Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit nominated for 3 Oscars
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Annatar598
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 96 (1870 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit nominated for 3 Oscars Can't Post

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

Nothing for costume, makeup or production design! Now I'm officially recognizing The Oscars as a farce - there is no way The Lone Ranger gets nominated for Best Makeup and not DOS!!!

Was Tonto's crow headpiece really superior to anything in DOS? Unbelievable.

(This post was edited by Annatar598 on Jan 16 2014, 1:55pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 2:03pm

Post #2 of 96 (892 views)
Shortcut
The absence from the Make-Up and Hair category is a shock [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad Grandpa nominated ahead of it? Hmmm

katalin
The Shire

Jan 16 2014, 2:10pm

Post #3 of 96 (849 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the Academy is waiting for TABA? [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to recall, years ago for the LOTR movies, the consensus was that, after the final film in the trilogy, then there would be nominations. Perhaps that is what is happening here, too? Perhaps next year TABA will be nominated left and right?

Not that I believe that to be the way it should be, because everyone of these films has been consistently fantastic in many areas, such as "hair and makeup" or "costuming", for example. Unfortunately, the Academy seems to be filled with a bunch of people that really like films with straight people playing gay, that lost one or more children, in a fire, had surgery that was botched, cried most of the movie, and had long soliloquies on why their life was so awful but they managed to rise up in the end, again, with many tears. How is that better than any of the Middle Earth films? Wink

Annatar598
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 2:11pm

Post #4 of 96 (875 views)
Shortcut
If anything, [In reply to] Can't Post

At the bare minimum DOS deserves a nom (or a win) in Makeup, costumes, production design and Visual effects. The two sound nominations will surely go to Gravity, the overhyped darling of the motion picture industry.

Visual effects could go either way. Although Smaug deserves it. I don't see how Gravity should be judged to have better effects. If Gravity wins then every Star Wars film should be given an oscar for basic space visual effects.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 2:18pm

Post #5 of 96 (782 views)
Shortcut
I only tuned in this morning... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to see 12 Years a Slave get showered with praise, and the Academy even disappointed me in that (the film did well enough, but underperformed a bit in the technical categories). It seems, with its 4 acting nominations, that American Hustle is somehow the frontrunner now.

The Desolation of Smaug getting only 3 nominations was predictable, but no less disappointing. It should have scored easy nominations in Art Direction, Costume Design and Make-up (it wasn't even on the shortlist!). Of course, I would have preferred many more as well (things like Score, Song, Cinematography, etc.), but that was extremely unlikely.

I've suffered enough headaches on behalf of AMPAS over the years, so I'm probably tuning out for the rest of the awards season.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 16 2014, 2:19pm)

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 2:20pm

Post #6 of 96 (792 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it's a bad joke [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless they are saving it for TABA.

It seems like pure ignorance.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

cats16
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 96 (744 views)
Shortcut
Congtats to the sound and visual effects teams! [In reply to] Can't Post

A great honor for all team members, in both large and small roles. Amazing work done by each respective group.

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 2:32pm

Post #8 of 96 (758 views)
Shortcut
What on [Middle] earth [In reply to] Can't Post

does a guy gotta do to get a best score nomination???

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 2:35pm

Post #9 of 96 (785 views)
Shortcut
harsh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Visual effects could go either way. Although Smaug deserves it. I don't see how Gravity should be judged to have better effects. If Gravity wins then every Star Wars film should be given an oscar for basic space visual effects.

well for starters the whole film was a visual effect, the process and vision of the film deserves its dues. it was an awesome film.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

tsmith675
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 2:36pm

Post #10 of 96 (760 views)
Shortcut
No doubt Gravity will win all 3 of these categories [In reply to] Can't Post

Which, in my opinion, shouldn't happen. I could have done the sound editing for Gravity. I think Gravity is getting far too much praise. Was it a great theater experience? Absolutely. Is it a great film? I'm not so sure about that. It's an above average film, but definitely not worth all the Oscar buzz it's getting.

"This day we FIGHT!"

nhui06
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 2:51pm

Post #11 of 96 (719 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean really, DOS, while enjoyable, wasn't really much of a film by itself (more of a bridge). It was like PJ saved everything for TABA as the finale to end all finales (Smaug attack on Laketown, Dol Guldur attack, Battle of the 5 armies, all the character deaths, and other LOTR links).That is an insane amount of stuff to cover. Visual Effects will probably go to Gravity this year, but TABA will probably win that next year.

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 2:53pm

Post #12 of 96 (778 views)
Shortcut
Did you see Gravity? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah...

demnation
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 2:57pm

Post #13 of 96 (704 views)
Shortcut
Hard to be disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if it had gotten zero noms. Many of the people who worked on these films got all the awards under the sun 10 plus years ago. PJ probably doesn't have room on his shelf for any more Oscars.

Skaan
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 3:02pm

Post #14 of 96 (677 views)
Shortcut
A bit sad that [In reply to] Can't Post

They didn't get a nomination for the music. I was actually predicting they'd have a high chance of winning the award for music this year, so it's weird to see that they didn't even get a nomination for that in the first place. Am i missing something here?

Arannir
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 3:02pm

Post #15 of 96 (666 views)
Shortcut
Gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity imho will and should win all three.

Shocked that there is no Production Design Nomination, however. Especially since it was nominated last year and DoS arguably offered much more new stuff over AUJ.

This shows that there is zero Oscar buzz for the Hobbit, which is kind of to be expected given the reception which was good but not even close to outstanding. People shouldn't expect to much buzz for TABA either... Yes, they saved the big wins with LotR for RotK, but both FotR and TTT were critical darlings too and had buzz on their own.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 3:03pm

Post #16 of 96 (698 views)
Shortcut
Gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't worth any oscar noms in my opinion. I'm not saying this as a fan of Middle-earth but as a movie goer. It was the film I enjoyed the least last year. If I hadn't paid IMAX 3D money to see it I'd have gotten up and walked out.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 3:05pm

Post #17 of 96 (680 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the lack of nomination for make up is discouraging to say the least [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if it didn't win. Honestly, I look at the contenders and think....are these films really better in the make up department? I don't think so! sigh. Well, these award ceremonies are just baffling to me sometimes. I thought Twelve Years A Slave was a tremendous film, deserving of every accolade going, and although it did win the Golden Globe for Best Picture, it failed to win best actor or best director. One wonders why they thought it was the best picture if they thought it didn't have the best directing or acting!

Anyway, I do hope the folks at Weta come home with some Oscars after all! Most well-deserved! Chances are it will lose the special effects award to Gravity as well.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

tsmith675
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 3:15pm

Post #18 of 96 (654 views)
Shortcut
If you didn't see it in IMAX 3D... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no way it would be enjoyable. That's how I saw it and it was a great theater experience. I definitely couldn't watch it again in 2D at my home or anything. The experience was good for IMAX 3D, but that's about it.

"This day we FIGHT!"

tsmith675
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 3:19pm

Post #19 of 96 (634 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Regarding the Golden Globe for best actor, Matthew McConaughey was absolutely phenomenal in Dallas Buyers Club, as was Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years A Slave. Either of them could win the Oscar. I wouldn't be disappointed if either of them win, as their performances were equally stunning in their films.

"This day we FIGHT!"

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 3:21pm

Post #20 of 96 (634 views)
Shortcut
gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's no way it would be enjoyable. That's how I saw it and it was a great theater experience. I definitely couldn't watch it again in 2D at my home or anything. The experience was good for IMAX 3D, but that's about it.

actuall there is a way, but i guess it depends on the person! i for one cant wait to watch on bluray at home on my huge tv.. perfect

gravity was a million miles better thad DOS in that it was innovative and completely unique, that is why its getting nominated for lots of oscars and DOS isnt.

dos is ok, but cmon gravity was mazing.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 16 2014, 4:48pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 3:26pm

Post #21 of 96 (609 views)
Shortcut
Like you said I guess, depends on the person [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity is a visual film. From the first shot I was into it and expecting to be amazed. Then, I heard George Clooney start talking and telling his stupid stories and it took me right out of it. Clooney played his normal George Clooney character. Sandra Bullock was decent enough, but nothing special. The story was completely repetitive, enough that I got bored of the story in only a 90 minute film. The only "innovative" thing was the visual effects, but I didn't expect anything less for a film in 2013. Gravity was far from amazing for me.

"This day we FIGHT!"

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 3:27pm

Post #22 of 96 (603 views)
Shortcut
I did [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that was probably the best way to see that movie.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 3:34pm

Post #23 of 96 (619 views)
Shortcut
Gravity was like a vacuum cleaner lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

dos is ok, but cmon gravity was mazing, if you cant see that, then youve been wayyyy into pj films for too long ;)

Like you said different strokes for different folks. I found nothing about gravity to be amazing. The visual effects were cool but the rest of it was awful. Well, Clooney was alright but thats about it. I found the story totally unbelivable and Bullock's character was one I simply didn't care about. As I said above if I hadn't paid the money to see it in IMAX 3D I'd have gotten up and walked out. I love DOS it was the film I enjoyed the most but I made nearly 40 trips to the movies last year (seeing movies for the first time or double dipping) and Gravity was the worst movie I saw last year.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 3:40pm

Post #24 of 96 (596 views)
Shortcut
Happy yet disappointed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was scrolling through the nominations and I had not seen any DOS mentions yet and I was getting a little nervous. No nod for makeup, hair, costume etc...

But then I saw the two sound ones, and then the visual effects, so I was pleased. I think three is exactly what they expected, just like last year.

I know it's early for next years TABA, but I have a few thoughts that are partially biased, yet somewhat realistic:

Since the first two movies have been nominated in five different categories, I assume that, as long as TABA is up to par, it will get a nod in all of these categories.(Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Hair/Makeup, and Production Design.)

You can also throw in Costume Design to make it six nominations. Those are just the expected ones that should be somewhat guaranteed.
Then you get to the other ones like Score, Song, Cinematography, Film Editing, Screenplay, and even Director and Best Picture. Also, who knows if they get a suprise nom for Martin, Ian, Richard???

Adding that all together, there's a decent chance to get 6-8 nominations and maybe even a couple wins. How does that sound??

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 3:44pm

Post #25 of 96 (590 views)
Shortcut
waaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gravity was the worst movie I saw last year.

WAAAAA

i immediately wanted to go travel the world after i got out of that film, it actually made me feel something!

clooney was cast as clooney that was his role! and those long takes, iconic images and wel/ everything....

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 16 2014, 4:50pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.