Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Ar-Pharazon Defies the Ban of the Valar

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 3 2007, 10:43pm

Post #1 of 3 (489 views)
Shortcut
Ar-Pharazon Defies the Ban of the Valar Can't Post

"They broke the Ban of the Valar, and sailed into forbidden seas, going up with war against the Deathless, to wrest from them everlasting life within the Circles of the World."

The Silmarillion

This scan isn't the best, and some of the detail was lost. Plus, there is some sort of "peppery" look on the light parts of the picture. I have no idea why that happened. It's not there in the original art. But the original art was too big to put on the scanner, so this was scanned from a copy of Mythlore.

I didn't try to do the eagle-shaped cloudbanks coming out of the West, because they would not have been distinguishable from the angle I chose, anyway. So I made the encroaching clouds more like an ominous wall.

I'm sure dangerously proud (and terrified of death) Ar-Pharazon would have been ticked off to the max to see that I gave him a receding hairline!

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 4 2007, 2:12am

Post #2 of 3 (319 views)
Shortcut
Compositionally, I think that this is the best one yet [In reply to] Can't Post

of yours. You manage to avoid the 'hair' problems of the others, since the characters here do have hair that, while fluffy, is reasonably long. I almost wish that there were more of the background, more of what we were sailing into - however, that said, a farther-out view leaves the characters' emotions harder to see, so it's a trade-off. I like in particular how Ar-Pharaz˘n and the leftmost man in the picture have that determined, angry look, while at the same time Pharaz˘n looks a little 'ugly' - in other words, his evil shows through him. Meanwhile, the man immediately behind Ar-Pharaz˘n looks more fearful of what he is heading into, while the wall of clouds to the right gives the impression of going into some terrible wrath. Very well done!

There are a few notes-

-The clouds immediately to the right of the ropes are lightened, possibly not to interfere with the ropes, but it's noticable.

-The structure behind which Ar-Pharaz˘n is standing is enigmatic - we don't see enough of it to know what it is, and as a result it is perplexing.

-The wall of clouds gives the image of a storm coming, but if that is the case then the sea looks awfully placid.

Anyhow, this is nice. Like I say, compositionally, I think that this is your best I have seen so far. Smile

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 6:52pm

Post #3 of 3 (375 views)
Shortcut
Interesting diagonals [In reply to] Can't Post

the upside down triangle meets at Ar-Pharazon's chest, a little too low for my taste as it draws too much attention to his ropy neck and away from his face. The receding hairline is a nice ironic touch. You see the age in his eyebrows as well.
I see the background person as the doubtful one, unlike Beren who sees doubt in the middle figure, who appears a little daydreamy to me. I like A-P's defiant stance and expression.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.