The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So what was Bolg's plan anyways?

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jan 14 2014, 7:25am

Post #1 of 13 (1185 views)
Shortcut
So what was Bolg's plan anyways? Can't Post

If the dwarves weren't able to make their escape from the halls of the Woodland Realm, what would Bolg do? Assault the Woodland Realm? It seems like he brough a battalion-sized group of orcs along, but given that the Elven infantry wiped the floor with the orcs after taking a few initial casualties, I don't see how Bolg would've succeeded.

(This post was edited by 7.62 mm FMJ on Jan 14 2014, 7:26am)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jan 14 2014, 7:27am

Post #2 of 13 (838 views)
Shortcut
Sauron just feeling things out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2014, 7:33am

Post #3 of 13 (830 views)
Shortcut
no, i don't think he wanted a full on assault from Bolg and his orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

i think Bolg wanted to do exactly what he did…sneak attack. Remember when Azog commanded Bolg to hunt the company Azog did not know they were captured and taken to the woodland realm.

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jan 14 2014, 12:13pm

Post #4 of 13 (746 views)
Shortcut
Bolg is not exactly a rocket scientist [In reply to] Can't Post

His plan was simple:

1. Kill all the elf guards at the sluice gate (accomplished).

2. Sneak inside the Woodland Realm and kill everybody, especially his Dwarf quarry (failed).

Part (2) failed, ironically enough, due to the Dwarves escaping almost into his hands, but being chased by the most elite elf warriors. No wonder he gets mad as hell and screams "Kill the She-Elf!" Mad For that I'll kill him myself! Wink

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2014, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 13 (758 views)
Shortcut
Apparently the Orcs are not aware of the fact... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that they are simply cannon-fodder in these films.

It seems like he brough a battalion-sized group of orcs along, but given that the Elven infantry wiped the floor with the orcs after taking a few initial casualties, I don't see how Bolg would've succeeded.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Jan 14 2014, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 13 (670 views)
Shortcut
not only orcs, but men too [In reply to] Can't Post

In the same way as many from the audience are to the studio: like Bolg they keep coming up with redundant excuses to justify the film's excessive plot. So no, Bolg wouldn't have succeeded, his scenes being there for the sake of time-filler.

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Jan 14 2014, 4:46pm)

Retro315
Rivendell

Jan 14 2014, 5:36pm

Post #7 of 13 (657 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

The Orcs witnessed the Dwarves captured by Elves, but taken in captured for trespassing is not the same thing as being thrown in the dungeons for political, personal and petty reasons.

For all Bolg knows, Thorin will cut a deal with Thranduil and keep heading East, or will keep quiet and the mysterious Elvenking of the woods will let him go anyway, or god knows what.

It's not exactly a plot-hole, though it is a bit incredulous. The entire orc chase is incredulous after they get to Beorn's. Not entirely out of thin air - we know from the BOFA chapter that the goblins were amassing for revenge and heading in that direction.

In other news I like to imagine that Azog is Bolg and Bolg is just another lowly lackey orc.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2014, 5:59pm

Post #8 of 13 (638 views)
Shortcut
like stormtroopers ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jan 14 2014, 6:46pm

Post #9 of 13 (617 views)
Shortcut
Thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

What compelled Bolg to take direct action? I mean, if he saw the dwarves being taken in the Elf gates, wouldn't it be more prudent to report back to Azog of the situation (assuming Azog won't do the same as he did with Yazneg)? I don't know why he would be compelled to attack.

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Jan 14 2014, 6:47pm

Post #10 of 13 (614 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the orcs were a bit too incompetent. They should've inflicted more casualties.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 14 2014, 8:22pm

Post #11 of 13 (598 views)
Shortcut
In too many fight scenes, across all of the movies, there is a [In reply to] Can't Post

tendency to make one group look tooo easy to dispatch rather than just plain hard fought victory. From Gondorian troops in full plate armor being dispatched with the slightest hit to orcs incapable of causing any blood to shed - Goblin Town etc. The more "realistic" the combat the better, allowing for heroic actions at the same time.
A Gondorian soldier should be able to fight better than portrayed and should require multiple attackers to bring him down. The dwarves should have at least presented some laceration injuries etc.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2014, 9:57pm

Post #12 of 13 (563 views)
Shortcut
Orcs I can buy more than the stormtroopers [In reply to] Can't Post

Stormtroopers actually went through some kind of training unlike some of these orcs were just given a sword and some armor and ordered to kill things.

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 14 2014, 10:01pm

Post #13 of 13 (588 views)
Shortcut
Agreed completely [In reply to] Can't Post

More realistic combat please!

In Reply To
tendency to make one group look tooo easy to dispatch rather than just plain hard fought victory. From Gondorian troops in full plate armor being dispatched with the slightest hit to orcs incapable of causing any blood to shed - Goblin Town etc. The more "realistic" the combat the better, allowing for heroic actions at the same time.
A Gondorian soldier should be able to fight better than portrayed and should require multiple attackers to bring him down. The dwarves should have at least presented some laceration injuries etc.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 4: Men)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=701444;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.