Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
If Smaug had the ring

Pazeer
Rivendell

Jan 18 2014, 6:39pm

Post #1 of 15 (501 views)
Shortcut
If Smaug had the ring Can't Post

If say, Smaug had gotten the ring from Bilbo (don't know how he could use it), would Sauron be able to take it from him? How? This is just thinking that he would have to take it from Smaug with force... Would he be able?

KasDel
Rivendell

Jan 18 2014, 7:35pm

Post #2 of 15 (308 views)
Shortcut
Worse yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

would the ring have made Smaug invisible (assuming he got it on one of his 'digits')? Evil That would prove to be REAL trouble!

And yes, I believe Sauron would be able to get the ring from Smaug. At the expense of a LOT of Orcs!

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 8:54pm

Post #3 of 15 (272 views)
Shortcut
as it is gold, he would have stored it in his pile.. No one would have been able to find it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
would the ring have made Smaug invisible (assuming he got it on one of his 'digits')? Evil That would prove to be REAL trouble!

And yes, I believe Sauron would be able to get the ring from Smaug. At the expense of a LOT of Orcs!

KasDel
Rivendell

Jan 18 2014, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 15 (257 views)
Shortcut
At least.... [In reply to] Can't Post

the movie Smaug seemed to 'know' that whatever Bilbo was carrying was different then the rest of his horded gold. Smile

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 18 2014, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 15 (247 views)
Shortcut
Awesome question [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, interesting thoughts are flying through my brain right now! Well, the ring does change sizes depending on the bearer, so yeah, he could possibly get it on a finger...claw...talon? BUT, would he have wanted to? I mean, he knew it was something special, but would he have know how it works? I think, most likely, but would he have wanted to? He would have just added it to his collection of shinny things and let it be; maybe even kept it in a place of honor. AND, in that case, Sauron may never have had a chance finding it and if he did, it would have been a terrible battle, but yeah, the Nazgul would have been able to get it from him.
Awesome question though. I kinda like the idea of all the havoc that would have ensued.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 9:30pm

Post #6 of 15 (228 views)
Shortcut
He would keep it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug would keep the Ring with a fierceness that would make Gollum seem generous. Partly due to the basic nature of Dragons, partially because of the nature of the One Ring. He probably would not use it at first. Dragons are more about possession than about ascribing particular value to any one part of their treatures. However, the Ring is stll the Ring; it would entwine itself in his mind until Smaug coud not resist using it (it would likely enlarge to fit on a claw).

Of course the Ring would still look for ways to bring the Dragon and his plans to ruin in such a way as to return it to its Master.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Silranhir
Bree

Jan 18 2014, 11:42pm

Post #7 of 15 (209 views)
Shortcut
If Smaug had the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd fly out of this abomination of a film before anyone noticed he was in it...

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2014, 12:50am

Post #8 of 15 (216 views)
Shortcut
actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

actually... what i'm wondering is... if smaug had the ring... what would he have +done+ with it?

he's certainly a wiser and more powerful creature than a smeagol. he has will and ambition. what would he do with it? could he have faced off against sauron in some way, had sauron known he had it, and came to take it away?

cheers--

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 4:05am

Post #9 of 15 (179 views)
Shortcut
yeah, great point [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering about this. Was PJ hinting that Smaug has some evil ESP or something? He clearly knew that Bilbo was carrying something gold that was "precious" to him, and I don't buy for a second that this is some kind of vague insight-lob. What was Jackson up with that I wonder?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2014, 5:15pm

Post #10 of 15 (94 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if it would be like [In reply to] Can't Post

when Gollum had the Ring in the root of the mountains. Would Sauron even know it was there? Of course, now the Ring and Sauron are waking up and calling out to each other, an awareness that it's out there would certainly be in play. But I think once Smaug has treasure, it's his. Period. Full Stop. Only his death would make it possible to do anything with that treasure-hoard without danger.
If Smaug had killed Bilbo and the Dwarves, then attacked Lake-town, I think Bard and the rest of the story could play out as it did; but the Ring would be lost in the treasure (like the Arkenstone) to eventually be found by Men and Elves. Dain would not have been aware of what transpired without Thorin's request for the news to be taken to the Iron Hills via birdy-express.
If the movie Smaug kept the Ring, it would be a whole different story. He seemed to be aware of the uniqueness of the Ring, but what it was and whether he (Smaug) would be interested in using it would be the question. I think it's gold and he'd add it to the hoard... which is all he wants. Sauron, if he knew it was there, could try and send his army to get the Ring... or he could glide himself to the Mountain (with a good tail-wind). Then we'd need to visit the Pollantir and see who would win... dragon vs spectre.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 22 2014, 2:08pm

Post #11 of 15 (76 views)
Shortcut
In LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf says that when Sauron took shape again and started searching for the Ring he couldn't find it because Gollum had it with him under the mountains

The Ring went into the shadows with him, and even the maker, when his power had begun to grow again, could learn nothing of it"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22 2014, 5:51pm

Post #12 of 15 (64 views)
Shortcut
There ya go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would Erebor be restricted or dense enough? It's atop the lands and not below the mountains.

hmmmm....

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 22 2014, 6:48pm

Post #13 of 15 (60 views)
Shortcut
technically I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it's both above and below the earth the mines would be underground and maybe a few mansions while all the rest is above we don't have a map of the layout so we don't know where the treasure room is There may be a map in "The Atlas Of Middle Earth" which I have so I'd have to check. I don't think the book specifically said "Treasure room" I think it said innermost basement or innermost dungeon..well that's basically the same thing lol

the 13th warrior
The Shire

Jan 25 2014, 11:08am

Post #14 of 15 (47 views)
Shortcut
Does the Ring work for Smaug, a non Middle Earth humanoid? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating idea Pazeer and I will throw in a radical thought that maybe the Ring would not work for Smaug. The Ring was created by magic powerful humanoid elves, and everyone who possesses it even briefly or is tempted by it is roughly humanoid in form. Gollum was a hobbit once, even Sauron was originally man-like and beautiful to behold in Book LOTR. Perhaps the rule was, you have to put it on a finger for it to work, and the Ring must realize this and bond to the new wearer. Perhaps the Ring itself, and it has consciousness and willpower of its own, says no this is a dragon claw, i don't feel the humanoid finger shape i usually need to work. Would the Ring work if it were on the claw of an eagle? One of Beorn's animals? Perhaps there is even a spell thrown in by the elves to ward off beasts that would use the Ring, it only enables and give power to those resembling a human shape???

Thirteenth Warrior out.

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 25 2014, 11:16am

Post #15 of 15 (177 views)
Shortcut
I think Smaug would devour / swallow it [In reply to] Can't Post

whole.

That's what became of many of the dwarven rings, as I remember.

Based on other cues from the movie, I would say he knows pretty well what it is and would enjoy watching it torture and mangle people all around and would prefer to allow the darkness to settle all around first before devouring the ring that caused it.

I wonder ... when dragons devour great rings ... does some of that ring's magic get released into them and add to their own power? Galurung was dangerous not only because of his physical presence, but also his cruel and twisted magic power over others.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.