Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Gold Hobbit Coin

pbsask

Jan 8 2014, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 9 (295 views)
Shortcut
Gold Hobbit Coin Can't Post

Not really sure if this is the right place for this

I am a great fan of the books and the films but am not a collector so thought I would ask this here.

I have an 18 Carat Gold coin created to celebrate the cinema release of the Desolation of Smaug it was Commissioned by Warner Bros and is 1 of 11 made, it is hallmarked and I have a Certificate of Authenticity for it.

I have seen a similar coin used at the premiere (Mine appears slightly smaller and doesnt have European Premier on it) but they where not real gold, there seems to be quite a few of those floating around on eBay fairly cheap.

I dont know much about collectables but as its 1 of 11 made I would think that makes it exceptionally rare and as I am not a collector, I wondered about value as I would rather sell it to someone who wants it rather than let it gather dustor sell it as scrap.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 8 2014, 9:13pm

Post #2 of 9 (126 views)
Shortcut
spot gold prices [In reply to] Can't Post

If this is 18 carat gold, there are various websites that will tell you how get a good approximation of the value of the METAL alone for a given day, you will need to know the spot gold metal price for the day, and be able to weigh the coin to a gram weight (a digital kitchen scale can help). Websites will give equations for actual metal weight value if you have the spot gold price and gram weight. Don't be surprised if it's not as much as you might think. If gold and sold to a jeweler etc. they will just melt it for the gold. It's good to know the value of the gold itself, tho.

As a movie collectible, and rare, I'd take my time and do a lot of research and get opinions from several reputable movie memorabilia dealers, and possibly coin dealers tho this is not a real coin. Another reason to know the value of the gold itself, ahead of time. IMO the key would be to deal w. a reputable dealer for this sort of thing.

Personally I might think about having a jeweler put a good bezel on it (the kind w. a miniature screw) and wear as a medallion - coin jewelry is always popular.

pbsask

Jan 8 2014, 9:20pm

Post #3 of 9 (117 views)
Shortcut
Gold price [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice.

I had looked at the scrap value, which is currently just under 500 (27grams@18)

I just think it would be such a massive shame to scrap when there are only another 10 in the world. I thought here people might know about the value of such things, as I am sure they must have done this before.

Anyone know any reputable movie memorabilia dealers? :)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 12 2014, 10:41pm

Post #4 of 9 (122 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought one of the ones used at the premiere on eBay. It's a really nice item.

OldBeard
The Shire

Jan 27 2014, 8:58pm

Post #5 of 9 (102 views)
Shortcut
Don't sell it based on the metal price [In reply to] Can't Post

Since this is a collectors/numismatic coin (i.e., a coin that gets its value from something in addition to metal content) and not just bullion (i.e., a coin that gets its value from metal content alone) you're gonna want to get it checked out by a collector. It's worth as much as someone will pay for it, but generally a collector of either Tolkien memorabilia or coins (you may want to check with an expert in each area) has seen enough of this kind of stuff to give it a decent appraisal.

If it's one of only ten made then you 100% want to get it checked out. It could be worth quite a bit to the right buyer.

My Hobbit News Blog

pbsask

Jan 28 2014, 7:37am

Post #6 of 9 (81 views)
Shortcut
who tho [In reply to] Can't Post

Code

The problem i have found is where? Trying to find collectors if your not already part if that group is not easy, which is why i have posted in fee forums like this, so far, no one has been able to help or point me to someone who could.

i did get it valued by a movie memorabillia auctioneer but they only valued it at scrap to scrap+25%, 2 other auction houses refused to value it.

OldBeard
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 10:16pm

Post #7 of 9 (66 views)
Shortcut
3 Options. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see your problem. The auctioneers might not have known what it was worth which is why they didn't value it (or maybe they just aren't allowed to value any items at all).

I see three options that you can take. There may be other options, but these are what I've thought of. The first option is to try and sell it to that movie memorabilia auctioneer or to someone else for scrap+25%. The second option is to search around some more for other people who could value it (coin shops, collector shops, other auction houses etc) and look for a better price. The third option is to keep the coin for a few years and after that time more people should have some idea of what it's worth and would give you a more accurate estimate. One of the reasons why you can't find anyone to give you a decent price for the coin is perhaps because it's so rare that there's actually no one actively looking to buy it and so no one can give you a realistic price for it.

Personally, I would take either option 2 or 3. If it's really as rare as you say it is, then there's probably some rich Tolkien fan out there who would be willing to pay a decent amount of money for it (certainly more than 625). It's up to you of course.

Good luck.

P.S. There's also the possibility that in this case the rarity doesn't matter that much and the coin really is worth only 625. I can't be certain though since I'm not an expert.

My Hobbit News Blog

(This post was edited by OldBeard on Jan 28 2014, 10:17pm)

pbsask

Jan 30 2014, 1:56pm

Post #8 of 9 (59 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea I had those 3 options in mind to, I have no reason to doubt its rarity it says so in the CoA, although the wording is a little obscure as it says produced by x company, does this mean y company could have produced others? I assume not as they wouldnt have the casts....

Thanks for your help, I guess I shall put it in the Attic and hope I dont forget it if I move :)

OldBeard
The Shire

Feb 2 2014, 8:19pm

Post #9 of 9 (110 views)
Shortcut
Good choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I would probably do the same. Hopefully you can get something good for it.

My Hobbit News Blog

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.