Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Race scaling visual effects

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 3:13am

Post #1 of 21 (778 views)
Shortcut
Race scaling visual effects Can't Post

I think one of the most impressive effects in this new set of films is the absolutely flawless integration of scaled actors in the same shot. There are too many to point out, but one great example is the shot where Gandalf is counting up the Dwarves at Bag End. They happen frequently in DOS, and it's clear that the techniques used to achieve the illusion are vastly improved (and different) from their 2001 counterparts, which I still love. To anyone who has the blu ray, do they go into any detail on how many of these shots were achieved?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 3:16am

Post #2 of 21 (400 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

They certainly do, and I enjoyed watching the demonstrations and explanations and hearing the stories about the process.

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 3:39am

Post #3 of 21 (363 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, guess I'll be picking it up then [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 4:06am

Post #4 of 21 (349 views)
Shortcut
The EE BluRay, that is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't speak for the TE BluRay.

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 4:15am

Post #5 of 21 (332 views)
Shortcut
That's the one I'd like to get anyways! [In reply to] Can't Post

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 7:23am

Post #6 of 21 (303 views)
Shortcut
They are on the video blogs.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... Ian McLellan in separate room against a green screen with a slave camera linked to the main camera for single shot effect. Ian hated it (beng by himself for thse scenes,and it was very fiddly) but it worked very well. It is all explained so go the the AUJ offical site to see how it is done.

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 7:40am

Post #7 of 21 (295 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

I never want to see how such things are done :D
It destroys the illussion. I rather see the result than go to sites that explain everything.
ha ha

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 7:53am

Post #8 of 21 (283 views)
Shortcut
But you did ask the question... [In reply to] Can't Post

.."do they go into any detail on how, many of these shots were achieved" and the answer is yes they did.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 8:03am

Post #9 of 21 (280 views)
Shortcut
No, Rickster didn't ask this, Bishop did. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of the problems that comes from not using the Threaded mode that this site was set up for, and which makes it easier to respond to the message you meant to.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 12:15pm

Post #10 of 21 (256 views)
Shortcut
The Scaling of different characters in jus' one scene [In reply to] Can't Post

"BagEnd"
is why Bomby feels
DoS... should Win an Oscar
for Visual Effects..

GroundBreaking work
No other FILM had to deal with THAT?

Bomby

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 12:54pm

Post #11 of 21 (239 views)
Shortcut

i was already thinking what i had for drinking .. ha ha

In Reply To
This is one of the problems that comes from not using the Threaded mode that this site was set up for, and which makes it easier to respond to the message you meant to.

(This post was edited by Rickster on Jan 17 2014, 12:54pm)

MTRougeau
Bree

Jan 17 2014, 3:49pm

Post #12 of 21 (214 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no Bag End scene is DOS?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 3:58pm

Post #13 of 21 (220 views)
Shortcut
Opps? Bard handing out the Weapons? or [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's Lodge, where he is Pouring Milk to Fili
and Then Ori?

These Movies are Running in
Bomby's Head as
One movie
already?

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 8:46pm

Post #14 of 21 (168 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...my pathetic computer and browser is not very god at showing threads so the flat mode is the only way that really works without (the slow!!!) opening of new windows. I away assume (wrongly) replies to me are from replies to them if you see swat I mean!!!!!!

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 18 2014, 10:15pm

Post #15 of 21 (101 views)
Shortcut
They do [In reply to] Can't Post

In the extended edition blue ray, they go into GREAT detail on how they do this. See, the biggest different between The Hobbit and TLotR is 3D. With 3D, they could no long set the taller actor in the foreground (closer to the camera) and the smaller character in the back ground (further from the camera). The 3D would show the distance and just plainly not work.

So, here's what they did. For Bag End, they made the set to fit Bilbo and the dwarves. Those actors were going about their scene as if Gandalf was there, BUT he wasn't. All of the actors had ear pieces in their ears that allowed them to hear Ian who was on another set. Now, in his set, he was placed in a green screen Bag End that was built smaller then him. He had windows, the chandelier, the tables, etc. they were all just scaled down and all green. He too had an ear piece so he could hear all the dwarves over on their set. They would call action and ALL the actors would go about the scene as if they were all together and the images would blend for Peter who was watching in his tent. So for him, he was seeing Gandalf in Bag End with all of the dwarves bustling around. They also did this in Beorn's Lodge and in Bards house. Very cool!

Here's the problem though. The poor actor who was all alone was, well all alone. So, they decided they would get sticks that had the dwarves faces on them and a light so Ian could look at the person that was talking in the scene. The light above their picture would light up and he could move his focus over to them. It was very hard for Ian though, he has said he almost wanted to just quite. It truly is amazing how far they've come! BUT, Peter did say that for most of Ian's scene, they used a box for him or the dwarves were on their knees.

(This post was edited by Ellanara on Jan 18 2014, 10:19pm)

Bishop
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 3:58am

Post #16 of 21 (72 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Ellanara for taking the time to write up that detailed description. It really is amazing. I can understand how it must have been maddening for Ian McKellen (who I just saw in a play with Patrick Stewart today Smile). Staring at Dwarf faces with lights blinking must have been very strange. But I'm glad he stuck with it, as the effects are truly astonishing. It reminds of the same kind of innovation as the cave troll sequence, where they achieved the look of a hand held camera with a fully CG creature. Well before the tracking software we have today, and cutting edge for the time.

There are surprising moments too, like Gandalf walking away from the Dwarves in a wide shot outdoors. And just when you think to yourself "that's just a stand in" he turns around and you see his face clearly.

Anyways, thanks again. I do appreciate it.

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 19 2014, 8:16am

Post #17 of 21 (64 views)
Shortcut
You don't need a DVD... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is there on the video blogs (on u-tube); forget which one though.

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 19 2014, 8:29pm

Post #18 of 21 (50 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf had a scale double as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot this part. There is man that is 7 feet tall that was his double in fast pace scenes. Scenes where they're running or Gandalf has his back turned away and the dwarves have close ups.

"Yar a wizard Peeta!" - Gandalf

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 19 2014, 9:47pm

Post #19 of 21 (42 views)
Shortcut
I always say the same thing whenever Flat/Threaded is debated... [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea that flat is "confusing"... never understood that one since we have the In Reply To function on Flat. However, it would seem that many Flat-users are unaware of it's existance or just forgets using it. I use it all the time, it's a great function, because it would take a lot to make me change from Flat to Threaded Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 19 2014, 9:48pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 19 2014, 10:39pm

Post #20 of 21 (38 views)
Shortcut
Me, too, and I was used to 'threaded' from the old boards. [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't like the idea at first, but I use 'Flat' all the time now! I don't need to click 'In reply to' often, but I really like having the option. I might occasionally switch over to 'Threaded' when I'm curious to see how much activity a subthread has, but hardly ever.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2014, 6:15pm

Post #21 of 21 (31 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on this, [In reply to] Can't Post

I use flat mode exclusively, but use the In Reply To function constantly.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.