air, the sound reaches you via direct wave form. the actor's face glows under the spot light yet doesn't get washed out as recorded on camera. There's an actual atmosphere you can feel. The actors send out those invisible "vibe" to the audience and even in silence you still retain that line of communication. Unlike tv/movies there's no quick fancy camera cuts back and forth between characters so you can focus on whoever, whatever, and really get a whole picture.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2014, 1:32am

Post #89 of 105 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Very true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there were people in that crowd who might pick up the play and read it, or look for other opportunities to watch live theater, although I think that many will wait for another opportunity to see RA on stage. It may have sounded snobby, but it was not meant that way.

I also admit to pulling some punches when describing some of the behavior/comments around us. I'd rather focus on the memory I have of seeing Richard on his the beloved stage, the fun I had meeting a fellow TORn sib and not pass on the other here. But given what I heard, those people were not looking to expand horizons.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 21 2014, 1:36am

Post #90 of 105 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely - I would love to think for some new to the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

such a powerful cast and performances (and clearly excellent direction and staging) might pique their interest in theater. It was compelling enough certainly. Can only say again: wish I could see it twice!
And yes, we shall not discuss the rest - no need to dwell. It was a magic evening overall!

mefansmum
Rivendell

Jan 22 2014, 2:53am

Post #91 of 105 (1109 views)
Shortcut
My impression is that [In reply to] Can't Post

quite a few people were there because RA was in the play and I did not mean to imply that any of them were consciously thinking of expanding their horizons, or even needed to do so, it is just something nice that can happen for anyone who tries something new.

You were correct in thinking there were people in the crowd who knew something about the play. For example http://armitageagonistes.wordpress.com/...pinterproust-part-2/

Some of the comments on the IMDB board that led me to that review and some of the comments on the review indicate there was some pre existing and new interest in the play itself from RA fans.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 3:16am

Post #92 of 105 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Great post - thank you for the link! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 4:59am

Post #93 of 105 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Yes, wonderful link! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, do you think we'll see any of that crowd at No Man's Land?

Maybe we'll see Richard again, sitting in our row! Laugh It's the last chance to see it correct? I wonder if he or Orlando Bloom got a chance to see the Two Sirs. OB is so busy with Romeo and Juliet though. It's amazing the actors get a chance to do anything with the performance schedule they have. I'm guessing they have understudies take over some of the time. When I saw Memphis they had the understudy to Felicia performing. I think we were lucky though because once a heard the soundtrack with the star in it I have to say I thought the understudy's voice was better suited to Adam Pascal's voice. He himself had replaced the original lead too though so that might have been the bit of disconnect.

Anyway, that schedule... And to do that into their 70s? Ian McKellen has got to be one of the coolest people out there to have that kind of energy. I can't wait!

And when I come in May I want to see Once. We haven't done a musical yet... Need to look for discount tickets for that one though. It won a bunch of Tonys (Tonies?) so tickets are still pretty dear.

... I'm beginning to think this is like my tattoo. I was warned that once you get one you will want to get another. Mine is simple and small and very meaningful to me and I really don't want another but sometimes... Now I've got this play bug... yeah, hide my credit card. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 5:11am

Post #94 of 105 (1076 views)
Shortcut
'Theater cooties'. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup. You've got 'em. Hooray for me!

I think I read someplace on TH a while back that Richard did see Orlando in Romeo - someone *said* he was seen there (?) I think. We missed that boat except for screens now, sadly. I meant to go in December but...life got in the way. Unsure Their schedules seem brutal, I agree - what a commitment. But if one loves what one does, maybe its a pleasure as well. Lovely if Richard and Orlando (maybe Liv too? Oh now I'm being greedy) decided to bid NML goodbye that day as well! This I admit. Wink

I could go for 'Once', sure! (*next stop ticket websites...got your credit card handy dear?*)

Was thinking of trying for tickets to the Tony's this year...its around my son's birthday so I have to see what else we have planned.

I cannot WAIT for you to see the two Sirs on stage! The chemistry they have - as well as how fantastic Billy Crudup and Shuler Hensley were in Godot - bodes very well for our next Adventure! Energy, presence. Everything. And the Cort is a sweet venue, I think.
I have Hamlet coming up too, Feb. 1st. at the Lynn Redgrave theater - I feel like I was there for something when it was Bleecker St.

I still haven't gotten a tattoo yet. Been thinking of getting '#131' someplace for a while now... Laugh

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 22 2014, 5:15am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 22 2014, 5:56am

Post #95 of 105 (1066 views)
Shortcut
And, as a temptation can I dangle... [In reply to] Can't Post

La Boheme or Prince Igor? Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2014, 6:36am

Post #96 of 105 (1101 views)
Shortcut
oh [In reply to] Can't Post

La Boheme...

OK, that's it! Buying a lottery ticket tomorrow.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2014, 4:23pm

Post #97 of 105 (1058 views)
Shortcut
I want to go on record... [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite further danglings of plays, musicals and (Oh my gosh!) Opera at the Met from this person I can only describe as my enabler (thank you for enabling btw! Smile), I have withstood all said temptations and have not bought any more tickets.

I am however, starting a DI Adventure fund. I take PayPal if anyone would like to contribute. WinkLaugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 23 2014, 5:57pm

Post #98 of 105 (1041 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! Signed, Enabler. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Jan 24 2014, 12:29am

Post #99 of 105 (1063 views)
Shortcut
DI Adventure fund [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds awesome - I think I'll start one myself. I actually did do something similar last year, and ended up being able to take some vacations with the funds.

Now that you've got the bug, I'm sensing several more plays, musicals etc in your future. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 25 2014, 12:18am

Post #100 of 105 (1020 views)
Shortcut
DI Adventure Fund... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm. Do you think she takes chocolate coins?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.