Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Viggo flying to Wellington?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2014, 1:15pm

Post #1 of 52 (3827 views)
Shortcut
Viggo flying to Wellington? Can't Post

I have seen this on The One Ring Facebook page

Quoting: These rumours of Viggo Mortenson in Wellington, and additional pickups for TABA, just won't go away...

Anyone knows anything about this?

Maybe for the hunt for Gollum, or as I wished they will shoot a bit more for LOTR future megaextended edition?XD

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 1:32pm

Post #2 of 52 (2310 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all I have to say on the matter.

I SINCERELY hope he's only there for a visit.

I'd rather see the deleted footage of his earlier years with Arwen, rather than another shoehorned fan fiction cameo.

Scratch that, I'd rather see the Talking Purse instead Wink

Didn't Mortensen turn down a cameo role when the films were first announced? I seem to recall him mentioning it last year in an interview.

If it's not in your Appendices, maybe it's in mine?

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jan 16 2014, 1:35pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 52 (2187 views)
Shortcut
He didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

He mentioned something about how he would be willing to reprise the role if it works for the story, but he also said he was never even asked in the first place (other than that one time like you said when one of the producers asked him if he would be interested, but that was way early in production).

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 2:44pm

Post #4 of 52 (1939 views)
Shortcut
My mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for clarifying my question.

Hmm 'if it works for the story'...Viggo Mortensen doesn't seem like an actor who return for a short 'fan service' cameo, so presumably if he were to make an appearance in TABA this would be a bridging sequence of sorts.

nhui06
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 2:48pm

Post #5 of 52 (1957 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't surprise me [In reply to] Can't Post

They can always spend the last 30-45 minutes or so back in 'present' FOTR time. I envision a scene where Gollum leaves his cave and begins his hunt, while somewhere in the woods, Gandalf has a meeting with the 'Ranger' to discuss what to do with Gollum. Maybe for the EE cut?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 2:51pm

Post #6 of 52 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Please, no [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 16 2014, 3:01pm

Post #7 of 52 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it's a definte possibilty for the TABA EE [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't think a long drawn out bridging sequence would be a great way to end TABA's theatrical release after two (or three depending on how Laketown plays out) massive battles.

Frankly as much as I like Mortensen as an actor, I don't think a 54 year old Actor playing a 27 year old Aragorn would work (maybe he could play his father? The Appendices have already been rewritten by Jackson and co so I don't see any point in getting worked up)-the aging effects on Legolas didn't work for me, and Bloom is much younger.

To be honest though I'm pretty fed up with the amount of Call backs and fan service to LOTR this trilogy already has, so I'm not that fussed either way (I think more Elijah Wood is certain though).

Who knows?

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 3:12pm

Post #8 of 52 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear, I hope we don't get an Aragorn cameo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Might as well bring 'em all in then...why not Arwen too? I don't think any of this will happen, really. As much as I enjoyed Viggo's Aragorn...please don't show up!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 3:13pm

Post #9 of 52 (1827 views)
Shortcut
That would be GREAT ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally would love it. Better now, than when 10 years have passed and it can no longer be done

bowencm
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 3:42pm

Post #10 of 52 (1799 views)
Shortcut
I had seen... [In reply to] Can't Post

the same thing floating around recently about him heading there. I guess it would be ok if, towards or at the end of TABA, he and Gandalf chatting about the need of increased watch over the realm or Gandalf saying something like, "head to Bree..." 1 minute at the most if at all...in my humble opinion...

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 3:55pm

Post #11 of 52 (1746 views)
Shortcut
5 minutes :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 3:56pm

Post #12 of 52 (1720 views)
Shortcut
YES.. Arwen too.. I am already searching my walking stick to make a dance [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Might as well bring 'em all in then...why not Arwen too? I don't think any of this will happen, really. As much as I enjoyed Viggo's Aragorn...please don't show up!

bowencm
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 3:59pm

Post #13 of 52 (1691 views)
Shortcut
That'll work! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

emre43
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 4:35pm

Post #14 of 52 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully this is true [In reply to] Can't Post

Would explain his interest in the Hobbits in FOTR

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 16 2014, 4:36pm

Post #15 of 52 (1624 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

What next, a cameo by the kitchen sink? Unsure

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 4:37pm

Post #16 of 52 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Viggo just needed to get to some place Warm? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was sure Cold at the TOP
of the Idaho panhandle
during our Arctic Express
last week.

It's mid-summer in NZ, & he jus'
might be there to buy a Few Horses?

Did he buy a house in NZ?
Bomby knows Orlando did once.

Any Kiwi's know if he still owns that?
or did his ex-wife, Model get it
in their divorce?

If Bomby had a lot of $$
NZ sounds like a REALLY
nice place to be
right now.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:59pm

Post #17 of 52 (1594 views)
Shortcut
the miracle of modern cosmetics [In reply to] Can't Post

would be sorely needed - and VM is a handsome man so this is no shot at him. But would his fans REALLY want to see him Botoxed and CGI'd?

No. And IMO it was a bit awkward that Elijah Wood was showing up at premiers/vblogs for a few minutes work as tho he were part of the main Hobbit cast. Enjoyed his cameo, but it was just a few minutes work.

bowencm
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 6:34pm

Post #18 of 52 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Being from the northeast... [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree. :-)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 6:43pm

Post #19 of 52 (1584 views)
Shortcut
He has 2 horses & friends in NZ. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has every reason to go there without being involved in gratuitous Hobbit cameos (and please, please, don't even consider more than a cameo!). Heck, I spent a month in NZ last year, and I wasn't in any movies!

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 16 2014, 6:44pm)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 7:27pm

Post #20 of 52 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Good. At least Aragorn is an existing Tolkien character! [In reply to] Can't Post

In difference from Miss Tara Croft (short from Tauriel). I'd prefer to see any existing Tolkien character but be spared the imagination of PJ's team which has gone wild. On top of that, in order to make this whole thing consistent, fact is that the rangers were involved if they are going to show Gollum's backstory before LOTR starts. More so, the scenes about the Shire being guarded would be an excellent ending as they would leave the viewer wondering why the Shire was guarded by the rangers and what was going on. Since they want people, new viewers, to see first the Hobbit trilogy, then the LOTR one, it makes sense. After they ruined the Legolas/Gimli importance as bridge builders, I hope they can spare me more of Miss Tara and her "heroic" future but show me something that Tolkien indeed thought of, at least. He, not them!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Jan 16 2014, 7:28pm)

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 8:26pm

Post #21 of 52 (1515 views)
Shortcut
The cameo I'm really hoping for [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that first orc that Sam hits with a pan.

It would be a great callback/forward to LOTR.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 8:35pm

Post #22 of 52 (1483 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'd rather watch a digitally deaged Aragorn than Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't think it's going to happen.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 9:19pm

Post #23 of 52 (1420 views)
Shortcut
I would like it if [In reply to] Can't Post

it was just a short scene with Gandalf telling some ranger (don't even need to call him by name) to keep a watch over the Shire. Viggo wouldn't even need to say much or anything at all.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 10:11pm

Post #24 of 52 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Even digital de-aging won't produce a 10-yr-old boy [In reply to] Can't Post

...depending on whether you think the extra 17 years happened in the movie and just wasn't mentioned, or not. I prefer to think that it did Wink

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 16 2014, 10:12pm)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 2:31am

Post #25 of 52 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Time hasn't been followed [In reply to] Can't Post

before, no reason for them to stick to Tolkien's time now. They skipped the gap until Frodo leaves the Shire, easily can skip another one. It can be done as a leap in time towards the times when the Shire is guarded, it's been done hundreds of times in movies. Won't be anything new.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.