Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What we know about Bo5A so far - and what are your thoughts on these decisions?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 8 2014, 4:47pm

Post #1 of 42 (1204 views)
Shortcut
What we know about Bo5A so far - and what are your thoughts on these decisions? Can't Post

Here's what we know about the Batlle of 5 Armies so far, as far as the film is concerned:

1. It will take place in the snow.
2.There will be an aerial battle between the eagles and (giant?) bat-like creatures. Which also means there may not be a bat cloud to cover the sun.
3. Thranduil will have a few action scenes.
4. Dain Ironfoot will ride a WAR PIG into battle.
5. The dwarves from the Iron Hills may engage the elves in battle. (If Billy Connolly's comment is to be believed)
6. A part of the battle will take place in the ruins of Dale.
7. Thorin will embark on a suicidal charge.
8. The 13 dwarves will emerge from the Erebor clad in full armour (According to Richard Armitage, it will be a scene to rival the lighting of the beacons in ROTK)
9. Fili, Kili and Thorin are confirmed to die.
10. There may be more than 5 armies (?).
11. Legolas will take part.
12. Each character will have their own 'hero' moment, according to RA.
13. It will be more emotional and character-centric.

Feel free to add to the list! Based on what we know so far, what are your thoughts? Should Bilbo get knocked out early and miss most of the battle? Should Legolas and Tauriel play a large role or be sidelined in favour of the Dwarves?

Rickster
Rohan

Jan 8 2014, 4:56pm

Post #2 of 42 (714 views)
Shortcut
how do ou know [In reply to] Can't Post

2. is new to me
3. and 4 are new to me

how did you find out

In Reply To
Here's what we know about the Batlle of 5 Armies so far, as far as the film is concerned:

1. It will take place in the snow.
2.There will be an aerial battle between the eagles and (giant?) bat-like creatures. Which also means there may not be a bat cloud to cover the sun.
3. Thranduil will have a few action scenes.
4. Dain Ironfoot will ride a WAR PIG into battle.
5. The dwarves from the Iron Hills may engage the elves in battle. (If Billy Connolly's comment is to be believed)
6. A part of the battle will take place in the ruins of Dale.
7. Thorin will embark on a suicidal charge.
8. The 13 dwarves will emerge from the Erebor clad in full armour (According to Richard Armitage, it will be a scene to rival the lighting of the beacons in ROTK)
9. Fili, Kili and Thorin are confirmed to die.
10. There may be more than 5 armies (?).
11. Legolas will take part.
12. Each character will have their own 'hero' moment, according to RA.
13. It will be more emotional and character-centric.

Feel free to add to the list! Based on what we know so far, what are your thoughts? Should Bilbo get knocked out early and miss most of the battle? Should Legolas and Tauriel play a large role or be sidelined in favour of the Dwarves?

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 8 2014, 5:03pm

Post #3 of 42 (693 views)
Shortcut
Some of the recent interviews. [In reply to] Can't Post

2. The aerial battle was mentioned by Richard Armitage here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/...eviews/news/?a=71749 and also Peter Jackson - something about taking inspiration from WW1 dogfights - but I don't have the link to that.

3. Thranduil's fight scenes are also mentioned by Lee Pace in a few interviews. http://catsandbooks.wordpress.com/...s-the-hobbits-kings/ Apparently he's a "game-changer" when he enters battle.

4. For Dain on a war pig: http://www.theonering.net/...ollys-dain-ironfoot/

Hope these help!

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 8 2014, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 42 (649 views)
Shortcut
Will there be Human looking Dwarves amongst iconic ones? [In reply to] Can't Post

Judging by what they did to Beorns appearance,i have a feeling Bill Connelly will look like himself with little prosthetics given the reason of actors needing to show emotion,even though JRD was perfectly capable as Gimli.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Jan 8 2014, 5:32pm)

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 8 2014, 5:39pm

Post #5 of 42 (615 views)
Shortcut
That's anyone's guess.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, John Rhys Davies burnt his prosthetics after the last day of shooting for LOTR, and it's pretty well documented how much he hated them and the damage they did to his face - so they do hinder acting to a certain degree.

I don't know what you mean by human looking dwarves exactly, but I assume that there will be some variation amongst the dwarves of the Iron Hills - I wouldn't be surprised! I think it's safe to say we'll see some variety, maybe some dwarves with shorter beards. Billy Conolly's Dain will, after all, sport a mohawk and have skull tattoos on his head.

(This post was edited by Scorchster on Jan 8 2014, 5:40pm)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 8 2014, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 42 (613 views)
Shortcut
You don't know what i mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

Compare Kili with Gimli and then, you can see what i mean by Human looking.It is no coincidence that people keep saying Thorin is Aragorns father.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 8 2014, 8:22pm

Post #7 of 42 (532 views)
Shortcut
No 4 is in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

..and if you look at the last video blog PJ is laughing at a dwarf in full armor falling over, and laughing (I think Billy Connely was the brunt of that joke), and Bilie Connelly mentions the pig as well.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Jan 8 2014, 8:47pm

Post #8 of 42 (491 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if that title was a joke or not... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well number 4 is in the book as in "Dain Ironfoot arrives." But he is not riding a pig in the book. Tongue

Avandel
Valinor

Jan 8 2014, 9:27pm

Post #9 of 42 (498 views)
Shortcut
Er...... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Should Bilbo get knocked out early and miss most of the battle? - No, always thought that was a weak point in the book, and on film very dull. Think Bilbo needs to be doing something.

2) Should Legolas and Tauriel play a large role or be sidelined in favour of the Dwarves? - Definitely sidelined, but afraid they are going to make a big deal out of both of them, especially since it's hard to kill an elf, and while there are things I dread seeing happen because I care about the characters, also dread the suspected drawn-out "overdrama" of (probably) Tauriel's death, maybe w. both Kili and Legolas grieving over her, or she dies trying to protect Kili or vice versus, and it clutters things up.

Would enjoy watching Thranduil fight and Dain arriving on a "battle boar" - nice touch, a full-grown boar is nasty.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 12:25am

Post #10 of 42 (423 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and the BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1) Should Bilbo get knocked out early and miss most of the battle? - No, always thought that was a weak point in the book, and on film very dull. Think Bilbo needs to be doing something.

Fairly early in the production, we were led to believe that Bilbo would not be knocked unconscious early in the battle and his role would be expanded a bit. I know that this is likely to irritate some purists, but that is what we were being told.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

warhorse78
Bree

Jan 9 2014, 6:13am

Post #11 of 42 (347 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope Bilbo is not knocked out [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just dumb. One thing we do learn in these movies is that Hobbits are courageous people, and it will be nice to see him in the battle, and how he deals with the aftermath.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 9 2014, 7:25am

Post #12 of 42 (357 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't the slightest clue what you mean by human looking dwarves!

Kili looks like a slightly rugged, unshaven young human being. Gimli looks like a human being with a long beard with much facial hair. They both look like humans in this regard; not all human beings are clean shaven, you know. Tongue IMO all dwarves and elves and hobbits are human looking.

Unless you're talking about height - then both Kili and Gimli most definitely do not look human, they're way too short for that.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 9 2014, 7:36am

Post #13 of 42 (351 views)
Shortcut
That (sticking the tounge out) emoticon is really offensive. [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to be like that.It is your opinion and this is mine.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 9 2014, 7:42am

Post #14 of 42 (332 views)
Shortcut
No offence meant [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant no offence, it was meant as a friendly jibe. I'm sorry you were offended by that emoticon thing - though I don't see how it can really come across as offensive. Nevertheless I am sorry you didn't like it.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 9 2014, 7:54am

Post #15 of 42 (333 views)
Shortcut
The tone of your post [In reply to] Can't Post

Was,what made the emoticon offensive,i think you were jumping down my throat for saying "Human looking Dwarves" and the post was intended to be rude to me.It seems when movie fans hear someone speak ill of the Dwarven designs in any way they get worked up.You obviously didn't like me calling Kili, a human and Thorin, Aragorns father.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2014, 8:45am

Post #16 of 42 (329 views)
Shortcut
You really don't like our emoticon set, do you, Thorin's apprentice? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is merely a case of misunderstanding what the other person meant by it. A lot of people around here use that emoticon to express "ruefulness" or "joking/playful disapproval" rather than actual disgust because it has one winking eye and the tongue is to the side rather than stuck straight out.

As many of us have found, this business of trying to communicate through words (and occasional little cartoon faces) has its drawbacks, and one of them is the lack of tone of voice and actual expressions.
We've got people here from many different cultures and backgrounds and misunderstanding happens all the time. How about asking "did you mean to say this how I heard it?" rather than saying "obviously you meant to be insulting". I've found that the majority of the time people do not actually mean to offend and giving the benefit of the doubt often avoids having confusion turn into argument.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 9 2014, 8:52am)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Jan 9 2014, 9:13am

Post #17 of 42 (309 views)
Shortcut
iF i Understand Correctly don't taKe it in Unless im sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't you think that Emoticon, emotes being cheeky or rubbing it in your face in a coded text.? Blatanly It's Too Coincidential However ,you may be right.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2014, 9:20am

Post #18 of 42 (312 views)
Shortcut
No, generally not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people I see use it in an ironic-acknowledgement sense, not an aimed-at-the-other-person sense. In fact, I rarely if ever see people using emoticons maliciously around here; people usually are using them to try to lighten the tone. But the best way to find out for sure is to ask about the intent rather than to assume.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

patrickk
Rohan

Jan 9 2014, 10:44am

Post #19 of 42 (267 views)
Shortcut
By the way dwarves are humans... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 9 2014, 11:14am

Post #20 of 42 (269 views)
Shortcut
I'm right there with you.................... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only elf that should be "highlighted" IMO is Thranduil, and by that I mean his role in the book. He confers with Bard and Gandalf, he fights, he's around for the aftermath. The other two should be sidelined and play minimal roles. At least that's my hope.

But I share your fears, Avandel.

In Reply To
2) Should Legolas and Tauriel play a large role or be sidelined in favour of the Dwarves? - Definitely sidelined, but afraid they are going to make a big deal out of both of them, especially since it's hard to kill an elf, and while there are things I dread seeing happen because I care about the characters, also dread the suspected drawn-out "overdrama" of (probably) Tauriel's death, maybe w. both Kili and Legolas grieving over her, or she dies trying to protect Kili or vice versus, and it clutters things up.

Would enjoy watching Thranduil fight and Dain arriving on a "battle boar" - nice touch, a full-grown boar is nasty.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 2:50pm

Post #21 of 42 (227 views)
Shortcut
The Humanity of Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
By the way dwarves are humans...

No. Dwarfs are human (although other creatures can also be found in dwarfed forms). We are discussing the dwarves/dwarrow of myth and legend who are no more human than are goblins, brownies, redcaps, gnomes and other creatures of fey.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Scorchster
Rivendell

Jan 9 2014, 3:24pm

Post #22 of 42 (226 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you on this one, if Legolas gets more attention than Thranduil in the battle I will be sorely disappointed. We've had many significant Legolas scenes already in LOTR, Thranduil needs a chance to shine too. I really love Lee Pace's portrayal thus far and it'll be a shame if he doesn't get much screen time.

Also, his performance is likely the closest we'll get to an adaptation of the Silmarillion, at least for some time. His comment about him being a 'game-changer' in the battle is very encouraging though.

I'm just afraid that it's become tradition for Legolas to get the best stunt in these films already.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 9 2014, 3:41pm

Post #23 of 42 (215 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace's performance has been phenomenal! [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect him to be equally impressive in TABA. :-)

In Reply To
I'm with you on this one, if Legolas gets more attention than Thranduil in the battle I will be sorely disappointed. We've had many significant Legolas scenes already in LOTR, Thranduil needs a chance to shine too. I really love Lee Pace's portrayal thus far and it'll be a shame if he doesn't get much screen time.

Also, his performance is likely the closest we'll get to an adaptation of the Silmarillion, at least for some time. His comment about him being a 'game-changer' in the battle is very encouraging though.

I'm just afraid that it's become tradition for Legolas to get the best stunt in these films already.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 9 2014, 4:40pm

Post #24 of 42 (187 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm a Legolas fan, I do not want him to dominate in the battle scenes. I want to see Thranduil being a "game changer" in Bo5A as well as playing the role he should in the aftermath (they'd better not have Legolas laying Orcrist on Thorin's grave). I also want to see Bilbo doing more in the battle and would be equally disappointed if he's knocked out early.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Jan 9 2014, 7:32pm

Post #25 of 42 (161 views)
Shortcut
this is way I use those emotecons [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Most people I see use it in an ironic-acknowledgement sense, not an aimed-at-the-other-person sense. In fact, I rarely if ever see people using emoticons maliciously around here; people usually are using them to try to lighten the tone. But the best way to find out for sure is to ask about the intent rather than to assume.

As I know things can get pretty heavy around here, I try to lighten things up when I use the emoters.

Elves?!? I don't need no stinkin' Elves. :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.