The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Something I'd really like to see from Thranduil

Taladamir
The Shire

Jan 10 2014, 11:57pm

Post #1 of 15 (753 views)
Shortcut
Something I'd really like to see from Thranduil Can't Post

there are so many interesting little pieces and so much depth to this character, I hope he get's decent screentime in TABA. A flashback to the Last Alliance would be great. I was thinking about how his past would shape his present desicions, particularly the deaths of Gilgalad and Elendil. Think about it, he's fighting with the allied armies on the side of a mountain in the midst of desolation. Both kings die, and I think tolkien wrote that it mentally scarred him, he couldn't look south without remembering the horror(?). Flash forward and here he is again on a mountainside in the midst of desolation fighting with men and dwarves. What is he thinking as he watches Thorin and Bard lead the defence on the front lines? It's got to be bringing back bad memories. Picture him standing there just above the raging battle with gandalf beside him and a small elven guard around him. When the battle is at its worse with the forces below fighting for their lives, and they are attacked from behind, he orders the archers to direct their fire to save the kings, disregarding his own safety to try to save the other leaders. It would certaintly be moving, and though we probably won't see anything like that in TABA, I will imagine it that way whenever I read the HobbitSmile What do you think?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 12:11am

Post #2 of 15 (390 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

More Thranduil is needed!

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 12:12am

Post #3 of 15 (421 views)
Shortcut
the first part of the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see that as the first part of the movie. We might also see where the face-thing comes from.
But before we see the Dragon, that might be it.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jan 11 2014, 12:24am

Post #4 of 15 (378 views)
Shortcut
dont have the info at hand [In reply to] Can't Post

but my best recollection is he never entered mordor, Oropher fell in dagorlad outside mordor and thranduil and what little was left of his srmy went no further.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 11 2014, 12:39am

Post #5 of 15 (388 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see Thranduil's connection to the corpses that Sam and Frodo encounter in the Dead Marshes.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 11 2014, 12:52am

Post #6 of 15 (419 views)
Shortcut
Form Unfinished Tales... [In reply to] Can't Post

Within 'The History of Galadriel and Celeborn' chapter: "He had seen the horror of Mordor and could not forget it. If ever he looked south its memory dimmed the light of the Sun, and though he knew that it was now broken and deserted and under the vigilance of the Kings of Men, fear spoke in his heart that it was not conquered forever: it would rise again."

I want to see a lot more Thranduil in TABA, to include the wonderful scenes from the book. Lee Pace's performance was mesmerizing--he nailed it. Here's a great video clip of his transformation (skip to :58 or so for the Thranduil portion):
https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=mgIuLWXj6AQ#t=72

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 1:53am

Post #7 of 15 (329 views)
Shortcut
Would make a great prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'd be surprised if PJ & co. aren't thinking along these lines - the audience needs to understand Thranduil better, I think.

Name
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 2:09am

Post #8 of 15 (326 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

We know there was more of the last alliance filmed, so maybe they could even incorporate some of that footage in, even if it's majorly edited? I don't know, I know nothing about film and film making Crazy

My name is Name, which, name-wise, is a much better name than your first name, last name, or name's name could ever plan on naming themselves.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 4:57am

Post #9 of 15 (264 views)
Shortcut
there was…? [In reply to] Can't Post

wow i hadn't heard that! awesome! Your saying they shot more of the last alliance for these films correct?

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Jan 11 2014, 5:56am

Post #10 of 15 (262 views)
Shortcut
He's fanastic [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Within 'The History of Galadriel and Celeborn' chapter: "He had seen the horror of Mordor and could not forget it. If ever he looked south its memory dimmed the light of the Sun, and though he knew that it was now broken and deserted and under the vigilance of the Kings of Men, fear spoke in his heart that it was not conquered forever: it would rise again."

I want to see a lot more Thranduil in TABA, to include the wonderful scenes from the book. Lee Pace's performance was mesmerizing--he nailed it. Here's a great video clip of his transformation (skip to :58 or so for the Thranduil portion):
https://www.youtube.com/...h?v=mgIuLWXj6AQ#t=72

Elves?!? I don't need no stinkin' Elves. :D

Cillendor
Lorien

Jan 11 2014, 8:37am

Post #11 of 15 (215 views)
Shortcut
I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

they would scrap that stupid Dragon scar scene for the EE and replace it with a flashback of the Battle of the Last Alliance. It'd fit well, would only take a minute or two longer, and could bridge Thranduil with Elrond, etc.

Honestly they could even leave out Gil-galad because we've never seen him so far. Just replace him with Elrond, make it less confusing. But by all means, have Elendil and Isildur. Also they should have Durin IV with a name drop so fans realize that Thorin's folk were involved as well.

I imagine them gathered around a table with a map of Mordor discussing strategy. Elrond tells them when to advance. On his mark, Oropher will lead his forces from one side. Then it shifts to the battle where Oropher sees an opening and charges early, leading his soldiers into a slaughter.

Then Thranduil would snap back to the present with a painful shutter and tell Thorin that he's see that meddling in the affairs of the world brings. For him and his Elves, they will endure. If Thorin won't comply then he can rot in the dungeons, but Thranduil is an Elf. He is patient. He can wait.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 11 2014, 9:18am

Post #12 of 15 (204 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

there are addition last alliance scenes around and If I remember correctly, even Gil-Galads death was filmed but never appeared on screen.

In Reply To
wow i hadn't heard that! awesome! Your saying they shot more of the last alliance for these films correct?

I would also love to the this flashback, I always have and would have preffered this over the scar-thing. And yes, the dead elves in the marshes would be great, one could show Oropher lying there

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 11 2014, 6:32pm

Post #13 of 15 (147 views)
Shortcut
Loved the scar treatment.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"they would scrap that stupid Dragon scar scene for the EE and replace it with a flashback of the Battle of the Last Alliance."

IMO was an elegant way to show Thranduil's back story, and a way to remind Thorin (who, as a prince, I would assume had had education and knew something of the history) that this was a king who had seen loss as well. I love that shot....

But could really go for a TABA prologue of the Last Alliance, maybe with a fade-in to the opening scene of Thranduil either knowing the dragon is aroused and angry along w. news his son is now gone as well - e.g. it gets Thranduil on the warpath.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 6:54pm

Post #14 of 15 (130 views)
Shortcut
oh but this was filmed for LOTR's? [In reply to] Can't Post

i kind of doubt they will include it if they shot it for LOTR's but hopefully one day they will release the footage!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 11 2014, 7:50pm

Post #15 of 15 (124 views)
Shortcut
Leaving things open to interpretation is great and all... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but I really hope they explain the scar. For me, it made little sense and based on the myriad of theories discussed here and elsewhere on the internet, nobody is quite certain what to make of it. I hope they tie up that loose end so we know if it was a real scar that is hidden by glamour, an illusion to illustrate his point, or the memory of a scar that has long since healed. I need answers! LOL

I would prefer some sort of flashback or prologue.

In Reply To
there are addition last alliance scenes around and If I remember correctly, even Gil-Galads death was filmed but never appeared on screen.

In Reply To

I would also love to the this flashback, I always have and would have preffered this over the scar-thing. And yes, the dead elves in the marshes would be great, one could show Oropher lying there

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.