Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 12 2014, 7:50pm

Post #1 of 29 (1035 views)
Shortcut
*UT discussion: Númenor's description and kings Can't Post

Welcome to Númenor!

“Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.” –Grima

“A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.” –Gandalf

“He doesn’t approve of being late.” –Old Bilbo

I’m terribly sorry that this post is so long in the coming. It’s been one crazy week, and I just haven’t had time to sit down with my book and get this done. My apologies!

Anyway, this week we’re covering both A Description of the Island of Númenor and The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor. We’ll start with the description first.

The most obvious first topic is the actual physical description of the island’s layout. I quite like the idea of it being shaped like a star. It gives it a uniqueness that makes it more than just a random blob of land, in my opinion. Do you feel this is too special, or do you like the layout, too?

The most striking marker of the island is the great mountain right in the middle: Meneltarma. This is where worship of Eru is conducted three times a year. This is one of my favorite glimpses into the life of the Numenoreans. I just love the little detail of a great host of people garbed in white ascending this large mountain. I also really love the idea of the eagles keeping watch on it.

The famous mallorn trees are said to have grown on the island. Do you like this or not? Does it take away some of their uniqueness that they seem to be popping up everywhere? I really like that they’re there. It adds a connection to LOTR without being too obtuse. I also like the mention of seeds having been given to Gil-galad who in turn gave them to Galadriel.

The descriptions of the flora and fauna are so beautiful. I love “the kirinki that were no bigger than wrens, but all scarlet, with piping voices on the edge of human hearing….” Which description is your favorite?

I often forget that in the beginning the Eldar used to visit Númenor from Eressëa. I think it’s a lovely idea, but I wonder what the relationship between them leaving and the Noldor leaving is. Why did the Noldor get banned but these don’t?

The Line of Elros is a difficult beast to tackle since it’s essentially just a list of the kings. This will be mostly up for open discussion about any aspect. I just want to note that I think it’s incredible the amount of detail and work that Tolkien put into it. The sense of history is so deep, and yet it’s so tantalizing at the same time. I’m almost glad that the Second Age is so faintly sketched out because it creates many of those “unattainable vistas.” What do you think?

"Yet fairest of all are the willows of Nan-tathren, pale green, or silver in the wind, and the rustle of their innumerable leaves is a spell of music: day and night would flicker by uncounted, while still I stood knee-deep in grass and listened. There I was enchanted, and forgot the Sea in my heart." - Unfinished Tales

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 12 2014, 11:59pm

Post #2 of 29 (896 views)
Shortcut
Precisely when you mean to! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Welcome to Númenor!
“Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.” –Grima
“A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.” –Gandalf
“He doesn’t approve of being late.” –Old Bilbo

I love all your quotes, but dude - look at the revised schedule. You are right on time. Wink

Anyway, this week we’re covering both A Description of the Island of Númenor and The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor. We’ll start with the description first.
The most obvious first topic is the actual physical description of the island’s layout. I quite like the idea of it being shaped like a star. It gives it a uniqueness that makes it more than just a random blob of land, in my opinion. Do you feel this is too special, or do you like the layout, too?
I like it as a multilayered symbol. The choice of the Valar in crafting the land, as well as the herald that Men followed to find their new land - the star-shape, the sole item of primeval light in the sky before the fall of the Trees and the coming of the Sun and Moon. Maybe conveying their hope of a new beginning, a return to the Eldar time of light, with this gift to worthy Men? The other thing - a foreshadowing - is probably unintended, since Ulmo has no hand in the making of Numenor and he seems to be the only one planning for Earendil and the redemption of Arda...but that Star reference: the greatest Mariner that will rise from a race of mariners. I see it here. So if Numenor is the hope of Men: that hope comes in form of the Star. In so many ways.

The most striking marker of the island is the great mountain right in the middle: Meneltarma. This is where worship of Eru is conducted three times a year. This is one of my favorite glimpses into the life of the Numenoreans. I just love the little detail of a great host of people garbed in white ascending this large mountain. I also really love the idea of the eagles keeping watch on it. Yes, and that no one speaks upon it, ever. That honor in silence. The opposite in its way of the wiles of Melkor/Morgoth, that so often rely on words and twisting them. As Rem pointed out in the Athrabeth, that honor done without really that much ostentation...a quiet offering. And without speech, no self-glamorizing, or petitioning (for that matter). One gives, one does not ask to receive in this way of worship.

The famous mallorn trees are said to have grown on the island. Do you like this or not? Does it take away some of their uniqueness that they seem to be popping up everywhere? I really like that they’re there. It adds a connection to LOTR without being too obtuse. I also like the mention of seeds having been given to Gil-galad who in turn gave them to Galadriel. I catch the detail here that they didn't thrive in Gil-gilad's land. I suppose they needed a more sheltered place to thrive - spiritually sheltered from Morgoth and the Marring? Which is maybe why they do well (at first) in Numenor?

The descriptions of the flora and fauna are so beautiful. I love “the kirinki that were no bigger than wrens, but all scarlet, with piping voices on the edge of human hearing….” Which description is your favorite? The kiriniki remind me a bit of my favorite wrens! And all the seabirds remind me of my home - they are everywhere here since the shore is never more than 12 miles away. They follow our boats, like JRRT describes here. I like the husbandry wisdom these Men start off with: they do not harass the birds, the Eagles nest in security, and horses are treasured. That stewardship idea, like that of the Firstborn, happening herein Men. I think here JRRT is pointing to an idealized Human world (where The Shire is maybe an idealized 'fantasy' world maybe?)

I often forget that in the beginning the Eldar used to visit Númenor from Eressëa. I think it’s a lovely idea, but I wonder what the relationship between them leaving and the Noldor leaving is. Why did the Noldor get banned but these don’t? Is it because they are Teleri, and wronged in the Kinslaying? It seems Noldor and returning Elves came there, but that was after the Ban was lifted?

The Line of Elros is a difficult beast to tackle since it’s essentially just a list of the kings. This will be mostly up for open discussion about any aspect. I just want to note that I think it’s incredible the amount of detail and work that Tolkien put into it. The sense of history is so deep, and yet it’s so tantalizing at the same time. I’m almost glad that the Second Age is so faintly sketched out because it creates many of those “unattainable vistas.” What do you think?
I suppose so. Its hard sometimes not to want "more" but then as JRRT said to write a series of mysteries and dynastic struggles would become very novelistic in flavor, and he says "not worth doing." I can agree about the 'unattainable vistas.' We do get that. And as much of the Age is the story of Men which we lack much of in real life, I suppose its a good parallel.
I shall be back to post about some Kings - must have a look at the list!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in March, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Mikah
Lorien

Jan 13 2014, 4:06am

Post #3 of 29 (873 views)
Shortcut
Great quotes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only speak for myself, but I was so relieved when the schedule was changed. We had so much to say regarding Finrod and Andreth, I do not know how I would have mustered the time to post on that, contribute to this discussion, and try to figure out the very complex relationship of Celeborn and Galadriel (who are giving me a run for my money), all in the same week!

Brethil, your sentiments concerning Numenor are beautiful, really. All of them. I took much enjoyment from reading this chapter. I love Tolkien's descriptions. I found it so relaxing to read this chapter and picture in my mind the image he was verbally drawing. Could the star shape be too special? I really don't think so. Perhaps others may see it as over the top, but I love it. I also really appreciate how each area seems to be so different from the next. The Mittalmar reminds me of parts of Iowa, while the Andustar recalls for me memories of my childhood visiting the coasts of Oregon and Washington. I can relate all of these descriptions to places that I have seen and been.

While I was reading the description of Numenor I pondered on the silence on the great mountain. You said it perfectly Brethil "one gives, one does not ask to receive in this way of worship." It reminds me of the Scripture "Be still and know that I am God." I could take a thing or two away from this; and understand the beauty of this type of silence. It seems in this world we live in of chaos, deadlines, and clamor, I need to be reminded of this and I am so glad Tolkien did in this section.

I really like that the Mallorn trees were on Numenor. I believe that this gives them a history and adds to the richness of their existence in Lothlorien. I am not sure that it makes them less special, I believe that it makes them more special in a way. They were clearly of worth to the Numenoreans, Gil-galad, and Galadriel.

I must confess, the description of the seabirds and their relationship with the mariners is my favorite part of the chapter. I find this whole paragraph enchanting. Welcoming the mariner's on their return to Numenor and sometimes joining them on their sea voyages. I love this, for me it is such a lovely image. I think that Tolkien's respect for all living things, trees, birds, people...is beautifully captured in this chapter.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 13 2014, 1:20pm

Post #4 of 29 (872 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that lovely about the seabirds? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. One reason places without seagulls dont feel like home to me.

A thought ocurred to me late last night, about the mixed loyalty and feelings JRRT must have had with the mariner culture and the heavy use of trees. He seemed to hate the thought of a single tree felled, but (although he does point out their early forestry efforts) they felled trees as an industry.

An odd clash of lives?

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 13 2014, 3:53pm

Post #5 of 29 (873 views)
Shortcut
musing about mallorns [In reply to] Can't Post

The famous mallorn trees are said to have grown on the island. Do you like this or not? Does it take away some of their uniqueness that they seem to be popping up everywhere? I really like that they’re there. It adds a connection to LOTR without being too obtuse. I also like the mention of seeds having been given to Gil-galad who in turn gave them to Galadriel.

I'm not sure that I wholly like Tolkien's seeming 'extension' of the history of the mallorn trees. Shocking!

I do like giving them 'a special Western origin' I guess, but in another sense I do think it makes Lothlorien's mallorn trees [and Sam's] 'less special'. Also the new idea creates a couple questions in my mind*

I believe it is Haldir, or one of the Silvan Elves anyway, who doesn't seem to know if any mallorn trees exist in the West. Surely Galadriel would know, I would think, but she kept silent? Or is this merely external, as I believe the original concept was simply that these great trees existed in 'Lothlorien' very early on and when Amroth was king [see especially the draft versions of the poetry concerning Amroth and Nimrodel].

*a couple questions being:

A) why wouldn't they grow in Lindon in Middle-earth, under Gil-galad or Galadriel's power? It's pretty West as West goes in Middle-earth, without getting your hobbit feet wet. Someone once suggested that maybe Lindon was too close to the Sea, but then again you have Numenor.

B) Galadriel's history is relatively confused, but what seems to be 'certain enough' is that she did not dwell permanently in Lorien until Amroth's death, almost two thousand years into the Third Age, and it seems implied [at least] that mallorn trees already grew during Amroth's rule, or even Amdir's...

... so while certainly not an impossible scenario, it seems a bit odd to me that Galadriel only [if only] thought to plant them in Lorien, instead of Lindon, Imladris [or Eregion? can't remember when she gets the seeds at the moment]. Or, if 'under her power' they only grew in Lothlorien for some reason.

Hmm. Still not sure I don't like [what I think is] the older idea better here.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jan 13 2014, 4:08pm)

PhantomS
Rohan

Jan 13 2014, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 29 (852 views)
Shortcut
Elven banning spree? [In reply to] Can't Post

Numenor was blessed ground; it would be a bit silly for the Valar to ban Elves from a place they themselves raised out of the sea and blessed with Elven things like mallorn trees and stuff. The Numenoreans also established links with the Exiles in Lindon and even passed on prayers to Valinor for them.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 15 2014, 4:15am

Post #7 of 29 (842 views)
Shortcut
That closing line in the chapter... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elendil himself writing the Akallabeth. What a detail.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 15 2014, 2:15pm

Post #8 of 29 (820 views)
Shortcut
Land of the star [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit to mixed feelings on the shape of Numenor. Initially it seems a great concept, but it wears thin on me, because it's so artificial. I get the feeling that the Valar also provided shopping malls and planned housing complexes, and all the roads were already named and had signs before Men arrived. When I contrast that with the Noldor going to Beleriand or the Dunedain building kingdoms in Gondor and Arnor, the latter provide a sense of discovery of something new and raw, and building something wonderful out of it (Gondolin strikes me the same way; there was no Tuna replica waiting for them). I realize that the Edain did have to do all the building in Numenor, but still, it seems like they moved in and didn't carve their realm out themselves.

That vague disappointment is easily compensated by the variations in ecological zones that JRR richly describes. It's a place on the horizon that I'd like to take a tour of, knowing that each area is diverse and not a repetition of the one before.

Mallorns: I had an initial "huh?!" that mallorns, which seem exalted given their association with Lorien and Galadriel, could have lowly origins among mere Men. But then it makes me think that the Edain in Numenor were not too different from the Eldar, and I get the feeling that Numenor was supposed to be a Tol Eressea for mortals, and then it all works. I also like the fact that mallorns don't spread like dandelions but have to be given as gifts, and they don't grow everywhere. (I personally think they don't grow in Lindon because it's too far north and too cold.)

So akin to that idea is what Brethil mentioned, that the Edain started out as stewards, like Elves, and their initial culture was their golden age. It's no accident that their early kings were more interested in Elves and learning than ruling.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 15 2014, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 29 (814 views)
Shortcut
Early choices in Numenor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Mallorns: I had an initial "huh?!" that mallorns, which seem exalted given their association with Lorien and Galadriel, could have lowly origins among mere Men. But then it makes me think that the Edain in Numenor were not too different from the Eldar, and I get the feeling that Numenor was supposed to be a Tol Eressea for mortals, and then it all works. I also like the fact that mallorns don't spread like dandelions but have to be given as gifts, and they don't grow everywhere. (I personally think they don't grow in Lindon because it's too far north and too cold.)

Interesting, in the Notes section the mechanics of the life extension of the Numenoreans is described: the twins Elrond and Elros had not that much 'difference in potential life' but because Elros chose to live among Men, he absorbed their restless need to leave the world - and thus makes the first choice of all Numenoreans: to leave this life as he begins to fail. In his case, the choice is profound, as it seems his life span could have been very, very long...but the quality not so much (hmmm... a Ring metaphor? Do not embalm 'life'?)

And I note his son, rightfully the second King, didn't even really take the scepter: he was more interested in lore and learning and was only a King 'for a year' in the records to record his name in the line.

That metaphor, I have wondered often, does it have a basis in faith for JRRT? The constant message to not 'embalm' and attempt to hold onto 'life' and things unchanged...it is the message of the Ring, and here in the choice of the chosen Men. Perhaps because life in all its forms belongs rightfully to the Divine? That that is a usurpation of Eru's prerogative?

I wonder what happened to all of Vardamir's material? Presumably lost with Numenor, since none of it is referenced and we have just that notation about Elendil writing the Akallabeth (in Middle-earth I would presume). Too bad. So much lost - if it had not simply been destroyed out of sheer pique by Al-Pharazon.

Once again, the JRRT's mechanics of the longer life span make sense: the closer a Numenorean lives to the Elven way (empowering the fea?) that span stays longer. As they drift further from that way of life, their span begins to wane. Thus the renewal in Aragorn.

So akin to that idea is what Brethil mentioned, that the Edain started out as stewards, like Elves, and their initial culture was their golden age. It's no accident that their early kings were more interested in Elves and learning than ruling.

Also in Notes, the increase in the life span of Numenoreans is indeed attributed to them living in the style of the Elves - though it is made clear to them (presumably by the ever-communication-impaired Valar) that they still Mortal Men, and not Firstborn.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 15 2014, 4:23pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 15 2014, 11:20pm

Post #10 of 29 (813 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones for these kings [In reply to] Can't Post

We can try making a game out of them. Pick a king and make up categories for them such as
  1. What you like/dislike about them.
  2. What would they talk about if invited to tea at Bag End?
  3. What would they do if confronted by a Balrog?
  4. What would a celebrity date with them be like?
  5. Who should play them in a movie?
So I'll pick King #2, Vardamir Nolimon, who was a king in record only.

1. I like that he was more interested in learning than ruling.
2. At Bag Eng tea, he would ask Bilbo how he was getting on with his translations from Elvish, and could he see some samples?
3. Confronted by a Balrog, he would ask what life was like before balrogging, and what it thought of Middle-earth affairs now that Morgoth was gone, and could it please go away and stop frightening the women and children?
4. He would go on a disastrous date with Lindsay Lohan, where he tried to impress her with his extensive lore of Beleriand botany. She left him with, "I just have to go to the ATM for a sec."
5. Woody Allen or Ian Holm.

nandorin elf
Bree

Jan 15 2014, 11:23pm

Post #11 of 29 (810 views)
Shortcut
Of star shaped islands and shopping malls [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the image of the star because I never think of Numenor as being perfectly shaped. I picture it as more of an abstract resemblance so the significance comes across without it feeling artificial. It also does help that the different regions are so beautifully described.
Numenor feels a lot more settled than most of Middle-earth. I definitely imagine well-tended roads and sizeable towns whereas in LOTR it seems like there's a lot of wilderness between a few spread out centers of civilization. The Valar made a 'perfect' land for them in a lot of ways that didn't need a lot of work to be habitable. In a way, I think it's a nice counter-point to all the death and destruction in the First Age. The Edain earned their beachfront property and now they finally get to kick back a little.
Now I'm wondering what kind of things a Numenorean mall would sell. Mallorn seeds, maybe?

(This post was edited by nandorin elf on Jan 15 2014, 11:25pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 15 2014, 11:59pm

Post #12 of 29 (798 views)
Shortcut
Numenor GoT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hmm. Al-Pharazon could be interesting.
  1. What you like/dislike about them. A wee bit bat-crap crazy?
  2. What would they talk about if invited to tea at Bag End? Wrestling immortality from the Gods. Bilbo leaves on errand to 'see about more bacon' and does not return.
  3. What would they do if confronted by a Balrog? Perceive he has met an equal? Maybe ask it out.
  4. What would a celebrity date with them be like? A crispy, sudden end. See above.
  5. Who should play them in a movie? Christopher Walken

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 12:00am

Post #13 of 29 (786 views)
Shortcut
Mall kiosks: those 'Mallorn Chia' tree starter kits probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

And wagon wheels.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 16 2014, 12:00am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 3:14am

Post #14 of 29 (778 views)
Shortcut
Laughing myself silly!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And on all points, to be sure. Bravo!

I never would have suggested Chris Walken to play him, but you're right, he'd be perfect in that scary-crazy, megalomaniac role.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 3:21am

Post #15 of 29 (789 views)
Shortcut
I did quite some laughing myself earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

at you entire post CG. An egregiously agreeable idea!
Plus the fact that you gently remind all of us Long Islanders that Lindsay Lohan is out there representing us. A real warm fuzzy feeling. WinkUnimpressed

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 2:58pm

Post #16 of 29 (765 views)
Shortcut
northern climate [In reply to] Can't Post

(I personally think they don't grow in Lindon because it's too far north and too cold.)

But Sam's grew in the Shire though. Just sayin' Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 16 2014, 5:31pm

Post #17 of 29 (758 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - that's why I was wondering if it was a spirit sort of thing, Elthir [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

(I personally think they don't grow in Lindon because it's too far north and too cold.)

But Sam's grew in the Shire though. Just sayin' Smile

Places where the taint of the Marring were less (Lorien shielded by Nenya and Galadriel, and Numenor because of its new lands, distance from the mainland and its 'pristine' state - well in the beginning anyway!)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 16 2014, 7:26pm

Post #18 of 29 (752 views)
Shortcut
But he planted it... [In reply to] Can't Post

with some of the earth Galadriel gave him. I suspect that could have helped even if the climate is not quite right.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 17 2014, 1:05am

Post #19 of 29 (775 views)
Shortcut
Tar-Palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I like how courageous he was in going against the flow and doing what he thought was right, not what was popular.
2. He would ask Bilbo about his garden and try to forget all about Numenor, politics, religion, and family.
3. Faced with a Balrog, he would no doubt sigh and shrug: "Just when I think it can't get any worse..."
4. Katherine Hepburn brought out his mischievous side by playing footsie with him under the table wall they were waiting for her to win an Oscar, which he knew she would win. Then they hit Vegas, where he accurately predicted all the game outcomes and made a fortune before being evicted.
5. Somebody with big, sad eyes, like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman, or Elijah Wood.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 1:29pm

Post #20 of 29 (738 views)
Shortcut
Morgoth's Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Places where the taint of the Marring were less (Lorien shielded by Nenya and Galadriel, and Numenor because of its new lands, distance from the mainland and its 'pristine' state - well in the beginning anyway!)

While I give you a gold button for coming up with a new reason I haven't heard yet Smile

... I would still wonder: if Galadriel's preservation power is shielding the Mallorns from Morgoth's 'Ring' [so to speak] then still she had almost two thousand years to plant one in places other than Lorien.

And actually, Lindon [to me] seems a quite likely choice, as south Lindon is [if somewhat vaguely] connected to Celeborn's rule before he took up permanent residence in Lindorinand/Lothlorien. Gil-galad, who in Tolkien's mind ultimately became the grandson of Galadriel's brother, appears to have desired the trees flourish in Lindon...

... Gil-gald perished before the Three could be used, yes, but at the start of the Third Age we at least have a Ring of Power in Lindon with Cirdan, and I think very arguably with Galadriel too.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2014, 1:55pm

Post #21 of 29 (745 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's earth [In reply to] Can't Post

In this description from Unfinished Tales, Tolkien at least suggests [to my mind] that the difference here between Lindon and Lothlorien is a) Galadriel's power and B) that the land is 'guarded' in some way. '... and some were given as a gift by Tar-Aldarion, the sixth King of Numenor, to King Gil-galad of Lindon. They did not take root in that land; but Gil-galad gave some to his kinswoman Galadriel, and under her power they grew and flourished in the guarded land of Lothlorien beside the River Anduin, until the High Elves at last left Middle-Earth; but they did not reach the height or girth of the great groves of Numenor.'

But again, my objection would be not that this couldn't be true, but why Lindon or Imladris could not ever be under Galadriel's power [for enough time or measure] with respect to growing a mallorn tree.

If I go with what I think was the original idea I still have to contend that the soil of Lothlorien, or something about the place, was somehow special for these trees [no problem for me], and that with Galadriel's power we could even have a special one flourish in the Shire.

In the published account Tolkien yet gives Galadriel a role of course: 'For you, little gardener, and lover of trees, I have only a small gift. Here is set G for Galadriel, but also it may stand for 'garden' in your tongue. In this box there is earth from my orchard, and such blessing as Galadriel has still to bestow is upon it. It will not keep you on your road, nor defend you against any peril; but if you keep it and see your home again at last, then perhaps it may reward you. Though you should find all barren and laid waste, there will be few gardens in Middle-earth that will bloom like your garden, if you sprinkle this earth there…'

Earth from Galadriel's own orchard, with her blessing on it. Again, to me it makes sense within the tale proper and we don't know much about Galadriel's history in The Lord of the Rings itself...

... but when you extend the history of the trees and suggest the very mallorns of Lothlorien are due to Galadriel in the first place, that's when I begin to wonder why not elsewhere, because Tolkien essentially revised Galadriel's history as well, and put her on the relative move outside of Lorien, despite visting there during Amroth's rule and Amdir's rule.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jan 17 2014, 2:08pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 12:53am

Post #22 of 29 (717 views)
Shortcut
We likes gold buttons, Precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

... Gil-galad perished before the Three could be used, yes, but at the start of the Third Age we at least have a Ring of Power in Lindon with Cirdan, and I think very arguably with Galadriel too.
Indeed, Elthir. Of course it is all speculation - based on that single tease of info that they would not grow in Gil-gilad's Lindon - but perhaps Celeborn simply did not have Galadriel's rather empire-building notions quite as much. Maybe borders and the like not quite so psychically secured. Don't pay too much mind Elthir! I'm simply off on a faery-hunt anyway, but its fun to theorize! Laugh

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2014, 1:26am

Post #23 of 29 (724 views)
Shortcut
Always reminds me of the White Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

The most striking marker of the island is the great mountain right in the middle: Meneltarma. This is where worship of Eru is conducted three times a year. This is one of my favorite glimpses into the life of the Numenoreans. I just love the little detail of a great host of people garbed in white ascending this large mountain. I also really love the idea of the eagles keeping watch on it.

It always reminds me of the White Fellowship: http://www.kyokuten.net/...novisti_a_ivanov.jpg
http://www.manager.bg/...0/panevritmia4_0.jpg

These are the people of Petar Dunov, the White Master of whom Einstein was very fond and followed his teachings. A man close to God or rather his own understanding of God which was Purity and Love. This is Dunov: http://woman.hotnews.bg/...t/43/petar_danov.jpg

The whole thing called panevritmia (from rhytm and its Greek roots) happens at a magical place at the Rila mountain in Bulgaria, South Eastern Europe. The mountain is known for its seven lakes which all resemble different organs in the human body, so it looks like the mountain itself is a huge model of a human organism.

Very interesting person, Dunov, and I was quite intrigued when I read his teachings. So, the part you quote reminds me of Dunov and his followers, and their worshipping ceremonies.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 1:39am

Post #24 of 29 (709 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating Simplyaven! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful shot from the air.
panevritmia - is that what is spelled out by the people in the upper right corner?

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2014, 2:38am

Post #25 of 29 (703 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean if they form a word with their bodies? I'm not sure which people you refer to. Ah, OK, I saw what you're refering to. No, they spelled they love Rila (the mountain).

Panevritmia is in Bulgarian (or Russian, or Serbian or any Slavic language). It's a system of movements which resembles a very slwo dance. It's supposed to bring the mind and the body in harmony. Dunov (for some reason spelled Deunov) is a fascinating personality and quite mysterious. I actually found his last prophecy very much reminding me of Tolkien and his Elves and their dwellings. Check it out here (and put aside the religious parts if you wish): http://www.angelfire.com/...cyOfPeterDeunov.html The mountain itself is an amazing place too. Keeping in mind that Tolkien, being a phylologist, knew tons about European phylosophy and mythology, I've always found some paralels intriguing.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board for the renewed thread!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Jan 18 2014, 2:40am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.