Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is is Time... for a "Mid-Trilogy Exam"?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 15 2014, 11:49pm

Post #1 of 11 (593 views)
Shortcut
Is is Time... for a "Mid-Trilogy Exam"? Can't Post

Technically we are Half way there?
Movie One & EE has been examined.

Movie Two is Out to still see..
EE won't be for us to
Enjoy until November..

Movie Three in December,
Then EE sometime in 2015...

So of the 6 versions of these 3 movies
we have already seen 3.

We are Students of Professor Tolkien & Professor PJ
so..There are many questions to be
Asked &
All
Answers are correct!.
(we ALL get an "A"!)

Pick an Essay Topic:
one or all of these Q's?

(You might earn your PhD?)

Are PJ's movies
True Enough to
Tolkien?

Are you Transported to
Tolkien's Middle-Earth enough?

Are you happy or sad at PJ's
Embellishments?

Are you
Impressed with an
Impossible
Production to
Produce?

WE could
All pose many more Q's for
All of our collective
Enlightenment/Enjoyment..

IF, You just sit back & Start typing,

...Class!

Professor Bomby
(That DumbDEAN... you hated in School)

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 15 2014, 11:51pm)

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 12:48am

Post #2 of 11 (307 views)
Shortcut
you are a special person [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for your work. Bomby-man
you bring smiles on faces

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 3:45am

Post #3 of 11 (283 views)
Shortcut
Ok. Mid Trilogy Exam [In reply to] Can't Post

As CG will tell you, I am known for cheating. So just keep that in mind. Wink

I think Bomby that it is not what could be termed a direct adaptation, but that does not trouble me as much as it may others. Film and timing and studios make change to literature: but I find the cardinal story intact. I feel the spirit of the works and of Tolkien in the films. Do I also perceive the spirit of Sir Peter and crew? Yes, I do. But as it is their creation, their interpretation, I like that just fine. Just as I like viewing a new Hamlet, or Macbeth, or a Jane Austen or Holmes adaptation: I want to see what creative people feel like saying about a written work that I love. I think the feeling comes to me in the details.

As an example, just today I was considering two wonderful pieces of Howard Shore's work in the latest soundtrack - Beyond the Forest and Spell of Concealment - and in comparing the two, it reminded me so much of this part from the Ainulindale: "And it seemed at last that there were two musics progressing at one time before the seat of Iluvatar, and they were utterly at variance. The one was deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable sorrow, from which its beauty chiefly came. The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony but rather a clamorous unison as of many trumpets braying upon a few notes." A small notation, but details like this make me feel the Tolkien spirit, and makes me feel as well these people who are crafting the films are very aware of it too.

Things like this are no accident. Its not an issue of 'licensing', or direct referral, or 'rewriting Tolkien': this is the adapted spirit, purely the spirit, of a passage written in the Creation of Time in Ea. Which does no even feature in these films...yet I feel it there nonetheless.

Other details, like the use of Tolkien's languages - with language being so important to the Professor himself, arguably the basis for the entire legendarium - just hearing it onscreen gives me so much happiness and does indeed transport me to Middle-earth.

The physical world of Middle-earth, created as a massive set piece. So the forests, the rivers, the mountains that make it feel like Middle-earth. Like the unique carvings everywhere that we barely see yet which have been researched, created, and placed in the backgrounds to give life to Middle-earth. And the smaller things, personal things: things like Kili's runestone, the unique and almost art-deco style of Dwarven art given its own chance to shine in the clothes and gear of the Company. Things like an actor, invested enough to suggest names for his axes ... and an open-minded, talented and caring crew that makes it so.

There are so many details that we know, and I am sure that's only a tiny portion of all the real stories!

I could write much more - but in short, I feel that these films, like LOTR, do indeed take me to a place that I had only dreamed about before. I am very happy to be here and seeing these now. Plus sharing them with my fellow Tolkien fans.

Wonderful idea Bomby! Heart

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 16 2014, 3:46am)

Kim
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 4:52am

Post #4 of 11 (214 views)
Shortcut
Jeepers Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you bring an apple for the teacher too? Wink

I had typed up a response to Bomby a couple of hours ago, but when I tried to post it, I got an error, I think while the thread was being moved. It was nowhere near as well thought out as yours. I'll see if I can re-create it and spiff it up a bit. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:02am

Post #5 of 11 (201 views)
Shortcut
I *did* post that cheating warning. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Kim
Valinor

Jan 16 2014, 5:34am

Post #6 of 11 (207 views)
Shortcut
My exam topic [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you
Impressed with an
Impossible
Production to
Produce?

Short answer: Yes Wink
Longer answer: As someone who is not very creative or artistic, I am in awe of the incredible artistic contributions made by PJ & Co, the cast and crew. As someone more experienced in operations and logistics, I am also amazed at the planning and coordination that went into the execution of such a major production. The level of research, care, attention to detail and "let's get this done" attitude is second to none. It's been so great to see (via the behind the scenes videos) how they all worked so hard to achieve PJ's vision. I'm so happy we're only halfway through these releases, and can't wait to see the rest, while enjoying the anticipation in the meantime.

Thanks Professor Bomby!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 11:48am

Post #7 of 11 (168 views)
Shortcut
Great answers Class... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim brings up an aspect that is so important
to remember.

For eample:
Shooting Ratio to Final Cut?

Shooting Film for Television News in the early
1970's the Film shot to the Shots used
was called the Ratio.
Example: was given 400 feet of Kodak Ektachrome
(Run time of about 10 minutes)
and Told to shoot every offensive
play of our Home Team's
College football game.

When out of film, get the Play List from
a spotter and drive back to the Station,
process it and hand it off to the
Sports announcer...

He would cut for the Best yardage
gained, and that would be shown
on the 6 o'clock News.

At the most, about 90 seconds
would make it on the NewsCast.

So, it was about less than a 15%
of the entire piece.

With PJ's Shooting Ratio
he may have 40 takes & only
ONE would make it on screen?

Let alone the 100's of hours for a Set-up
for just that day of that ONE SHOT?

So, it seems what are seeing
COSTS about $1million dollarsUS
per minute shown.

ADD on,
up to 200 trucks of equipment all over NZ ?

What we see is worth
every penny to Bomby.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jan 16 2014, 11:59am)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 2:18pm

Post #8 of 11 (146 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

what a lovely, insightful post. Smile

I agree with you on so many of your points, but especially these:

details like this make me feel the Tolkien spirit, and makes me feel as well these people who are crafting the films are very aware of it too.

Things like this are no accident. Its not an issue of 'licensing', or direct referral, or 'rewriting Tolkien': this is the adapted spirit, purely the spirit,

I find that the details of the sets, costuming, props...all these are so carefully crafted that I just can't get enough of them. I love watching both Hobbit movies just to look in the background to see what I can find. Those things don't happen by accident, but by "care"ful planning.

I took the second bit of the quote above out of context to make it more general, but I think there are a number of places and aspects where this "spirit" of Tolkien comes through--Tauriel's starlight/memory speech, for one, and when Gandalf is pinned to the wall of Dol Guldur by Sauron, just as Maedhros was pinned to the wall of Thangorodrim by Morgoth, for another.

Other details, like the use of Tolkien's languages - with language being so important to the Professor himself, arguably the basis for the entire legendarium - just hearing it onscreen gives me so much happiness and does indeed transport me to Middle-earth.

I got geeky happiness chills hearing Legolas say "Gondolin" and Azog say "Sharku." Cool

The physical world of Middle-earth, created as a massive set piece. So the forests, the rivers, the mountains that make it feel like Middle-earth. Like the unique carvings everywhere that we barely see yet which have been researched, created, and placed in the backgrounds to give life to Middle-earth. And the smaller things, personal things: things like Kili's runestone, the unique and almost art-deco style of Dwarven art given its own chance to shine in the clothes and gear of the Company. Things like an actor, invested enough to suggest names for his axes ... and an open-minded, talented and caring crew that makes it so.

Yes! Heart Evil

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 3:54pm

Post #9 of 11 (60 views)
Shortcut
Thang you for moving this to Main..It really does belong here..Bomby// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 6:39pm

Post #10 of 11 (56 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts back R-D! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what a lovely, insightful post. Smile Thank you R-D! great idea of Bomby's!

I find that the details of the sets, costuming, props...all these are so carefully crafted that I just can't get enough of them. I love watching both Hobbit movies just to look in the background to see what I can find. Those things don't happen by accident, but by "care"ful planning. Absolutely true. Really, couldn't you just wander Laketown for days? The care (as we read in Larry's posts from the set) taken by people like Ra and his crew is just amazing and rewarding.

I took the second bit of the quote above out of context to make it more general, but I think there are a number of places and aspects where this "spirit" of Tolkien comes through--Tauriel's starlight/memory speech, for one, and when Gandalf is pinned to the wall of Dol Guldur by Sauron, just as Maedhros was pinned to the wall of Thangorodrim by Morgoth, for another. Great example here R-D! I see too: the concept of stewardship of the Firstborn, the relevance of the Awakening (though I guess it is a bit off-limits to detail it too fully) and points like Gandalf bringing down the stones of Dol Goldur...in so many places we have that example, like Luthien bringing down the stones of Sauron's fortress - unbinding them with song - that Gandalf does here - granted with staff. (Stone has a strange life in JRRT doesn't it? It responds to sing and can become un-knit, and it speaks I its own voice, as it did to Legolas in Hollin.)So all true - spirit feels there for me (and you!)

I got geeky happiness chills hearing Legolas say "Gondolin" and Azog say "Sharku." Cool Oh my yes!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 6:42pm

Post #11 of 11 (67 views)
Shortcut
I remember a detail like that from the LOTR EE's Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

Where that small epiphany moment of Gandalf's - when Aragorn asks him what is heart tells him - was shot many, many times until SPJ got what was needed; with the whole set demo of Edoras waiting on the finished take. So much care (and time and footage) for that one subtle reaction.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 17 2014, 6:42pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.