Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'What Say You' - The Hobbit Movie Reports ~ Rumours & Rumblings ~ Del Toro in talks to Direct ~ Jan 08
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 10:12am

Post #1 of 100 (2168 views)
Shortcut
'What Say You' - The Hobbit Movie Reports ~ Rumours & Rumblings ~ Del Toro in talks to Direct ~ Jan 08 Can't Post

This is from a heads up from Earl on the Main Discussion Page, and no doubt we'll soon see it on the Home Page, and possibly another thread ... but I am just continuing with the 'What Say You" threads which started last year ...

Some questions .... Smile

What do you think about the report ... true or false ... or something in between?
Do you think it is for both movies if it be true?
What do you think about Del Toro Directing The Hobbit?
Do you think there is a chance or change - that Peter will direct the Hobbit or the other film?

If you believe it to be true - what do you feel Del Toro will bring to the Hobbit?
Are you happy with this choice?

What are your other thoughts on this current report?

Article from Reuters online news:
http://www.reuters.com/...dUSN2842023120080128

Del Toro doubles up to direct big-screen "Hobbit"
By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.
Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

For New Line, making "Hobbit" had become a priority in the wake of its billion-dollar success with the Oscar-winning "Lord of the Rings" movies, which were co-written and directed by Peter Jackson. Jackson wanted to adapt "Hobbit," but when he got into a dispute with the studio over profit participation, the project went into limbo; neither New Line nor MGM, both rights-holders to the film, wanted to risk alienating fans of the trilogy by making an adaptation that didn't have Jackson's involvement.
The December resolution of the Jackson suit, facilitated by MGM CEO Harry Sloan, paved the way for "Hobbit" to get back on the road to the screen. However, because of other commitments that included "The Lovely Bones" and "Tintin," Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles, opting instead to become an executive producer with approval over creative elements of the pair of films.

Because of the Writers Guild of America strike, no writer has been hired to adapt Tolkien's children's classic, though that process will be fast-tracked once the strike is resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee "Hobbit's" writing.

Principal photography for the films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for 2009. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per film. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second for 2011.

"Hobbit," which Tolkien initially wrote for his children, was published in the U.K. in 1937 to wide acclaim. It centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug. Tolkien went on to write "The Lord of the Rings" 17 years later.

Del Toro is putting the finishing touches on Universal's summer release "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army" and recently produced the critically acclaimed ghost story "The Orphanage."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

What Say You About this current news?

Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

(This post was edited by Elven on Jan 28 2008, 10:14am)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 10:58am

Post #2 of 100 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply don't have the knowledge to judge if it's true or how good or bad it will be, as I don't know any of Del Toro's other films. But what struck me was this comment:

An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Seems they know a hurriedly made, hollywoodized movie would be a huge mistake, because the Tolkien fans are a force to be reckoned with Evil As for Peter - I can't imagine he has fought so long with NL only to back down now and to let them only use his name. At the moment he may be announced for executive producer only, but I trust him not to only sit back, but to do much more than other people in this job and to heavily influence the movie. I think he knows that most of the fans want this and will not disappoint them. And maybe there's hope for him to direct at least one of them - the schedule isn't carved in stone yet, after all.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 11:26am

Post #3 of 100 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that which you quoted ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Caught my attentionas well ... maybe because it seemed more of a finger wagging opinion than a piece of the report - it even seemed a little stern ... but well placed in the report, and (I feel) quite close to the bones of that which matters ...

Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 28 2008, 12:44pm

Post #4 of 100 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro Would be a Brilliant Choice [In reply to] Can't Post

While parts of Pan's Labyrinth are gorrier/sadder than anything in The Hobbit, he has a great grasp of giving fantasy heart and believable characters. If you look at many fantasies made many of them just focused on the dragon and ignored the characters.

My husband Jim was just joking "And he looks like Jackson before Jackson lost all that weight." ;->

It's Official! Jackson to Produce The Hobbit! Woot! Woot!

smoff
Bree

Jan 28 2008, 1:17pm

Post #5 of 100 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Executive producer... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with approval over creative elements.

I'm not sure how much creative approval Executive Producers normally have, but this sounds to me like PJ saying "Ok, I can't direct because I have all these other projects on. You can put me down as Executive Producer, but I still want to the final say over how it will look!"

If at first you don't succeed, try again.
If you still don't succeed, give up - there's no point making yourself look stupid!

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 1:31pm

Post #6 of 100 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Regardless of who now ... [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe named as in the running, I think I will have to study some more of the movies that are by these Directors before I could comment ... but I would say from your title of your post - thats a definate stamp of approval from you Smile for Del Toro to take the helm for the Hobbit? Wink

and on another note ...
... we have a spot the Peter Jackson comp going on here in the Mountains (not a real one - just between friends) ... there are SOOO many look-a-likes here Laugh .. the best time for spotting is during the Blues and Folk festival though ... only a month to go before I'll be taking some pics of the lovely look a likes Smile

thanks JRR
Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 1:35pm

Post #7 of 100 (1663 views)
Shortcut
From some of the reports ... [In reply to] Can't Post

it is saying that Peter has this kind of Creative control elements in these films ...

so do you think, regardless of who Directs, that the Films will have that 'long-arm' element of Jackson's creativity?
Are you saying this is a good idea or not, or neither?
Sorry just trying to clarify ... Wink

thanks smoff

Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 28 2008, 1:39pm

Post #8 of 100 (1650 views)
Shortcut
I expect that the Hobbit will look quite a lot like the LOTR movies [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't think Jackson will micromanage the Hobbit shoot. He simply won't have the time.

It's Official! Jackson to Produce The Hobbit! Woot! Woot!

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 1:49pm

Post #9 of 100 (1667 views)
Shortcut
I wonder though ... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it is micro managed from a pre-production and scripting aspect from Peter and team, how much room there will be for a Director to move within those boundaries...

Mark Ordesky had a lot of say over time and budget, and I wonder if this is something which Peter, in his capacity, will use to rein in the Hobbit or expand with it ... he's no egomaniac and appreciates others input, but I wonder ....

Thanks JRR
Cheers
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2008, 3:27pm

Post #10 of 100 (1651 views)
Shortcut
I think Del Toro is enough of a geek... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that he will want to stay close to the spirit of the book, as well as the script. Personally, if PJ can't direct the movies, then Del Toro is my next choice

Dragoncon 2008: August 29th - September 1st in Atlanta, Georgia

http://www.dragoncon.org

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2008, 4:51pm

Post #11 of 100 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro has said... [In reply to] Can't Post

according to the folks at Aint It Cool News, that when they spoke to him about 'The Hobbit' he was "very heartfelt about how he had to adhere to what Peter had already established..". So I think that's a good sign!

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 5:04pm

Post #12 of 100 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Thanks deej ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your our best scout!
I couldn't find the comments I had ... but that is interesting in itself ... the comments from other Directors about this project ... and knowing that the man that did LOTR will helm the hobbit on a different level ... I wonder how I'd approach even the thought of this type of collaborative approach ... I think there'd be some anxiety here ... especially as to how people (fans and POI) are going to react to this news ...

I also think that when headings like 'discussion between person and A and person B' are announced, there maybe some monitoring happening to see what the general reaction is ...

I wonder where Del Toro came on the Front Page poll?

Off to have a look ...

thanks deej!

Cheers
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 5:15pm

Post #13 of 100 (1608 views)
Shortcut
The votes from home page ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah! they are always one step ahead Laugh thanks PTB!!

So Del Toro came second to Fran Walsh ...

These were the results of other suggestions to direct the Hobbit .... From the home page of TORN ... just to keep the thread moving ...)

• Fran Walsh
    (35%, 2375 Votes)
  • Guillermo del Toro
    (34%, 2316 Votes)
  • Steven Spielberg
    (21%, 1413 Votes)
  • Sam Raimi
    (21%, 1395 Votes)
  • Alfonso Cuaron
    (19%, 1268 Votes)
  • Sean Astin
    (19%, 1250 Votes)
  • Terry Gilliam
    (9%, 636 Votes)
  • Peter Weir
    (7%, 451 Votes)
  • Robert Zemeckis
    (6%, 404 Votes)
  • Andrew Adamson
    (4%, 270 Votes)
  • Joel and Ethan Coen
    (3%, 225 Votes)
  • Michael Bay
    (3%, 205 Votes)
  • Wachowski Team
    (3%, 171 Votes)
  • Stephen Sommers
    (1%, 59 Votes)
  • Chris Weitz
    (1%, 47 Votes)
  • Bill Condon
    (0%, 23 Votes)
  • Brad Silberling
    (0%, 22 Votes)

Total Voters: 6736

Gee - what a coincidence!?!

Cheers Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2008, 5:44pm

Post #14 of 100 (1628 views)
Shortcut
He's on the "short list" [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think he'd do a fine job working in collaboration with Jackson. I really believe that Peter will be more involved with the production of these 2 films than the normal Executive Producer's job description states. I'm sure he'll have final say in who will actually be standing behind the camera... just as there were multiple directors standing behind the cameras of LotR. One vision. One leader. One Jackson. It'll all be spot on and something that will blow our socks off!

No fear :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

Jan 28 2008, 5:51pm

Post #15 of 100 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Im with you gramma ... [In reply to] Can't Post

as long as Peter is there, and Fran of course ... she did come up first choice in the poll, and her Directors touch has added significantly to the trilogy ...

It will be interesting as more news comes in about confirmation ... they'll be handling it gently gently ...

Thanks gramma!

Cheers ..
Elven

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 28 2008, 6:08pm

Post #16 of 100 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro is very passionate about fantasy. He says it should be very intimate. And that the grotesque is beautiful.

So expect a personal, intimate, and grotesque The Hobbit.

He also feels the big monsters in a movie should be ultimately non-scary, and be victims in the larger scheme of things. So expect the Trolls, the Spiders, and Smaug to be sympathetic characters, say along the lines of Jackson's Cave Troll only moreso. I'd expect the scariest charcters to be, say, Gandalf, Thorin, Elrond, Beorn and Bard. And probably the Mayor of Laketown would be the evilest.

Hmmm. I don''t know if I would like this.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

DiveTwin
Rohan

Jan 28 2008, 6:13pm

Post #17 of 100 (1626 views)
Shortcut
MarketSaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Jim from MarketSaw still believes that Peter Jackson is going to direct this - and that this might be only to keep interest and news going on the project. Still, his writing appeared to reveal that he was somewhat surprised and that it actually might be true (but checking his sources again). With his recent accuracy for predictions, I'll be watching for any updates that his site will have as well.

Personally, I would much rather have Peter direct this as a first choice (like most on this board) - but if that can't happen, Del Toro would be one that I'd be comfortable with.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/...o-direct-hobbit.html

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2008, 7:04pm

Post #18 of 100 (1590 views)
Shortcut
I really don't know what Marketsaw is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...other than the posts i've seen here regarding their stories, but since PJ has said he doesn't have time to direct it, and the studios have said he's not directing, I think i'd be more apt to believe them than a fansite.

I guess it could all just be a ruse, but somehow I doubt it.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2008, 7:25pm

Post #19 of 100 (1575 views)
Shortcut
I think it's what they use to cut interest rates./ [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to go to work today,
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2008, 7:56pm

Post #20 of 100 (1566 views)
Shortcut
So evidently it's been broken for a few years. *grumble* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2008, 8:14pm

Post #21 of 100 (1562 views)
Shortcut
*snert* Too true! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Jan 28 2008, 8:48pm

Post #22 of 100 (1566 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you, too, Gramma ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Del Toro signs on the dotted line, I think this relationship could really work out beautifully!

Sure, PJ is my first choice to direct, but I'm also a big GDT booster.

(And perhaps he might even handle certain aspects of the movie just a smidge better than PJ might ... specifically, I think GDT would likely steer clear of some of the more dignity-infringing "comic" moments with the Dwarves. Sure the Dwarves should occasionally be funny, but I think GDT would likely veer away from the burping/farting/tossing variety of comedy. And that would make me very happy!)

I really think these guys will get along like gangbusters. This could really be an incredibly fertile creative partnership. And if it doesn't happen on The Hobbit, then I hope one day it happens on another project. I think these guys are cut from the same cloth and could make something really special as collaborators.

And I also totally agree that PJ won't be a hands-off Exec. Producer. The fact is, in Hollywood the job of "producer" can mean anything from "guy who used to control the rights to a property a long, long time ago but hasn't had anything to do with the production for years" (a la the Weinsteins on LOTR) to "guy who says Yay or Nay to every single creative element in the movie" (a la Mr. Lucas).

If he doesn't end up directing himself (I'm still crossing my fingers) I expect the Lucas model will be the one PJ follows.

After all, why would PJ & Fran have signed on at all unless they could have total creative control? Wouldn't make any sense for them to just lend their names. So I'm sure their gonna be in charge here ... and GDT would be a terrific addition to the team!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Jan 28 2008, 8:55pm)

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Jan 28 2008, 8:56pm

Post #23 of 100 (1565 views)
Shortcut
And just think ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ is "just" Producing ... he might even have some time to guest direct some of the 2nd Unit stuff! How cool would it be to have them both directing!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2008, 9:43pm

Post #24 of 100 (1577 views)
Shortcut
PJ executive producing [In reply to] Can't Post

Think of his work as what Lucas did with Empire, Jedi and all the Indy films. REALLY hands on. I have no concerns whatsoever there.

Del Toro worries me, though. He couldn't finish LotR... and he is just way too gory... I'm not sure he will be able to to the story justice. Now imagine the bridge movie! Must I repeat he could only finish The Hobbit out of the extensive Tolkien works?

I say he is not the man for the job. But we'll have to wait and see... I hope Jim Dorey is right.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

DiveTwin
Rohan

Jan 28 2008, 9:55pm

Post #25 of 100 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Latest "MarketSaw" [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of having both of them direct, here's an update from Jim at MarketSaw. I hope it's OK to post his stuff here; I see many references to it and notice that Jim posts here himself.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/...del-toro-helmed.html

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.