Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Help settle a family debate...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 10 2014, 5:04pm

Post #26 of 39 (349 views)
Shortcut
I hear his voice make a little gurgling sound at the beginning of the word [In reply to] Can't Post

which can sound a little like a 'buh'. But he definitely says "line". And there is no 'duh' sound at the end of the word. It's "line".

Matching up the mouth movements doesn't work that well for me here, because as a skull/ghost/...thing Tongue , he doesn't exactly have any lips and I noticed most of his dialogue doesn't match up precisely to his lip movements.

I'd say Wifey wins this round Sly - but also, may I say it's SO COOL that you both like the movies and watch them together SmileSmileSmile! Next time you watch FOTR, ask her if she thinks the Balrog has wings Wink!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2014, 5:53pm

Post #27 of 39 (347 views)
Shortcut
maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

this dialog was looped in ADR and Viggo just made a mistake that wasn't caught.

I think in many cases the captions are derived from the written script so if blade is the word that was meant to be said and that Viggo originally said, it could explain the discrepancy.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2014, 8:19pm

Post #28 of 39 (330 views)
Shortcut
The King of the Dead said it, not Viggo// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2014, 8:52pm

Post #29 of 39 (337 views)
Shortcut
ah, thanks for the correction. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry... it's not that I didn't know that. I was just not putting the full weight of my thinking behind the matter! :-)

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Jan 11 2014, 1:03am

Post #30 of 39 (327 views)
Shortcut
CC accuracy [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will say that, as a person who uses closed caption whenever possible, I have never found a mistake in the LOTR closed captions.

I can't remember: did you express an opinion over whether Aragorn says "hour of woes" or "hour of wolves" in the Black Gate speech?

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 11 2014, 1:12am

Post #31 of 39 (320 views)
Shortcut
no, I didn't // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 11 2014, 8:37am

Post #32 of 39 (300 views)
Shortcut
Vote for 'blade' here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never heard 'line'.

This is reminiscent of the 'red/ripe meat on the bone' arguments after FOTR came out!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 11 2014, 9:56am

Post #33 of 39 (297 views)
Shortcut
Funny how people all hear things differently... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always heard "line" and always heard "red meat off the bone", never anything else for me. But couldn't decide about Aragorn "hour of woes/wolves"- I guess woes makes more sense.
Re the line/blade thing, I have assumed the context as follows- King of the Dead says something like "Who enters my abode?", Aragorn replies "One who would have your allegiance" meaning he is Isildur's heir, so he alone can demand this of the KotD. KotD laughs, thinking that he is safe because the line of Isildur was broken and this is just some upstart- he goes to strike Aragorn with his sword, who blocks the stroke with Anduril- the only sword, wielded by the only line of Men which could do so. KotD is shocked and stunned, realising he is possibly wrong "That line was broken!" he says, almost as a self-justification, meaning Isidur's line. Aragorn's retort of "It has been remade" in my opinion, refers to both the line and the sword which represents it.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Bellerock
Rivendell

Jan 11 2014, 4:29pm

Post #34 of 39 (290 views)
Shortcut
Line, Red, Wolves. Maybe we should do a poll// [In reply to] Can't Post

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jan 12 2014, 10:08am

Post #35 of 39 (272 views)
Shortcut
it is line to my ears [In reply to] Can't Post

ive never heard blade although i have always thought it would make more sense being blade and line is in fact a bit cheesy as he says after it has been remade. But line does make more sense with respect to what is said by aragorn and king of the dead prior to the line in question.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12 2014, 6:27pm

Post #36 of 39 (272 views)
Shortcut
I'm in "line" with others ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I also hear "Red meat off the bone"; The Balrog does have wings; and Gandalf cries, "Fly, you fools!" ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jan 13 2014, 4:04am

Post #37 of 39 (253 views)
Shortcut
another misheard line [In reply to] Can't Post

is Bilbo in Rivendell when he says he wants to go back and wonder/wander at the powers/paths of Mirkwood so is it "Wonder at the powers" or "Wander the paths" given how Mirkwood is interpreted in DOS it makes it sound as if Bilbo wants to go back and get high again lol

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jan 13 2014, 11:26pm

Post #38 of 39 (226 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure that's "Wander the paths"// [In reply to] Can't Post

athenslotr
The Shire

Jan 14 2014, 3:55pm

Post #39 of 39 (235 views)
Shortcut
So interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

and while this discussion may not have cleared up our family dispute (it's still "blade" to me) - it has been absolutely fascinating to hear everyone's thoughts and arguments.

As many of you pointed out - its so great that we can have interesting and nuanced conversations about these movies a decade (and more) after they've been released. Long live TORn!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.