The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
epic prologue?in TABA..... *spoiler

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 8:19pm

Post #1 of 16 (1742 views)
Shortcut
epic prologue?in TABA..... *spoiler Can't Post

im hoping for an epic in your face from the get go opening to TABA and i presume it will be smaug destroying lake town at night and his death right?

then i thought, thats not a prologue , thats just part of the story!

will we see the first break from a prologue opening in TABA , i cant think what it would be otherwise!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 10 2014, 9:51pm

Post #2 of 16 (1189 views)
Shortcut
This has been buried about page 10 here.. [In reply to] Can't Post

PROLOGUE Idea::

The RECRUITING of the Dwarves in ERED LUIN?

Could be about 6 minutes in length? AND
Could Flesh out their Characters backStorys!

Bombur leaving his Wife & many kids.
"Don't go Daddy!" (Baby Bomburs?)

Gloin leaving his wife, & a small Gimli?
A teenage Gimli could look really cool

Oin reads some signs & predicts Success!
Some Wild Drwavish Ouija Board sorta-Thing?
and some medical tools?

ORI& Dori: Busting out Nori from Jail for Thievery?
Sets ups his kleptomania..

Dori volunteers to watch out for him...
Big Brother Chaperone?

Ori writing & Drawing says
"You two can't leave me!"
(Baby Brother with no other family )

Dwalin takes Bifur, who might get medical Help?
"But he is a Real Fighter"
Bifur is sitting in a corner
making little Toys as Therapy?

Fili & Kili saying goodbye to Dis!
could be a "BigTime tearjerker"..as
she gives him the Good Luck stone?

Thorin promises her they will will fine?
(Thorin's sister DIS...would knock us out.)

Bofur is in Trouble with too many girlfriends?
HE is a charmer, & many other Dwarves
would be happy if he left.

Balin agrees .."Maybe it's Time to take back our Home?"
Tears in his eyes... thinkin' about his
Dead Family there?

Dialogue.. that would overSHADOW
their Fates would make everything
that happens?.. so much more
personal to ALL of us....

And A STORY of...
going off to "War in the East"
is sooo. Tolkien.

Jus' a Prologue Idea!
& we jus' might be in Tears
even before the Actual
Movie...STARTS!

Your sentimential ol' Bomby

Rheged
Bree

Jan 10 2014, 10:22pm

Post #3 of 16 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

The best idea I have seen posted on the forum is a short prologue showing Bard's father passing the Black Arrow on to his son and reciting the story of Girion and how he removed a scale under the dragon's wing. The film then jumps to the present moment with Smaug attacking Lake Town with the audience knowing now exactly what the protagonists need to do to defeat the dragon.

An idea I had was a possible prologue in the Iron Hills which takes place after Smaug's attack on Lake Town: it could start with Balin bringing news to Dain Ironfoot: right after Smaug left Erebor to attack Lake Town, Thorin sent him to the Iron Hills to request military aid against the dragon and others who would want the Lonely Mountain.

Dain then asks what 'others' are interested in the Mountain to which Bard replies the orcs who have been stalking them throughout their journey. Dain then asks what the dragon's status is to which Balin replies that he last saw the dragon above Lake Town with the city in flames before he lost sight of it on his journey to the Iron Hills. The film then cuts to Smaug's attack on Lake Town. The main issue however is the difficulty with which the dwarves would travel to the Iron Hills.

Gandy
Bree

Jan 10 2014, 10:34pm

Post #4 of 16 (1015 views)
Shortcut
TV [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS ended terribly editing-wise. That cut to black and shockingly out of place song jarred me out of the mood and it felt like I'd just finished an episode of a weekly TV serial. Cliffhangers are fine. DOS just left a bad feeling at the end. Not a feeling of anticipation for the next movie, like previous movies did well. Just an odd combination of timing, dialogue, and especially the nauseating modern pop mess of a song that suddenly fills the theater. It just sucks the viewer out of Middle Earth so quickly and into a teenage filled shopping mall.

After suck an ending, I expect TABA to begin with a review with voicover by Gandalf saying "Last time on The Hobbit". After the story is summarized, we hear "And now the conclusion of The Hobbit"

Then it's 30 minutes of dwarves arguing, Laketowners being scared before Smaug shows up.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 10:44pm

Post #5 of 16 (1027 views)
Shortcut
I hope to see [In reply to] Can't Post

I would want to see flashbacks to a younger Fili and Kili with Thorin. I dunno showing what, but you know, background story to these three characters. At least Fili and Kili. To see more of the bond between the three since they're very important characters in this one.

Never gonna happen of course Frown

Or something with Thranduil's past. That would have been fantastic. Maybe how he got that face wound. Why he is how he is.

book Gandalf
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 11:09pm

Post #6 of 16 (1048 views)
Shortcut
maybe? prologue ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

fotr/auj = general story setting

ttt/dos = gandalfs unseen storylines

rotk/taba? = character backstory

so if rotk was gollums story arc maybe in taba we might get more sauron/nazgul back story?

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 11:55pm

Post #7 of 16 (961 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
will we see the first break from a prologue opening in TABA?

You're right that the cliffhanger ending to DoS (the first in the hexalogy) presents us with a unique puzzle Crazy

Personally, I haven't a clue yet. I quite like the idea many have circulated here about Girion and the Black Arrow being passed down throughout the ages but, to be honest, I think that's been pretty well established already and I'm not convinced, therefore, that it would be either (a) necessary or (b) fascinating.

I like Bombadil's idea above, too, about the recruitment of the Company and think it might offer quite an effective "calm before the storm". I'm not convinced, though, that it has quite the dramatic chops to grab audiences from the get-go.

One thing's for sure; if Dain doesn't feature in the prologue, he needs to feature pretty early on in the running time otherwise audiences may balk at his eleventh-hour arrival and accession...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Jan 10 2014, 11:57pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 12:03am

Post #8 of 16 (972 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The RECRUITING of the Dwarves?

That would be a lovely idea, one that would engage audiences even further with their protagonists before the ensuing chaos.

It would mean two "quiet" Prologues in a row, though. Mind you, considering what's to come, a think a quiet Prologue is essential!

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 12:19am

Post #9 of 16 (934 views)
Shortcut
much is possible [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see how the Elf King got his face wound and why he became the way he is

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 1:11am

Post #10 of 16 (956 views)
Shortcut
That would be epic indeed. That's why it won't happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am lowering my expectations... to the lowest possible level.
I just don't want to leave the theater unsatisfied, I just DON'T WANT.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 2:36am

Post #11 of 16 (899 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool idea but they could never travel that fast...

As to the first idea, its really a great prologue, but for me it just feels too similar to the DOS prologue. Just two characters talking, although about something very important to the story, which then ties directly into the time the films are set in. It works very well (I loved the way it went from Gandalf to Bilbo), but I'd rather it be exclusive to DOS since all of the other films' prologues and the way that they tie into the 'present time' have a unique feel. ROTK is centered on Sméagol; its his backstory and then it flashes to where he is now. Its also intense and a bit weird. TTT features an action scene with Gandalf and the Balrog which turns out to be a dream of Frodo's. AUJ and FOTR both feature one of the film's characters relating an old important event in history critical to the films, but again they are different as Galadriel is mysterious and is only heard while Bilbo gets some screen time and after relating the prologue he has a few lengthy scenes with Frodo, working as a sort of anti-prologue and making the entire film a flashback. So to me the DOS and the speculative TABA prologues are just a bit too similar especially for two back-to-back films within the saga.

Traditions have been broken already within the trilogy, I'm thinking this is another one that will be added to the list. As much as I like the prologues, TABA should begin with Smaug's attack on Lake-town. (but with PJ he probably won't be able to resist Smile.)

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Jan 11 2014, 2:36am)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 2:42am

Post #12 of 16 (893 views)
Shortcut
Hey yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili could work very well, they are both in Lake-town and will likely be portrayed as in grave danger throughout the attack on Lake-town at the beginning. Starting the audience to feel for these characters right from the start would be perfect!!!!

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

iduna
Rivendell

Jan 11 2014, 3:40am

Post #13 of 16 (894 views)
Shortcut
I'd go for Kili getting the runestone from Dis [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see a female dwarf like Dis get some significant screen time. She could argue with Thorin, then make him promise to bring her sons back.

Then Fili and Kili would say "Aww, Mom." And she could tell them to remember who they are, heirs to the throne of Durin, and so on.

That would be heart-rending, really.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jan 11 2014, 4:31am

Post #14 of 16 (855 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
The RECRUITING of the Dwarves?

That would be a lovely idea, one that would engage audiences even further with their protagonists before the ensuing chaos.

It would mean two "quiet" Prologues in a row, though. Mind you, considering what's to come, a think a quiet Prologue is essential!

One of my favorite films The Magnificent Seven .... the recruing of the Men is the best part .... if done well could be epic.
Not sure if PJ is into doing nods to other films though

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 5:05am

Post #15 of 16 (882 views)
Shortcut
my wish but most likely won't happen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil does the prologue regarding the serpent wars, it shows a flashback of him facing down and killing a dragon.

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

peterLF
Rivendell

Jan 11 2014, 1:50pm

Post #16 of 16 (813 views)
Shortcut
+1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much agree...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.