The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Which to read first: Children of Hurin or Silmarillion?//

Nira
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 10:53pm

Post #1 of 10 (417 views)
Shortcut
Which to read first: Children of Hurin or Silmarillion?// Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 11:03pm

Post #2 of 10 (284 views)
Shortcut
Personally Nira, I would say Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

...just to get the overview before you get the details on Turin.
But...
In any case: you can't go wrong. CoH is a quick read, and a pleasure. Sil *is* a bit slower going, as it is much more dense. So with that being said, you cannot really make a mistake. If you want to read a more 'story like' version of the Narn to start, CoH will do nicely. Some people see Sil as a bit of a project.
Let us know what you choose - and we *will* be discussing the CoH starting April 27th. So. If you get it read, you can join us!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Nira
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 11:13pm

Post #3 of 10 (248 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got COH for Christmas. I've heard more talk about Sil, though, so I wasn't sure.

A COH discussion would be great, perfect timing. Thanks for the info! Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jan 17 2014, 11:14pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 11:18pm

Post #4 of 10 (253 views)
Shortcut
You are welcome! Hope to see you there! [In reply to] Can't Post

And enjoy the read Nira - its a really good book.
ADDING: you can always look over the prior Sil discussions (Jan-Sept last year) to get a chapter overview either before or after you read one.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 17 2014, 11:19pm)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2014, 1:16am

Post #5 of 10 (232 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 3:19pm

Post #6 of 10 (214 views)
Shortcut
Seconded [In reply to] Can't Post

Read The Silmarillion first. It has background you will need to know.

Cillendor
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 6:25pm

Post #7 of 10 (217 views)
Shortcut
I read both at once. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a late bloomer with Tolkien and just started getting the non-movie books last year. Prior to Christmas I read up to the Narn, but completely by chance stopped there and picked up The Children of Húrin, which I'd gotten for Christmas. After reading it, I went back to The Silmarillion and realized how awesome my timing was.

imin
Valinor

Jan 25 2014, 6:55pm

Post #8 of 10 (154 views)
Shortcut
What about reading The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

and then adding The Children of Hurin and reading that when you get to that section of The Sil and then when finished going back to The Sil.

This is how i now read it and i find gives me the most enjoyment, though i first read the silmarillion then CoH as CoH wasn't realised at time of first reading The Sil.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Nira
Lorien

Jan 26 2014, 5:19am

Post #9 of 10 (147 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this read-both-at-once idea makes good sense. Thanks for the tips!// [In reply to] Can't Post

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 8 2014, 8:00pm

Post #10 of 10 (109 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

you should read Children of Hurin first, because then the Sil will connect all 3 of the famous tales (Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.