The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel's weird combat knives

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jan 15 2014, 3:38am

Post #1 of 14 (2228 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's weird combat knives Can't Post

I was looking through some of the Weta props for fun, and when I came across Tauriel's daggers, something just seems rather off. The blade is curved, but it seems to be curved "downwards," i.e. in the opposite direction compared to a saber or katana. Does anyone know what cultural these knives would emulate?

(This post was edited by 7.62 mm FMJ on Jan 15 2014, 3:39am)

demnation
Rohan

Jan 15 2014, 3:54am

Post #2 of 14 (1936 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure they are supposed to emulate anything [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's just an Elvish thing?

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 15 2014, 3:55am

Post #3 of 14 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Elves! [In reply to] Can't Post

These knives emulate the Woodland Realm 's design :)
They are unique, made especially for my favorite female Elf Tongue

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

ec1988
The Shire

Jan 15 2014, 4:17am

Post #4 of 14 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Probably the Indonesian Karambit [In reply to] Can't Post

The hooked blade can be quite effective for slashing.

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jan 15 2014, 4:54am

Post #5 of 14 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Googled the Karambit, and it does indeed share similar blade design.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Jan 15 2014, 5:14am

Post #6 of 14 (1869 views)
Shortcut
The falx [In reply to] Can't Post

They could be inspired by the falx, a weapon utilized by the ancient Dacians of the Carpathian Mountains. These are of course much shorter than Dacian falces.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 15 2014, 5:39am

Post #7 of 14 (1866 views)
Shortcut
The Indian kukri also curves downward. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel's daggers also somewhat resemble seax knives, which have straight blades with angled points, but the sharp edge is along the long straight side of the blade.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jan 15 2014, 6:03am

Post #8 of 14 (1857 views)
Shortcut
they are similar to a seax excluding the downward curve you note. [In reply to] Can't Post

they tried too hard with these ones as they have done with a lot of weapons in these movies as opposed to the generally excellent if somewhat appropriately movieified weapons of the LOTR trilogy.

d'oh i just fully read the post directly above.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jan 15 2014, 6:05am)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 15 2014, 11:03am

Post #9 of 14 (1840 views)
Shortcut
I prefer these (Legolas).... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/...s/0/08/LEGOLAS12.jpg

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 15 2014, 1:33pm

Post #10 of 14 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Blade color looks brown? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that just a trick of the background coloring and flash during photography or are the blades actually brown? They look like they're enameled or something.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 15 2014, 1:35pm

Post #11 of 14 (1787 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the replicas when they first came out along with the separate sheaths. They are beautiful and quite heavy. My husband wanted to swing them around! Laugh

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2014, 4:33pm

Post #12 of 14 (1763 views)
Shortcut
Predator claws [In reply to] Can't Post

Others have posted correctly about the kerambit, the kukhri, and other blades with similar curve. I would add that I think of it as resembling the curve of a carnivorous animal's claws. Same curve is found on Marvel Comics' Wolverine's adamantium claws, I think for the same reason. Like the kerambit and Wolverine's claws, Tauriel's blades would be great for tearing, gouging, and hooking. I think this nicely reflects her rustic Silvan Elf nature, instinctive and bloodthirsty like a kller beast when fighting.

In contrast, Legolas' katana-like (or more accurately, tanto-like) curved knives would appropriately reflect his noble-born, Sindarin background: disciplined, cool-headed and cold-blooded in executing intricate combat techniques and feats under pressure, like a trained Samurai would.

To be fair, I should mention that Tauriel seems just as capable of staying cool in the heat of battle. Still, she is portrayed as hot-headed and may I say Wolverine-esque, such as during the Narzug scene.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Retro315
Rivendell

Jan 15 2014, 5:07pm

Post #13 of 14 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

An upward curve is better for slashing, but isn't as good for skinning wild animals. These appear to be hunting knives, and would also be quite excellent for cutting spider-webs down.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 17 2014, 11:36pm

Post #14 of 14 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Last viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

I paid attention to Tauriel's knife work, and I noticed she does a lot with an underhand or reverse grip: the blade on the pinky finger side of her hand instead of the thumb/forefinger side. That downward curve to her blades makes slashes more effective when used with an underhand grip.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.