Other, please specify
View Results (49 votes)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 9:35pm

Post #1 of 23 (2123 views)
Shortcut
There'll be some changes made... Can't Post

I'm going to be wildly optimistic today and assume that Peter Jackson's version of "The Hobbit" does get made. What changes to the verbatim- written books do you think would most benefit THE MOVIE? Keep in mind that many thousands of folks who liked the LotR movies have never read the books and will never do so. So, continuity of some kind to the larger work would be important to keep them on board. (I'm ignoring the issue of whether or not a completely "standalone" movie could succeed.)

What changes would best accomplish bridging the gap?

Annael
Immortal

Mar 3 2007, 10:57pm

Post #2 of 23 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Have Bilbo encounter a young Ranger at Rivendell . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

he'd look much the same, of course Wink

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Mar 4 2007, 12:40am

Post #3 of 23 (1770 views)
Shortcut
I know...! [In reply to] Can't Post

A side story that we can cut back and forth with. Saruman, the White Council, the Necromancer, Dol Guldur, all that. If this is not included, it's going to be hard to explain Gandalf's absence.

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 3:11am

Post #4 of 23 (1759 views)
Shortcut
The White Council... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would tie in the One Ring with the Wizards, Elves & Sauron (with the same actors so that there is continuity... BEFORE Christopher Lee gets too old to be believably strong). I would also like to see an expansion on the story of how Gandalf came to be involved with Hobbits before the Quest of Erebor.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 3:13am

Post #5 of 23 (1776 views)
Shortcut
How did he? Is this told somewhere in the appendices or someplace? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
. I would also like to see an expansion on the story of how Gandalf came to be involved with Hobbits before the Quest of Erebor.

I don't remember it.

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 3:28am

Post #6 of 23 (1734 views)
Shortcut
I'm not the best person to answer that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it was ever revealed how he first encountered them, but they could refer to his having helped the Hobbits during the Fell Winter, so that people can get a sense of just how long the association has been between Gandalf and the Hobbits.

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 3:35am

Post #7 of 23 (1730 views)
Shortcut
That would mean he would have aged before his time... [In reply to] Can't Post

... unless you go the X-Men 3 way and have him CGI'd to look like his son.

*shudder*

Hey, I got a better idea!

Why not have the kid who played Eldarion come back and play a young Aragorn? It would resonate even more when watched back-to-back with LOTR and we'd see that Eldarion was a chip off the old block!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 4 2007, 4:43am

Post #8 of 23 (1717 views)
Shortcut
The Old Took [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
. I would also like to see an expansion on the story of how Gandalf came to be involved with Hobbits before the Quest of Erebor.

I don't remember it.

Was a friend of Gandalf's. It would be interesting to "learn" how Gandalf first became aware of hobbits - maybe it was the pipeweed?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 1:40pm

Post #9 of 23 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Well, Aragorn was nine years old when Bilbo visited Rivendell. [In reply to] Can't Post

(see my story on the subject in my footer)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2007, 3:05pm

Post #10 of 23 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

In The Silmarillion, I think, in "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age". Interesting backstory.

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2007, 4:15pm

Post #11 of 23 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Legolas at Thranduil's court [In reply to] Can't Post

He's never mentioned in 'The Hobbit', but it is entirely possible that as a prince of Mirkwood he would have been there with his father.

I was already thinking about who they could get to play Thranduil, and would they try to get someone who looked (at least a little) like Orlando?

ringhead91
Rivendell

Mar 4 2007, 5:44pm

Post #12 of 23 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Unfinished Tales, not Silmarillion (might be mentioned there though...) NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 10:27pm

Post #13 of 23 (1702 views)
Shortcut
*counts back* [In reply to] Can't Post

D'oh, for some reason I was thinking it was only 50 years, not 78!

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 5 2007, 1:03am

Post #14 of 23 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Since we had to pick only one [In reply to] Can't Post

I think having Gandalf bring up the subject of Sauron would do the most to tie the Hobbit to LoTR, but I don't see why that eliminates your other options. Technically, Arwen was in Lorien with Galadriel at that time, but the whole point is that this is about the movie, not the books, and that would be a relatively minor change. Certainly Legolas could have been at Thranduil's court, and Drogo and Primula could certainly have been hanging around in the Shire at the start of Bilbo's adventure.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 5:31pm

Post #15 of 23 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Drogo and Primula could certainly have been hanging around in the Shire at the start of Bilbo's adventure.

Sounds like a natural cameo for Jackson and Walsh.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 5:38pm

Post #16 of 23 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Miranda Otto... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as Eowyn's grandmother, the then 19 year old Morwen Steelsheen.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2007, 7:10pm

Post #17 of 23 (1709 views)
Shortcut
It could still work [In reply to] Can't Post

If Estel was a typical 9-year old, he would have been fascinated by Master Elrond's small guest and it wouldn't have taken long before they "accidentally" got into some kind of scrape together. And kids and Hobbits seem to get along pretty well with each other -- look at Pippin and Bergil.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2007, 7:15pm

Post #18 of 23 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Legolas at Thranduil's court seems most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

He's already put in a cameo appearance in the Last Alliance.

Gandalf warning about Smaug's potential use by Sauron would be a nice touch, too.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 6 2007, 7:19pm

Post #19 of 23 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Eek! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, it's these kinds of changes that are making me dread the possibility of a Hobbit movie.

If they must change something, let them expand on something that is actually mentioned in the book, such as showing a little bit of what Gandalf's up to when he's not with the dwarves.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 11:34am

Post #20 of 23 (1659 views)
Shortcut
??? I always assumed that's what happened already, which Bilbo mentions [In reply to] Can't Post

to Frodo during the Council of Elrond, after saying loud his little poem 'All that is gold...' on Aragorn:
'I made that up myself,' he whispered to Frodo, ' for the Dunadan, a long time ago when he first told me about himself.'
Where could the two have met already 'a long time ago' before, if not in Rivendell, at the time of Bilbo's own Adventure???
Or could have it been at Thranduil's Court, precisely, during the same Adventure?...
My own idea for this thread was to suggest exactly that in fact: Thranduil's Court was where Aragorn would have met with Legolas, who then would have become the fast friend of Aragorn son of Arathorn that he is, and remarkably so, in the FOTR film, obviously since long already, without any background info being given to us about where and when they had met.
I must say I am now totally confused by the calculations by others, who seem to conclude unanimously that Aragorn was only a child when Bilbo came to Rivendell on his way to Smaug's treasure!...
ShockedUnsure
Please do enlighten me on this, anyone!

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 11:37am

Post #21 of 23 (1639 views)
Shortcut
I guess we all agree that the White Council must be included anyway indeed?... / [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 11:42am

Post #22 of 23 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Oh! How interesting that would be to know!!! :-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 3 2009, 6:54pm

Post #23 of 23 (1778 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also like to see that. Wonder if Bloom would be willing?

In Reply To
He's never mentioned in 'The Hobbit', but it is entirely possible that as a prince of Mirkwood he would have been there with his father.

I was already thinking about who they could get to play Thranduil, and would they try to get someone who looked (at least a little) like Orlando?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.