Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS loses its IMAX and theaters in my area this weekend - that's it then, it's over
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 10:41pm

Post #1 of 39 (849 views)
Shortcut
DOS loses its IMAX and theaters in my area this weekend - that's it then, it's over Can't Post

I know, from various posts a lot of folks lost DOS from local theaters a lot sooner. Guess I was hoping for one last IMAX viewing this weekend - and I'd feel better if it was some spectacular blockbuster coming in, something WORTHY of a theater I spent so many happy hours in watching DOS. But no.

Let the long wait for the DVD/BR begin.Unimpressed

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2014, 10:46pm

Post #2 of 39 (503 views)
Shortcut
It's gonna be ugly [In reply to] Can't Post

It's losing over 1200 from its 3000 theaters this weekend. For comparison, AUJ lost about 700 on the same weekend.

*all numbers from North America

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 10:49pm

Post #3 of 39 (427 views)
Shortcut
still here [In reply to] Can't Post

In all major cinema's several times a day.
The Hague - Holland/Netherlands

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 16 2014, 10:52pm

Post #4 of 39 (391 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Here too [In reply to] Can't Post

It's even going to continue in 3-D at a few theaters, but no more IMAX HFR 3-D. Oh well, it was awesome while it lasted!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 39 (377 views)
Shortcut
IMAX 3d in one more theater for another week [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know, from various posts a lot of folks lost DOS from local theaters a lot sooner. Guess I was hoping for one last IMAX viewing this weekend - and I'd feel better if it was some spectacular blockbuster coming in, something WORTHY of a theater I spent so many happy hours in watching DOS. But no.

Let the long wait for the DVD/BR begin.Unimpressed

One theatre I know of NYC is holding onto iMAX 3D for one more week, but my local (cruddy) theatre will lose 2d DoS after tonight.

I might catch one more 2D screening tomorrow in NYC, but almost 6 weeks in IMAX is a good run here, especially in today's market.

Sorry you're losing it Avandel.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 11:01pm

Post #6 of 39 (387 views)
Shortcut
Not in my neck of the woods... [In reply to] Can't Post

since it's still going strong. It may move out of our newest theater in about a week or two, but then it just moves to our cheapest theater (which only costs about $4.50 for matinees). I'm unsure if it will be the "last chance" movie of the week next week (which has reduced pricing), but even if it is, it may just be a night showing and I'll have to wait until it moves to the other theater for another viewing (since I don't have a vehicle, I can only go to matinees). This Sunday afternoon will be my fifth viewing (all in 3D, due to the fact that I don't see the 2D version until it changes theaters). Even last year with AUJ, it was playing right until the week the DVD/Blu-ray was released (meaning the theatrical version, not the Extended Edition).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 11:09pm

Post #7 of 39 (348 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, I'm greedy I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see it a lot....there are just so many scenes in this film I love seeing again, and just love this IMAX - the seat-and-chest rumbling sound system drowns out the rude types, and a huge clear screen so those closeups are amazing, shots of Laketown, Dol Guldur, the High Fells, Erebor, the fire blasts so epic.

Feels like it's been a really fun ride, from the double midnight showing w. all the fans to more viewings w. friends and alone - made the holidays "extended" for sure. And I really want DOS to get its billion, just because.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 11:17pm

Post #8 of 39 (343 views)
Shortcut
don't have a "close" cheaper theater ): [In reply to] Can't Post

they are around me, but it's kind of road trip. On the other hand, I might decide "just once more" when I think about the long wait for the DVD/BR, and even longer wait for the EE version. Last year, when the first rumors of trailer #2 started, I wouldn't believe it, there had been no news for so long (and of course I freaked when I hit the link that day and there it was - happily the movie was everything trailer 2 promised in greatness IMO).

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 11:20pm

Post #9 of 39 (340 views)
Shortcut
My last chance was today... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. it's still on (2D or ordinary 3D) but I can't fit in another day. And guess what - I ended up with an emergency dental appointment instead! So now I've just waiting for the DVD..... Unimpressed

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 11:28pm

Post #10 of 39 (314 views)
Shortcut
It's still playing in my area in IMAX until the 23rd! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 11:29pm

Post #11 of 39 (314 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for the dentist part - sorry to hear that *wince*. Maybe a little clove oil for the pain? Hope it was taken care of *another wince* - you need Oin, LOL.

No way I can go today, that's why I was checking re weekend. Yes, the wait for the DVD begins, at least for me.
Unless I can afford to go to Asia for February openings - not.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 12:43am

Post #12 of 39 (284 views)
Shortcut
In my area it is getting down to 1 to 3 show times max. [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting, Hunger Games and Frozen are still running.

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 17 2014, 12:49am

Post #13 of 39 (284 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
since it's still going strong. It may move out of our newest theater in about a week or two, but then it just moves to our cheapest theater (which only costs about $4.50 for matinees). I'm unsure if it will be the "last chance" movie of the week next week (which has reduced pricing), but even if it is, it may just be a night showing and I'll have to wait until it moves to the other theater for another viewing (since I don't have a vehicle, I can only go to matinees). This Sunday afternoon will be my fifth viewing (all in 3D, due to the fact that I don't see the 2D version until it changes theaters). Even last year with AUJ, it was playing right until the week the DVD/Blu-ray was released (meaning the theatrical version, not the Extended Edition).Smile

You probably keep it in theaters Tongue
It's still here in my town, though it doesn't have quite as many showtimes as it used to Unimpressed
I wish I could see it 5 times UnsureSmileSmileSmile

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 1:08am

Post #14 of 39 (300 views)
Shortcut
Is this normal? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a normal IMAX-goer so I'm just genuinely curious if this always happens to movies. They just have their run for a while then just stick with normal 2D showings in regular theaters?

Well, at least we probably only have to wait til around March for DVD/blu-ray! (I hope!)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 1:17am

Post #15 of 39 (272 views)
Shortcut
still here too [In reply to] Can't Post

the largest cinema in Oslo even have the massive posters and decorations in front of the theater up still Sly Not to mention the tv channels still shows tv spots a month later (though it's probably stopping now).

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 1:35am

Post #16 of 39 (258 views)
Shortcut
Great to read that ! [In reply to] Can't Post

UEJ EE is no longer for sale though
Not in any shop in the country *Netherlands). Special isn't it

It will not be either they say. When you own it.. you have something unique.. The CD and DVD Blue Ray got sold out around Sinterklaas (5 dec) and Christmas.

In Reply To
the largest cinema in Oslo even have the massive posters and decorations in front of the theater up still Sly Not to mention the tv channels still shows tv spots a month later (though it's probably stopping now).

Thyia
Bree

Jan 17 2014, 1:54am

Post #17 of 39 (253 views)
Shortcut
:( [In reply to] Can't Post

As of tomorrow, it leaves my closest theatre. It's still playing in 2D for limited showings over the next 7 days in a further away theatre, and is still in 3D HFR at another (yet further away) theatre. I managed two showings last weekend (including my 1st in HFR which was awesome). The good news around here, is that in about 3-5 weeks, our IMAX which is connected to a museum, will begin to show it. Largest screen in the province, and I'm really looking forward to that. And the DVD will come out soon after. Is there a definitive date for the DVD release yet?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 2:24am

Post #18 of 39 (242 views)
Shortcut
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad you liked the HFR...some don't take to it.

Lucky for me, Hobbit is hanging on in my two nearest theatres, so I will probably see it again this weekend.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 2:33am

Post #19 of 39 (244 views)
Shortcut
bet an IMAX connected to a museum is incredible [In reply to] Can't Post

compared to my commercial one. IMO they could not have a better film (well, maybe AUJ) on a screen like that. I haven't given any thought to the DVD re the February release in Japan and China sounds like it may be a while Unsure April/May maybe?

I shouldn't complain, re seeing it so many times. Like AUJ or a great book they just seem to be something to see over, and over. So many of my DVDs just sit gathering dust.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 3:01am

Post #20 of 39 (253 views)
Shortcut
my impression [In reply to] Can't Post

at least for "my" IMAX yes - they don't hold movies in the IMAX that long, re the ticket price I guess. If the IMAX isn't filling up enough with a movie they put in something else - for me Jack Ryan this weekend - and may leave a movie for a while in a smaller, 2D theater. So actually DOS' run in the my local IMAX was very impressive - there were times I went hoping there would be LESS people, and usually w. the IMAX that's a good plan, but only this past week or so did I notice a real drop in numbers. People didn't seem to care about the cost at all.

But DOS is losing even the 2D theater though there may be a few shows - as is Hunger Games, etc. They seem to be making room for all the new releases - but I might look around and see what I can find - maybe a road trip.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 3:09am

Post #21 of 39 (231 views)
Shortcut
I caught the last showing at the local IMAX this afternoon. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're showing Jack Ryan now. I think DoS will be at the local multiplex at least through the weekend, but I really don't want to see it on a smaller screen after experiencing IMAX Smaug in all his calamitous glory.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 3:31am

Post #22 of 39 (257 views)
Shortcut
Why is US so harsh on this? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Norway it's still going strong Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 5:15am

Post #23 of 39 (219 views)
Shortcut
Probably just the number of new releases coming out...some are [In reply to] Can't Post

action, 3D type films...I Frankenstein, etc.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 17 2014, 5:16am)

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 5:22am

Post #24 of 39 (222 views)
Shortcut
well, you know us Americans [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not about the movie, it's about how many snacks you can sell. At least in my area when DOS first came out, every theater was running it, multiple shows, all different kinds of theaters - it was really saturated. So I think with everyone back to work after the holidays, the biggest demographic to attract is a younger crowd who probably want to see the next big thing. Too bad there isn't much to see, from the looks of it - but IMO January and February are usually pretty dismal re movie releases in the U.S.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 17 2014, 6:06am

Post #25 of 39 (194 views)
Shortcut
sad to see it go out of IMAX! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going out for us this weekend, but at least it's still showing in regular 2D in the smaller screens. So there's still hope I can keep going (seen it 10 times already) for a while longer!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.