Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Was Legolas trying to kill Tauriel or something?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 2:47pm

Post #1 of 31 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Was Legolas trying to kill Tauriel or something? Can't Post

When Tauriel says,"i thought you were an orc" it is evident that Legolas had his bow drawn first,why?
Did he too,think she was an orc?(Highly doubt it, how many beautiful red head orcs are there)lol
Why on MiddleEarth was he in an attacking stance? I mean seriously,it makes no sense.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 18 2014, 3:09pm

Post #2 of 31 (587 views)
Shortcut
Most things relevant to Legolas in this film do not make sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

Waste of space…

In Reply To
When Tauriel says,"i thought you were an orc" it is evident that Legolas had his bow drawn first,why?
Did he too,think she was an orc?(Highly doubt it, how many beautiful red head orcs are there)lol
Why on MiddleEarth was he in an attacking stance? I mean seriously,it makes no sense.

Nira
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 3:18pm

Post #3 of 31 (543 views)
Shortcut
He was proving a point that she shouldn't go off alone. [In reply to] Can't Post

He obviously wasn't intending to shoot her.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Noria
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 3:37pm

Post #4 of 31 (531 views)
Shortcut
It makes complete sense, as Nira said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas said that if he had been an Orc, Tauriel would have been dead. It was just part of his "you can't go after thirty Orcs (or whatever) alone." stance.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 3:48pm

Post #5 of 31 (518 views)
Shortcut
It all made perfect sense. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 3:48pm

Post #6 of 31 (458 views)
Shortcut
Agreed// [In reply to] Can't Post

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 4:03pm

Post #7 of 31 (497 views)
Shortcut
It makes perfect sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not sure that constantly trying to pick holes in the story makes any sense at all.

Noria
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 4:04pm

Post #8 of 31 (439 views)
Shortcut
LOL Dormouse// [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 18 2014, 4:13pm

Post #9 of 31 (473 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but some people are less than enamoured with the non-canon characters [In reply to] Can't Post

… and are bitterly disappointed with the knock-on effects they are having on canon characters and story lines. Thorin, the major character in the story along with Bilbo and Gandalf, was barely visible in the film; Beorn, a key canon character, was shortchanged, as was Thranduil, in favour of banal, badly filmed and acted CGI action scenes involving Legolas. I am not 'constantly trying to pick holes in the story', but have real issues with Legolas in particular, and the way his addition has impacted the story. My arguments make as much 'sense' as do statements that DoS is faultless, etc., and I have a right to express my opinion.

In Reply To
But I'm not sure that constantly trying to pick holes in the story makes any sense at all.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 4:20pm

Post #10 of 31 (443 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Except substitute the non-canon Tauriel and her story arc as my primary issue. Wink

In Reply To
… and are bitterly disappointed with the knock-on effects they are having on canon characters and story lines. Thorin, the major character in the story along with Bilbo and Gandalf, was barely visible in the film; Beorn, a key canon character, was shortchanged, as was Thranduil, in favour of banal, badly filmed and acted CGI action scenes involving Legolas. I am not 'constantly trying to pick holes in the story', but have real issues with Legolas in particular, and the way his addition has impacted the story. My arguments make as much 'sense' as do statements that DoS is faultless, etc., and I have a right to express my opinion.

In Reply To

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 4:27pm

Post #11 of 31 (450 views)
Shortcut
No, you misunderstand me... [In reply to] Can't Post

My comment was addressed directly to a particular run of posts that keep cropping up, picking holes in often inconsequential moments in the film with no theme or thought pattern behind them - questions apparently coming up at random.

That's quite different from someone like yourself, with a clear line of objection to something in film which you very reasonably express in threads where it's relevant. You're not picking holes in the story, you're expressing your feelings about one particular storyline and of course you have a right to do that, when did I say you didn't? My post wasn't in answer to yours so I'm not sure why you've taken it so personally, but if you felt that it meant you, then I'm truly sorry.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 4:31pm

Post #12 of 31 (437 views)
Shortcut
Still doesn't change the fact... [In reply to] Can't Post

that including Legolas in Hobbit made perfect sense, given that part of it takes place in his father's realm. Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 18 2014, 4:32pm

Post #13 of 31 (428 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sorry, Dormouse – we normally do agree on things! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apologies for taking things the wrong way and thinking the comment was aimed at me (at least I have a bit of an excuse, in that I am recovering from an illness!). Please just ignore me and my blathering.

In Reply To
My comment was addressed directly to a particular run of posts that keep cropping up, picking holes in often inconsequential moments in the film with no theme or thought pattern behind them - questions apparently coming up at random.

That's quite different from someone like yourself, with a clear line of objection to something in film which you very reasonably express in threads where it's relevant. You're not picking holes in the story, you're expressing your feelings about one particular storyline and of course you have a right to do that, when did I say you didn't? My post wasn't in answer to yours so I'm not sure why you've taken it so personally, but if you felt that it meant you, then I'm truly sorry.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 4:34pm

Post #14 of 31 (401 views)
Shortcut
No problem! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 4:38pm

Post #15 of 31 (427 views)
Shortcut
My only issue with Legolas... [In reply to] Can't Post

is how he was portrayed. I personally have a hard time reconciling the DoS Legolas with the LoTR Legolas. Unsure

All things considered, I feel including Legolas in TH movies did more harm than good.

In Reply To
that including Legolas in Hobbit made perfect sense, given that part of it takes place in his father's realm. Wink

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2014, 4:51pm

Post #16 of 31 (389 views)
Shortcut
I didn't find him that much different. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2014, 5:19pm

Post #17 of 31 (387 views)
Shortcut
That's how I took it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was just part of his "you can't go after thirty Orcs (or whatever) alone." stance.

From his vantage point (which was similar to ours), he could see that she knew he was there and was slowly drawing her bow. Raising his own bow before she had time to turn around helped prove his point that it could just as easily have been an orc.

I can't think of a specific example from another movie atm, but it's basically the same as someone who's a better, or more seasoned fighter taking on a someone less experienced and ending up holding a knife to their throat or maneuvering them so they're on the groud with their arm behind their back. They don't intend to really harm them. They're just proving a point.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 5:35pm

Post #18 of 31 (373 views)
Shortcut
FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene in which Arwen finds Aragorn and the hobbits in the wilderness comes to mind.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 18 2014, 5:51pm

Post #19 of 31 (351 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I thought of that too [In reply to] Can't Post

"What's this? A Ranger, caught off his guard?" There is an apparent parallel between these two scenes- I don't know whether it was coincidence or intended, but the theme is the same.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 18 2014, 6:58pm

Post #20 of 31 (298 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Thyia
Bree

Jan 18 2014, 7:14pm

Post #21 of 31 (305 views)
Shortcut
Parallel... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I immediately thought this scene was absolutely intended to be a parallel of the Arwen/Aragorn scene in FOTR. Definitely the same theme. I enjoyed the interplay, he's teasing her, but also making his point.

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 8:51pm

Post #22 of 31 (261 views)
Shortcut
It made sence... but it was a bit sad [In reply to] Can't Post

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 9:23pm

Post #23 of 31 (241 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what the filmmakers are trying to accomplish by drawing parallels between so many different scenarios in the films. I suppose we will only really be able to know when we can watch all of them as a complete set.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 9:45pm

Post #24 of 31 (251 views)
Shortcut
He is pointing out that she is not paying attention to her surroundings [In reply to] Can't Post

If he had been an Orc, she would be dead.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 18 2014, 11:14pm

Post #25 of 31 (210 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are thinking that if some things worked in LOTR, they can use parallel scenes in the Hobbit, rather than trying to make up entirely new scenes?

In Reply To
I wonder what the filmmakers are trying to accomplish by drawing parallels between so many different scenarios in the films. I suppose we will only really be able to know when we can watch all of them as a complete set.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.