Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
After so long

Kili Son of Dis
The Shire

Jan 17 2014, 11:52am

Post #1 of 21 (1204 views)
Shortcut
After so long Can't Post

What are your characters in the book and in what movie?

Also what are the best characterized and characters according to you that seem to come from the book ?

My favorite characters in the book and the movie are Beorn and Kili . Beorn is my favorite character ever , as far as I know in DOS'EE you will see a lot more and I'm happy . I really like the design of the character is in the form of man to bear, albeit different from the description of Tolkien, I think it's a novelty, a novelty that fascinates me and I love it . And I like it just as the characterization and history of the character, and the right to expand its scope and character of the basic like him.

Kili is my other favorite . In the book I really liked the fact that Fili and Kili were young people in the shipment and some scouts of the company. In the film, the characterization of Kili is wider , just to give prominence to the youth and enthusiasm of the character. From my point of view , the first time I saw " The Desolation of Smuag " I have a little crooked nose because of the events with Tauriel . I saw the movie two more times after the first, and I must say that my perspective has changed. Kili Tauriel speaks with his mother , and long ago I heard an interview with Evangeline Lilly who spoke characterization elf warrior .She spoke of the fact that Tauriel is an orphan when a child, his parents were killed by orcs (which in the film is not called) and it is for this that I think you fond of Kili. Becomes a sort of patron and wants to ensure that the promise made to his mother Dis, become a reality. At the same time I think the scene where they hold hands a little exaggerated, but from my point of view, it remains a relationship of affection and protection, certainly to expand the character of Kili.

The character that I think most of all reflects what is in the book is Bilbo. Martin Freeman brings to the screen a perfect performance in all respects.

Your favorite characters instead? hello to everyone!

"Many who live deserve death, and many of those that die deserve life. You are able to assess, Frodo? Do not be too eager to bestow death and judgment. Even the wisest do not know all the outcomes."

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 12:51pm

Post #2 of 21 (486 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Galandriel [In reply to] Can't Post

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 1:19pm

Post #3 of 21 (484 views)
Shortcut
thoramir and gandaldriel [In reply to] Can't Post

or maybe brodo and pipoin

but i do love tom bombur

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 1:33pm

Post #4 of 21 (455 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf in the book, Smaug in the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although movie Gandalf is also great. But man...they really knocked Smaug's design and voice out of the park.

Honourable mentions go to Bilbo and movie Balin, who is better than book Balin. Many other great portrayals though - Gollum, Bard, Beorn, Thranduil, Bofur, Thorin (though I can't say enough times that the latter two really should have had long beards befitting Dwarves).

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 1:54pm

Post #5 of 21 (449 views)
Shortcut
Fili and Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello to you too, Kili Son of Dis!

Like you, my favorites from The Hobbit book were the youngsters--probably because I was so young when I first read the book and I could relate to them best. They don't have too many moments in the book to distinguish them from one another, so I always kind of thought of them as one unit: FiliandKili. Wink In the movies I think Fili gets cheated a bit in terms of screen time, but I hope (not in vain, please, PJ!!) that will be rectified in TABA. Movie-Kili kind of reminds me of a playful, half-grown puppy--but that's okay. I like puppies! There is an innocence about them that is rather endearing.

I was pleasantly surprised with Beorn in DOS. I was a little worried the CGI would be over the top, but the actor (I think his eyes in man-form characterize him best) did a fabulous job of grounding Beorn in Middle-earth. I'm really looking forward to not only seeing more of him in the DOS EE but in TABA too.

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 2:09pm

Post #6 of 21 (440 views)
Shortcut
Mines are... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book my favorite characters are Fili, Kili, Bilbo and the Elvenking.

In the movie it's still all of those and Bofur.
Bofur because he's just a name in the book isn't he? There isn't much to love. However in the movie he's got this lovely personality and character design, not to mention such a charming actor.

Fili and Kili have been my top favorite ones in the book since I first read it back in 2002. They are two of the few dwarves being mentioned more than once and given a litttttle bit more to go on. I liked their youthfulness and their role in the Company.
Then the movies came and I don't see "hot dwarves." I see these two, young and charming youngsters that are out on a real journey for the first time. They are wide eyed, but good fighters and so loyal. And Aidan and Dean has just made them so endearing. I care so much for them and we all know why. Unsure

Bilbo is very endearing both book and movie too. He's got these quirks and traits that are hard not to like. His love for his home, yet his loyalty to the dwarves and his good heart. Martin makes a character that was already Gold even better.

Thranduil wasn't really a favorite in the book, but I liked him. I was fascinated with him. I liked that you had this elf that was on the good side, but was a bit off putting. But I think he got character developement despite the small role. He seems harsh to begin with, but you see his softer side at the end.
Lee Pace is amazing. Can't take my eyes off him because he just pulls you right in. Very captivating character in the movie.

That being said I love pretty much all characters in these movies to me this is one part that makes the book better for me. I love Smaug, I love Bard, I have even become more fasincated with Thorin and I've never really liked him to begin with.

What I do love about the movies is that I can now go back and read the Hobbit and enjoy it more because now these dwarves have characters and personalities that I can picture as I read. They are no longer just names to me.

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 17 2014, 2:20pm

Post #7 of 21 (422 views)
Shortcut
Kili! [In reply to] Can't Post

Book faves are Kili and Fili
Movie faves...uhh...I'm picking 4! Kili, Thorin, Tauriel, Fili....not in any particular order Tongue

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 2:30pm

Post #8 of 21 (419 views)
Shortcut
Favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Book: Elrond, Gandalf, Bilbo
Movie: Bilbo, Thorin, Thranduil

I second the sentiments of those who wish to see more of Fili in TABA. Hope to see more of him in DOS EE.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 3:07pm

Post #9 of 21 (432 views)
Shortcut
Since probably No one will pick... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur?
Bomby will...

(That Fat Kid?... No One picks for Basketball)

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 17 2014, 3:09pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 4:01pm

Post #10 of 21 (361 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Book: Gandalf and Beorn. I would also have said Bilbo, though I always felt he didn't cover himself in glory in the book…

Films: Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf and Smaug. Also probably Beorn, Bard and Thranduil, although not enough of them was shown to confirm this – they are certainly visualised extremely well.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jan 17 2014, 4:02pm)

IDLookout
Rivendell

Jan 17 2014, 4:10pm

Post #11 of 21 (345 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Book: Beorn and Bilbo

Movie: Balin and Bilbo

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 4:16pm

Post #12 of 21 (351 views)
Shortcut
mine [In reply to] Can't Post

Book favorite - Thorin, I like his cantankerousness. Found myself cheering him on. Except for the dwarves, either I found everyone else's behavior open to question or just wasn't filled out enough for me - tho I found myself feeling for Bilbo, time and again.

Movie favorites - Thorin. Thorin. Did I say majestic, magnificent, Thorin? Bilbo. Balin. Those are my top three, but I love all the dwarves, esp. Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Bofur, and Bifur. And most recently Thranduil got added to the favorites list along with Beorn. Honorable mentions to Smaug and Bard.

Best characterized according to the book? Bilbo and Gandalf, I guess. That's hard as I deliberately avoided re-reading the book so my memory is pretty fuzzy. But I remember parts here and there where in the movie Bilbo and Gandalf IMO evoke the book characters, especially the charm of Bilbo. And the way Balin, Gloin, and Thranduil are in appearance, if not the actual portrayal.

bowencm
Rivendell

Jan 17 2014, 9:48pm

Post #13 of 21 (230 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jan 17 2014, 10:14pm

Post #14 of 21 (234 views)
Shortcut
From the book IN the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

From the book, by FAR is Martin Freeman as Bilbo. Such a spot-on presentation of Tolkien!

Favorites from the movies. Dwarves! Bombur gets significant moments, he never got in the book. No lines, but he is ALL over DOS, especially.

Bofur A dwarf who was barely in the book. Love the characterization.

Dori Take "he was the strongest of the dwarves", and make him a mother hen! Love it!

FiliandKili: Gonna HATE the end!

Nira
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 10:46pm

Post #15 of 21 (219 views)
Shortcut
mine [In reply to] Can't Post

book: Balin, Nori, Bilbo
movie: Bilbo, Bofur, Balin

Smaug and Bard were also very well done in DOS.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jan 17 2014, 10:48pm)

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Jan 17 2014, 11:19pm

Post #16 of 21 (212 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if I ever had a book favorite... [In reply to] Can't Post

but if I had to choose, it would probably be Gollum, but I'm not sure.

As for the movies, that's easy: Thorin (obviously), Balin, Bilbo, Gollum, Smaug and Gandalf.

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Jan 18 2014, 4:20am

Post #17 of 21 (185 views)
Shortcut
Favorite characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always afraid that when I say this I'll get crucified, but I really didn't care for the book. Almost none of the characters were well-developed enough for me to care much about them. But the movie, well that's a different story! For starters I've fallen in love with Richard Armitage, so Thorin shouldn't be included in this - wouldn't be fair! First time I saw Martin Freeman's picture, knowing nothing about him, I said "that guy is Bilbo!" Ori is a great character, he's so funny! I understand that they re-wrote the part for Adam Brown, and that was a good choice! Also like that badass Dwalin. Fili, Kili, Bofur & Bombur have some funny parts, and Dean O'Gorman impressed me in DoS. Definitely liked Tauriel, Thranduil and Bard, but all of them put together don't equal Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis. If ANYONE other than Ian McKellan played Gandalf, I would never have seen the movie. Same with Andy Serkis, but since Gollum is CGI that wasn't such a concern. So, I guess Gandalf and Gollum are my favorite characters.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 2:10pm

Post #18 of 21 (123 views)
Shortcut
My favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite book character has to be Frodo. Favorite film character is a tie between Frodo and Bilbo, but due to Martin Freeman's amazing portrayal, Bilbo just slightly edges Frodo.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 18 2014, 4:16pm

Post #19 of 21 (113 views)
Shortcut
My favorites... [In reply to] Can't Post

First, hello and welcome! Smile

Book (LoTR): Gandalf, Pippin, Sam, Galadriel
Movie (LoTR): Gandalf, Pippin, Legolas, Galadriel, Sam, Boromir

Book (Hobbit): Bilbo, Gandalf, Elvenking, Beorn, Elrond
Movie (Hobbit): Thranduil (Elvenking), Bilbo, Gandalf, Balin

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 18 2014, 4:17pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 18 2014, 10:27pm

Post #20 of 21 (78 views)
Shortcut
My favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

Book: Gandalf, Bilbo, Beorn
Movies: Gandalf, Bilbo, Balin, Bard

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 18 2014, 10:49pm

Post #21 of 21 (84 views)
Shortcut
Thorin? Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess for the book I would have to say Bilbo or Thorin...they had the most (only?) character development. Don't hate me! It's just that Tolkien didn't really give the dwarves their own looks and personality, yeah some of them lit the fires and Fili and Kili were always together and such, but I didn't connect with any of them.

For the movie, oh gosh, how do I choose?! I love a man with personality, I guess. :P I like Bofur a lot, but there is a place in my heart for each and every one of them. I'm female so, yeah, Kili and Fili have a very special place, but I like that the actors really made them their own. Ori is precious, isn't he?! I also like that they kept the family ties. Thorin, Fili, and Kili's relationship I really like because it's complicated, but Nori, Ori, and Dori are so fun! I like that the actors came up with the idea that they all had different fathers!

"Yar a wizard Peeta!" - Gandalf

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.