Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
IMAX viewing and the spiders - closed eyes, wow the music!

katalin
The Shire

Jan 9 2014, 2:32pm

Post #1 of 16 (496 views)
Shortcut
IMAX viewing and the spiders - closed eyes, wow the music! Can't Post

I have a great, irrational fear of spiders. A spider, no matter how small, will send me out of the room, shaking and quaking. Hence, while I was looking forward to DOS, I was not thrilled about the spider scene. I so hoped it was cut from the movie, but alas, it was there.

First showing, midnight premiere, HFR screen, I tried to watch, but was unsuccessful, with lots of squirming. Second viewing, not as bad, third viewing, small screen, cheap theater, bad sound system ($3 ticket!) spiders were fine, watched the whole thing.

Then yesterday, my daughter and I decided to go and see it one last time before she went back to college. We tried IMAX, having never seen a movie on that screen before. Oh dear Lord, the spiders were not something I should be watching on IMAX!!!!

Two seconds in, I closed my eyes for the duration. This being the 4th viewing, I knew how long to keep the eyes closed! Wink What I noticed this time was the music, as I was listening to it to know when to open my eyes again.

I was impressed by how well the music and sound effects brought across the creepiness of the spiders! I don't really know how to describe it, but the sounds were so much as how I would expect spiders to sound, from the hollow clicking as they walked on hard surfaces, to the snapping of the mandibles (if that's the word?), to the glee as I imagine it when they see prey. It is as if the sound and music guys went into my head and put my imagination on screen.

I am sure the music and sound effects are like this in the rest of the movie, too, but I keep my eyes wide open for the rest and it all blends. After all, I don't want to miss a moment of Majestic Thorin Smile, but the spiders, I can do without. Much too realistic for me!

emre43
Lorien

Jan 9 2014, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 16 (248 views)
Shortcut
How did you cope with Shelob? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

katalin
The Shire

Jan 9 2014, 3:30pm

Post #3 of 16 (256 views)
Shortcut
Shelob [In reply to] Can't Post

Bathroom breaks! Always seemed to need one right about that point. Blush

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2014, 3:36pm

Post #4 of 16 (233 views)
Shortcut
The music [In reply to] Can't Post

My son is creeped out by even the spiders theme on the soundtrack, and he's never seen the movie! You're right--the music is very effective at getting the idea of spiders across. Cool

As for the IMAX, I'm not an arachnophobe, but I can understand where you're coming from. The spiders were way too big...and close...in 3D! Thorin, on the other hand, was not too big and close. Angelic

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 9 2014, 4:40pm

Post #5 of 16 (187 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes..... [In reply to] Can't Post

The close-up of Thorin and watching just the expression in his eyes darken as he begins to respond to Thranduil - one of the most effective close-ups is the whole movie (and part of my brain is thinking, geez, this guy is beautiful....). Points to the closeups of Thranduil as well. I don't know how movies are filmed and how decisions are made re far shots vs. closeups, but I would be sticking a camera in these two guys faces all the time.
(And another point for the closeup of Thorin's face at the river, which gave new meaning to the phrase "smouldering eyes")

Re spiders I love them, beautiful, fascinating, and provide endless entertainment for the cats, plus they eat all the nasty bugs. So I am really enjoying the "realistic" portrayal of the DOS spiders - the colors, the way they move. (But I have this fear of concrete "Jersey walls" when they are right on the edge of a road - keep thinking there is no room for error and I will run into them. Roads under construction are a real terror and there are so many of them. Everyone has SOMETHING that they'd sooner avoid!)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2014, 4:59pm

Post #6 of 16 (195 views)
Shortcut
The IMAX screen where I saw DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

is six stories high, and I was blessing every inch of it where Thorin is concerned, I can tell you. Evil *falls into blissful reverie*

In Reply To
The close-up of Thorin and watching just the expression in his eyes darken as he begins to respond to Thranduil - one of the most effective close-ups is the whole movie (and part of my brain is thinking, geez, this guy is beautiful....). Points to the closeups of Thranduil as well. I don't know how movies are filmed and how decisions are made re far shots vs. closeups, but I would be sticking a camera in these two guys faces all the time.
(And another point for the closeup of Thorin's face at the river, which gave new meaning to the phrase "smouldering eyes")

*ahem* Anyway, regarding IMAX...I found that seeing Thorin in the prologue walking into Bree in IMAX format was very interesting. I really experienced his small Dwarven size for the first time in the series. I mean, I knew in my head he was supposed to be small, but it wasn't until IMAX 3D that I felt it. And I never got that same impression from seeing the movie on regular screens, even in 3D. Did anyone else have this particular experience?

That was one instance that stuck out for me, but generally I felt very much more immersed in the story with IMAX 3D. I could practically smell the inside of Beorn's house, and Azog was coming right after me and Gandalf at Dul Guldur. Smile

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Jan 9 2014, 5:05pm)

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 9 2014, 5:54pm

Post #7 of 16 (171 views)
Shortcut
Yes! I've seen it all but once in IMAX 3D and it is GREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

The theater shows the HFR version, no less. It is a terrific experience. I think my last opportunity will be today, though.

I, too, love the opening sequence in Bree where I completely believe Thorin is a dwarf despite my Armitage fandom of many years. That's quite a leap!

I think IMAX 3D completely immerses me in the film as I have not experienced with any other viewing format. I was not a fan of AUJ in IMAX (which I tried only once), but this movie sings and soars.

Ack! What time is it? I want to go again. . . !!!!!!!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2014, 6:50pm

Post #8 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
You're lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

I only got to see it my first time in IMAX, but that's all. I can't afford to pay for parking ($11) PLUS the cost of a movie ticket near my local IMAX theater. (It doesn't help that I got a parking ticket the first time either! Blush) But if they have a marathon when TABA comes out, I will SO be there, parking costs or no parking costs! Heart
I hope you're able to get another viewing in!!

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 9 2014, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 16 (138 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the IMAX 3D does do something..... [In reply to] Can't Post

After my first viewing - since I live urban w. lots of theaters (one advantage I guess, along w. the high costs, crime, crowds....) I rotated from theater to theater but the floor-to-ceiling IMAX is my definite favorite - because it makes you feel like you are THERE, like when Beorn is standing over Thorin, the towering cliffs of the High Fells, Dol Guldur, the weight of Mirkwood - and the HUGENESS of the spiders, when the dwarves all grab a spider leg. And it feels like I am there at the overlook, climbing up the statue, and the bleakness of the gritty area around Erebor - plus Erebor and Smaug itself. DOS is certainly a movie that does a great IMAX screen and sound system justice. Not to mention when an orc head comes flying at me. I feel a little sad thinking I'll never see this movie "this good" again, probably, but what an experience.
I insist that people I see it with see it this way - they all leave happy, too - and I never act like that re movies.

"I was blessing every inch of it where Thorin is concerned, I can tell you."

You are not alone - those Thorin closeups are places I'm frozen in wonder - RA has a face that was born for a movie camera IMO. Magnificent performance, and the way that tangled dark mane frames that face and those impossibly beautiful eyes, luminous skin and that heart-stopping voice and he's so absurdly masculine *cough - shakes self.....*

Unfortunately the recent conversations on this board, LOL, have convinced me I need to go at least one last time....I can't stand it......just once more!Evil

Kim
Valinor

Jan 9 2014, 8:40pm

Post #10 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
Right there with ya! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too love IMAX and hate spiders, and was not looking forward to seeing them that large, and in 3D no less. And listening to the soundtrack is enough to give me the creeps as well. I have noticed, though, that I am able to watch these spiders through my fingers whereas with Shelob, I still cannot watch that scene to this day! I think it's the black, hairy spider look that really gets to me. And maybe, in a weird way, since there's only one to focus on, it's worse that having the multiple ones in DOS. OK, that's enough thinking about spiders for one day.

On the other hand, Thorin in IMAX - now there's a sight to see! And I have, over and over again... Wink

Kim
Valinor

Jan 9 2014, 9:20pm

Post #11 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
3D IMAX HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

plus Thorin = 2 hrs 41 mins of staring at the screen mesmerized. All those close ups - frozen in wonder indeed. Thorin with Thranduil...at the riverbank...at the window of Bard's house...on the lake sailing towards the Lonely Mountain...when he picks up the key...going into Erebor...if only we could pause the movie screen and just stare - sigh.

I did see the movie in 2D and 3D HFR for comparison, and while they were good, the IMAX screen just blows them out of the water. I think this weekend might be the last in IMAX, so am looking forward to that final viewing.

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 10 2014, 5:06am

Post #12 of 16 (57 views)
Shortcut
Enoy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got back from a compulsive re-see at the IMAX - funny you mention the lake, one thing that struck me on this viewing was just how kingly Thorin looks at the lake crossing.

Another thing that struck me is that from the time Thorin goes over the side of the pit until he is pulled up, how carefully that is done. Thorin actually pulls his feet aside as the dragon comes up at him, it's all very real. Some folks may complain about the end being over the top, but every move seems to be realistically spelled out, including Smaug's movements and body in the gallery of the kings.

Hope you and anyone else who wants to gets to get a re-watch this weekend - I can't wait for the DVD/BR so I can freeze the picture and linger on scene after scene. Even better to watch AUJ and then DOS - tho, if I could, I might re-edit and have Erebor/Smaug, then Bree, then AUJ and then the rest of DOS. But I'm going to miss the IMAX for sure.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2014, 5:19am

Post #13 of 16 (62 views)
Shortcut
I had a friend do this... and I did it once, as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...watch the entire movie in the theater with our eyes closed. (We weren't together)

I can't remember which movie it was but I think it was TTT.

If you're seeing the movie a bunch of times, it's worth it to do one viewing this way.

In working with the LOTR soundtrack, I've listened to pretty much the entire trilogy like this in bits and pieces. I have headphones on and I'm listening to the movies' audio track without necessarily watching the film. I wrote this on my website:
This passionate endeavor to ‘map’ the soundtrack has illuminated depths and nuances in the music but it has also enabled me a form a deeper connection to the movie. Part of my work has included pulling sound clips off the movie. In order to edit and then attempt to discern lyrics and themes, I listen to these sound clips repeatedly through my headphones. The headphones provide an intimate connection to all the sounds of the movie: not just the soundtrack and the dialog, but all the ambient, auxiliary sounds that add to the movie experience one takes in on mostly an unconscious level. I heard the clang of the swords, the creak of Lurtz’s massive bow, the grunts of Boromir and the sobs of Frodo and Sam. And they pierced my heart in a way they never had when I had the ‘distraction’ of the picture.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2014, 5:21am

Post #14 of 16 (61 views)
Shortcut
that's a really fun scene to 'watch' with closed eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob stinging Frodo is one of the few scenes I can't bring myself to watch so I'd always close my eyes. Then I was really aware of all the gasps in the other theater goers. I enjoyed the scene in a completely different way. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Jan 10 2014, 7:05am

Post #15 of 16 (50 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That actually struck me the first time I saw Thorin on the lake - very kingly indeed, especially in royal red robes, wind wafting through the lion's mane, eyes glinting as he gazes at the mountain...wait, where was I? Tongue

Agreed on the Smaug sequence - another bit I've noticed is that when Thorin does land on Smaug's nose, he's there for approx. 2 seconds, then Smaug starts to open his mouth and you can see the fire coming up his throat. Thorin was very quick to jump off as soon as he had the balance to do so. Every time I watch the sequence, I appreciate more and more just how well timed and choreographed it is, without actually appearing to be overtly so.

Can't wait to see what I'll spot on Saturday!

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 10 2014, 4:54pm

Post #16 of 16 (42 views)
Shortcut
Look for the axe head by the hidden door! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I actually love that because Smaug seems like he is enjoying the moment, horribly, his mouth slowly opening and that black tongue - SO confident. And I noticed Dwalin had real fear in his eyes re Thorin, and Nori's quick thinking to cut a rope that would cause stuff to hit Smaug - and Thorin is barely hanging on when he jumps. Does the more general audience even notice these are the AUJ "mining stools" that Thorin is hanging onto? Such a cool detail!

Someone had posted there was a broken axe from hitting the door so hard, and I was trying to look, but I ended up staring at MF and RA. It's a little thing but that eye for detail and realism is one of the amazing things about PJ's work. Anyway I missed the axe!

The shots are so fast, but also the utter scale and emptiness of Erebor is something else I noticed. And Gloin giving Bilbo a look when the coin drops. And also, my King has lost ANOTHER sword - good thing looks like there are plenty of them in the horde, along with mirrors, plates and just all kinds of stuff.....

Have a great time at DOS - me, I'm going to settle in - my area has rain coming in for the weekend so I went to the IMAX Thursday re less people - so I'm in the mood to re-watch the EE AUJ. But for a movie that has been out and a cold Thursday night, there were still a fair number of people at the theater for DOS. Suspect DOS will get a little attendance bounce this weekend, once people look around and realize the newer offerings aren't that compelling.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.