Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Can anyone make out what the voices say?

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2014, 8:51pm

Post #1 of 13 (723 views)
Shortcut
Can anyone make out what the voices say? Can't Post

In Mirkwood, before Thorin says, "Quiet! We're being watched!" voices can be heard whispering in the background. Can anyone understand what they're saying, if it's actual words? (I am assuming it's the spiders we hear, and not Elves...)

I'm asking because I could swear I heard "Tomnoddy" in my viewing today, and I want to know whether it was just my imagination! Smile

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 15 2014, 9:23pm

Post #2 of 13 (407 views)
Shortcut
Could be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not heard that specifically, but when Bilbo twangs the webs up in the tree, initially, you can hear the word "Attercop" afterwards (quietly). So it would not be surprising if "Tomnoddy" also made it in.

IDLookout
Rivendell

Jan 15 2014, 9:53pm

Post #3 of 13 (346 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the sort of thing I like to see in the Hobbit films.

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 6:36am

Post #4 of 13 (195 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if this is helpful or not, [In reply to] Can't Post

But in Norway the film is subbed, and the attercop-part is subbed but the voices Thorin respond to is not subbed Smile

Usually it means that it's nonsense but I remember a couple of lines in the background of AUJ not being subbed in theater but subbed on the blu-ray Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jan 16 2014, 11:38am

Post #5 of 13 (168 views)
Shortcut
I believe I heard "Attercop" [In reply to] Can't Post

I only noticed it on my third viewing, and that was also the first time I noticed the first "Attercop" echoes from when Bilbo twangs the web. So perhaps my mind is translating the similar noises Thorin hears to just be the same but I'm sure I picked up "Attercop" (and on my fourth viewing as well).

Of course, Tomnoddy" could be in there as well, it's a wide echo-y sound that could have a couple of phrases bouncing around in it.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2014, 12:44pm

Post #6 of 13 (141 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it's a long time to wait until the DVD/BR comes out...

Guess I'll have to go listen for it in theaters again--poor me! Wink

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2014, 12:53pm

Post #7 of 13 (150 views)
Shortcut
Wow, a second "Attercop"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice that! It would definitely be such a geeky thrill if it was in there with "Tomnoddy"! Wink

So perhaps my mind is translating the similar noises Thorin hears to just be the same but I'm sure I picked up "Attercop" (and on my fourth viewing as well).

That's what I'm wondering--whether my ever-hopeful mind was translating with unfounded optimism. Blush

I cling to the knowledge that PJ does like to throw stuff like that in there for treasure-hunting geeks. (I proudly count myself among their number. Wink)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 2:52pm

Post #8 of 13 (151 views)
Shortcut
Why would the spiders say Attercop? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was offensive to spiders. Crazy

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2014, 3:29pm

Post #9 of 13 (156 views)
Shortcut
It's true that no spider has ever liked being called Attercop [In reply to] Can't Post

but Tomnoddy of course is insulting to anybody.Wink

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 3:29pm

Post #10 of 13 (138 views)
Shortcut
To amuse us! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, fans who will go back and watch the film several times in theatres and/or pause and replay scenes on our DVDs in order to find these little things.

Which I am sure go right past the more "general audience" viewers, thus not raising such questions in their minds. (I only caught it after being told where to listen for it on this forum, and that on my third viewing).

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2014, 5:42pm

Post #11 of 13 (108 views)
Shortcut
I thought I heard that too, [In reply to] Can't Post

however, it's supposed to be a gross insult, so it only makes sense if the spiders are aiming the insult toward Bilbo.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 16 2014, 5:43pm)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jan 16 2014, 6:49pm

Post #12 of 13 (118 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if there's something more in the EE here, i.e. Bilbo singing his rude rhymes at the spiders, like in the book, and so the spiders are all indignant afterwards ("Attercop indeed!" "Who's he calling a tomnoddy?") That would be good.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 17 2014, 12:18am

Post #13 of 13 (76 views)
Shortcut
Oh that would be great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love that! Perhaps the soundtrack has a clue. Flies and Spiders is one of the extended pieces...hmmm...
@ arithmancer, Yeah it is amusing and I love picking up on these little things or hearing others do so but I just don't think this one makes much sense. It's like an unseen orc startling a bunch of men in lake-town and them suddenly whispering a bunch of rude names about themselves as they look for it, "idiot, moron" (excuse me). But I guess maybe its just a weird part of spider culture? Laugh

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.