The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Richard Armitage's forearms are huge!

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 6:59am

Post #1 of 23 (855 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage's forearms are huge! Can't Post

Are they his real forearms,or prosthetics?Yes,i know the hands ARE prosthetics,btw.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Jan 11 2014, 7:06am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2014, 7:04am

Post #2 of 23 (444 views)
Shortcut
probably prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

I think any time any of the dwarves show their arms they're full prosthetics.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2014, 7:16am

Post #3 of 23 (426 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they had sort of elbow-length gloves [In reply to] Can't Post

for their arm prosthetics so the arm-to-hand proportion would be right. Otherwise it would look like huge hands on skinny arms.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 7:19am

Post #4 of 23 (403 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

but you can see the lines on his forearms when he uses force(such as lifting,pulling,pushing. Etc.),so i think it may be his real forearm,didn't he do weights training?

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2014, 7:54am

Post #5 of 23 (397 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

And also dwarf boot camp. The dwarves don't wear their full prosthetics in every scene, so it's not always consistent. But usually when there's a close-up they are.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 2:07pm

Post #6 of 23 (326 views)
Shortcut
Was watching the EE Appendices Discs last Night and it [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed only Graham as Dwalin
got Prothetic ForeArms
or it would have been
shown if RA had
them too..

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 3:41pm

Post #7 of 23 (289 views)
Shortcut
Oh Graham! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I saw the difference between Graham's real forearms and Dwalin's I got a good laughter Laugh He's still this awesome, huge, cool dwarf, but good lord those widdle arm Sly

Annatar598
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 4:16pm

Post #8 of 23 (263 views)
Shortcut
I think they're prosthetics. [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife was drooling at his forearms until I told her they were fake. Buzzkill, yes.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2014, 5:12pm

Post #9 of 23 (260 views)
Shortcut
Yes, one of the things I noticed was Thorin's forearms [In reply to] Can't Post

when he puts the key in the door and then pushes the door open to Erebor. LOL!! Yeah, they're obviously NOT RA's own; they're huge and the fingers on his prosthetic hands are so short, fat and stubby one wonders how he manages to wield a key, let alone a sword! But they had to make everything to scale, so it looked like the hands and forearms belonged together. It's one of the few times that I noticed the obviousness of the prosthetics.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 11 2014, 5:13pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 5:58pm

Post #10 of 23 (241 views)
Shortcut
Well, for research sake... [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked back in my file... uh...Blush ... on the internet for these pictures from a Glamour Magazine UK shoot last year. I seem to remember these being tagged Forearm Appreciation in a tumblr post.

I leave each of you to make your own observations. Cool

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Jan 11 2014, 6:01pm

Post #11 of 23 (228 views)
Shortcut
actually I did not mind that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when he puts the key in the door and then pushes the door open to Erebor. LOL!! Yeah, they're obviously NOT RA's own; they're huge and the fingers on his prosthetic hands are so short, fat and stubby one wonders how he manages to wield a key, let alone a sword! But they had to make everything to scale, so it looked like the hands and forearms belonged together. It's one of the few times that I noticed the obviousness of the prosthetics.

Very good points Old Toby. They do seem to switch back and forth with wearing prosthetics and not.

I recognized the prosthetics immediately too, but I do not mind since I so swept up by the performance.

Elves?!? I don't need no stinkin' Elves. :D

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 6:05pm

Post #12 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in March, 2014. We hope to see you there!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 11 2014, 6:25pm

Post #13 of 23 (220 views)
Shortcut
battle of Anulzibar [In reply to] Can't Post

was the first place I noticed his huge forearms. When he raises his arm behind him holding the sword, yelling "Du Bekar" and charging at the orc army. I was surprised as I always thought RA as being a rather slender person. Hardly a muscle-bound hulk (which is fine with me!).

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 6:39pm

Post #14 of 23 (213 views)
Shortcut
They are prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

RA has said in an interview something about missing these "muscular forearms".

That said, re Dwalin and Thorin, talk about maintaining illusion. The work is so good, like the faces, doesn't kill any buzz for me at all - just looks smokin' hot. It's amazing.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 11 2014, 7:21pm

Post #15 of 23 (209 views)
Shortcut
Well, in the name of research [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we should study the evidence carefully. I'll get back to you with a detailed paper of observations, um, later. Cool

And to the OP, yes, they are prosthetics. You can see the in the AUJ EE extras, there's a shot where he has them half on and is waving the hands at the camera. Smile

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 8:09pm

Post #16 of 23 (211 views)
Shortcut
Yes, these are very good prosthetics. [In reply to] Can't Post

They look very real and natural for his dwarven shape. RA's upper arms are very well muscled but his forearms are 'normal' and in proportion - definitely not as huge and bulky as in the film.

What a shame we didn't see him stripped to the waist when he was working at his forge in exile, never forgiving and never forgetting, LOL! But I can understand the difficulties of producing a whole upper body prosthetic to the standard of those forearms just for a very brief shot.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 11 2014, 9:19pm

Post #17 of 23 (197 views)
Shortcut
that would have been out of character [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves are massively layered- even in the heat, they still wear those bulky fur coats (made me about roast thinking of them wearing their coats in the middle of summer here! Oi...Shocked)

I cannot see a dwarf working at a forge without a shirt on. Sure, forges are stifling hot, but he was in a fairly open area with cool air at his back, and just in a tunic as opposed to the layers. Dwarves can withstand more heat than humans can, and even in the prologue at Erebor the dwarves working in the forges were still fully clothed.

They seem to be fairly modest in terms of normal clothing choices (unless they're bathing of course Wink in defense of the Rivendell fountain bathing scene, though, the fountain in question did seem to be a bit out of the way, and they may not have expected Elrond and Lindir to walk in on them Tongue).

So sorry to the "I Heart Thorin" fan club, but I doubt you will get a shirtless Thorin in these films...at least, not close up Wink

Kim
Valinor

Jan 11 2014, 9:30pm

Post #18 of 23 (190 views)
Shortcut
There is some concept art [In reply to] Can't Post

of a shirtless Thorin at the forge in one of the Weta books. But as you say, what with the layering and prosthetics, they weren't able to actually do it in the movie. Still, a girl can dream. Cool

Member of the I Heart Thorin Fan Club since 2012

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 9:32pm

Post #19 of 23 (196 views)
Shortcut
My Father was a Blacksmith. [In reply to] Can't Post

Working a forge and hammer/anvil without a shirt would be foolish if you valued your skin. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2014, 10:11pm

Post #20 of 23 (174 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm, well it looks like I'll have to study theses photos in depth [In reply to] Can't Post

and at great length in order to fully comprehend the differences between RA's and Thorin's hands and forearms!! WinkTongue

Excuse me....this may take me the better part of the day.....TongueWink

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 10:24pm

Post #21 of 23 (200 views)
Shortcut
Well, a shirtless Thorin at the forge [In reply to] Can't Post

was on the cards in the film because there is a drawing of him at his forge in one of the Hobbit design books. This initial concept was abandoned in favour of a shirted Thorin with his sleeves rolled up and I am assuming this was because of the difficulty of producing prosthetics.

And I have seen plenty of images of shirtless blacksmiths down the years, although sometimes wearing a bibbed leather apron. It may not seem 'safe' to expose all that skin but this sort of image spans centuries from drawings on the side of Greek urns, where the smiths tend to be completely naked, to Roman sculptures and reliefs of Vulcan, to modern bronzes like that in the main square of Helsinki of three blacksmiths.

http://cruises.about.com/.../helsinki032-jpg.htm

This is the image of the blacksmith that many of us carry with us and the art work of AUJ seemed to have initially gone along with it. How true an image this is historically, I wouldn't know but I do know that, in the medieval period, woman weren't allowed to work in the kitchens of great houses and castles because the heat was so terrific that men worked naked.

Even the dwarves would see the good sense of not wearing valuable materials or furs where they could be burned or singed in the forge.

No need to have a dig at those who like Thorin. There are plenty of people on here who like one character or another and have a laugh about their preferences.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 11:49pm

Post #22 of 23 (153 views)
Shortcut
I am content [In reply to] Can't Post

The soaking wet Thorin by the river and the NZ stamp w. the more open neckline (which I've often thought makes a huge statement about how keeping more clothes on can be 100 times more effective than having them all off) are about as much as I can assimilate and maintain a fake visage of calm, tho I am sure my blood pressure would alarm any number of doctors. I don't think I can handle any more. Seriously, just the leather straps around Thorin's wrists when he pushes the door open cause me to frantically fan my shredded popcorn napkins at the theater.....so yeah, modest is good, because in Thorin's case it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Srsly, the man (dwarf) is threatening our beloved Bilbo which is horrifying, but the primitive side of my brain is flashing red and thinking about the way that magnificent hair lays against his neck, and those eyes *slaps self*. I think PJ is just having too much fun messing with our heads.

I did have to laugh in the appendices when RA said something about his fat suit giving him a great butt. But from images I've seen of RA from other productions *cough* everything underneath the suits and silicon is akin to a leopard anyway - the man's a skier, and he and the other dwarves were in heavy training for months, carrying a huge amount of weight. I'd feel sorry for anyone who had to take a punch from any of the dwarves in real life, especially GM, RA, JB, AT, and DO.
Plus Dean O'Gorman is evidently trained in martial arts.

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 12 2014, 1:02am

Post #23 of 23 (145 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I wasn't digging at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's cute and funny. I don't personally have a thing for Thorin (I lean toward Kili, because he looks remarkably like my husband would if his hair grew out and he didn't have to be clean shaven for work).

But I don't knock those on here who do. In fact, I find it amusing that it seems as though most of the Thorin fans are mature, accomplished, and very intelligent ladies who start acting like teenagers and have a bit of trouble breathing/thinking when Thorin's hair or other body parts images come into question Wink

I wasn't meaning it as a knock at all. Like I said, I find it cute.

I think Thorin wearing furs in the forge would make me boil and melt from the imagined heat on the spot (how on earth did they manage wearing those thick coats in August/summer??!!) But I do think that him wearing a tunic was appropriate.

Besides, dwarves are quite hairy, and hair is particularly flammable...I can imagine the tunic would have aided greatly in keeping body hair away from the flying sparks.

And I bet he didn't wish to get hairball jokes from the humans that he was forced to work for in their exile so his family (sister and her sons) and his people could eat.

I am just saying, while I am sure many historic activities were done naked (the Greek Olympics had naked athletes too) I actually think it's within the dwarves' established character to be clothed at least a bit in open areas where ladies may be present (that forge wasn't exactly behind closed doors).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.