The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo crying in Taba

boldog
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 7:38pm

Post #1 of 17 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo crying in Taba Can't Post

In the book it says that when thorin died, Bilbo went away and cried. I believe it will ne very emotional to see Bilbo cry, as we haven't seen him do so yet. I believe if this scene is nailed it can easily be the tip of the iceberg for a nomination for Martin Freemans performance

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2014, 7:45pm

Post #2 of 17 (974 views)
Shortcut
After seeing the scenes he did in Sherlock in The Reichenbach Fall [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say we're in for some incredibly emotional moments. And it doesn't mean it has to be the obvious break-down-in-tears that some might expect. MF has the ability to convey heart-breaking, devastating loss without actually shedding tears. It's almost more powerful, I think. At least judging by his Watson. Also, I expect Richard Armitage is going to deliver the goods in spades at the end of TABA.

Bring cases of kleenex, folks!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 8:04pm

Post #3 of 17 (866 views)
Shortcut
my thoughts exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to come here and mention Watson's reaction to Sherlock as well. Smile

Noria
Gondor

Jan 10 2014, 8:04pm

Post #4 of 17 (860 views)
Shortcut
I agree. Martin Freeman will nail it, tears or no tears. Probably no tears. [In reply to] Can't Post

But while I think MF and some of the other actors deserve recognition for their performances, I don't think there will be any major awards for these movies.

I suspect that these movies are just considered genre films. more of the same as LotR, and aren't being taken seriously in the awards world.

I hope I'm wrong.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2014, 8:08pm

Post #5 of 17 (840 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

MF is really going to shine in TABA IMO. I'm going to totally fall apart during that scene!

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Jan 10 2014, 9:05pm

Post #6 of 17 (787 views)
Shortcut
I think it will be a combination of both. [In reply to] Can't Post

First Bilbo will convey that sense of heartbreak, and then he will weep. It's in the book, even, where Thorin was never such a nice guy. In the film-verse, he's a noble character who becomes corrupted and is then (presumably) redeemed.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2014, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 17 (715 views)
Shortcut
IN the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

it is sort of suggested Thorin was a noble kind of guy who was corrupted. By Bilbo, in his final words to Thorin - I agree this was not necessarily so apparent to readers.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 10 2014, 11:53pm

Post #8 of 17 (732 views)
Shortcut
If Bilbo cries.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'll cry.
Unsure

I hope we get some touching scenes and reactions to... you know, all three of their deaths.

Come to think of it I'd probably cry if Bofur cries too XD

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 12:20am

Post #9 of 17 (703 views)
Shortcut
as i think [In reply to] Can't Post

as i think it is likely he gave the arkenstone to the Elfs in order to shield Thorin from madness he will realise that part failed and he cries

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Jan 11 2014, 1:21am

Post #10 of 17 (677 views)
Shortcut
I think also [In reply to] Can't Post

the deaths of "you know who" will hit him very hard, but he'll sort of be in shock about it until after Thorin dies. Then it'll all just come out.

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 1:50am

Post #11 of 17 (661 views)
Shortcut
Who will die [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast ?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2014, 2:49am

Post #12 of 17 (616 views)
Shortcut
Do you really want to know?// [In reply to] Can't Post

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 3:00am

Post #13 of 17 (654 views)
Shortcut
Oooohhh....maybe! [In reply to] Can't Post

No I'm just messing with you Rickster since I know that you haven't read the books, but I'm actually being honest at the same time. No one knows Radagast's fate yet. As far as the books go, he is in LOTR but not the Hobbit, so its the opposite of movie-verse. Which means, just as they kept Azog alive and killed off Haldir (the elf in TTT), Radagast could be killed, but with all the deaths already in TABA, (you know who Wink), I will actually be extremely mad if the old, warm, cheerful, childlike and simple little wizard dies too. Then indeed the "dead would be beyond the count of grief", but it would just be plain horrific and would leave a hole in everyone's gut throughout the rest of the film. I think it goes down the same road as Bard's children being killed (which will NOT happen. We have seen images of the whole family on the shore of the lake looking at something below, probably the remains of Esgaroth, with very dismal faces so they will survive). Such deaths would arguably add a lot of drama, but they are just too horrific for a family fantasy movie and would make most people hate the film. The other deaths (which I will spoil now if you REALLY want to know, but you have to highlight them), Thorin, Fili and Kili's are easier to cope with despite our love for the characters.

Radagast must survive, his staff could just be a gift to Gandalf as he decides that he has had enough of wizardry and is ready to retire. Tauriel must survive and bring Kili's rune-stone to Dis. And with the way they have set things up in AUJ and DOS, I have no doubt that both of these things will happen.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Jan 11 2014, 3:03am)

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 11 2014, 2:17pm

Post #14 of 17 (567 views)
Shortcut
cool :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks !

legolin12
The Shire

Jan 11 2014, 4:17pm

Post #15 of 17 (596 views)
Shortcut
Estel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Radagast must survive, his staff could just be a gift to Gandalf as he decides that he has had enough of wizardry and is ready to retire. Tauriel must survive and bring Kili's rune-stone to Dis. And with the way they have set things up in AUJ and DOS, I have no doubt that both of these things will happen.

I hopehopehope you are right...I will already be a mess after the deaths of you-know-who so another death...Unimpressed
Tauriel HAS to survive!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2014, 5:31pm

Post #16 of 17 (793 views)
Shortcut
totally agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I hopehopehope you are right...I will already be a mess after the deaths of you-know-who so another death...Unimpressed
Tauriel HAS to survive!

I really like the idea of Tauriel surviving and returning Kili's rune-stone to Dis. (It's going to be like a kick in the emotional gut for me, but dang it, at least that's one less person who has to die!)

I also like that theory about Radagast simply giving his staff to Gandalf as a gift before he retires, but even if that's not the case, I can still see Radagast giving the staff to Gandalf simply because his was broken. After all, Gandalf got a new staff twice? during LOTR so apparently there are other ways of getting a new staff even if yours is broken or you have to give it to someone who needs it more.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19 2014, 11:08pm

Post #17 of 17 (490 views)
Shortcut
I definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

was thinking about Thorin and Bilbo as I watched that, too. It's going to be a heart-breaker....

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.