Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why didn't Thorin and Gandalf confront the suspicous Breeman?

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 5:18pm

Post #1 of 18 (820 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't Thorin and Gandalf confront the suspicous Breeman? Can't Post

Whilst they are talking there are two Breeman, watching intently, in on their conversation and they do nothing.Why didn't they say "What on Middle-Earth are you eavesdropping about?" Or at least say something.They made it obvious to the whole inn that they were skulking around like bumbling bufoons,.I think i caught the Hobbit and the Dwarf at the table in front whisper to each other,who the hell are these two cliched, evil spies standing around in the OPEN! lol

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:23pm

Post #2 of 18 (451 views)
Shortcut
There was no need [In reply to] Can't Post

The pair backed off and didn't try anything again. There was no need to confront them.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:29pm

Post #3 of 18 (452 views)
Shortcut
I don't know that they even saw them. [In reply to] Can't Post

And if they did, why make a fuss in public if you don't need to? Why create problems that don't exist? (Think about it)

Faleel
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 5:34pm

Post #4 of 18 (419 views)
Shortcut
You [In reply to] Can't Post

You sound like Saruman ;)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:54pm

Post #5 of 18 (401 views)
Shortcut
Both noticed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin went for his sword.

Gandalf turned to watch them walk out.

This is how Azog found out where Thorin was,
But Delivering this Message
to "Pale Orcy Guy"
probably meant they were killed
somewhere in the Wild.

Bad Guys never reveal their sources?

This explains Gandalf's Question
"Who did you tell?"

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 6:55pm

Post #6 of 18 (321 views)
Shortcut
Still, much better to keep cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

Making a fuss would have been dangerous and counterproductive. I agree with dormouse.

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 7:53pm

Post #7 of 18 (312 views)
Shortcut
it might be in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps they wait outside and a fight is fought... we will see in EE

In Reply To
Whilst they are talking there are two Breeman, watching intently, in on their conversation and they do nothing.Why didn't they say "What on Middle-Earth are you eavesdropping about?" Or at least say something.They made it obvious to the whole inn that they were skulking around like bumbling bufoons,.I think i caught the Hobbit and the Dwarf at the table in front whisper to each other,who the hell are these two cliched, evil spies standing around in the OPEN! lol

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2014, 9:11pm

Post #8 of 18 (247 views)
Shortcut
Their heads will get chopped off, to see in the EE. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 9:25pm

Post #9 of 18 (234 views)
Shortcut
They left [In reply to] Can't Post

And they looked like losers, anyway. People in it for a quick buck - and stupid, if they think they were going to take on a dwarf with a great big sword who knew they were coming.

For me one of the best things was Thorin reaching for his sword with a grim, but almost disgusted look - a poor tired dwarf can't even eat his bread and cheese in peace.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2014, 9:28pm

Post #10 of 18 (239 views)
Shortcut
They didn't have any apples to waste throwing at them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is the only appropriate response to a Ferny.

(One of them is credited as Bill Ferny, Sr. in case you didn't know)

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 12:01am

Post #11 of 18 (190 views)
Shortcut
It is possible that they were not from Bree but were some of the [In reply to] Can't Post

questionable characters that came up the Greenway noted in The LOTR. Maybe men who lived close enough to Dol Guldur who were recruited as spies.

Wiki - Part of the North-South Road, between Bree (at the junction of the Great East Road) and the southern end of Andrath, was known as the Greenway because, at the end of the Third Age, it was little used and had become covered with grass.

Then again, they may have been simple ruffians looking for an easy mark. My feeling is that they were eyes and ears in the employ of one of Sauron's minions. Though I doubt they would be dealing with Azog.

Bill Ferny, in the LOTR, was an agent of Saruman...maybe it was a family business going back to his grandfather? Would Saruman the White have used such characters at that time?

The whole scene was right out of a Western. Mysterious stranger enters the saloon, all eyes stare at him, soon enough some local toughs want to rough him up...bang, bang!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2la06bUns
High Plains Drifter Bar Scene

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 17 2014, 12:15am)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 17 2014, 1:41am

Post #12 of 18 (159 views)
Shortcut
and the other was Squint... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as in "the squint-eyed southerner" from The Fellowship of th Ring."

Btw - I would have preferred a more subtlety in the execution of that scene. The threat to Thorin was a little too obvious...

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 5:30am

Post #13 of 18 (129 views)
Shortcut
looking for a quick buck [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I think they were losers who somehow got wind they could make some quick cash if they took out Thorin. Reasonable enough for people like that to have followed him in a town like Bree w. people coming and going. But not real great criminals - just thugs. And I think they knew who Gandalf was, the way they took off.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2014, 6:54am

Post #14 of 18 (140 views)
Shortcut
LOTR was more subtle... TH is a little too obvious in some ways [In reply to] Can't Post

This is perhaps not a direct response to your question, but I thought that LOTR did a good job of being subtle when it came to things like this. Bree is one example where in LOTR, you could tell which guys in the Inn were the shady ones even without the camera zooming in on them and the music turning all scary. I guess that's why neither Gandalf nor Thorin confronted them. They were a plot device to ramp up the tension and tell the audience they were the bad guys. They weren't there to add anything else to the narrative Unimpressed

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 7:34am

Post #15 of 18 (119 views)
Shortcut
Very much so... [In reply to] Can't Post

They were about as subtle as PJ' cameo! Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Jan 17 2014, 2:45pm

Post #16 of 18 (100 views)
Shortcut
Why Thorin, not Gandalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I do love that scene, and I think Thorin suspected he was being followed before entering the Prancing Pony. As far as confronting them, though, why bother? They got up and left. MY question is, why were they okay picking on a short guy with a big sword, but scared off by an old gray pilgrim with no sword? Seems like a short guy with a sword would be a bigger threat, unless they knew about Gandalf's staff - deadly weapon that is!

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 4:47pm

Post #17 of 18 (91 views)
Shortcut
think they knew him [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf wandered about a lot, even people in the Shire knew who he was, and I am sure people in Bree did. I think the movie implied they were fearful of the wizard and weren't about to attack someone like that (who could, potentially, turn them into frogs...) Even the scene alludes to Gandalf's power "they mistook me for a vagabond"......"I imagine they regretted that".

Which explains why these guys just took off looking scared. Also as with Laketown I imagine a lot of the Bree folk are simple common folk, wary of magic and those associated with it.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2014, 5:43pm

Post #18 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Very few people actually knew what Gandalf was.... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, they probably were aware of this odd fellow who had stories following him. I think they knew that he was more than his appearance but what that was they were clueless. It also possible Gandalf was able to send them a very clear non-physical message...Buzz off! Maybe he could cause fear when so inclined.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 17 2014, 5:45pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.