Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo Del Toro will direct The Hobbit!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

caesar

Jan 28 2008, 10:59pm

Post #1 of 31 (5159 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo Del Toro will direct The Hobbit! Can't Post

It's almost official, Guillermo Del Toro will direct The Hobbit.

During the projection of his movie El Orfanato, and more precisely during the debate with the audience, Del Toro said filled with joy, that he had been chosen to make The Hobbit!

Most information on the french site of Tolkien's fans: www.tolkien-universe.com

(This post was edited by caesar on Jan 28 2008, 11:02pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 28 2008, 11:24pm

Post #2 of 31 (3373 views)
Shortcut
Hiya ceasar. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's already a sizeable thread on this on the Movie board - click here to go over to it and take part in the discussion: http://newboards.theonering.net/...cgi?post=70258#70258

Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2008, 11:58pm

Post #3 of 31 (3255 views)
Shortcut
This one's actually interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

That site claims Del Toro already confirmed it in a The Orphange screening. Announcement tomorrow?

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 29 2008, 12:12am

Post #4 of 31 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Who? [In reply to] Can't Post

Never heard of the guy.......

Elven
Valinor

Jan 29 2008, 5:09am

Post #5 of 31 (3200 views)
Shortcut
Its not up on his fansites ... [In reply to] Can't Post

any confirmation as yet ... though, Im not sure whats official out there in the way of his sites ...

www.deltorofilms.com

still searchig ...

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 29 2008, 8:37am

Post #6 of 31 (3226 views)
Shortcut
I think this is pretty credible [In reply to] Can't Post

Ron Pearlman may indeed become part of this.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Elven
Valinor

Jan 29 2008, 11:32am

Post #7 of 31 (3198 views)
Shortcut
Nice Book Ends then ... [In reply to] Can't Post

if he does the
Mountains of Maddness 2010 Cool

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000579/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Perlman

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

magnucifer

Jan 29 2008, 2:13pm

Post #8 of 31 (3201 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost official, Guillermo Del Toro will direct The Hobbit.

During the projection of his movie El Orfanato, and more precisely during the debate with the audience, Del Toro said filled with joy, that he had been chosen to make The Hobbit!

Most information on the french site of Tolkien's fans:
www.tolkien-universe.com

In that case, I think it stinks... Mad
The guy has actually said that he loved "The Hobbit", but didn't like "The Lord of the Rings" at all.
That won't do. The project needs someone that really knows Middle Earth, specially if there's going to be a movie that binds "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" together.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 29 2008, 8:01pm

Post #9 of 31 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for those links [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read the "Mountain" story and was surprised there wasn't an existing film.

The book didn't cry out for Ron Pearlman to me but the script might.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2008, 10:49pm

Post #10 of 31 (3092 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* [In reply to] Can't Post

Pearlman as Thorin would be fabulous! But wherever he shows up (Beorn? Smaug's voice?), he's going to be such a great addition! I can't wait for Hellboy2. He'll also shorten the 6 degrees to Elijah game since he played wicked Pa to Elijah's Huck in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Diezmann
The Shire

Jan 29 2008, 11:45pm

Post #11 of 31 (3094 views)
Shortcut
We want to see Peter Jackson as The Hobbit films director! [In reply to] Can't Post

I support this opinion.
I'm praying for Peter Jackson to helm The Hobbit film. Peter is the best of all. Peter Jackson must be the director of this films.

Ich stehe hier und kann nicht anders

Bilbo the Rover
The Shire

Jan 30 2008, 12:23am

Post #12 of 31 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Viva Guillermo ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very happy and hoping that this is more than speculation ! He was my first pick if PJ or Fran couldn't helm the movie. I really think GDT understands the light and shade of "Faery"...what a wonderful choice for director !

Photobucket

Diezmann
The Shire

Jan 30 2008, 1:32am

Post #13 of 31 (3100 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my God! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's awful. It was a shock to learn of this decision - now Del Toro is the director of The Hobbit films. I'm crying.
Peter Jackson, why did you leave us?!
I will say no more.

Ich stehe hier und kann nicht anders

TintallŽ
Gondor

Jan 30 2008, 3:27am

Post #14 of 31 (3066 views)
Shortcut
Come now, dry your eyes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely it could not be any worse than break-dancing wizards. Or Sam leaving Frodo - leaving him alone with Gollum, no less. Or Faramir watching his men savagely beat Gollum. Or Faramir taking Frodo prisoner and taking the ring to his dad. Or glowing green ghosties. Or skull avalanches. Or, or, or. . .

Guillermo Del Toro did an amazing thing with Pan's Labyrinth. Give him a chance.

shortround
The Shire

Jan 30 2008, 6:21pm

Post #15 of 31 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo del Toro is a terrible director [In reply to] Can't Post

He has not directed a good movie yet. He has done some pretty movies but nothing that I would say good. Remember this is the guy who made such classics as Stuart Little, The Cisco Kid, Hellboy and mimic. This does not make me feel better about this choice. I think the first movie maybe ok but the second worries me if what I have read is true

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 2 2008, 5:16am)

Zmulady
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 6:35pm

Post #16 of 31 (2998 views)
Shortcut
hoping for the best [In reply to] Can't Post

if PJ isn't directing, will they still do a "how the movie was made" dvd like they did with the LOTR movies? Or an Extended Version for us geeks? I really hope so. I can not tell you how much I enjoyed watching these.

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 6:39pm

Post #17 of 31 (2997 views)
Shortcut
So? [In reply to] Can't Post

And Peter Jackson made Meet the Feebles and The Frighteners. Not exactly Oscar material there.

Voorhas
Lorien

Jan 30 2008, 8:53pm

Post #18 of 31 (3001 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see Stuart Little (parts 1 and 2 both directed by Rob Minkoff) or The Cisco Kid (the 1994 TV version, or the original 1950 film?) on his IMDB entry. Your source?

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

(This post was edited by Voorhas on Jan 30 2008, 8:56pm)

shortround
The Shire

Jan 30 2008, 10:01pm

Post #19 of 31 (3014 views)
Shortcut
I pasted that from another web page [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have been more careful.

Voorhas
Lorien

Jan 30 2008, 10:08pm

Post #20 of 31 (2973 views)
Shortcut
No Problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got worried when I saw the title Stuart Little.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

Farawyn
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 10:53pm

Post #21 of 31 (3000 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Jan 31 2008, 8:23am

Post #22 of 31 (2959 views)
Shortcut
No offense, but you know not whereof you speak. [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro is not a bad director, far from it - he's one of the top genre directors in the world. The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are two of the best, most beautiful movies of the new millemium.

GDT did not direct Stuart Little or The Cisco Kid. Mimic was a job for hire and atypical of his output. He gave it what little style and tension it had.

That he's made genre pictures - Cronos, Hellboy , Blade - shouldn't count against him. PJ had one art film and several offbeat, low budget horror films to his credit when he started lensing LOTR. Gosh, this reminds of the days of yore when I kept telling people that Jackson was an excellent director and no one thought he was worthy to touch anything connected with Middle Earth.

Since PJ cannot direct, Del Toro is a wonderful choice, and since he is a great admirer of PJ, they should work well together.

shortround
The Shire

Jan 31 2008, 4:51pm

Post #23 of 31 (2989 views)
Shortcut
I thought this was interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I copied that quote wrong about sturt little an cisco kid from idb.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 2 2008, 5:14am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2008, 6:08pm

Post #24 of 31 (2938 views)
Shortcut
OH YEAH! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can bet if Jackson's involved, I'd bet the farm that there will be making of dvds and even production diaries like for Kong AND an extended version. He knows there's a thirst for it, and he's as big a geek as we are. Yeah... I'm counting on extras and makings of and anything else that he can come up with :) Or... he'd better expect some fur to fly! ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Jan 31 2008, 9:31pm

Post #25 of 31 (2978 views)
Shortcut
Have you actually SEEN any of del Toro's movies?? [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear, you can't have it both ways. And you can't blame del Toro for the two movie idea. That was decided long before he came on board.

PJ is executive producer and as such essentially in charge of the concept of these films - two movies with The Hobbit as part 1 and part 2 whatever it becomes. These are his babies. PJ would've been in charge of two moviesl if he himself directed or if anyone else did. Del Toro is an excellent screenwriter himself, so he brings a strong sense of dramatic narrative to the project, which can only be a plus.

You're not alone in your concerns for the second movie. I know many of us are a bit puzzled about the dramatic arc of the two movie concept. But it is what it is and we have NO CONTROL over it whatsoever. The studio and PJ want two movies and that's what we're gonna get. At some point you just have to trust the filmmakers and let the creative team get on with it. No one will be trying to make a "bad" movie, and both PJ and (especially) del Toro have wide experience with original story work. We'll just have to wait and see. One point in the positive is that this time around they won't be trying to rework a two movie script into a three movie script - it'll be written as two movies from the start. Del Toro is a very organized filmmaker and tends to not add so much on the fly, as PJ did with LOTR. I think this will be a help.

With PJ not directing, I repeat: the best of all possible outcomes has occurred with the hiring of an outstanding director capable of creating screen magic.

The rest is up to PJ, the screenwriters and del Toro. Don't shorten your life worrying about things you can't change.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.