Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend? (or the last week or so
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2014, 5:46pm

Post #26 of 59 (170 views)
Shortcut
Caught up on a few TV shows and watched some of our Christmas gifts [In reply to] Can't Post

NCIS and Castle

Robin Hood - while folding laundry. Our washer broke before Christmas so I had *a lot* of laundry. RA made that go so much easier! Cool

Downton Abbey - it's back!

To Have and Have Not

Ironman 3

Tangled

I wanted to watch Strike Back but my Blue Ray player won't play it even though it was on the list of players that should be compatible. It's Blue Ray PAL so I haven't been able to find any software online that will let me play it on my computer either. RA so close and yet so far away! Unsure

So to make myself feel better I just had to watch North & South again. Blush

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 5:50pm

Post #27 of 59 (168 views)
Shortcut
Didn't see this until after I posted my reply to the main topic but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to sort of repeat what I said in that post, Pride & Prejudice and The Secret Garden are movies that I normally like to watch in spring/summer because that's when their stories occur. But when I watched them last night, it was really refreshing to have those reminders of warmth in the middle of this freezing cold winter.

However, I also like to watch seasonally appropriate movies that match the weather outside. If I had had the money to see both DOS and Frozen, I would have liked to see Frozen in theaters as it's very appropriate cold-weather viewing.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 6 2014, 6:03pm

Post #28 of 59 (171 views)
Shortcut
big fan as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially love that it has never become formulaic, as my beloved "Castle" often is (but not always, and not as much lately, yay). You just never know where it's going to go. And I love that Watson is stepping more into her own detective abilities and becoming more of an equal partner. Plus: Rhys Ifans as Mycroft, what's not to like?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2014, 6:04pm

Post #29 of 59 (167 views)
Shortcut
My dad loves Elementary. Not quite my thing though. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, my dad hasn't missed an episode of "Elementary" since it first came on. I'm glad he likes it and I think it has good qualities but I can't seem to make myself like it. Just not my thing I guess.

I much prefer "Sherlock" although I actually never watched the first episode of the 2nd season because of the whole "Irene Adler" thing. I think I watched the first few minutes in order to see how they got out of the Moriarty/bomb/gun situation but then I turned it off because I didn't like what I had heard about her. However, I've greatly enjoyed the other episodes, and the long waits between seasons is really frustrating. I want to know how Sherlock survived already!Mad

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 6 2014, 10:07pm

Post #30 of 59 (155 views)
Shortcut
Was this tv or dvd? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Lauridsen's music, but have only sung "O Magnum Mysterium", which I think is sublime. So moving and peaceful. I'd like to know a bit more but I'm in the UK, so not sure whether this documentary is available here.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 6 2014, 10:17pm

Post #31 of 59 (154 views)
Shortcut
DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

my choir had a potluck and watched it. We've sung "This Shining Night" and will sing it again at the end of this month.

It's part of a series called "In Search of the Great Song."

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 7 2014, 1:11am

Post #32 of 59 (149 views)
Shortcut
Just came back from this & enjoyed it very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

So sad that it's a true story - and that's all I can say without spoilers. LOVED the end credits as well.

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 7 2014, 1:14am

Post #33 of 59 (153 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree about Saving Mr. Banks [In reply to] Can't Post

Colin Farrell was at his best and Emma Thompson was absolutely outstanding, as usual. I actually teared up at the end of the movie. Like you, I enjoyed it far more than I'd anticipated - it was very, very good!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 7 2014, 1:05pm

Post #34 of 59 (151 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit, Hobbit, then The Hobbit :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only made it 19 times so far, and don't think I'll have the opportunitiy for many more; but I absolutely love this movie! It's better every time I see it.

Baggins Babe (England) also FINALLY got me to start watching Sherlock. OMG! I'll lover forever for that! I joined netflix to be able to see it :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2014, 4:00pm

Post #35 of 59 (145 views)
Shortcut
ONLY 19 times? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've only made it 19 times so far, and don't think I'll have the opportunitiy for many more; but I absolutely love this movie! It's better every time I see it.

C'mon, you can do better than that! Let's try to make it an even 20!Tongue

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2014, 5:49pm

Post #36 of 59 (137 views)
Shortcut
Hanging my head in shame over here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 4 times.

But I want to go again next week! Honest, I do!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

cats16
Valinor

Jan 8 2014, 1:41am

Post #37 of 59 (123 views)
Shortcut
Her (2013) and The Wolf of Wall Street [In reply to] Can't Post

Her: I really enjoyed this movie. There is a very neat portrayal of the 'near future' (maybe 30-40 years from now), with technology becoming more and more integrated into every moment of our lives (as well as production design that is very neatly done, too). The film provides commentary on the relations between man-man and man-machine, and how we could consider a revision--or, perhaps more accurately, a coexistence--of these interactions, and what it means to be human. Joaquin Phoenix gives a tremendous performance, as does Scarlett Johansson and Amy Adams. The film did have a couple of moments that felt forced, which deflated it slightly in my mind. But still, overall, a fantastic film.

The Wolf of Wall Street: Ended up enjoying this film much more than I would've guessed (not that I didn't have high expectations!). I had read beforehand that some viewers felt that the creative team was condoning the behavior of the characters in the movie. I see it in the exact opposite direction, in fact. To me, it was quite clear what Scorsese was expressing here. I also found this movie surprisingly comparable to Goodfellas.

Great performances by the leads really make the film the tour-de-force that it is. One scene, in particular, (the only spoiler I'll say: country club [not even a real spoiler]) ranks among one of the best I've seen in sometime, as well as one of Scorsese's best. It's ferocious, yet confident. It's loose, yet subtly orchestrated. That scene really stood out to me, and acted as a great pivot toward the film's final act. Overall, I think it's one of the year's best films, and one I'll surely watch again at home.

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 8 2014, 2:39am

Post #38 of 59 (149 views)
Shortcut
Me too. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Today was number 5. I think. I'm pretty sure.

So far I've seen it in 3D IMAX HFR 4 out of those 5 times and it's GREAT! I'm hoping to go once more before Friday, when I think it will leave the IMAX theater.

One thing, though - I am finding that there are not the gazillion little background details that made every viewing of AUJ such a voyage of discovery. Aside from Oin's ear trumpet going from smashed to restored the details are not as rich in this installment. Not a complaint - just an observation.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 8 2014, 3:20am

Post #39 of 59 (119 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gone once, and I'm done, so everything's relative.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2014, 4:55am

Post #40 of 59 (108 views)
Shortcut
The Bletchey Circle [In reply to] Can't Post

Set in the 1950s. We meet four of the women who worked as code breakers at Bletchley Park during WWII, and who are doing their best to adjust to "ordinary" life, with varying degrees of success. To quote a summary of the first series: "A series of murders takes place that seem to have a pattern. The police apparently overlook the pattern, so the women start investigating themselves." A clever idea, well executed.

We also had our traditional viewing of Twelfth Night on Twelfth Night. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jan 9 2014, 1:08am

Post #41 of 59 (92 views)
Shortcut
Several [In reply to] Can't Post

The Secret of Moonacre which is lovely and has fabulous costuming
RIPD which made me lose brain cells.
The Lone Ranger which made me lose more brain cells.
The Two Towers

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 9 2014, 1:23am

Post #42 of 59 (98 views)
Shortcut
Nebraska and Inside Llewyn Davis [In reply to] Can't Post

both of which I found rather tedious, to be honest.

Nebraska plods along at a maddeningly slow pace, much like nealy all of the characters in it. Bruce Dern does turn in a fantastic performance and many of the actors do a fine job, but there's so little plot and so many long, silent stretches that I found myself wishing it would just end already. It's pretty bad when I keep checking my watch to see how much I have left to endure. It also hit very close to home, as my 97 year-old uncle (who formerly designed submarines for the Navy) firmly believed the sweepstakes mailings informing him he had won millions while never discerning the fine print disclaimer "IF your number is the winning number." My father, too, succumbed to mail solicitations for merchandise and prizes as he descended into the long, slow decline of Alzheimer's. There are a few - a very few - humorous moments, but most of this movie is just plain sad, aside from the son's care for his father. If you relate at all it can be positively heartbreaking but only in a very boring sort of way.

Inside Llewyn Davis has very nice music and the lead is easy on the eyes. That's about it. It is depressing, has very little plot and it just ENDS in the middle of nowhere. I am a Coen brothers fan generally but I confess I do not see any point to this movie unless they were out to make the feel bad movie of the year, in which case they succeeded admirably. I cared more about the cat - cats - than any of the human characters in this movie. The soundtrack is probably terrific, if you like folk music, but I probably won't get it because it will remind me how frustrated I was to sit for nearly 2 hours and walk away completely unsatisfied.

Tomorrow it's back to DOS!

(This post was edited by Tintallė on Jan 9 2014, 1:24am)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2014, 5:45am

Post #43 of 59 (107 views)
Shortcut
Roger Corman's The Viking Women and the Sea Serpent [In reply to] Can't Post

MST3K.

It was everything I dreamed it would be.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Jan 9 2014, 1:32pm

Post #44 of 59 (96 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply fabulous. I'll say more when I get the chance, but for now, suffice it to say that I was incredibly pleased with the season 4 premiere. It hit absolutely all the right notes coming off of the season 3 Christmas special.

"Yet fairest of all are the willows of Nan-tathren, pale green, or silver in the wind, and the rustle of their innumerable leaves is a spell of music: day and night would flicker by uncounted, while still I stood knee-deep in grass and listened. There I was enchanted, and forgot the Sea in my heart." - Unfinished Tales

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 9 2014, 4:37pm

Post #45 of 59 (76 views)
Shortcut
Glad you enjoyed it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Told you to stick with itSmile Some of the storylines caused some controversy here, but viewing figures/ ratings were still good. The recent Christmas episode was a little silly, but at least it was not traumatic at all!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 4:57pm

Post #46 of 59 (69 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was shown on our PBS last year sometime. Beautifully done. I'm squeamish enough to have found it quite disturbing in places. I hear they're doing a sequel, hopefully with the same actresses.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 5:03pm

Post #47 of 59 (74 views)
Shortcut
We enjoyed the season opener, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

We'd set the DVR to record it, and then, when we sat down at 9 pm to watch, saw that it was a two-hour rather than one-hour episode. We'll just watch the first hour and save the rest for tomorrow, we said. Right. Come 11 pm, there we were, watching the credits roll.

Spoilers ahead, if you haven't seen episode one yet:

I love the scene with Cora and the nanny. I'm not so enthused about Edna returning as the new lady's maid---we've not only been there, done that with a scheming lady's maid conspiring with Thomas, we've been there done that with the exact same annoying and trouble-making character.

I'm looking forward to Gary Carr's appearance as the singer, since he plays the younger cop in Death in Paradise just beautifully.

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 9 2014, 5:05pm

Post #48 of 59 (82 views)
Shortcut
You know, I was fairly certain I would no longer be interested [In reply to] Can't Post

in Downton after the end of season 3, but I was happily surprised by the premier as well as the rest of season 4. (Being me, I watched the entire season online. Nothing like instant gratification!) I am happy to find that Downton is still a delight and the characters are still - well, still characters. I find one or two incredibly annoying, but otherwise I love the Downton saga.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 6:30pm

Post #49 of 59 (74 views)
Shortcut
Amen [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so enthused about Edna returning as the new lady's maid---we've not only been there, done that with a scheming lady's maid conspiring with Thomas, we've been there done that with the exact same annoying and trouble-making character.

As I said, I don't even see WHY they would go after Anna, and also, I really wanted Thomas to continue his "growth" that we saw when Lady Sibyl died. And why wouldn't Mrs. Hughes tell Lady Cora the truth - or at least enough of it that she wouldn't hire Edna? She could have said "Yes, I gave her a good reference so she would get a job, but she caused trouble here and I think she will again."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 10:01pm

Post #50 of 59 (60 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they were going after Anna to continue Thomas's feud with Bates. But you're right, I wanted to see Thomas growing a bit. I realize there are only so many ways to make the characters squirm, but I hate to see Fellowes taking the easy way out.

Ah well, it's a soap opera. A classy one with great costumes, but still a soap opera.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.