Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
IMAX viewing and the spiders - closed eyes, wow the music!

katalin

Jan 9, 2:32pm

Views: 477
Shortcut
IMAX viewing and the spiders - closed eyes, wow the music! Can't Post

I have a great, irrational fear of spiders. A spider, no matter how small, will send me out of the room, shaking and quaking. Hence, while I was looking forward to DOS, I was not thrilled about the spider scene. I so hoped it was cut from the movie, but alas, it was there.

First showing, midnight premiere, HFR screen, I tried to watch, but was unsuccessful, with lots of squirming. Second viewing, not as bad, third viewing, small screen, cheap theater, bad sound system ($3 ticket!) spiders were fine, watched the whole thing.

Then yesterday, my daughter and I decided to go and see it one last time before she went back to college. We tried IMAX, having never seen a movie on that screen before. Oh dear Lord, the spiders were not something I should be watching on IMAX!!!!

Two seconds in, I closed my eyes for the duration. This being the 4th viewing, I knew how long to keep the eyes closed! Wink What I noticed this time was the music, as I was listening to it to know when to open my eyes again.

I was impressed by how well the music and sound effects brought across the creepiness of the spiders! I don't really know how to describe it, but the sounds were so much as how I would expect spiders to sound, from the hollow clicking as they walked on hard surfaces, to the snapping of the mandibles (if that's the word?), to the glee as I imagine it when they see prey. It is as if the sound and music guys went into my head and put my imagination on screen.

I am sure the music and sound effects are like this in the rest of the movie, too, but I keep my eyes wide open for the rest and it all blends. After all, I don't want to miss a moment of Majestic Thorin Smile, but the spiders, I can do without. Much too realistic for me!

Subject User Time
IMAX viewing and the spiders - closed eyes, wow the music! katalin Send a private message to katalin Jan 9, 2:32pm
    How did you cope with Shelob? emre43 Send a private message to emre43 Jan 9, 3:23pm
        Shelob katalin Send a private message to katalin Jan 9, 3:30pm
            that's a really fun scene to 'watch' with closed eyes Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 10, 5:21am
    The music Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Jan 9, 3:36pm
        Oh yes..... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 9, 4:40pm
            The IMAX screen where I saw DoS Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Jan 9, 4:59pm
                Yes! I've seen it all but once in IMAX 3D and it is GREAT! Tintallė Send a private message to Tintallė Jan 9, 5:54pm
                    You're lucky! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Jan 9, 6:50pm
                Yes, the IMAX 3D does do something..... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 9, 7:41pm
                    3D IMAX HFR Kim Send a private message to Kim Jan 9, 9:20pm
                        Enoy! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 10, 5:06am
                            Yes Kim Send a private message to Kim Jan 10, 7:05am
                                Look for the axe head by the hidden door! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Jan 10, 4:54pm
    Right there with ya! Kim Send a private message to Kim Jan 9, 8:40pm
    I had a friend do this... and I did it once, as well... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jan 10, 5:19am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.