Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The White Council

Valodeus

Jan 11 2014, 6:41am

Post #1 of 16 (590 views)
Shortcut
The White Council Can't Post

What are your guys predictions on how the White Council will handle Dol Guldur in TABA?

I just watched Christopher Lee's 2013 Christmas message and he gave some exciting hints. He said we'll see a lot more of Saruman in TABA, who is good and noble at this point, and will show kindness to Galadriel and Gandalf, and will also be involved in the battle and even sword fighting!

i personally would like to see Saruman defeat Sauron, since he is the head of the Istari and the White Counciland Sauron is in a weakened state. Then possibly have Galadriel, with maybe the help of Elrond and Gandalf with their rings of power, destroy Dol Goldur. I've read somewhere she destroyed it by creating a tornado???

Anyways, here's a link to his Christmas messagehttp://youtu.be/BEhvKl9_5bg

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 6:48am

Post #2 of 16 (365 views)
Shortcut
My hope is Saruman has his shining moment [In reply to] Can't Post

to show us something different than how he was in LoTRs, but when you see AUJ I don't get that impression. We will see the elves lay it down for justice, but there is no surprise there. I'm holding out for Saruman though. I held out for DoS for topping 80% on RT too though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 4: Men)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=701444;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 7:24am

Post #3 of 16 (354 views)
Shortcut
Saruman, yes. Galadriel, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron/Necromancer needs to be confronted, mainly by Saruman, and sneak out. It is not appropriate for anyone to destroy Dol Guldur till after the War of the Ring. Sorry. The big battle of this movie is Bo5A.

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 8:21am

Post #4 of 16 (323 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel will be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there has been too much forshadowing, but the battle will not be with armies but with mind-power, spells sort of stuff

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 11:41am

Post #5 of 16 (280 views)
Shortcut
Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a bit weird that Saruman should be considered good and noble when actually, at the time the White Council attacked Dol Guldur, he was already acting solely out of his own interest, wanting to drive Sauron away so that he himself could look for the Ring. Yes, he was a crucial help in the attack, but his motives were not all that good and noble.

Also, I for one would definitely like to see Galadriel destroy Dol Guldur since we never got to see it in LotR. To get a visual of that is actually one of the things I've looked forward to the most in all of these movies. I really hope it is carried out at least in some capacity.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 2:11pm

Post #6 of 16 (246 views)
Shortcut
If I were a betting man... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd bet that Galadriel destroying Dol Guldur will be moved to fit into the timeline of The Hobbit. Since Dol Guldur isn't mentioned even once in the LotR films, having it be destroyed in The Hobbit doesn't conflict with the film-canon in anyway.

As for the "confrontation", agreed that it should be Saruman mostly responsible for the flight of the Necromancer (even though the escape is really only a feint).

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 2:27pm

Post #7 of 16 (232 views)
Shortcut
Yes - it doesn't conflict with the overall story of the films.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since they were never able to show any of the other fighting that went on at that time. The only question in my mind is what time they will have for it, given the amount there is to fit into this last film.

As for the actual confrontation (or whatever it is) with the Necromancer, surely rather than 'will it be Saruman', 'will it be Galadriel', the most likely (and I think most sensible) storyline would involve all of them. The entire White Council combining their wisdom, skills, powers... Saruman is their head, and from what Christopher Lee said, he will play a very prominent part - but given the importance of the business and the nature of the opposition, wouldn't they all do whatever it is they're going to do together, working in cooperation?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 3:21pm

Post #8 of 16 (210 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a mostly cooperative effort would be fine... [In reply to] Can't Post

..., but being the semi-book-purist that I am, I'd prefer Saruman play the decisive role with regard to finally routing Sauron. And I think that would make his defection in LotR all the more disheartening.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jan 11 2014, 3:23pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 3:23pm

Post #9 of 16 (201 views)
Shortcut
True.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it does sound as if he is going to be very active, so I wouldn't give up hope.

Rheged
Bree

Jan 11 2014, 6:00pm

Post #10 of 16 (186 views)
Shortcut
My prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine rather than armies fighting it will be Sauron and the nazgul (in their spirit forms) vs. the White Council and possibly a platoon of elves from Rivendell. Elrond can be the military man, leading a group of elves against the nazgul perhaps with Radagast supporting them with his magic. Meanwhile, Saruman, Galadriel and Gandalf confront Sauron with their magic.

The main uncertainties for me are:
1). How Gandalf escapes.
2). The fate of Radagast.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 7:41pm

Post #11 of 16 (162 views)
Shortcut
I generally agree with you, Elizabeth, but I wouldn't hold out hope. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the best we can hope for is Gandalf getting to triumph over The Nine ala Amon Sul ( one HOPES) and Saruman being the main contender for Sauron. Philippa Boyens is almost DEFINITELY going to have her Galadriel as Melian, Luthien and Uinen combinedmoment come hell or high water... And, truth be told, I would be kinda okay with Galadriel being shown going through and brining down Dol Guldur (I think her blasting the entire place down in one shot would be TOOOO much, not that I have any certainty that it won't happen that way) IF the Wizards show equivalent strength in other areas and IF the place is not so thoroughly destroyed that it is beyond reconstruction at a later date.

In Reply To
Sauron/Necromancer needs to be confronted, mainly by Saruman, and sneak out. It is not appropriate for anyone to destroy Dol Guldur till after the War of the Ring. Sorry. The big battle of this movie is Bo5A.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 9:15pm

Post #12 of 16 (146 views)
Shortcut
I think Galadriel will use the Light of Earendil to do what Gandalf could not [In reply to] Can't Post

That is my prediction. She will take out the glass phial, that she later gives to Frodo, and drive back the darkness.

Then, once Sauron reveals his proper form to the Council, Saruman will step in and have a moment of connection with Sauron. We will hear, using Black Speech, Sauron offer a deal to Saruman (e.g. "Join me...once I have found the One we will rule over these lands" etc.), who looks like he will give in, but then he raises his staff and Sauron is blasted back, over the side of Dol Guldur, returning to his shadowy form that fades away.

We see Saruman with a strange look on his face, as though he is not sure of what he's just done (the audience knows that he's considering the deal Sauron offered). Later it is revealed he took the Palantir which was there at Dol Guldur (we have seen it in certain figure/Lego sets).

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 9:56pm

Post #13 of 16 (137 views)
Shortcut
God, I hope not. No one is going to get that it is Earendil's shining Silmaril and its holy light caught [In reply to] Can't Post

in the phail. It will look like the sorcery of Galadriel doing what the Wizardry of Wizards could not... mmmmmmm

In Reply To
That is my prediction. She will take out the glass phial, that she later gives to Frodo, and drive back the darkness.

Then, once Sauron reveals his proper form to the Council, Saruman will step in and have a moment of connection with Sauron. We will hear, using Black Speech, Sauron offer a deal to Saruman (e.g. "Join me...once I have found the One we will rule over these lands" etc.), who looks like he will give in, but then he raises his staff and Sauron is blasted back, over the side of Dol Guldur, returning to his shadowy form that fades away.

We see Saruman with a strange look on his face, as though he is not sure of what he's just done (the audience knows that he's considering the deal Sauron offered). Later it is revealed he took the Palantir which was there at Dol Guldur (we have seen it in certain figure/Lego sets).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 13 2014, 5:48pm

Post #14 of 16 (70 views)
Shortcut
Like many others [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a huge Saruman fan and hope they do not give his shining moment to Galadriel. I hope to see Saruman prevail where Gandalf could not. Have Galadriel/Radagast/etc rescue Gandalf and arrive after Saruman has driven Sauron off.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 13 2014, 5:49pm

Post #15 of 16 (61 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

makes a lot of sense to me. It would give both Galadriel and Saruman time in the spotlight.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Jan 13 2014, 7:43pm

Post #16 of 16 (56 views)
Shortcut
This is how Galadriel and Saruman Will Deflect Arrows From the Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EknwERf3o

:)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.